Author Topic: States one step closer in uphill, unconventional approach to amend Constitution, limit federal govt  (Read 85 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A state senator calling for constitutional amendments said that "overreach on the part of the federal government" has forced states to attempt reform in a way never accomplished before.

The Nebraska Legislature passed a resolution Jan. 28 calling on states to begin the formal process to pass constitutional amendments that would limit the federal government's spending and jurisdiction, as well as set term limits for members of Congress.

"What's driving this as much as anything is overreach on the part of the federal government," Nebraska state Sen. Steve Halloran, who sponsored the resolution, told Fox News.

"The Founding Fathers had anxiety that that might happen," he said. "I don't believe they imagined that it would get to this point."

Halloran urged other states to "seriously consider" the legislation to call for a Convention of States.

"It's an exercise in what the Constitution is," he told Fox News. "I think it would be a great civics lesson once it happens."

The resolution has passed one chamber in eight states, and legislation is pending in 15 more state legislatures. A convention of states under Article V has never been called.

Amendments instead have been proposed through Congress. Only 27 have been added since the Constitution was adopted.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/states-one-step-closer-in-uphill-unconventional-approach-to-amend-constitution-limit-federal-govt-power
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.