Author Topic: Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 166 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 10:32:13 pm »
Zappa was an eccletric genius.  Most everyone I knew, including myself had Apostrophe. What are your top 2 or 3 Zappa/Mothers albums?

1966 Freak out
1971 Filmore East
1973 Over-nite sensation

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 10:51:10 pm »
Some others to consider:

Blind Faith
Canned Heat
Cream
Kansas
Procol Harum
Robin Trower
Steve Miller Band
Ten Years After
Trapeze
Lord Buckley

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 02:43:49 am »
@debrawiest

One group that I had forgotten all about. This particular song is familiar, but it wasn't a group that I can say I'm overly familiar with.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 01:14:29 pm »
July 1974 List

1. Black Sabbath (No change)

By 74 I was so burnt out on Black Sabbath that if anyone tried to stuff their tape in my 8track it got thrown out the window.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 05:34:09 pm »
A few more that I enjoy:

Blue Oyster Cult
Dire Straits
Edgar Winter
Eric Clapton
Foghat
Foreigner
Joe Walsh
Mountain

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 07:09:49 pm »
I haven't seen Kansas pop up on anyone's list yet.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 07:11:26 pm »
It was on my 1st list.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 02:19:44 pm »
May 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (No change)
5. Billy Joel (+1)
6. Boston (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Police (+3)
9. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
10. Toto (-1)
11. Cars (-2)
12. REO Speedwagon (+6)
13. Kansas (No change)
14. Tom Petty (No change)
15. Eagles (-3)
16. Romantics (New)
17. Rush (-1)
18. Devo (New)
19. Dictators (-4)
20. Off Broadway (-3)

Devo- . This is the first time, I have ever gone back through these list, and in some cases I am pretty shocked what I listed as good, or believe that I bought into some of these "fads". I am more proud of my muscial tastes in the early '70's versus the early '80's.  Having Devo is just one of several examples, Billy Joel, another.  Proliferation of music videos and MTV didn't help.  Devo, as everyone knows employed a simple schtick.......   Wear matching stupid jump suits and wear flower pots on their heads.  When a musical genre really starts getting traction (New Wave), for every Cars and Police, you get 20 DEVO's.

Want to get a laugh?, and this is from their wiki page explaining what DEVO means...."The name DEVO comes from the concept of "de-evolution" and the band's related idea that instead of continuing to evolve, mankind had begun to regress, as evidenced by the dysfunction and herd mentality of American society."  While that dystopian vision sure has some truth to it, they became the same band that by the end had 9 studio albums, and 11 compliations.  Just how many ways can you repackage crap to DEVO'ed minds?   :silly:

Me?  I am just dreading when I have to admit when I get the point where I have to report that "The Knack" made my list. This is my DEVO period of musical tastes.  If I guess I have to add a track, I'll give you their hit...   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 10:01:32 pm »
1982 - Aldo Nova - Fantasy

Nova was a fantasticly speedy ax, who in the day was quite heralded. Sadly he  has faded over time, and now is almost forgotten.

For years, I had thought Buck Dharma was doing the shredding in one my favorie BOC Songs "Take Me Away". Come to find out Aldo Nova was the master of this solo.  Pan to about 2:50 of this video for an idea.  Got to hand to them, this video is seriously creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1NYhbiiiFw

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 03:50:15 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Yes- The Yes Album  (1971)

This is the abum that introduced me to Prog.  And is arguably the most influental LP in the genre's history.  Masterpiece musicanship that clicked in an uncanny manner.  Where prog was previously  stodgy, spacey, and Pink Floydish before.  Yes, introduced a more melodic classical vibe that though not as classically structured as ELP, made it much more listenbable.  In choosing a Yes album, it was between this one and Fragile.  Both are outstanding, but I went with this one becuase of it's groundbreaking status.

I ask you to truly focus on the bass work of Squire.  This is a standard and benchmark of musicanship that so perfectly jives with Howe's fret work, what maestros there were, and at such a young age. Don't forget, this is pre-Wakeman.  Not that Tony Kaye was no slouch, he wasn't, but I do have to admit that Wakeman's wizardry does add a special dimension to future albums.

As usually cuts are ranked in blue of my preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6oPS4aLk8

Side 1
-------

Yours is No Disgrace-  Yes comes out rocking big time in the first cut.  This song and Roundabout are what I call the ultimate Squire Bass lines.  His bass work slaps you in the face like a 2x4. What a great band.-3

The Clap- Howe accoustal ditty that pretty much is not my thing.  Yeah, he's a great guitar player, but this is not what people want to hear from Yes.-6

Starship Trooper- (Subsetted into 3 parts- Life Seeker, Disillusion, Wurm)  Best stongwriting on the Album.  Best compliation of showcasing all band members talents.  Last 4 minutes, (Wurm) does a nice cressendoingly explosion of work that speaks volumes of how the talent of this band gels. -2

Side 2
----------

I've Seen All Good People- (Subsetted into Your Move and All Good People)- Greatest cut, and easily most recognizable from airplay.  First half of song, has great melodic play from Jon Anderson.  Spectaular.  Latter, ups the rocking angle, and ends with a unique fantastic gradual organ drenched chromatic chorus step down at the end, that is truly trademarked to Yes.  It doesn't get much better than this- 1

A Venture- I admit that Anderson is not my favorite songwriter/maker in the Band, and this one has his fingers all over it.  Not exactly filler, but a reversion to some of their earlier less stellar work.-5

Perpetual Change-  A favorite in the Yes catalog among many.  And a great finale to a great album.  Bruford's best effort in percussion, really adds to this tune that weaves in and out complexity and tenor.  The fact I see this as the 4th best song on this  album, is true testament of its greatness  -4

There is no doubt, that Prog and the likes of Dream Theatre among others would not exist with this album.  It is an icon.