Author Topic: Trump irks conservatives, could be damaging his political career by attacking DeSantis  (Read 3687 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump irks conservatives, could be damaging his political career by attacking DeSantis

Former President Donald Trump may be damaging himself politically by attacking Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican figure who has become enormously popular on the political right.

Trump, who is widely expected to mount another White House bid, has been taking shots at the Sunshine State governor — in addition to referring to him as "Ron DeSanctimonious," Trump has threatened to dish unflattering information about DeSantis if the governor runs for president. "I think if he runs he could hurt himself very badly," Trump said, according to the Wall Street Journal. "I think the base would not like it."

DeSantis clobbered Democratic challenger Charlie Crist during Florida's gubernatorial contest. While Trump said earlier this week that he had voted for DeSantis, on Thursday, the former president issued a lengthy statement in which he targeted the Florida politician, calling him "an average REPUBLICAN Governor."

"NewsCorp, which is Fox, the Wall Street Journal, and the no longer great New York Post (bring back Col!), is all in for Governor Ron DeSanctimonious, an average REPUBLICAN Governor with great Public Relations, who didn’t have to close up his State, but did, unlike other Republican Governors, whose overall numbers for a Republican, were just average—middle of the pack—including COVID, and who has the advantage of SUNSHINE, where people from badly run States up North would go no matter who the Governor was, just like I did!" Trump wrote at the beginning of the long statement................

https://www.theblaze.com/news/conservatives-cringe-trump-attacks-desantis
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Has Trump finally jumped the shark?  I hesitate to say yes, given all the other unconventional stuff he has done and gotten away with.  But this seems so over the top, I am having difficulty finding the 'strategy." Is he goading DeSantis?  If so, I am sure DeSantis is smart enough not to take the bait.

Offline bilo

"NewsCorp, which is Fox, the Wall Street Journal, and the no longer great New York Post (bring back Col!), is all in for Governor Ron DeSanctimonious, an average REPUBLICAN Governor with great Public Relations, who didn’t have to close up his State, but did, unlike other Republican Governors, whose overall numbers for a Republican, were just average—middle of the pack—including COVID, and who has the advantage of SUNSHINE, where people from badly run States up North would go no matter who the Governor was, just like I did!" Trump wrote at the beginning of the long statement................

This is just dumb.

If Trump wants to win for a 3rd time he needs to pivot. He can't keep looking back and denigrating opponents. He needs to be more of a statesmen and talk about how he is the only one capable of finishing the things he started. He really has to stop attacking fellow conservative Pubs.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Hoodat

Trump irks conservatives

Trump has been irking Conservatives his whole life.  Why would that stop now?  From his criticism of Ronald Reagan and Ted Cruz to his support of gun control, Planned Parenthood, Kelo v. New London, amnesty for illegals, and $6.8 trillion in new debt, Donald Trump has never been a friend of Conservatives.  But the bigger enemy still are his #AlwaysTrump sycophants who call themselves Conservatives while backing every single Democrat policy stated above just because Trump did it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

Has Trump finally jumped the shark?  I hesitate to say yes, given all the other unconventional stuff he has done and gotten away with.  But this seems so over the top, I am having difficulty finding the 'strategy." Is he goading DeSantis?  If so, I am sure DeSantis is smart enough not to take the bait.

Same here. What's his strategy?? I too am at a loss as DeSantis hasn't even announced he's running. Just the opposite; DeSantis has stated a couple of times he's not running. So -- Jealousy? Fear? DeSantis has taken some of the limelight away? I don't know. 

Why is Trump deciding to pick a battle with him now?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Lando Lincoln

Everything about it mystifies me. Why now?  Votes are still being counted. A runoff is on the horizon.  What was the provocation? How are we to know if there is one?  To what end is he doing this?  Surely he knows he is alienating support. It smacks of pettiness. It is juvenile and narcissistic on its face. I don’t get it. I wish it would stop.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Hoodat

Trump needs to come out of the closet and go back to being a Democrat.  The only reason he was persuaded to run in 2015 is because Hillary thought he would be easy to beat.  And Joe Biden proved it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Trump is inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity, and gifted with an egotistical imagination that can at all times command an interminable and inconsistent series of arguments to malign an opponent and to glorify himself.

Originally penned by Benjamin Disraeli describing William Gladstone, but it fits DJT like a glove
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DB

It's pretty simple.

Trump lives off people praising him and has to be the brightest star in the room.

DeSantis is stealing his limelight by being successful.

Trump doesn't rise to the challenge, he tries to bring others down to "win". It's always all about him.

Offline libertybele

Everything about it mystifies me. Why now?  Votes are still being counted. A runoff is on the horizon.  What was the provocation? How are we to know if there is one?  To what end is he doing this?  Surely he knows he is alienating support. It smacks of pettiness. It is juvenile and narcissistic on its face. I don’t get it. I wish it would stop.

That really is the question -- why now?  As far as I know there was no provocation. Perhaps pettiness, but I also reflect back at his presidential campaign which was chock full of ugly insults against his opponents and very light with his insults on Hillary. For a very long time I thought perhaps he was implanted by the DEMS to take down Cruz.  Those feelings are back.  Maybe the DEMS want Trump to now take out DeSantis? 

