Author Topic: Durbin: ‘Absolutely No Excuse’ for a Military Assault Weapon to Be Sold to an 18-Year Old  (Read 352 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Durbin: ‘Absolutely No Excuse’ for a Military Assault Weapon to Be Sold to an 18-Year Old

Pam Key 29 May 2022

Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) said Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” that “there is absolutely no excuse” for a military assault weapon to be sold to an 18-year-old while discussing the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, TX.

Anchor Dana Bash said, “A handful of bipartisan senators say they are making progress on a compromise to address gun regulation. After failing to act for so long, are things really different this time?”

She asked, “What is the latest on negotiations? Yes or no, is anything actually going to get done this time?”

Durbin said, “I can’t say for certain, but I can tell you, I sense a different feeling among my colleagues after Uvalde. Of course, ten years ago, it was Sandy Hook and Parkland and so many other instances, but it just is so compelling to see the photos of these young boys and girls and to picture your own children or grandchildren captive of this mad man as he’s killing them off one by one in that school and realize, it is time for us to do something. America is sick and tired of political excuses.”

He added, “We’ve got to be realistic about what we can achieve, but there is absolutely no excuse, in my mind, for a military assault weapon to be sold to an 18-year-old with a backpack of ammunition who walks in and kills these innocent children. That’s unacceptable anywhere in the world. It’s unforgivable as American leaders we let this occur here.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2022/05/29/durbin-absolutely-no-excuse-for-a-military-assault-weapon-to-be-sold-to-an-18-year-old/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
He wasn't sold a "Military Assault Weapon".  9999hair out0000
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
AR-15 is NOT an assault weapon..when will the Media and so-called politicians admit this!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Any "excuse" for the military issuing the actual fully-automatic version to a 17 year old enlistee?

Asking this as a former 17 year old soldier who was issued a SELECTIVE-FIRE Armalite AR-15 when I reported to Ft.Bragg.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Killer Clouds

Any "excuse" for the military issuing the actual fully-automatic version to a 17 year old enlistee?

Asking this as a former 17 year old soldier who was issued a SELECTIVE-FIRE Armalite AR-15 when I reported to Ft.Bragg.
You mean Amalite M-16?

Offline Killer Clouds

He wasn't sold a "Military Assault Weapon".  9999hair out0000
Of course he wasn't. These idiots keep screaming ASSAULT WEAPON BAN until you ask them what is an assault weapon and they don't have an answer. The fact is civilians can't go into a gun shop right now and buy a new long gun like the military is using right now. The gun grabbing idiots have also changed their language to "weapons of war". The military is using Barretta pistols now. Are those also weapons of war?
I've said it before and I'll say it again GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You mean Amalite M-16?

@Killer Clouds

Nope,they were AR-15's. They were all made by Armalite at that time,and they were all AR-15's. Some were selective fire,and some,made for the civilian market,were semi-autos.

They didn't become M-16's until later. I am sure military contracts had a lot to do with it. Don't remember what happened to Armalite at that time,but I suspect they just weren't big enough to handle that many orders.

The most notable change was the AR-15 had a flash-suppressor that had "prongs" at the muzzle instead of a encircled muzzle like the M-16's. It's purpose was to serve as a barbed-wire cutter. The military decided that was no longer necessary in modern warfare,so it was dropped from the M-16.

I had never even heard of an Armalite AR-15 when I got to Bragg,but was on the firing range qualifying with one within days of signing in. That was my very first exposure to real-life Special Forces NCO's,and it was a truly shocking change from the world of basic and trade school NCO's.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 07:02:14 pm by sneakypete »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My BIL was in Force Recon. He had to turn in his M-14 and use the new AR-15. He went out with it once. He then wrapped it around a tree,  searched and found his M-14 and carried it thru the rest of his enlistment.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
My BIL was in Force Recon. He had to turn in his M-14 and use the new AR-15. He went out with it once. He then wrapped it around a tree,  searched and found his M-14 and carried it thru the rest of his enlistment.

As for the USMC,there has always been a group of people who think that if they had their way,they would still be carrying spears and throwing rocks.

They are NOT known for being enthusiastic about changing doctrine.

@Elderberry

IF I remember correctly,there were some problems with the early ammo. It didn't burn completely,and was causing jams. This was why the forward bolt assist was put on the later models and M-16's. They switched to a faster-burning powder,and I THINK the chrome-lined bore to correct these problems. Haven't even though about this stuff since around 1966,so it is possible the chrome-lined bore was always there.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 07:47:19 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Elderberry

IF I remember correctly,there were some problems with the early ammo. It didn't burn completely,and was causing jams. This was why the forward bolt assist was put on the later models and M-16's. They switched to a faster-burning powder,and I THINK the chrome-lined bore to correct these problems. Haven't even though about this stuff since around 1966,so it is possible the chrome-lined bore was always there.
As related to me, carbon fouling with the earlier powders in the cartridges caused a lot of problems in combat. Later ammo had a different powder with less residues, and made the rifles less likely to fail to function in a firefight.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

18 year olds are adults.  Today's version may have lower testosterone than past generations, but they are treated as adults in the most important ways.  As usual, the dems are being disingenuous, and want to incrementally ban the ownership of firearms altogether.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As related to me, carbon fouling with the earlier powders in the cartridges caused a lot of problems in combat. Later ammo had a different powder with less residues, and made the rifles less likely to fail to function in a firefight.

@Smokin Joe

Truthfully,mine never failed,and neither did any of the other M-16 variants like the CAR-15's that some people preferred. Seems like about half the guys in SOG carried either AK's or RPD's,though. Especially the RPD's with shortened barrels,flash suppressors,and drum magazines. Lots of these teams also work black fatigues and NVA web gear,too. Most of them thought it might give them the second or two they needed to open fire before being recognized as Caucasians. I understood that,but was more concerned with the helicopter door gunners that picked us up confusing us with NVA and opening fire on us on extractions. After all,none of them were SF or really knew what we were doing.

These guys really got screwed in one respect. Everybody in SOG were volunteers that knew we were going into Laos,Cambodia,and North Vietnam in sterile fatigues with no ID's,but those poor helicopter crews (other than the pilot and co-pilot who had to know because they had maps) had no idea where they were going on what might happen to them if shot down and captured.

Or they weren't supposed to know,anyhow.

The guys at CCN were usually (always?) inserted by USMC helo's,and I have been told a lot of the Force Recon Marines were always bugging them trying to get out on missions with the SOG guys. I even heard rumors a few of them did get to strap hang,but can't verify this. The Marines,of course,still wanted to carry O3 Springfields. <G>