Author Topic: Do You Think Cars Were Built Better in the "Old Days"?  (Read 4438 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Do You Think Cars Were Built Better in the "Old Days"?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2022, 11:01:08 pm »
I think that is partly due to highly specialized electronics/hardware that is designed for a very specific function where you cannot "see" what's going on inside anymore. It is all buried in a chip or other mechanical device that really can't be taken apart and examined to see how it works in detail. When I grew up you could take apart and see how just about anything worked. You could also take those components and repurpose them to do something entirely different. In electronics that is long gone. It may be deadly to the future.

That's probably right  -- But one would think it would spawn a generation of tinkers that get into those chips and decompile software... But it really didn't go that way - It is probably the boards more than the chips. Too hard to reproduce or repair the infrastructure around the chips. And since most control is now dedicated to those boards, trying to remake the machine and bypass the controls, replacing them with something analog just ain't worth the time. Largely as a part of planned obsolescence - Even if you did replace the control system, the rest of the machine is probably of limited value because it is designed to last no longer than the board that runs it.

Washing machines are a good example - Most of them these days are computer controlled, and it is hard to get around the electronics... and even if you do, what do you get? Maybe a year or two more service before the transmission explodes and renders the machine useless anyway... Like the 90s and up cars I mentioned upthread - Not really worth the cost of restoration.

It's a terrible thing though.
I can't imagine my life without tools in my hand. How these young folks cope with that is beyond my ken.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2022, 11:57:21 pm »
My memory of my parents cars in the '60's was that 65K miles was about the shelf life, before it became a garage renter. 

@catfish1957

I suspect most of that was due to the oil people used in the "then new" cars and trucks. Some people just won't ask or listen if you try to tell them,and would use absolute crap like the old Quaker State 30 wt NON-DETERGENT oil in the newer cars with hydraulic lifters. I remember removing the  valve covers from a 66 283 Chevrolet when I was a kid working in a gas station to adjust the valves to quiet them down and remove the miss,and when I took them off I literally couldn't even see them for all the caked on "gunk".

On the other hand,my father,who was NOT known to adopt to new ideas quickly,for some reason didn't use anything but Mobile "Gold" high detergent in the new pink and white 55 Ford Victoria he bought new,and that car had 225 thousand miles on it when he traded it in because he needed a truck. Yeah,it was burning a little bit of oil,but nothing to worry about.

In that 225,000  miles ALL he did to it was change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles,and replace 1 water pump,plus plugs and points when needed.

The same with the Ford pu he bought to replace the Vicky and the next Ford pu he bought to replace the first one. The second one started getting a little shakey after around 125,000 miles because his mind was getting shaky then,and he started swearing "You should get 100,000 miles out of a tune up and oil change." He wouldn't listen to any argument about it,either.

I kept him going by getting a spare set of keys cut,and waiting until he parked his truck by the dock while he was out fishing over his nets,and then slipping up there and changing the oil and filter,and plugs and points for him. Never did tell him I was doing that,despite him telling me I was foolish to keep changing the oil and filter in my car so often,as well as the plugs and points.

My mother knew what I was doing,but she never whispered a word about it,either. She knew he was hardheaded before I even came into the world,so it didn't surprise her at all.

I have no idea why I started doing that. When I was a kid growing up I used to keep asking him to teach me what he was doing when he was working on his car,sharpening his tools,etc,etc,etc,and he kept refusing by telling me "You are too stupid to learn,so go away!"  I would normally rub it in people's faces in circumstances like this,but AFAIK,he went to his grave thinking his trucks just kept running good and never needed tuneups or oil changes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2022, 12:01:44 am »
:beer:

An inventor could 'rescue' the American public by re-introducing the 60's and 70's tech for automobiles.   :shrug:

@DCPatriot

The EPA would never allow it.

It is only a matter of time before it becomes illegal to operate any motor vehicle on the highway over 10 years old,regardless of it's condition.

The left HATES privately-owned vehicles because they represent individual freedoms,and the one thing that makes their heads explode is individuality. If they had their way,we would all be running around dress like Comrade Mao. Not THEM of course,but us.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2022, 12:03:28 am »
MOST of the longevity comes from engineered oil. If I fill a 70's rig with synthetics it will easy go 150 or 200k without a problem. And probably more.

@roamer_1

Yup,if you also add quality oil and air filters.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2022, 12:06:54 am »
Hard to find in anything but a high end sports car now.

@GrouchoTex

I ran into a old black man today that was a friend of my fathers at the local grocery store. He and I talked for a short period while standing in line,and when I went out to the parking lot to leave,he was backing out in his new Mustang GT convertible,with duals,a lopey cam,and stick shift. He told me in the store he is now 81 years old.

