Author Topic: New vehicles must average 40 mpg by 2026, up from 28 mpg  (Read 1319 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
New vehicles must average 40 mpg by 2026, up from 28 mpg
« on: April 01, 2022, 10:56:35 pm »
New vehicles must average 40 mpg by 2026, up from 28 mpg

DETROIT (AP) — New vehicles sold in the U.S. will have to average at least 40 miles per gallon of gasoline in 2026, up from about 28 mpg, under new federal rules unveiled Friday that undo a rollback of standards enacted under President Donald Trump.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said its new fuel economy requirements are the strongest to date and the maximum the industry can achieve over the time period. They will reduce gasoline consumption by more than 220 billion gallons over the life of vehicles, compared with the Trump standards.

They’re expected to decrease carbon dioxide emissions — but not as much as some environmentalists want — and raise new vehicle prices in an industry already pressed by inflation and supply chain issues.

For the current model year, standards enacted under Trump require the fleet of new vehicles to get just under 28 miles per gallon in real-world driving. The new requirements increase gas mileage by 8% per year for model years 2024 and 2025 and 10% in the 2026 model year.

more
https://apnews.com/article/climate-business-donald-trump-united-states-environment-f46e6892e95d83a41f75b9d56edadbda
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DB

Re: New vehicles must average 40 mpg by 2026, up from 28 mpg
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 11:23:50 pm »
Or until someone sane is elected in 2024...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 11:47:49 pm »
The Biden Administration, which is pushing automakers to get more electric vehicles on the road, is setting higher fuel-economy rules that require the average new car or truck to get nearly 50 miles per gallon of gasoline by 2026 as part of efforts to cut carbon pollution and save consumers money.

The new Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, standards announced today by Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg require an 8% industrywide increase in average fuel efficiency in both 2024 and 2025 model-year vehicles and a 10% boost in 2026. The overall increase is at least 10 mpg by 2026 and is up from an average of about 36 mpg in the 2021 model year.

The higher standard could reduce U.S. gasoline consumption by 234 billion gallons by 2050 and “means American families will be able to drive farther before they have to fill up, saving hundreds of dollars per year,” Buttigieg said in a briefing in Washington on Friday. “These improvements will also make our country less vulnerable to global shifts in the price of oil and protect communities by reducing carbon emissions by 2.5 billion metric tons.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsman/2022/04/01/biden-administration-wants-new-vehicles-to-average--49-mpg-by-2026/?sh=7eb31f0a7852
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 11:59:33 pm »
So., let me get this straight.  Joe just signed an e.o. that by 2030 half of new car sales are to be zero-emission vehicles, and now the  vehicles have to average 49 mpg.

The cost of new vehicles are going to be astronomical. No worries, Brandon may be wrecking the economy, but at least he's saving the planet!!!   *****rollingeyes***** 888mouth
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 08:38:35 am »
I'm just waiting for the new 2025 Trabants to roll off the line...

0 to 60 in 21 seconds with a top speed of 62 mph (Woo Hoo!)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 03:26:40 pm »
If I recall, this is mfr. fleet "average" right?  If so...

They're pushing US manufacturers to produce more electric autos to raise their averages, thus reducing the number of available internal combustion autos?
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online LMAO

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 03:29:16 pm »
Or until someone sane is elected in 2024...

That’s going to be the only thing that’ll  end this nonsense. 2022 will slow it down, but there’s still too much damage that the president can do that he doesn’t need Congress for
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2022, 03:30:08 pm »
If this sticks, this basically kills the V8 engine.  Get'em while you can.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2022, 04:03:17 pm »
This is ridiculous. Do everything you can to get sane people elected this year and in 2024.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 04:03:56 pm »
If I recall, this is mfr. fleet "average" right?  If so...

They're pushing US manufacturers to produce more electric autos to raise their averages, thus reducing the number of available internal combustion autos?
Apparently GM made a decision to drastically reduce sales of Cadillacs already.

There will be no new vehicles from Cadillac with internal combustion engines from now on in North America, only updates to its current lineup of cars and SUVs. Cadillac plans to exclusively offer all-electric vehicles by 2030, ahead of GM's plans to do the same by 2035.

I had read that any one owning a Cadillac franchise that refused to invest the enormous amount of money for EV equipment had their franchise revoked.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2022, 08:04:43 pm »
This is ridiculous. Do everything you can to get sane people elected this year and in 2024.

:thumbsup:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 08:08:05 pm »
How the heck are carmakers expected to increase MPG by 43% in just three or four years? It's insane.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2022, 12:46:33 am »
If this sticks, this basically kills the V8 engine.  Get'em while you can.
It'll pretty much kill the American automotive industry as we know it, unless they start importing those tiny European city cars.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2022, 01:05:31 am »
Once again, unelected POS driving the US off a cliff and we have no recourse as congress is MIA

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2022, 02:46:17 pm »
Never going to happen.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2022, 05:03:08 pm »
I'm probably looking at hybrid or electric next round, but this is a violation of the most basic consumer freedom.  It will make vehicle ownership MORE expensive as manufacturers are pressured to use turbochargers and complicated transmissions to massage their fleet average.  You can also expect the used car market to remain grossly inflated, and there will be a shortage of new vehicles people actually want to purchase. 

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2022, 05:07:52 pm »
What's the minimum mile per kilowatt-hour rating for rechargeable electric cars?  Those kilowatts and megawatts aren't free.

Is that 40 mpg with or without over-inflated tires and 0w-30 motor oil?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 05:14:51 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2022, 05:56:40 pm »
ALL part of a carefully crafted plan started decades ago to force people out of rural areas and into cities,where they are easier to monitor and control.

And almost nobody will have any choice but the rich if they are successful.

Unless severe changes are made in who is holding public office,within another 20 years practically everybody will be living in "Khrushchev Apartment Blocks" near where they work,and the building will be owned by whatever corporation they work for. Chances are most of them will have to buy everything they need in company stores within a couple of blocks of where their "Khrushchev apartment" is. If they quit or are fired,they lose their job and their living space. No money coming it to buy food,clothing,and no shelter available unless they have a job with some corporation.

Not to worry,though. The labor camps Master Goobermint owns will need workers to keep the roads,highways,ditches,farms,etc,etc,etc going,so they WILL have food and shelter as long as they behave themselves.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 07:14:42 pm »
It'll pretty much kill the American automotive industry as we know it, unless they start importing those tiny European city cars.

Except it may be worse here. We'll be driving around in EV tomato soup cans.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 07:32:05 pm »
I'm probably looking at hybrid or electric next round, but this is a violation of the most basic consumer freedom.  It will make vehicle ownership MORE expensive as manufacturers are pressured to use turbochargers and complicated transmissions to massage their fleet average.  You can also expect the used car market to remain grossly inflated, and there will be a shortage of new vehicles people actually want to purchase.
I'm not looking at hybrid or electric at this point, nor in the foreseeable future, but I can say the used vehicle market is already inflated. the value of a 23 year old 4WD suburban has doubled since I bought it a few years ago.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 04:05:04 am »
I'm not looking at hybrid or electric at this point, nor in the foreseeable future, but I can say the used vehicle market is already inflated. the value of a 23 year old 4WD suburban has doubled since I bought it a few years ago.

There won't be much of a selection in the gas powered market, unless you are willing to settle for a used model, or can live with something underpowered.  I guess this is how it was in the malaise era.  Other articles claim the fleet average must rise to 49mpg.  This is a radical change and I have to wonder why the automakers are not screaming about it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2022, 06:22:24 am »
There won't be much of a selection in the gas powered market, unless you are willing to settle for a used model, or can live with something underpowered.  I guess this is how it was in the malaise era.  Other articles claim the fleet average must rise to 49mpg.  This is a radical change and I have to wonder why the automakers are not screaming about it.

@cato potatoe

IIRC,my 06 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel has 365 hp,and 665 foot lbs of torque.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:45 pm »

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 01:40:09 pm »

Don't forget to ask battery life and replacement cost, and factor that in to your decision.  I also have heard that Dealers and mfg'ers have over estimated what kind of battery life you will get.

This fact has pissed off many EV and hybrid (former) owners.

In my case, I might be the last IC engine truck user on earth.  My 2007 Titan is flex fuel and can operate on pure ethanol.  So as long as there is booze around, you will hear the roar of my V8.

They will have to pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel.  I f'ing refuse to bow down to the enviro-whakos and give in, to a EV or hybrid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:43:46 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 03:12:20 pm »
Based on what @Kamaji
You are right, @Right_in_Virginia,it could happen.

Now maybe the government will give all the city folks a tax credit for bicycles, and the rest of us can drive.

C S Lewis