Author Topic: Goodbye, Donald  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Goodbye, Donald
« on: November 10, 2022, 01:03:43 pm »
Powerline 11/10/2022

A consensus is emerging among Republicans that it is time for Donald Trump to get off the stage and stop damaging his party and his country. It is reflected in tomorrow’s New York Post cover:

In the same paper, John Podhoretz, never a Trump fan, writes: “Here’s how Donald Trump sabotaged the Republican midterms.” Trump’s record is bleak.

Liberal fundraisers actually put money behind Trump-endorsed candidates in GOP primaries all over the place to help them prevail so that Democrats could face them in the general election. It was transparently cynical and an abuse of our political process. But it worked like gangbusters.

As Kevin Robillard of the Huffington Post noted on Wednesday afternoon, when a Michigan Democrat named Hilary Scholten was finally declared the winner of her House seat against a raving lunatic named John Gibbs: “With this race call, every single Republican who won their primary with help from Democratic meddling has lost in the general election.”

More: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/11/goodbye-donald.php

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Goodbye, Donald
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 01:31:14 pm »
Whatever Trump may be, Biden and company are worse, and they are in power. They've abused this nation and held it hostage to their dictatorial whims, yet people still vote for them. They've offered exactly nothing to fix the current problems, and deny that they even exist.

It's hard to believe that someone could get crapped all over by Gretchen Whitmer, but tell themselves 'well that bad old Trumpety Trump, well I just don't like that guy. He may not be on the ballot, but I'm gonna vote Rat anyway because I just think he's rude and mean.'

Sorry, no dice.

While Trump is being a complete circus act right now, bottom line is our candidates had a generally consistent message across the board in spite of our worthless leadership. In some places like Florida, Iowa, and many of the interior states it paid off in spades. In places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona and New York - nothing.

My worst fear for the longest time is that we are just a split country and that can't be changed. After Tuesday I feel like alot of those have been confirmed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 01:33:32 pm »
Whatever Trump may be, Biden and company are worse, and they are in power. They've abused this nation and held it hostage to their dictatorial whims, yet people still vote for them. They've offered exactly nothing to fix the current problems, and deny that they even exist.

It's hard to believe that someone could get crapped all over by Gretchen Whitmer, but tell themselves 'well that bad old Trumpety Trump, well I just don't like that guy. He may not be on the ballot, but I'm gonna vote Rat anyway because I just think he's rude and mean.'

Sorry, no dice.

While Trump is being a complete circus act right now, bottom line is our candidates had a generally consistent message across the board in spite of our worthless leadership. In some places like Florida, Iowa, and many of the interior states it paid off in spades. In places like Michigan, Pennsylvania, Arizona and New York - nothing.

My worst fear for the longest time is that we are just a split country and that can't be changed. After Tuesday I feel like alot of those have been confirmed.

That is also testament to the propagandizing power of mass media.  The dem/lib/prog survival is testament to the fact that the Big Lie is a valid theory of political power.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 01:37:13 pm »
That is also testament to the propagandizing power of mass media.  The dem/lib/prog survival is testament to the fact that the Big Lie is a valid theory of political power.

And that is scary as hell. 'Well I can't pay rent or buy food and gas, but the media says Republicans bad, so I can't vote for those scary scary mega MAGA election deniers!'

It's like half the nation would rather feel righteous than eat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 01:38:00 pm »
And that is scary as hell. 'Well I can't pay rent or buy food and gas, but the media says Republicans bad, so I can't vote for those scary scary mega MAGA election deniers!'

It's like half the nation would rather feel righteous than eat.

History is replete with examples of humans - usually in large masses - acting exactly like that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 01:38:15 pm »

From both directions. And both use it without discretion.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 01:39:03 pm »
From both directions. And both use it without discretion.

Not really.  The mass media is largely controlled by, and used for the benefit of, dems/libs/progs.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 01:39:58 pm »
History is replete with examples of humans - usually in large masses - acting exactly like that.

I know, and I fear that that's exactly where we are at. That is end-of-empire kind of behavior.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 01:44:59 pm »
Not really.  The mass media is largely controlled by, and used for the benefit of, dems/libs/progs.

Right leaning media spins everything too. None of it can be trusted, from either side, and truth lies dead in the street.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 01:47:46 pm »
I know, and I fear that that's exactly where we are at. That is end-of-empire kind of behavior.

It can be; it can also be start-of-dictatorship behavior, as witness Germany in the 1930s.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 01:48:20 pm »
Right leaning media spins everything too. None of it can be trusted, from either side, and truth lies dead in the street.

The difference is orders of magnitude greater.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 01:51:56 pm »
The difference is orders of magnitude greater.

