Author Topic: Bread causing $10-per-loaf sticker shock as inflation surges  (Read 4313 times)

Offline libertybele

Re: Bread causing $10-per-loaf sticker shock as inflation surges
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2022, 10:21:08 pm »
I freeze store bought bread all the time... Because I buy for a month at a time. If I am running low, just pull a loaf out of the freezer and leave it on the counter. it thaws in a half hour or less... But I resent the real estate I have to give up for it in the freezer (roughly 6 loaves if I am buying store bought).

Also specialty bread ... Raisin bread for instance... I will freeze that and peel just a couple slices off it at a time - and the loaf lives its whole life in the freezer. That's how I get to have raisin bread, or it would go bad before I could eat it all.

I freeze store bought bread as well and yes, it does take up a lot of freezer space; so I only freeze a couple of loaves at a time in each freezer.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2022, 10:27:44 pm »
Wegman's sells a 'seasonal' special bread called, "Red, White and Blue".

It's got cranberries and blueberries in it, with coarse sugar crystals sprinkled on top as it cools.

You think you died and went to heaven...eat it freshly baked.   Wait a day, it's just bread.    :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline LMAO

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2022, 10:45:06 pm »
There is a way to offset all these food price increases if you all would just listen to the advice of this administration and go buy an electric car
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline libertybele

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2022, 11:00:06 pm »
There is a way to offset all these food price increases if you all would just listen to the advice of this administration and go buy an electric car

Thanks @LMAO ....why didn't I think of that?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2022, 11:01:36 pm »
Thank goodness we saved 16 cents on last year's July 4 picnic. I'm going to buy a couple of slices of bread with mine.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2022, 11:02:55 pm »
Thank goodness we saved 16 cents on last year's July 4 picnic. I'm going to buy a couple of slices of bread with mine.

There ya go, good thinking @mountaineer ! :laugh:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2022, 11:21:58 pm »
Prices have risen mostly due to cost of fertilizer  to grow as well as diesel to plant, harvest and transport.

With more than doubling the cost of fertilizer and doubling of diesel since last growing season, we have yet to experience the really serious impact Later this year.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2022, 11:24:58 pm »

:silly:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2022, 11:26:15 pm »
Actually, I'm going to buy some more yeast and flour. Just got a bag of whole wheat flour, and probably could use some more AP flour.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2022, 11:41:25 pm »
Actually, I'm going to buy some more yeast and flour. Just got a bag of whole wheat flour, and probably could use some more AP flour.

Yeah I need yeast...was putting it off as it has a short shelf life...I am sure the the wheat products prices really start surge yeast will be hard to find..

I suggest start buying pasta too.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2022, 12:52:36 am »
Watch out for weevils. Since America is being pushed intentionally and very deliberately into the 1800s/early-1900s, make sure all your flour, corn, and pasta, is sealed from moisture, bugs, and mice. We don't normally think about those things these days. But if the Democrats have their way, we may have to start.

Weevils are fine to eat, by the way. They don't hurt you or make you sick and are full of protein. When I was a very small child, this was an issue which would happen occasionally. My grandparents and my uncles had no problem at all with it. I'm sure you all recognize the uncle laughing about bugs. The common phrase was, of course, "Don't worry. He won't eat much."

But seriously, keep your stuff dry and sealed.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:54 am »
I freeze store bought bread as well and yes, it does take up a lot of freezer space; so I only freeze a couple of loaves at a time in each freezer.

Yeah... That's just it... Nothing is in the meat freezer but meat... I can use it temporarily I guess, for harvest over-flow and such... but the point is to have the room in there for meat. So all the rest winds up in the pantry freezer, so that is some high-dollar real estate.

So you get 6 loaves of bread, a few packs of burger buns and hoagie rolls, a couple loaves of sourdough... Next thing you know, bread products are taking over. And I would rather use that space for more long term things like meat sauces and frozen veggies. I am seriously thinking about processing meat sauces into mason jars just to buy back some room in there. It's that important to get more space... So yeah. I resent that bread.

It ain't easy, I'll tell you what. My respect for womenfolk has risen exponentially since I have had to figure this stuff  out for myself. Pantries are a complicated inventory system that defies structured solutions. it's a JOB jammin a pantry and kitchen, not to mention anything else.

And you gals rock at it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2022, 03:45:42 am »

I don't know if all y'all have access to the Azure truck, but for bulk foods around here, the Azure guy is like the Ice Cream Man.

https://www.azurestandard.com/

I am working on a second lift of 5 gal buckets... Flour, corn flour, sugar, salt, beans (black, red, pinto), and rice. Dunno yet about lentils and custom sugar, which each is left in bags and shares a bucket with several varieties (powdered and brown sugar as ex). I want a better system for them. I just don't know what it is yet. Stuff that's 'almost bulk' is a trouble for me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2022, 03:57:07 am »
Yeah I need yeast...was putting it off as it has a short shelf life...I am sure the the wheat products prices really start surge yeast will be hard to find..