He still works,too. Drives a tractor in season for local farmers,and does a little of this and that the rest of the time to keep busy.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2022, 12:42:22 am »
@catfish1957

I suspect most of that was due to the oil people used in the "then new" cars and trucks. Some people just won't ask or listen if you try to tell them,and would use absolute crap like the old Quaker State 30 wt NON-DETERGENT oil in the newer cars with hydraulic lifters. I remember removing the  valve covers from a 66 283 Chevrolet when I was a kid working in a gas station to adjust the valves to quiet them down and remove the miss,and when I took them off I literally couldn't even see them for all the caked on "gunk".

On the other hand,my father,who was NOT known to adopt to new ideas quickly,for some reason didn't use anything but Mobile "Gold" high detergent in the new pink and white 55 Ford Victoria he bought new,and that car had 225 thousand miles on it when he traded it in because he needed a truck. Yeah,it was burning a little bit of oil,but nothing to worry about.

In that 225,000  miles ALL he did to it was change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles,and replace 1 water pump,plus plugs and points when needed.

The same with the Ford pu he bought to replace the Vicky and the next Ford pu he bought to replace the first one. The second one started getting a little shakey after around 125,000 miles because his mind was getting shaky then,and he started swearing "You should get 100,000 miles out of a tune up and oil change." He wouldn't listen to any argument about it,either.

I kept him going by getting a spare set of keys cut,and waiting until he parked his truck by the dock while he was out fishing over his nets,and then slipping up there and changing the oil and filter,and plugs and points for him. Never did tell him I was doing that,despite him telling me I was foolish to keep changing the oil and filter in my car so often,as well as the plugs and points.

My mother knew what I was doing,but she never whispered a word about it,either. She knew he was hardheaded before I even came into the world,so it didn't surprise her at all.

I have no idea why I started doing that. When I was a kid growing up I used to keep asking him to teach me what he was doing when he was working on his car,sharpening his tools,etc,etc,etc,and he kept refusing by telling me "You are too stupid to learn,so go away!"  I would normally rub it in people's faces in circumstances like this,but AFAIK,he went to his grave thinking his trucks just kept running good and never needed tuneups or oil changes.
Great story.  Yur dad was someone you were obviously proud of, and you made your mother proud.

My dad was a different story.  He taught me auto skills with the rule of hard knocks.
p
First car was a '52 Buick Special with a straight 8, manual shift on the wheel.  Cost him $35 which I had to pay him back.

First time it needed an oil change, he told me to make sure I changed the filter.  I looked all over and under that engine for 20 minutes and finally went to tell him I could not find the filter.  He rared back laughing and told me it was an option on that model year.

Taught me to find out before I tackle a job.  To this day, my biggest beef is wasting needless time on anything.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 01:06:45 am by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2022, 01:32:50 am »
Great story.  Yur dad was someone you were obviously proud of, and you made your mother proud.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Up until I was around 8 years old or so,and he told me to make sure I did good in school because I was out of the house on my 18th birthday,and on my own.

He word was good,too. He signed for me to join the army on my 17th birthday,and when I came home after basic training,it was like I had never even existed. Not a single book,magazine,toy,tool,or even piece of clothing was in my former room. All thrown away,just like I never existed. He and my mother (BTW,I was taken in and "raised" by them. They didn't even bother to adopt me.) liked small,dependent children,and had no use or patience with children who got bigger and started to ask questions they didn't know the answers to. I basically raised myself from around age 8 up.

My dad was a different story.  He taught me auto skills with the rule of hard knocks.
p
First car was a '52 Buick Special with a straight 8, manual shift on the wheel.  Cost him $35 which I had to pay him back.

You did better than me. My first two cars,a 1938 Chrysler that ran and drove perfectly that I bought for something like $35,and a 1940 Ford tudor I bought for $100 with money I earned hitch hiking to summer construction jobs were sold to people that stopped by asking if they were for sale while I was at school. When I came home and saw the 40 Ford missing and got pissed,his response was "My yard,my cars." When I came home and discovered he had cut the body off the Chrysler so he could haul lumber off the beach after a storm,it was the same story. He later sold the 38 Chrysler for 100 bucks to somebody wanting a "beach buggy",and kept that money,too.

AND......,he wouldn't even give me a ride 7 miles out to the main highway where I could hitchhike to the movie  over 20 miles away. Lots of times I had to sleep on the beach at night after going out because there was no traffic at night,and then hitchhike back home in the mornings. This was in the summer,of course. I didn't go anywhere in the winter.

And this was the SOB that wouldn't even give me a ride to work when he went to work in the mornings.

First time it needed an oil change, he told me to make sure I changed the filter.  I looked all over and under that engine for 20 minutes and finally went to tell him I could not find the filter.  He rared back laughing and told me it was an option on that model year.

Well,at least he had a sense of humor. Sorta.

Taught me to find out before I tackle a job.  To this day, my biggest beef is wasting needless time on anything.

Mine never taught me anything. When I was still young enough to ask,he would just tell me to go away because I was "too stupid to learn anything."

On the positive side,I grew up with few illusions and with an independent state of mind.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2022, 01:38:25 am »
Have had two Toyotas that did that.  Both manufactured and assembled in Japan.  Camry and 4Runner.

Was yours a Toyota as well?

I had a 1986 SAAB 900S that was a mechanical marvel.  I put 336K miles on that car with only routine maintence (tires, belts, and a few sets of spark plugs and wires).  It still ran like a top when I sold to my BIL because my wife convinced me that he needed it worse than I did. Without question the best automobile I've ever owned mechanically.  And it was damned comfortable as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2022, 01:43:33 am »
@sneakypete

When I bought my 53 Willys Jeep it had already been converted to small block Chevy and had a froze up 283 in it. It had sat in a coworker's next door neighbor's back yard for 10 years. It had a hood scoop that let rain water find its way into the engine thru the air cleaner. Another coworker gave me a good deal on his truck's old 350 engine as he just put a crate motor in it. Well he said it was in good shape, so I swapped it into my jeep and started driving it to work. I discovered right off that it was going thru 2 quarts of oil every day. So as soon as I could I tore into it and discovered that every oil ring was frozen down in its groove. I have no idea what he was running in that poor motor. So I did a ring and bearing job on it and over 35 years later its still running fine in my jeep.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2022, 10:28:36 am »
@DCPatriot

The EPA would never allow it.

It is only a matter of time before it becomes illegal to operate any motor vehicle on the highway over 10 years old,regardless of it's condition.

The left HATES privately-owned vehicles because they represent individual freedoms,and the one thing that makes their heads explode is individuality. If they had their way,we would all be running around dress like Comrade Mao. Not THEM of course,but us.

@sneakypete

LOL!  I think the same day I posted that, the "EPA" or some agency raised the MPG minimum to something like 46 miles per gallon.

In order to reach that number, everything other than the engine and drive-train will have to be made out of compressed marshmallows or paper mache.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2022, 10:33:36 am »
I had a 1986 SAAB 900S that was a mechanical marvel.  I put 336K miles on that car with only routine maintence (tires, belts, and a few sets of spark plugs and wires).  It still ran like a top when I sold to my BIL because my wife convinced me that he needed it worse than I did. Without question the best automobile I've ever owned mechanically.  And it was damned comfortable as well.

Wow!

My BIL owned a beautiful 86 Saab 900S...white...which he cursed every Summer because it didn't have air-conditioning.  :laugh:

But I'll say this... the seats in the Saab were the most comfortable in any car I've experienced.  Company made them for airplanes too.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2022, 02:25:57 pm »
Wow!

My BIL owned a beautiful 86 Saab 900S...white...which he cursed every Summer because it didn't have air-conditioning.  :laugh:

But I'll say this... the seats in the Saab were the most comfortable in any car I've experienced.  Company made them for airplanes too.

The only other thing SAAB did back then was build jet fighter aircraft for NATO and it showed! @DCPatriot

Nowadays SAAB is owned by Ford Motors and the cars show that as well.

The ONLY real problem I ever had with that car was that the factory headliner came loose at about 30K miles SAAB tried to fix it but no.  MY upholstery guy did and it stayed fixed.  Mine looked exactly like the one in the photo below

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:37:14 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2022, 02:55:58 pm »
The only other thing SAAB did back then was build jet fighter aircraft for NATO and it showed! @DCPatriot

Nowadays SAAB is owned by Ford Motors and the cars show that as well.

The ONLY real problem I ever had with that car was that the factory headliner came loose at about 30K miles SAAB tried to fix it but no.  MY upholstery guy did and it stayed fixed.  Mine looked exactly like the one in the photo below

:beer:  @Bigun 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2022, 05:22:52 pm »
I never liked Mopar.  :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2022, 10:51:26 pm »
My roommate in college had a new '72 Saab that I attest was a great car,  Manual on the wheel, front wheel drive.  Cheap on fuel and had more power than one would think out of a 4 cyl.

He pulled a 14' boat with a 40 hp Johnson in it that we took to go skiing.  That front wheel drive made it easy to pull the boat out of the water on the boatramp on Lake Austin.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington