Author Topic: McCarthy said he would tell Trump to resign after Capitol riot: Book  (Read 324 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McCarthy said he would tell Trump to resign after Capitol riot: Book
by Daniel Chaitin, Deputy News Editor |
 | April 21, 2022 07:46 AM

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy told GOP colleagues he would urge then-President Donald Trump to resign after the Capitol riot, according to a new book.

“I’ve had it with this guy,” the California Republican told a group of Republican leaders on Jan. 10, 2021, as reported by the New York Times in an adaption of This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America’s Future, a book by two reporters with the newspaper set to be released next month.

McCarthy's team fired back at the report. “McCarthy never said he’d call Trump to say he should resign,” said Mark Bednar, a spokesman for the Republican leader.

In the days following the riot on Jan. 6, 2021, McCarthy joined other Republicans in publicly denouncing Trump for not doing more to quell the attack on the Capitol.

“The president bears responsibility for Wednesday’s attack on Congress by mob rioters,” McCarthy said on the House floor. “He should have immediately denounced the mob when he saw what was unfolding. These facts require immediate action by President Trump."

But that position shifted shortly thereafter. McCarthy traveled to Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort roughly a week after Trump left office on Jan. 20, after which they struck a deal to help Republicans win back the majority in the House. McCarthy is now positioned to become House speaker next year with Republicans expected to retake control of the chamber.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/mccarthy-said-he-would-tell-trump-to-resign-after-capitol-riot-book
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: McCarthy said he would tell Trump to resign after Capitol riot: Book
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 03:58:14 pm »
 McCarthy denies saying Trump should resign if impeached
by Emily Brooks - 04/21/22 10:14 AM ET

A spokesman for House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is denying that the leader told GOP colleagues he would recommend former President Trump resign if he was impeached over the Jan. 6 Capitol attack, one of many Trump-bashing comments from top Republicans revealed in a forthcoming book.

Top GOP leaders privately criticized Trump in the aftermath of the Jan. 6 attack to a further extent than previously known, according to a report in The New York Times based on the upcoming book “This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America’s Future.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told advisers on Jan. 11, 2021, that “the Democrats are going to take care of the son of a bitch for us,” referring to impeachment, and also said: “If this isn’t impeachable, I don’t know what is,” according to the report.

McConnell has an icy relationship with the former president, but he reversed course and did not vote to impeach Trump over the Jan. 6 attack. He has also said he would back Trump if he became the GOP’s nominee for the White House in 2024.

McCarthy is seen as having a closer relationship with Trump, though the two have had some differences. McCarthy opposed Trump’s impeachment and has pulled Republicans he sought to appoint to a panel investigating Jan. 6 after Democrats rejected some of his nominees for the committee.

more
https://thehill.com/news/house/3275574-mccarthy-denies-saying-trump-should-resign-if-impeached/
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 04:57:57 pm »
McCarthy was one of the first to kiss Trump's ring after the ... uh ... the violent peaceful protest special operation non-happening no-big-deal tour of the Capitol on Jan. 6th.

McCarthy is the wettest of the wet noodles.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 01:23:26 pm »
 MSNBC airs audio of McCarthy saying he considered asking Trump to resign
by Caroline Vakil   04/21/22 10:23 PM ET

MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show” aired audio on Thursday, which was shared by reporters from The New York Times, confirming that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said he was considering asking former President Trump to resign in the wake of the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the Capitol.

In the audio clip, which is also now included in the Times’s report on the matter, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) asks the House GOP leader if he was hearing that Trump might resign or had any reason to believe it could happen.

Referring to the likelihood that Congress would impeach Trump, McCarthy says, “The only discussion I would have with him is that I think this will pass, and it would be my recommendation you should resign. I mean, that would be my take but I don’t think he would take it. But I don’t know.”

In a lengthy statement issued earlier on Thursday in response to the Times’s reporting, before the audio was aired, McCarthy denied that he had ever said such a thing during a House leadership call on Jan. 10, 2021.

The reporting is based on a forthcoming book by New York Times reporters Alex Burns and Jonathan Martin, titled “This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America’s Future.”

more
https://thehill.com/news/house/3459447-msnbc-airs-audio-of-mccarthy-saying-he-considered-asking-trump-to-resign/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 01:27:32 pm »
 Liz Cheney denies leaking Kevin McCarthy tape
Cheney says she wasn't the one who leaked the tape that undermines McCarthy's denial he said he would have told Trump he should resign.
Daniel Chaitin

Rep. Liz Cheney denies being the one who leaked a tape of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy telling GOP colleagues he would urge former President Donald Trump to resign after the Capitol riot, which conflicts with McCarthy's blanket denial.

A brief statement was released the morning after MSNBC host Rachel Maddow played an audio recording of McCarthy on Jan. 10, 2021, responding to Cheney, who was chairwoman of the House Republican Conference at the time, asking if there was a chance Trump would step down.

"The select committee has asked Kevin McCarthy to speak with us about these events, but he has so far declined," Cheney's spokesperson said Friday, referring to the Jan. 6 committee. "Rep. Cheney did not record or leak the tape and does not know how the reporters got it."

The audio was released after McCarthy denied the reporting about the episode that first appeared in the New York Times on Thursday morning via an adaption of This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden, and the Battle for America's Future, by Jonathan Martin and Alex Burns, two reporters with the outlet. The reporting is "totally false and wrong," the California Republican said.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/liz-cheney-denies-leaking-kevin-mccarthy-tape
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 04:34:38 pm »
 ‘I’ve had it with this guy’: More McCarthy audio bashing Trump revealed
by Emily Brooks - 04/22/22 11:32 AM ET

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) told colleagues that he’d “had it” with former President Trump, according to recordings of House GOP calls in the days after the Jan. 6 Capitol attack.

The calls also show that McCarthy claimed Trump took some responsibility for the riot.

The recordings back up reporting in The New York Times, adapted from the upcoming book “This Will Not Pass: Trump, Biden and the Battle for America’s Future,” that McCarthy had vehemently denied on Thursday morning. The report revealed top Republican leaders going farther in bashing Trump than previously reported.

McCarthy told House GOP leadership colleagues in a Jan. 10, 2021, call that he had “had it” with Trump.

“Alright, I know this is not fun, I know this is not great. I know this is very tough. But what I want to do, especially through here, is I don’t want to rush things. I want everybody to have all the information needed. I’ve had it with this guy. What he did is unacceptable. Nobody can defend that, and nobody should defend it,” McCarthy said in the recording of the call, first released on CNN Friday morning.

more
https://thehill.com/news/house/3459914-ive-had-it-with-this-guy-more-mccarthy-audio-bashing-trump-revealed/
Support the USO

Online Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2022, 04:42:35 pm »
I am truly interested how the Washington Post gets access to private texts and phone conversations in violation of federal and local wiretap laws, yet is not privy to public information regarding Hillary Clinton's illegal email server or Hunter Biden's laptop.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2022, 08:14:44 pm »
pril 22, 2022 1:57pm EDT
Cheney, Scalise deny involvement after leaked recordings reveal McCarthy recommended Trump resign
McCarthy rebutted the Times reporting as “totally false and wrong” in a statement
By Houston Keene | Fox News

House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy of California rebutted reports on leaked audio where he said he would call on former President Trump to resign after the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, with Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., denying involvement in the leak.

On Thursday, the New York Times reported on a recording from Jan. 10, 2021 where McCarthy reportedly told House Republican leadership that he had "had it" with Trump and that he was going to recommend the then-president "resign."

"I think this will pass, and it would be my recommendation you should resign," McCarthy explained what he would tell Trump in the audio recording published by the Times, referring to the impeachment resolution.

According to the recording, the Republican leader said that it was not likely that Trump would listen to his suggestion and that nobody can defend the then-president’s actions on January 6 "and nobody should defend it."

McCarthy rebutted the Times reporting as "totally false and wrong" in a Twitter statement released Thursday morning, hours ahead of the published recordings.

"It comes as no surprise that the corporate media is obsessed with doing everything it can to further a liberal agenda," the statement reads. "This promotional book tour is no different. If the reporters were interested in truth, why would they ask for comment after the book was printed?"

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mccarthy-rebuts-reporting-leaked-recordings-trump-resign
Support the USO

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2022, 08:27:32 pm »
He has disqualified himself to lead the House.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2022, 08:54:27 pm »
I am shocked that a Congressional Republican is a duplicitous wet noodle.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.