Author Topic: New York will close migrant ‘tent city’ less than a month after opening  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New York will close migrant ‘tent city’ less than a month after opening

Alex Woodward
Fri, November 11, 2022 at 6:26 PM·5 min read
In this article:

Less than a month after it opened, New York City Mayor Eric Adams will close a parking lot-sized temporary shelter intended to bolster the city’s already-strained shelter system after thousands of people seeking asylum, many bused to the city from Texas, unexpectedly arrived in the city this year.

Roughly 23,800 people seeking asylum have arrived in the city in recent months, according to the mayor’s office, but that rate has started to slow, prompting the closure of the so-called “tent city” in a parking lot on Randall’s Island.

Instead, people using the Randall’s Island shelter will be moved into 600 rooms at the Watson Hotel in midtown Manhattan beginning next week.

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Great job of planning! :silly:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson