Author Topic: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾  (Read 24306 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Baseball 2022 - The Season is a-Go! ⚾
« Reply #200 on: November 04, 2022, 08:59:35 pm »
Maybe the off season will get him a brand new Skeeters uniform to show off his man bunns in!

LOL, I live 1 mile from there.
I get mini-season ticket packages every year.
I've seen a lot of these guys, and a lot of rehab starts.
Saw Pena at the end of last year.
Correa leaving?
I wasn't worried...

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #201 on: November 04, 2022, 09:14:55 pm »
LOL, I live 1 mile from there.
I get mini-season ticket packages every year.
I've seen a lot of these guys, and a lot of rehab starts.
Saw Pena at the end of last year.
Correa leaving?
I wasn't worried...

My two cents regarding the ASTROS' chances...

Do you save Christian Javier for Game 7, if necessary?

Or, do you blow your wad on a great Game 6?

Because...if by chance he gets his ass handed to him tomorrow night, it will completely mess up the Astro Dugout going into Game 7   :shrug:

@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@Bigun
@Elderberry
@AllThatJazzZ
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:16:07 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #202 on: November 04, 2022, 09:19:31 pm »

Because...if by chance he gets his ass handed to him tomorrow night, it will completely mess up the Astro Dugout going into Game 7   :shrug:

@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@Bigun
@Elderberry
@AllThatJazzZ

Haven't given it much thought, but if I were in charge (LOL!) we would stick with the regular rotation for Saturday but the starter would be on a VERY short leash. @DCPatriot
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:20:41 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #203 on: November 04, 2022, 09:34:36 pm »
Trivia time:  What player played in more major league parks than any other?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #204 on: November 04, 2022, 09:47:31 pm »

I'm going to take a WAG and say Lance McCullers Sr.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2022, 09:57:20 pm »
Haven't given it much thought, but if I were in charge (LOL!) we would stick with the regular rotation for Saturday but the starter would be on a VERY short leash. @DCPatriot

I'm just a strong believer in "momentum".

Imagine the Phillies playing from behind tomorrow thinking..."Geesh and we have to face Javier tomorrow?"

as opposed to the Phillies somehow getting to him tomorrow and have the Astros think..."Here we go again!"

And then face Nola?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2022, 10:03:19 pm »
I'm just a strong believer in "momentum".

Imagine the Phillies playing from behind tomorrow thinking..."Geesh and we have to face Javier tomorrow?"

as opposed to the Phillies somehow getting to him tomorrow and have the Astros think..."Here we go again!"

And then face Nola?

Somehow I doubt that the Stros are anywhere near as worried about facing Nola as you seem to think they are @DCPatriot

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2022, 10:09:21 pm »
Somehow I doubt that the Stros are anywhere near as worried about facing Nola as you seem to think they are @DCPatriot

The entire rotation will be available on Sunday for a Game 7.  Isn't just "Nola".

Anything can happen in a Game 7.  Talk about tightened sphincters...     :laugh:

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2022, 10:12:50 pm »
The entire rotation will be available on Sunday for a Game 7.  Isn't just "Nola".

Anything can happen in a Game 7.  Talk about tightened sphincters...     :laugh:

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2022, 01:16:37 am »
I'm going to take a WAG and say Lance McCullers Sr.

That's a negative, Ghost Rider.  Consider that there were only 26 teams when McCullers retired.  Might want to consider someone still playing in 1998 when there were 30 teams.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2022, 02:47:01 am »

A WAG from me too....

There was a flurry of new stadium builds in the '90's.

Since Nolan Ryan played 27 years, and had an early and late stint in the AL (CA and TEX), plus an early and late stint in the NL (NY and HOU).

That's my guess.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:48:03 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2022, 02:50:51 am »

@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@Bigun
@Elderberry
@AllThatJazzZ

I am having visions and nightmares of the Nationals series a few years ago.  They came in in G6/7 at Minute Maid, and took it.  I blamed it on taking G6 lightly and complacently. And the wheels fell off G7.

Baker and company need to treat both if needed as do or die.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #212 on: November 05, 2022, 03:35:32 pm »
A WAG from me too....

There was a flurry of new stadium builds in the '90's.

Since Nolan Ryan played 27 years, and had an early and late stint in the AL (CA and TEX), plus an early and late stint in the NL (NY and HOU).

That's my guess.

Ryan never faced the Rays or the Diamondbacks.  Again, look for someone still playing after 1998.

(Another hint:  Someone who faced the Nats before and after they moved to Washington.)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2022, 04:36:33 pm »
Ryan never faced the Rays or the Diamondbacks.  Again, look for someone still playing after 1998.

(Another hint:  Someone who faced the Nats before and after they moved to Washington.)

That would be the Expos until the mid '00's.  And I am guessing obviously had to play in both leagues. 

You got me stumped.  I also thought maybe Clemens, but he didn't play in the time frame in your clue.

Orosco maybe?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2022, 04:48:58 pm »

@GrouchoTex
@catfish1957
@Polly Ticks
@Bigun
@Elderberry
@AllThatJazzZ

Gave this some thought, and if I was the Manager, I would call the entire pitching staff into a meeting and say.....

We don't want a repeat of the Nationals series and lose Game 6 and 7 at home.

1.  I am splitting the entire pitching staff into Team A and Team B.  Team A will be on call tonight.
2.  Check you Egos at the door, even if you are a future HOF'er.  We will apply sabermetrics on pitching, (location and speed)  and bat exit velocity.  If you are apprently off, we will yank you. 
3.  If you are on Team A, and haven't pitched, and we lose, you are on Team B in G7.  And beleive me we will pull out all the stops.
4. More than one walk in an IP, you are pulled. More than one hit in an inning....  you are pulled.

The two we lost were the inability of starters to work out of Jams -(JV) or just basically getting your ass kicked (shelled)- McCullers.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:52:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #215 on: November 05, 2022, 04:51:48 pm »
You got me stumped.  I also thought maybe Clemens, but he didn't play in the time frame in your clue.

Orosco maybe?

Think hitters.

(Hint:  This player once won a batting title)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 04:56:06 pm by Hoodat »

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2022, 07:01:37 pm »
Gave this some thought, and if I was the Manager, I would call the entire pitching staff into a meeting and say.....

We don't want a repeat of the Nationals series and lose Game 6 and 7 at home.

1.  I am splitting the entire pitching staff into Team A and Team B.  Team A will be on call tonight.
2.  Check you Egos at the door, even if you are a future HOF'er.  We will apply sabermetrics on pitching, (location and speed)  and bat exit velocity.  If you are apprently off, we will yank you. 
3.  If you are on Team A, and haven't pitched, and we lose, you are on Team B in G7.  And beleive me we will pull out all the stops.
4. More than one walk in an IP, you are pulled. More than one hit in an inning....  you are pulled.

The two we lost were the inability of starters to work out of Jams -(JV) or just basically getting your ass kicked (shelled)- McCullers.

@catfish1957

LOL!  Well, there is such a thing as a "mistake".  In fact, if you ask any pitcher about that HR pitch he threw in the last inning, he'd say that he left it up in the zone, etc..   Rarely does he give credit for the hitter...especially on anything with 'movement'.

Stood in the box only 'listening' to 100 mph pitches hit the catcher's mitt.    The next day 92 looked like batting practice.   

Javier beat them and then the Phillies answered with 4 HR, didn't they?

One thing we can probably agree.  We'd like to see Dusty Baker get that 1st ring.  (Heck.. Trey Mancini, too! - cancer survivor during career)

Got my six pack of Stella all set!  Can't wait. 

Secondly...don't want to see a Game 7 on Sunday, where a Grade B and C team playing each other would attract more viewers than the freaking World Series Game 7.

...don't need that on your resume, do you, MLB??   

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2022, 03:22:53 am »
THE HOUSTON ASTROS WIN THE 2022 WORLD SERIES 🚀

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #218 on: November 06, 2022, 04:00:27 am »
Woot!!!!  Woot!!! Woot!!!!!

Carlos Correa walks for the Big Bucks....

His replacement?

Likely top 3 Rookie of the Year
Golden Glove
ALCS MVP
World Series MVP

Whoda' Thunk...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #219 on: November 06, 2022, 04:06:16 am »
Dynasty! Love 'em or loathe 'em, the World Series champion Astros are an all-time team

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957834/2022-world-series-houston-astros-mlb-dynasty

The ongoing iterative process of a great team remaining great while re-inventing itself one move at a time begs the question: How long can the Astros be vilified? This has nothing to do with forgiveness or redemption. It's all about a recognition of a unique, high-functioning baseball machine.

Does this championship allow the Astros to completely turn the page on the scandal? The truth is, they don't have to, because that happened a long time ago. All of the Astros, those who were there and those who were not, have heard it all over the last few years. It no longer really matters.

"We don't really care what the fans think," Pressly said after Game 5 in Philadelphia, where the vitriol was almost tangible. "Everywhere we go, we get booed. It's Houston versus y'all."

Amid all of the indignation and controversy and often overheated disdain, the Astros have remained just a baseball organization -- better than most, sure, and perhaps the best of all. In doing so, they have become what that 2017 team seemed very capable of becoming: A dynasty.

Dynasties can disappear rather quickly -- history is littered with examples of those who dominated for a long time and then suddenly vanished. It could happen to the Astros as well, but don't bet on it happening any time soon.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #220 on: November 06, 2022, 04:14:44 am »
Dynasty! Love 'em or loathe 'em, the World Series champion Astros are an all-time team

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34957834/2022-world-series-houston-astros-mlb-dynasty

The ongoing iterative process of a great team remaining great while re-inventing itself one move at a time begs the question: How long can the Astros be vilified? This has nothing to do with forgiveness or redemption. It's all about a recognition of a unique, high-functioning baseball machine.

Does this championship allow the Astros to completely turn the page on the scandal? The truth is, they don't have to, because that happened a long time ago. All of the Astros, those who were there and those who were not, have heard it all over the last few years. It no longer really matters.

"We don't really care what the fans think," Pressly said after Game 5 in Philadelphia, where the vitriol was almost tangible. "Everywhere we go, we get booed. It's Houston versus y'all."

Amid all of the indignation and controversy and often overheated disdain, the Astros have remained just a baseball organization -- better than most, sure, and perhaps the best of all. In doing so, they have become what that 2017 team seemed very capable of becoming: A dynasty.

Dynasties can disappear rather quickly -- history is littered with examples of those who dominated for a long time and then suddenly vanished. It could happen to the Astros as well, but don't bet on it happening any time soon.

I might be a tad biased, but with all the shit from the haters?.....   They can stick the asteriks up their ass!!!!!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #221 on: November 06, 2022, 04:16:00 am »
I might be a tad biased, but with all the shit from the haters?.....   They can stick the asteriks up their ass!!!!!

Oh and BTW....   love the moment our fans boo'ed the hell out of Manfred.   Man was he pissed.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #222 on: November 06, 2022, 12:33:36 pm »

That blast by Alvarez?  Almost gave my cat a stroke!!

Congratulations, @catfish1957

:beer:

PS:  Phillies batters struck out 71 times in the six game series!  Tell me again how great hitting can beat great pitching!   **nononono*
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 12:41:42 pm by DCPatriot »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2022, 01:56:32 pm »
That blast by Alvarez?  Almost gave my cat a stroke!!

Congratulations, @catfish1957

:beer:

PS:  Phillies batters struck out 71 times in the six game series!  Tell me again how great hitting can beat great pitching!   **nononono*

In my day, .230 hitters stayed in the bush leagues or opened an insurance agency back home, now they get million $$$ contracts in the bigs!  Just saying!  (Hitters ain't what they used to be.)

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2022, 10:22:19 pm »