Author Topic: Wokism at Arlington  (Read 471 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wokism at Arlington
« on: December 01, 2022, 04:15:46 pm »
 Email
December 1, 2022
Wokism at Arlington
By James Stansbury
Arlington National Cemetery is the latest casualty of woke cancel culture

I recently learned that the “Naming Commission,” initially proposed by Congress in 2021 to strip military bases of Confederate leader names has just made the Arlington National Cemetery the latest casualty of the military’s woke cancel culture.

Although the primary mission of the panel was to wipe references to the Confederacy from the U.S. military, it is now painfully evident the panel of eight did not stop with renaming.  Their third and final report issued in September 19, 2022 includes the removal of a 108-year-old Confederate monument from Arlington National Cemetery.

Has the panel overstepped its bounds to become like the busybodies in a homeowner’s association eager to punish others for minor failings to cover up their own?  And whatever happened to earlier political promises that monuments in cemeteries would not be disturbed?  No firm date is known to implement the recommendations, but since this commission is part of the Defense Authorization Act, most should be completed before or during 2024.

Although it happened on his watch, don’t blame Trump for this mess.  Fox News noted that “Congress created the commission in 2020 after lawmakers overrode a veto by President Trump, who opposed renaming bases that honor Confederate leaders.”  Obviously, it took a bipartisan vote in both houses to override a presidential veto.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2022/12/wokism_at_arlington.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 04:16:41 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Wokism at Arlington
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 04:20:58 pm »
Though Lincoln didn't live long enough to see it through, his goal was to reunite the country by honoring both sides after the Civil War, and one way to accomplish that was to name certain things after one-time Confederates.  Now our full-time confederates (democrats) are trying to tear it apart as they did from 1861 -1865 by tearing down the monuments to reunification.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 04:35:28 pm »
Though Lincoln didn't live long enough to see it through, his goal was to reunite the country by honoring both sides after the Civil War, and one way to accomplish that was to name certain things after one-time Confederates.  Now our full-time confederates (democrats) are trying to tear it apart as they did from 1861 -1865 by tearing down the monuments to reunification.

No doubt that was Lincoln's purpose; however, that purpose was accomplished, and well-served the country back in the late 1800s and early 1900s; there is no longer anyone alive who was directly affected by the events that purpose relates to, however, and thus there is no great problem with altering things.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 06:12:53 pm »
Arlington National Cemetery is a spoiled land owned by a confederate general and should not be the resting place of the USA's veterans.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 09:33:28 pm »
Arlington National Cemetery is a spoiled land owned by a confederate general and should not be the resting place of the USA's veterans.
Yep. War dead were buried there because it was handy, but it also ensured the General who turned down command of the Army of the Potomac to serve his native Virginia would never again farm the lands that had been his estate prior to the war.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 10:54:25 pm »
Shaky prediction:
Eventually they'll proffer that the name "Arlington" be changed to something else, because it was Lee's property and presumably named Arlington either by him or someone else "of the Confederacy"...

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 10:33:52 am »
I'm a little surprised some liberal hasn't suggested moving all the bodies to a northern state.  It is in Virginia, a southern state, after all and Lee's "home country" as he called it.
Thomas Jefferson