Offline andy58-in-nh

It is brutally sad - tragic, even - to see a person with such enormous talent and ability, who has been successful beyond most people's wildest dreams still sabotage themselves because of a terrible emotional insecurity.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online roamer_1

That really is the question -- why now?  As far as I know there was no provocation. Perhaps pettiness, but I also reflect back at his presidential campaign which was chock full of ugly insults against his opponents and very light with his insults on Hillary. For a very long time I thought perhaps he was implanted by the DEMS to take down Cruz.  Those feelings are back.  Maybe the DEMS want Trump to now take out DeSantis?

This is the Tumpy the Clown that has always been. That I have always seen.
I think what is happening now is not so much any change in him as much as a collective eye-opening among his supporters.

Offline libertybele

It is brutally sad - tragic, even - to see a person with such enormous talent and ability, who has been successful beyond most people's wildest dreams still sabotage themselves because of a terrible emotional insecurity.

:yowsa:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
DeSantis is a fool who is letting his ego get away from him.

The IDEAL plan would be for Trump to be President for 4 years,with DeSantis standing in the wings as his VP candidate,and ready to step in for 8 years when Trump leaves office.

This ain't about ego's. It's about what is best for America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Everything about it mystifies me. Why now?   

@Lando Lincoln

IMNSHO,this whole thing is being orchestrated by globalists who are working in the background to weaken BOTH DeSantis and Trump so they can put another globalist government in power.

With an unlimited amount of support by the press,of course.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

. . . by saying absolutely nothing.  DeSantis did nothing.  DeSantis said nothing.  And then Donald Trump showed up.  Trump is the one with the ego problem, not DeSantis.

The IDEAL plan would be for Trump to be President for 4 years,with DeSantis standing in the wings as his VP candidate,and ready to step in for 8 years when Trump leaves office.

The ideal plan would have been for Donald Trump to stay off Twitter and govern like a Conservative instead of handing everything over to Priebus, McConnell, and McDaniel.

Which is exactly why Donald Trump needs to step aside and shut his egotistical mouth.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

DeSantis didn't say anything about the presidency.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
. . . by saying absolutely nothing.  DeSantis did nothing.  DeSantis said nothing.  And then Donald Trump showed up.  Trump is the one with the ego problem, not DeSantis.

The ideal plan would have been for Donald Trump to stay off Twitter and govern like a Conservative instead of handing everything over to Priebus, McConnell, and McDaniel.

Which is exactly why Donald Trump needs to step aside and shut his egotistical mouth.

888high58888

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

@Lando Lincoln

IMNSHO,this whole thing is being orchestrated by globalists who are working in the background to weaken BOTH DeSantis and Trump so they can put another globalist government in power.

With an unlimited amount of support by the press,of course.

Well, Trump instigated this, unprovoked and hopefully he's not foolish enough to be working both ends. 

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Donald Trump is using his instincts.  You cannot have more than ONE male servicing the Pride. (And the GOP are pu&&ies.

Just watch Disney or the National Geographic.

If RDS doesn't defer and behave himself, he's going to be hyena food. 

As you stated @sneakypete ...go and run Florida for 4 years.

Then run, and put a dagger into this "Transformation of America" crap.

And screw the Committee Investigation.  We all know WTF was done and who did it.

I want them executed.  Every. Single. One.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Hoodat

Donald Trump is using his instincts.  You cannot have more than ONE male servicing the Pride.

This ain't Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.  And Trump ain't Marlin Perkins.

If RDS doesn't defer and behave himself, he's going to be hyena food. 

Defer and behave himself?  He didn't say a word.  He was sitting in Tallahassee minding his own business.  And then Trump showed up.
So tell me, how did DeSantis misbehave?  Or is this simply more of you jumping in mid-thread and making up a bunch of crap because you haven't a clue about what is being discussed?  This has become a habit for you.

As you stated @sneakypete ...go and run Florida for 4 years.

DeSantis has been running Florida for four years.  And he did such a great job, he got re-elected in a landslide.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

This ain't Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom.  And Trump ain't Marlin Perkins.

Defer and behave himself?  He didn't say a word.  He was sitting in Tallahassee minding his own business.  And then Trump showed up.
So tell me, how did DeSantis misbehave?  Or is this simply more of you jumping in mid-thread and making up a bunch of crap because you haven't a clue about what is being discussed?  This has become a habit for you.

DeSantis has been running Florida for four years.  And he did such a great job, he got re-elected in a landslide.

Go Ron!!   :patriot: :patriot:

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Donald Trump is using his instincts. 

And you think his instincts are correct on this?

Offline libertybele

...and the media is also responsible for adding fuel to the fire (of course)  This is from the Tampa Bay Times:

Offline cato potatoe

I don’t get why conservatives are attracted to such a person.  We live in an era when nobody is considered mentally ill, so maybe that has something to do with it.

With the loss of the Nevada senate seat, we are down to 49, along with perhaps a bare minimum in the house for a majority.  Unless republicans get serious, and quit nominating joke candidates, the democrats WILL pack the court in 2025, and they WILL add permanent democrat states.  They are one senate seat and maybe five house seats from pulling it off in January.