Author Topic: Manchin pumps brakes: Bill ‘needs to be scrubbed much better’  (Read 387 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Manchin pumps brakes: Bill ‘needs to be scrubbed much better’
by Alexander Bolton   07/13/22 1:09 PM ET

Centrist Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) on Wednesday pumped the brakes on negotiations with Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) over a budget reconciliation bill, warning the bill “needs to be scrubbed much better” after a new report shows inflation hit 9.1 percent in June.

Manchin told reporters Wednesday he’s not sure if he can agree to anything beyond the prescription drug reform component of the bill, which has already been sent to the Senate parliamentarian’s office and has the support of all 50 members of the Democratic caucus. 

“We know what we can pass is basically the drug pricing, OK? — on Medicare,” he told reporters. “Is there any more we can do? I don’t know but I am very, very cautious.

“And I’m going to make sure that I have every input on scrubbing everything humanly possible that could be considered inflammatory,” he said. 

He said “deficit reduction is going to be fifty percent” of the new revenue gained from prescription drug savings and tax reforms, such as a 3.8 percent tax on wealthy individuals and couples who earn more than $400,000 or $500,000, respectively, from pass-through businesses. 

He said the latest inflation report showing prices have increased by 9.1 percent compared to a year ago means negotiators are going to have to slow down and proceed more cautiously on putting together the budget bill. 

“Basically, take your time and make sure we do it and do it right. We can’t afford mistakes in the highest inflation we’ve seen in the last 40 years,” he said. 

Manchin has pushed back against a goal set by other Democrats of passing the bill before the August recess, saying that he sees Sept. 30, the end of the fiscal year, as the deadline.

Manchin, however, did not rule out including a provision to continue subsidies of health insurance plans provided under the Affordable Care Act, explaining that whether he could agree to extended subsidies would depend on how they are drafted and paid for. 

“It depends on if we can look at things and find a pathway forward that is not inflammatory,” he said. 

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3557652-manchin-pumps-brakes-bill-needs-to-be-scrubbed-much-better/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Killer Clouds

Re: Manchin pumps brakes: Bill ‘needs to be scrubbed much better’
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 06:17:02 pm »
Blah blah blah.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 06:24:45 pm »
After today’s report, there should be brake pumping  on any new spending
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 06:44:48 pm »
They'll need more scrubbing supplies.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 06:52:06 pm »
They'll need more scrubbing supplies.

Unfortunately, those have gone up, too.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34