Only in numbers. The rejection of journalism and the use of spin is about the same.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 02:07:44 pm »

There was an exit poll that really hammered that home for me. A majority of people polled want the government to do more.

I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 02:09:54 pm »
Only in numbers. The rejection of journalism and the use of spin is about the same.

I disagree.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 02:13:09 pm »
This angers me.  To blatantly publicly ridicule one of the greatest Presidents we ever had is despicable.  This is completely unfair. Yes the MSM and social media are controlling elections.  We live in dangerous times.

The outcome of this hit piece could bolster Trump's support.  It may cause Trump to become unhinged.  Trump is not one to back down but he may decide to throw in the towel.

Do they want him to announce he's running so he continues his jab at DeSantis?

If DeSantis doesn't run and Trump throws in the towel....then what?

The GOP would be screwed.  Cruz?? Noem?  Who? 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 02:18:11 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 02:23:08 pm »
I appreciate Mr. Trump's 4 years of service, as he helped infuse a new conservative (minus fiscal)  populism that has spread the appeal of right of center politics.  We are now a GOP that includes hispanics, and other prior automatic dim voters.  Much more competitive if we stay on message, and prevent dimocratic  cheating.

Trump now however, has exceeded his "use by" date. Some of his recent comments, plus helping us lose GA and PA with awful candidates has sealed the deal.  No more Trump Mania please.  Mr. Trump, please go the route of elder statesman, and help get Republicans elected in 2024.   

I am very excited by the prospects of a DeSantis presidency.  I think and hope he will bring much of Trump's message without the "foot in mouth" distractions.  I will take great joy in watching liberal heads explode.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:02 pm »
There was an exit poll that really hammered that home for me. A majority of people polled want the government to do more.

I saw that too. Despite government mismanage of everything it touches , do people actually want it to do more? If that poll is reflective of majority opinion, we got a lot of teaching to do
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:31 pm »

If DeSantis doesn't run and Trump throws in the towel....then what?

The GOP would be screwed.  Cruz?? Noem?  Who?

You bring up a good point.  If both DeSantis or Trump do not run, our tier 2 bench talent will have a tougher time.

I am fine with the likes of Pompeo and Cotton, but that would be an uphill battle.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:46 pm »
I saw that too. Despite government mismanage of everything it touches , do people actually want it to do more? If that poll is reflective of majority opinion, we got a lot of teaching to do

We definitely have a lot of teaching to do.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 02:29:41 pm »

Maybe the one main reason this nation is doomed.  Entitlement junkies sucking off the left hind teat of the Fedzilla Hog now make up 40-50% of voters.

Why vote GOP and threaten your gubmit check?

Offline LMAO

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 02:29:44 pm »
I appreciate Mr. Trump's 4 years of service, as he helped infuse a new conservative (minus fiscal)  populism that has spread the appeal of right of center politics.  We are now a GOP that includes hispanics, and other prior automatic dim voters.  Much more competitive if we stay on message, and prevent dimocratic  cheating.

Trump now however, has exceeded his "use by" date. Some of his recent comments, plus helping us lose GA and PA with awful candidates has sealed the deal.  No more Trump Mania please.  Mr. Trump, please go the route of elder statesman, and help get Republicans elected in 2024.   

I am very excited by the prospects of a DeSantis presidency.  I think and hope he will bring much of Trump's message without the "foot in mouth" distractions.  I will take great joy in watching liberal heads explode.

Trump cannot beat Biden in 2024. I think that’s why Team Biden is hoping that Trump gets the nomination.

Biden is going to double down on his agenda. Yes, there’s going to be a Congress that’s gonna pump the brakes on some of this stuff. But those alphabet departments still exist
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 02:34:04 pm »

A majority of people want government to provide solutions to the problems that government caused in the first place.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 02:34:54 pm »
We definitely have a lot of teaching to do.

We definitely have a lot of spending to cut.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 02:35:14 pm »

Trump cannot beat Biden in 2024. I think that’s why Team Biden is hoping that Trump gets the nomination.

Biden is going to double down on his agenda. Yes, there’s going to be a Congress that’s gonna pump the brakes on some of this stuff. But those alphabet departments still exist

I am great believer of Momentum theories when it comes to geo-political matters.  I fully expect 2022-2024 to be full of bad econimic news and data.  I think it will be bad enough that we won't even remotely see Biden in 2024.  Plus with an economic disaster (even worse than now), the dims chances of the white house will be pretty low.   Whoever the GOP candidate is in '24, has a great chance of winning.

My hopes is that it is DeSantis.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 02:37:08 pm »
I fully expect 2022-2024 to be full of bad economic news and data.

Expect a lot of spin, too.  Today, the media is celebrating that the CPI increase is only 7.7%.