Author Topic: Do You Think Cars Were Built Better in the "Old Days"?  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Do You Think Cars Were Built Better in the "Old Days"?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 02:57:21 pm »
I don’t know about better, but a car from the 40s, 50s and 60s were sexier than todays cookie cutter car styles.

But I’m still waiting for my George Jetson flying car.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DB

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2022, 03:00:01 pm »
It's not only the body damage, but God forbid one of the airbags should go off.  If the airbags go off, the replacement costs are so high that the insurance companies will simply treat many used cars as a write-off.

That happened to a relative of mine.  He paid $10k for a used car that wasn't that old, and then got into a fender-bender in the winter when he slid through a red light and hit the side of another car.  The collision was straight on, and was slow enough that the crumple zones in the front didn't start to deform, so all it really needed was a new nose clip, new headlights, and a new radiator (there was enough flexing that the radiator was cracked).  All eminently repairable/replaceable.  However, the driver's side airbag also went off, and since the replacement costs for those bags were about $4k, the insurance company wrote the car off, gave him a check for 75% of the value, and took the car.  The 75% recovery wasn't even enough to pay off the car loan he had taken out to buy the thing.

You have to go to war with the insurance company and not settle with their first offer. Went through that recently...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 03:47:58 pm »
I don’t know about better, but a car from the 40s, 50s and 60s were sexier than todays cookie cutter car styles.

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 04:05:28 pm »

Yeah it sucks. The CAFE standards don't even allow them to get creative anymore.

The biggest thing for me is you can't even hardly fix anything, and even sometimes do an oil change, without a garage full of diagnostic equipment and specialized tools.

My dad grew up in a junkyard, he got a bad oil filter one time and burnt out the motor of our '76 Nova. We swapped it out with another, throwing a chain over a low and large horizontal branch of our walnut tree to pull the old one out and drop the other in.

Literal shade tree mechanics.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 04:09:59 pm »
I generally a contrary position to the "those were the days" types... even back in the 70's you had Archie Bunker talking about his "old Lasalle". It's nothing new IMO.

For me the "old days" were the 1980's though. Old cars had a definite look but I'd rather not live in the past. Plus I am surrounded by people who love old cars. I like electronics on cars though.

Just my $.02.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2022, 04:19:39 pm »
I generally a contrary position to the "those were the days" types... even back in the 70's you had Archie Bunker talking about his "old Lasalle". It's nothing new IMO.

For me the "old days" were the 1980's though. Old cars had a definite look but I'd rather not live in the past. Plus I am surrounded by people who love old cars. I like electronics on cars though.

Just my $.02.

See, I like resto-mod. All the class of old iron with all the cool from new. Well, not ALL the cool. I still like carburetors better. Especially more than one.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2022, 04:22:44 pm »
Yeah it sucks. The CAFE standards don't even allow them to get creative anymore.

The biggest thing for me is you can't even hardly fix anything, and even sometimes do an oil change, without a garage full of diagnostic equipment and specialized tools.

My dad grew up in a junkyard, he got a bad oil filter one time and burnt out the motor of our '76 Nova. We swapped it out with another, throwing a chain over a low and large horizontal branch of our walnut tree to pull the old one out and drop the other in.

Literal shade tree mechanics.

Same here.  I've blowed up many engines in my yute. We would tow them home with a chain or rope and push them into the Backyard.  For $10 to $20 you could rent an engine hoist for the weekend if you didn't have a tree and a block and tackle rig. We would go to the local salvage yard in get a used engine (sans accessories like alts, PS pump and A/C comp) for 50 to 100 bucks.
My list of engine swaps:
1964 Buick GS (oil starvation)
1970 Chevelle 396 two times (Over reved the 5500 rpm redline spun a bearing and rebuilt it. 2nd time shot a connecting rod thru the block junk yard engine)
1987 GTA Trans Am. Overheated while stuck in 285 traffic Atlanta. (Hardest one of all and most expensive. So many wires and hoses we took a video before the extraction to remember where everything went.

Wouldn't trade the experience working with friends doing those swaps. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2022, 04:47:28 pm »
Well with the exception of my 1971 Vega GT (which rusted on the showroom floor and after one year had more plastic bondo in it than all the Kardashian's put together) I'd say yeah.  Give me an old land yacht any day.
I had a 73 Vega Gt wagon and it was a blast but I only had it about six months before I bought my uncles 63 GranTurismo with the Avanti R1 driveline. Oh yeah the Vega, shortly after my sister took sole possession she burned up the engine, damn near tore the passenger door off and committed various other abuses to the thing. I was soooo glad that sucker was no longer attached to my wallet but I guess I would have never found out how long it would have lasted.
Old cars weren't built with crumple zones so if they didn't kill ya they could usually be fixed. I was hit in the drivers door by a car travelling 65 mph and was able to crawl out of my Studi, after a boatload of injections in my back I went back to my car and drove it home. Try that with one of the new cars. I did scrap out the car afterwards because the frame was bent and parts were already drying up since Studebaker was kaput for ten years at that point.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2022, 07:14:54 pm »
It's not only the body damage, but God forbid one of the airbags should go off.  If the airbags go off, the replacement costs are so high that the insurance companies will simply treat many used cars as a write-off.

That happened to a relative of mine.  He paid $10k for a used car that wasn't that old, and then got into a fender-bender in the winter when he slid through a red light and hit the side of another car.  The collision was straight on, and was slow enough that the crumple zones in the front didn't start to deform, so all it really needed was a new nose clip, new headlights, and a new radiator (there was enough flexing that the radiator was cracked).  All eminently repairable/replaceable.  However, the driver's side airbag also went off, and since the replacement costs for those bags were about $4k, the insurance company wrote the car off, gave him a check for 75% of the value, and took the car.  The 75% recovery wasn't even enough to pay off the car loan he had taken out to buy the thing.

My wife took my Sonoma in after an accident for the adjuster to look at the minor damage. It was still driveable. It was the third time I was hit driving home from work due to the mess made of IH-45 when they were putting in the NASA RD-1 bypass. They told her it was a total and they would take the truck. She told them in no uncertain terms that she would be in big trouble with me if she came home without the truck. Total just meant they wouldn't pay for any damage above 75% of the value left on that beat-up truck. We kept it, still insured by them, but didn't have any more damages to claim after that.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2022, 07:16:22 pm »
My wife took my Sonoma in after an accident for the adjuster to look at the minor damage. It was still driveable. It was the third time I was hit driving home from work due to the mess made of IH-45 when they were putting in the NASA RD-1 bypass. They told her it was a total and they would take the truck. She told them in no uncertain terms that she would be in big trouble with me if she came home without the truck. Total just meant they wouldn't pay for any damage above 75% of the value left on that beat-up truck. We kept it, still insured by them, but didn't have any more damages to claim after that.

Did any of the airbags go off?

Also, the rules for what an insurance company can do with a car that they treat as totalled vary from state to state.  We had an old Crown Vic that got clipped by someone trying to pass on the left on a double-yellow.  The damage was easy enough to pull out, and didn't even require repainting or touchup.  When it came to the insurance, they gave us the totalled value, less some amount for us to "buy" it back from them, and thereafter we only had accident coverage with them.  This was in New York.

I don't know all the details of what transpired with my relative, but it was my understanding that the amount of money the insurance company was offering simply wasn't enough to put the car back in useable condition - with the airbags replaced - so my relative chose to take the totalled amount and left the car with the insurance company.

To be quite honest, I would think that some enterprising auto insurance company would add a separate rider for airbag replacement that, for an additional premium, would take that factor out of the equation for determining whether the car was a write-off or not.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 07:20:27 pm by Kamaji »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2022, 07:27:54 pm »
Did any of the airbags go off?

Nope. these were all very minor fender benders.

We bought a used corolla for our daughter and abt 5 yrs later I took it in for an airbag recall to discover they couldn't perform the recall cause it didn't have any. And we've been hounded ever since with recall notices.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2022, 07:28:57 pm »
Nope. these were all very minor fender benders.

We bought a used corolla for our daughter and abt 5 yrs later I took it in for an airbag recall to discover they couldn't perform the recall cause it didn't have any. And we've been hounded ever since with recall notices.

Was it not designed with them, or had they been removed?  If they were removed, then that would sound like a vehicle that had a salvage title.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2022, 07:38:54 pm »

Wait no More!

This Swedish company has built a fully electric 'flying car' it says anyone can fly

https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/03/03/this-swedish-company-has-built-a-fully-electric-flying-car-that-they-say-anyone-can-fly

Under US rules, this type of aircraft is not permitted to fly near airports or densely populated areas.

But the fully-electric Jetson One - weighing 190 lbs (86 kg) and having a flight time of 20 minutes on one charge - was built to comply with US regulations which don’t require a pilots licence to fly it.

What distinguishes their product, he says, is not the physical aircraft they’ve developed, but the highly-automated software system that makes Jetson One easy to fly even for a novice pilot.

"The most important innovation with the Jetson One is the flight computer and the flight control system," he said, adding that they can “put anyone in the seat and that person will be able to fly in five minutes".

The aircraft’s flight computer uses a Lidar sensor system to keep the pilot out of harm’s way and comes equipped with an auto-landing system.

"You just stop in the air, you put the throttle to zero and it lands," said Ternstrom.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2022, 07:43:51 pm »

Was it not designed with them, or had they been removed?  If they were removed, then that would sound like a vehicle that had a salvage title.

The scumbag that sold us the car had removed them. I knew he was a snake when we went to pick up the car, he wanted to be the one to take the title to the courthouse for the transfer.

Offline berdie

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2022, 07:59:44 pm »
I think the newer cars last longer. But they all look alike.

I think I've mentioned that I just sold a '66 Mustang. It had been sitting under my carport for over 20 years....never started.

The buyer and I exchanged emails so he could send pictures of the restoration. I got an email yesterday that he started the engine and let it run for a few minutes, but had a lot to do. He picked up the car last Friday! Either the car is by some miracle still solid...or this guy is one he!! of a mechanic.

So I guess my summation of the question is this. Older cars probably have more staying power overall. I can't in my wildest imagination think that a newer car with all of the computer stuff would crank at all after that period of time.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2022, 08:10:48 pm »
The scumbag that sold us the car had removed them. I knew he was a snake when we went to pick up the car, he wanted to be the one to take the title to the courthouse for the transfer.

That explains it.  Too bad you couldn't have put some duds in there when the recall notices came, and then had the dealer swap the duds out for new under the recall notice.

Offline DB

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2022, 08:40:10 pm »
I don't miss my old cars from the 70's and 80's... They took a while to warm up before you could drive without stuttering/dying and things constantly crapped out... I've had a number of Toyota's and the just keep going. Ford and Chrystler not so much...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2022, 10:33:36 pm »
DC predicts:
"An inventor could 'rescue' the American public by re-introducing the 60's and 70's tech for automobiles."

That's what will happen after the Chinese take Taiwan and the supply of microchips dries up.

Having said that, the cars of today (and the last 30 years or so) have engines/drivetrains that last far far longer than the cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I had a 1993 Acura Integra that went 300,000 miles before I sold it, and even then it was still burning hardly any oil at all between changes.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2022, 10:41:24 pm »
You have to go to war with the insurance company and not settle with their first offer. Went through that recently...
When my granddaughters were learning to drive, we had a small herd of little <$1000 cars we bought for them to drive. It took a while to teach them the merits of defensive driving in town, and the offender's insurance companies paid more than we had spent on each of the cars when they were totaled in minor fender benders that were the fault of other drivers. (The kids were okay).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2022, 10:46:07 pm »
Same here.  I've blowed up many engines in my yute. We would tow them home with a chain or rope and push them into the Backyard.  For $10 to $20 you could rent an engine hoist for the weekend if you didn't have a tree and a block and tackle rig. We would go to the local salvage yard in get a used engine (sans accessories like alts, PS pump and A/C comp) for 50 to 100 bucks.
My list of engine swaps:
1964 Buick GS (oil starvation)
1970 Chevelle 396 two times (Over reved the 5500 rpm redline spun a bearing and rebuilt it. 2nd time shot a connecting rod thru the block junk yard engine)
1987 GTA Trans Am. Overheated while stuck in 285 traffic Atlanta. (Hardest one of all and most expensive. So many wires and hoses we took a video before the extraction to remember where everything went.

Wouldn't trade the experience working with friends doing those swaps.
Some of my fondest memories are building engines with friends.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2022, 11:01:54 pm »

Absolutely.  Did that with my old Crown Vic, and ultimately got twice what their initial offer was.  Carfax and KBB were invaluable resources in that fight. 

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2022, 11:56:06 pm »
Not in the early 80's.  You don't see too many 1985 Yugo's at classic car auctions or shows.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2022, 12:24:10 am »

And beers.  :beer:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2022, 12:26:15 am »
And beers.  :beer:

And music!

Amen!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 01:06:38 am by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2022, 05:20:56 pm »
The tipping point was sometime in the 80s...

90s rigs are going away - not because they are all done, but because they are way too complicated and expensive to restore.

Wiring and sensors... All of them going bad by now... brittle and breaking... And way, way too much to replace reasonably.

My 79 Chevy pickup is on its third rebuild since I have owned it. Stem to stern. I will probably be in it under $5k. Good for another 100k miles.

Try doing that with say, a 97...

@roamer_1

My 86 GMC 2500 Diesel 4x4 only has around 125,000 miles on it,and should be good for another 300,000. No fuel additive,no smog equipment. Has crazy torqure.

It will last a LOT longer than I do,especially since I use a $400 "beater" 4 cylinder Ranger pu for local drives to the post office,grocery store,haul trash to the trash to the dump,etc,etc,etc. These old 4 cylinder Rangers are all over the place,and mostly dirt cheap.

They are also a HELL of a lot easier to park in and back out of places like supermarket parking spaces. These extended cab long wheelbase trucks do NOT turn tight circles,but they are not all over the road when you are pulling a trailer with a car on it at 75 MPH,either.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!