Author Topic: Daily border crossings have stayed near record highs, and the end of a Covid ban this month could me  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Daily border crossings have stayed near record highs, and the end of a Covid ban this month could mean a new surge

Estimates of the extra number of migrants who might cross the border daily when Title 42 ends range up to 2,500, meaning daily apprehension totals might hit 10,000.

Dec. 2, 2022, 6:30 AM EST
By Julia Ainsley

Despite new restrictions on asylum-seekers, daily migrant crossings at the U.S.-Mexico border have remained near record highs, say three sources familiar with the latest numbers, as the Biden administration braces for a possible extra surge of thousands more per day when Covid restrictions end this month.

Since it was imposed by the Trump administration in March 2020, the Covid protocol known as Title 42 has led Customs and Border Protection to turn back migrants crossing the border more than 2.4 million times, according to CBP data.

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., ruled recently that the Biden administration must lift Title 42 by midnight Dec. 21, although some Republican-run states have asked courts to block the ruling. Policymakers in Washington, as well as officials at the southern border, have long predicted a surge in migrants when the policy is lifted. They have warned about backlogs and overcrowding in border processing centers, as well as funding shortfalls.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/migrant-border-crossings-record-highs-end-covid-ban-surge-rcna59712
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson