Author Topic: Bread causing $10-per-loaf sticker shock as inflation surges  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Kamaji

Bread causing $10-per-loaf sticker shock as inflation surges

By Thomas Barrabi
July 18, 2022

Bread prices are becoming another source of sticker shock for grocery shoppers during a period of decades-high inflation, according to a report.

The price of artisanal bread and other premium options has hit $10 per 2-pound loaf at some grocery stores – turning a pantry staple into a pain point for consumers already facing financial headaches like $5-per-gallon gasoline.

At a Whole Foods in Manhattan, bread prices listed online ranged from $3.49 for a standard loaf of classic white bread to $6 and beyond for premium offerings. A one-pound loaf of Base Culture nut and seed bread cost $10.49.

Fairway Market offered similarly steep prices, with a bag of King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls price at $10.19 and a classic brioche listed at $7.99. Loafs of white bread ranged up to $7.49, depending on the brand and size.

The sight of $10-per-loaf prices is “like a punch in the nose” to shoppers, Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia University, told Bloomberg. Prices have reached levels that “nobody has seen before.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2022/07/18/bread-causing-10-per-loaf-sticker-shock-as-inflation-surges/

Offline roamer_1

Re: Bread causing $10-per-loaf sticker shock as inflation surges
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 07:45:46 pm »
NOPE.

There is no way in hell I would pay 10 bucks for a loaf of bread. Heck, I won't pay five bucks.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 07:51:10 pm »
I don’t know about bread, but here eggs are over $5 now for a dozen
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:56:40 pm »
NOPE.

There is no way in hell I would pay 10 bucks for a loaf of bread. Heck, I won't pay five bucks.

Nor would I!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 08:06:58 pm »
Artisanal/Organic (anything) + Whole Foods + Manhattan = 14k gold brick
The most expensive place to shop on the east coast, in the most expensive store in the city, buying their most expensive goods.
It is $10 now, up from $8 dollars last year.

The only reason Whole Foods exists is to make rich White Liberals feel superior (more than usual) about themselves by overpaying at twice the price for normal goods. And they will show it all off at their next dinner party. Anybody shopping in that place doesn't give a damn about $10.

Oh my! Did I leave my shopping bag out? I meant to put that away ...

It's like being a vegan. It does no good to shop there unless everybody knows.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 08:17:06 pm »
NOPE.

I can't eat sourdough so, that's out of the question, but I can make wheat bread a whole lot cheaper and cornbread is even cheaper.  Only thing is, is it's difficult to make a sandwich with cornbread.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 08:17:56 pm »
Artisanal/Organic (anything) + Whole Foods + Manhattan = 14k gold brick
The most expensive place to shop on the east coast, in the most expensive store in the city, buying their most expensive goods.
It is $10 now, up from $8 dollars last year.

The only reason Whole Foods exists is to make rich White Liberals feel superior (more than usual) about themselves by overpaying at twice the price for normal goods. And they will show it all off at their next dinner party. Anybody shopping in that place doesn't give a damn about $10.

Oh my! Did I leave my shopping bag out? I meant to put that away ...

It's like being a vegan. It does no good to shop there unless everybody knows.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 08:19:00 pm »

Cackleberries are free up in here... I think we have around 70 layers... so we always have too many eggs laying around.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 08:20:45 pm »

We're at about $4.50 for a dozen eggs and over $5.00 for milk.  I'm thinking that it may be time for us to start using our dehydrated food; we have milk, cheese, meats, vegs, stews/casseroles, fruit, potatoes, eggs ... no bread or crackers, that's about it.  Or -- do we wait until food gets even higher?   :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 08:23:13 pm »
I can't eat sourdough so, that's out of the question, but I can make wheat bread a whole lot cheaper and cornbread is even cheaper.  Only thing is, is it's difficult to make a sandwich with cornbread.

Well, I can eat all three... Even at the same time.  :laugh:
I just have trouble making wheat bread. That ain't quite true - I have made it using that slurry idea - Leave the yeast out on the counter active for a few hours and sub that slurry for part of the wet of the dough... I made brilliant bread that way... But only the one time.

But I can make sourdough with the best of em, and nobody turns down my cornbread and hush puppies.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 08:32:53 pm »
We're at about $4.50 for a dozen eggs and over $5.00 for milk.  I'm thinking that it may be time for us to start using our dehydrated food; we have milk, cheese, meats, vegs, stews/casseroles, fruit, potatoes, eggs ... no bread or crackers, that's about it.  Or -- do we wait until food gets even higher?   :shrug:

I would be looking for raw milk and fresh eggs. Or get some chickens and make your own eggs, and trade the overage for the milk...

I ain't dipping into my pantry yet. I am still building pantry. and here in a minute it will be harvest time, and I will shove that pantry past three years this time. We've had a great growing season so far. If it went damn hot tomorrow and stayed that way, I don't think it could hurt the garden now.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 08:39:35 pm »
I have stocked up on flour and frozen bread dough...I may invest in a bread machine..I could live without bread but Mike sure can't...lol

I used to have a machine but it bit the dust a few years ago and I never replaced it.

The frozen bread dough...5 count is about $4.84 at Walmart...most grocery stores carry it and other brands as well.. https://www.walmart.com/search?q=rhodes%20frozen%20bread%20dough&typeahead=rhodes

I may buy a couple more bags...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 08:40:45 pm »
Of course 2lbs of artisinal bread = $10 @ Whole Foods in Manhattan

You'd think people who regularly shop at Whole Foods would be too rich to care about $10.

I shop at a regular supermarket, and the last time I bought ketchup, I bought the store brand ketchup.  It was less than half the price per ounce of the sale price of the name brand.

Wait until the limousine liberals on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket find out the latest price for the imported Provence artisinal butter that they use to eat organic or wild caught lobsters, clams, oysters, scallops, and sea bass.  Oh, the horror!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:42:19 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 08:42:46 pm »
I have stocked up on flour and frozen bread dough...

I am not set on flour yet... Maybe 30 pounds of white flour and 10 pounds of corn meal... That's plenty for a year, unless I am making my own bread... Then it ain't no where near enough.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 08:44:06 pm »
Always surprised by how many people don't know that you can freeze bread. It keeps for a very long time.
When you want to thaw it, put it in the micro, cover it with a damp towel (or paper towels), zap it until ready.
If you do it right, the bread comes out like bakery fresh. Soft and warm and smells great.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 08:44:48 pm »

Nor would I!

In my teens, I'd drive across the city on Sunday morning to buy freshly baked Italian bread straight from the oven.

The bakery was inside a detached garage of an up-n-down double home on Niagara Street.

MORAL:  Bake your own and sell it for less than $10 a loaf!   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 08:45:32 pm »
I'm sure this and other "hardships" rich liberals are enduring will endear them to the rest of us unwashed masses during this lib induced financial fiasco.

Scared myself, I almost gave a crap...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 08:46:27 pm »
Always surprised by how many people don't know that you can freeze bread. It keeps for a very long time.
When you want to thaw it, put it in the micro, cover it with a damp towel (or paper towels), zap it until ready.
If you do it right, the bread comes out like bakery fresh. Soft and warm and smells great.

I hadn't thought of the damp towel part - that sounds like a really good idea.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 08:50:53 pm »

Recently read that if you freeze your bread wrapped in a paper towel, the ice crystals will not form on the bread, but on the towel.

I tried it, but just laid a sheet over the loaf and.... meh    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 08:51:48 pm »

I freeze store bought bread all the time... Because I buy for a month at a time. If I am running low, just pull a loaf out of the freezer and leave it on the counter. it thaws in a half hour or less... But I resent the real estate I have to give up for it in the freezer (roughly 6 loaves if I am buying store bought).

Also specialty bread ... Raisin bread for instance... I will freeze that and peel just a couple slices off it at a time - and the loaf lives its whole life in the freezer. That's how I get to have raisin bread, or it would go bad before I could eat it all.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 08:52:11 pm »

I hadn't thought of the damp towel part - that sounds like a really good idea.
The freezer dries everything to some extent or another.
The damp towel breathes life back into it. It's a fine art. Be sure not to over zap it.
It will be ruined, chewy and inedible.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2022, 08:56:28 pm »
The freezer dries everything to some extent or another.
The damp towel breathes life back into it. It's a fine art. Be sure not to over zap it.
It will be ruined, chewy and inedible.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2022, 08:57:52 pm »
In my teens, I'd drive across the city on Sunday morning to buy freshly baked Italian bread straight from the oven.

The bakery was inside a detached garage of an up-n-down double home on Niagara Street.

MORAL:  Bake your own and sell it for less than $10 a loaf!   :laugh:

I'll tell you what, pal... That'd be the Albertson's around here... Their Vienna bread is ALWAYS warm from the oven... And last I looked, 3 bucks a loaf. If I am making spaghetti or even chili, you can bet I am running up there for a loaf.

That was my typical Sabbath fare too - Get one of them, rip it in half, and build a monster deli sandwich to chew on all day. Brilliant bread!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 09:46:53 pm »

If you got to have eggs, I'd find a good local source for the yard variety.  Our source is $2/dz, and $1.50 if we return the carton.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 09:56:49 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2022, 09:51:32 pm »
Eggs can be frozen. Not in the shell. Break 3 to 6 eggs in a bowl. Scramble. Put in an airtight freezer container. All is well.