That's why I am firing up my sourdough starter.

I am doing alright with pasta... I got one of them under-the-bed rubbermaid containers (long, wide, and flat) and that puppy is full. But that is problematic too - I really need that space for linen storage (summer vs. winter) and winter coat storage.

That's another of my 'where-to-put-it' problems.  :shrug:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2022, 04:29:32 am »
Dang Yeast, it kills me in the Gout dept... Yeah, no beer here.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2022, 04:32:40 am »

Noted about pasta. I actually have to go to the grocery store tomorrow. I have coffee, but no cream. I don’t like black coffee
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2022, 12:05:38 pm »
Watch out for weevils. Since America is being pushed intentionally and very deliberately into the 1800s/early-1900s, make sure all your flour, corn, and pasta, is sealed from moisture, bugs, and mice. We don't normally think about those things these days. But if the Democrats have their way, we may have to start.

Weevils are fine to eat, by the way. They don't hurt you or make you sick and are full of protein. When I was a very small child, this was an issue which would happen occasionally. My grandparents and my uncles had no problem at all with it. I'm sure you all recognize the uncle laughing about bugs. The common phrase was, of course, "Don't worry. He won't eat much."

But seriously, keep your stuff dry and sealed.
If you can, freeze those before storing.  That should kill them off.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2022, 12:52:07 pm »

Same here.  As a little kid, I remember complaining to my grandmother during pancake making, why we had to eat bugs.  Her response was, if weevils was an issue when she was little, they would have all starved. 

Before the advent of sealable plastic containers, they were impossible to prevent.  I can imagine now the horror if I showed some of my grandchildren that their oatmeal was moving by itself.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2022, 01:01:09 pm »
Same here.  As a little kid, I remember complaining to my grandmother during pancake making, why we had to eat bugs.  Her response was, if weevils was an issue when she was little, they would have all starved. 

Before the advent of sealable plastic containers, they were impossible to prevent.  I can imagine now the horror if I showed some of my grandchildren that their oatmeal was moving by itself.

I think that's the real reason for sifting flour.  :whistle:

Really. My grandmother sifted flour every time she used it... My mother did too...
Does anyone sift flour anymore?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2022, 01:03:13 pm »

Really. My grandmother sifted flour every time she used it... My mother did too...

Does anyone have weevils anymore.  And if they do? who doesn't just toss it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2022, 01:37:00 pm »
Does anyone have weevils anymore.  And if they do? who doesn't just toss it.

I still get them occasionally in store-bought pasta products if I leave them sitting in the pantry too long.  If they get in, though, they all get scalded to death in the boiling water and their carcasses float to the surface, where I skim them off.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2022, 02:37:00 pm »

Sifting is to make the flour smooth and more usable. Sifting may filter out debris, but the main idea is to break up the clumps and clots. Otherwise you would wind up with lumpy batter.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2022, 02:55:26 pm »
That's why I am firing up my sourdough starter.

I am doing alright with pasta... I got one of them under-the-bed rubbermaid containers (long, wide, and flat) and that puppy is full. But that is problematic too - I really need that space for linen storage (summer vs. winter) and winter coat storage.

That's another of my 'where-to-put-it' problems.  :shrug:

May I suggest that you invest in some of these

Vacuum Storage Bags
https://www.amazon.com/20-Compression-Comforters-Blankets-Included/dp/B0973DGD8P/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plastic+storage+bags+for+clothes&qid=1658242235&sr=8-6

I personally don't have any but my son does. He puts all the heavy blankets, sweaters, coats etc in them and shoves them under the bed..lol

I may in fact buy them too.
Support the USO

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2022, 02:57:47 pm »
Sifting is to make the flour smooth and more usable. Sifting may filter out debris, but the main idea is to break up the clumps and clots. Otherwise you would wind up with lumpy batter.

I know the theory... but I have not found it to be true, except in rare occasions where the recipe demands sifted flour. I always bust up the flour in the bowl anyway so I really don't see much difference.  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2022, 02:59:57 pm »
May I suggest that you invest in some of these

Vacuum Storage Bags
https://www.amazon.com/20-Compression-Comforters-Blankets-Included/dp/B0973DGD8P/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=plastic+storage+bags+for+clothes&qid=1658242235&sr=8-6

I personally don't have any but my son does. He puts all the heavy blankets, sweaters, coats etc in them and shoves them under the bed..lol

I may in fact buy them too.

Oh, that's a really good idea. Being in Montana, most of my blankets are quilts... That will save a TON of space.

Thank you!   :beer: