Author Topic: US offers 'substantial proposal' to bring Brittney Griner, Paul Whelan home from Russia  (Read 236 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 July 27, 2022 4:11pm EDT
US offers 'substantial proposal' to bring Brittney Griner, Paul Whelan home from Russia
Griner pleaded guilty to drug charges earlier this month

By Paulina Dedaj | Fox News

WNBA star Brittney Griner, who has been detained in Russia on drug-related charges since February, could soon return to the U.S. after Secretary of State Antony Blinken revealed Wednesday that the Biden administration has offered a "substantial proposal" for the return of the basketball player and for fellow American Paul Whelan.

Blinken said during a press conference that the Biden administration made the proposal weeks ago and is hoping to speak to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov for the first time since Feb. 15.

"In the coming days, I expect to speak with Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov for the first time since the war began. I plan to raise an issue that's a top priority for us: the release of Americans Paul Whelan and Brittney Griner, who've been wrongfully detained and must be allowed to come home," Blinken said Wednesday.

"We put a substantial proposal on the table weeks ago to facilitate their release," he continued. "Our governments have communicated repeatedly and directly on that proposal. And I'll use the conversation to follow up personally and I hope move toward a resolution."

Blinken did not offer details on the nature of the proposal, but the possibility of a prisoner swap has been rumored since Griner’s trial began.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/us-offers-substantial-proposal-bring-brittney-griner-paul-whelan-home-from-russia 
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34