Author Topic: El Paso facing pressure to declare migrant emergency as predicted surge looms  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
El Paso facing pressure to declare migrant emergency as predicted surge looms
By MaryAnn Martinez
December 1, 2022 8:57pm  Updated

Migrant crisis flashpoint city El Paso has run out of money and is so overwhelmed it released 1,000 people to fend for themselves on the city’s streets in November — but the mayor is refusing to give in to pressure and declare a state of emergency.

The Texas city is has become ground zero for the immigration crisis with over 53,000 migrants entering the US in October alone, making it the busiest border crossing in the nation.

The number of people flooding in is set to skyrocket in three weeks when Title 42 — a pandemic-era restriction which allows authorities to refuse entry to many migrants based on medical fears — expires on Dec 21.

Estimates are as high as 18,000 people crossing into the US from Mexico across the whole southern border per day.

In El Paso, over 5,000 people are currently being processed and let into the country each week, after which they are put into temporary shelters. Once those are full, the city has no option but to release migrants into the city with nowhere to stay, as city officials confirmed they did with over 1,000 people in November.

https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/pressure-on-el-paso-to-declare-migrant-emergency-mounts/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson