Author Topic: Dozens of sailors reenlist together aboard USS Harry S. Truman in Mediterranean  (Read 84 times)

rebewranger

Dozens of sailors reenlist together aboard USS Harry S. Truman in Mediterranean
BY DAVE RESS• DAILY PRESS • MARCH 9, 2022

(Tribune News Service) — Months into their deployment in the tense waters of the Mediterranean, dozens of USS Harry S. Truman’s sailors have reenlisted — and decided they wanted to take the oath together.

It’s not the usual way to sign up for another hitch, and the decision isn’t always the easiest.

“Taking the oath with so many other shipmates was a relieving feeling because you are there with so many others in so many different situations that are choosing to make that hard decision and stay in with you and fight by your side,” said Petty Officer 2nd Class Daniel G. Dziewit, whose job is to make sure the radar, avionics and electronic systems on Truman’s aircraft work properly as the air wing flies its policing missions on NATO’s eastern flank.

“Being deployed really did make me contemplate reenlisting,” he said. “Reenlisting was both an easy and a hard decision. Easy for the fact of the job security and the benefits for myself and my family. Hard for the fact that my fiancee and I are no longer deploying together and have a 9-month old boy at home, so reenlisting means that I have to spend long periods of time away from them.”

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2022-03-09/dozens-sailors-reenlist-navy-uss-harry-s-truman-mediterranean-5282779.html