Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 114333 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2023, 06:58:38 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic (1975)

Most rock fans have a particular favorite of theirs when it comes to the "Coming of Age Topic".  Yeah this was blaring on the 8 track and soundtrack during my youthful indoctrination into sin and debauchery.  Aerosmith has had a long and illusterous career.  It has been uneven ride, but there was a period of time in '74 and '75 with "Get Your Wings and this one, that there was no doubt, they were among the royalty of Rock bands at the time.

Toys is more consistent and less filler than Get Your Wings, but I will have to admit their remake of Train Kept a Rollin' is my favorite in their catalog. In any case, this is a fantastic album, and if you want one that best exemplies their talents as hard rockers.....   This is the one.

Side 1

Toys in the Attic-  Bombastic, Chaotic, and bad ass.  The band awesomely and innovatively syncs 2 guitars and a bass into one hook induced riff meister. Perry also does some fantastic solo work mid way 2

Uncle Salty- Boys take it down a couple of notches, in a semi-bluesy tune, that has some decent late song harmonies.  Not near the best on the LP, but not filler either. 7

Adam's Apple- Another Solid Rocker, but as far as overall quality with the full album, lower tier.  6

Walk this Way- Vocal gymastics from Tyler, in this very famous tune.  As far as I know this was the first sampled rock song by the Rap community 4

Big 10 Inch- Band decides to try without success to do a 40's swing number that is just mostly silly sexual innuendo.  Worst part of the LP- 9

Side 2

Sweet Emotion-  This one very song almost defines Rock in 1975.  Even the movie Dazed and Confused played it in its entirety.  For every BeeGees and KC and the Sunshine song, this one was there to counter the stench.  The reversed sounding percussion added to the bombing melody line are unique.  And are permanently ingrained into our pscyhe of the era. 1

No More No More-  After being winded after Sweet Emotion, this Boogie Woogie based keyboards perfectly augments this awesome hard rocking tune, just keeps the buzz going.  3

Round and Round- Another really good solid rocker. Really good Perry solo work, under almost a metal like base, and bass for that matter- 5

You See Me Crying-  All of you know that with a few exceptions, I am not into Rock Ballads.  Unfortunately this is what we get at the close of the LP.  There is some redeeming solo work by Perry at the end of the song.  But meh...  for the most part.  8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKEx9R0w5nI

Another great review!  I'd personally flip Toys in the Attic and Sweet Emotion, but I get that's a minority view.  That little extra bit of chaos just makes it more interesting to me.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2023, 07:02:02 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Kiss- Destroyer (1976)

How about a curve ball?  Expect me to come out with a Kiss Album.  Well first the negatives...   Kiss were atrocious musicans.  Everything from 1973-1975 was a garage band crap. 10,000  other garage bands could have made any complation of drivel that came from this group early on.  So why was this one of the biggest bands in the Country in the mid 1970's.  They took the shock schtick mantle from Alice Cooper, and exploited it, like no had ever before. 

But....

The boys borrowed who I feel is the most underated Producers all time for their 1976 work.  Bob Ezrin.  Ezrin previously took an gawd awful "Prettys for You" era Alice Cooper, and made them respectable, on every angle of song writing, musicanship, with that flare for showmanship. The album Destroyer almost seems like a once in a lifetime creative epiphany for the band, and they put together this very solid effort.  As with all Kiss albums, there are massive amounts of innuendo, and lyrical sharing of the Rock and Roll lifestyle.

So with that, here is a producer inspired band, who infused some great production values, and backed off the amps from "11" to "10". And since this has some of the most innovative "hooks" (thanks to Ezrin), I'll spare the song details, and rank the tunes that aren't filler.

Side 1-

Detroit Rock City- 3
King of the Nightime World- 1
God of Thunder- 7

Side 2-

Flaming Youth- 5
Sweet Pain- 4
Shout it Out Loud- 2
Do You Love Me- 6

Filler -

Great Expectations (Side 1)

Beth (Side 2). Yes, this was their biggest hit on the LP, but is one awful syrupy crappy ballad.  Who bought this shit? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m50uOTpfib0

This was like the 3rd or 4th album I bought as a kid and, well ..I'd still like my money back.  Lol.  But probably the best of their output.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #752 on: January 07, 2023, 07:06:24 am »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Deep Purple- Machine Head (1972)

Before Eddie Van Halen set the bar for being the ultimate Ax narcissist, there was Richie Blackmore.  Back in the day, there weren't many bands bigger than Deep Purple. In fact they held No. 2 billing in the 1974 California Jam behind ELP.  Very talented band that suffered from the iron fisted control of Blackmore.  That fist caused unfortuate lineup changes.  But this one in particular, was them at their pinnacle.
If he'd had any care for the legacy of this band, there wouldn't be any Rainbow tangents, or other temper tantrums.

Purple, still had to live in the shadow of Led Zeppelin, and from what I read at the time really grated on Richie Blackmore. What really makes me dig this era of Purple, was Jon Lord, (again IMO) behind Emerson and Wakeman, the greatest rock keyboardsman of all time.  And in this particular album he smokes it.    In any case, if you want an example of Deep Purple at its best, this is the trick.

Side 1

Highway Star-  Right out of the gates rocking- Great tune, with all members clicking on all cylinders. Jon Lord's (example 1) organ solo is fantiastic.  Blackmore does some nice solo work at the end too. 3

Maybe I'm a Leo- Funky Blusey number that if you put Morrison's voice on it, you might think it was the Doors. Another solid effort- 5

Pictures of Home- Another good one.  This one particular highlight's Paice's excellent percussion runs. I love how Giliam interphases sub-screams, sometimes in almost Robert Plant fashion.  Sometimes you wonder how much the Yardbirds/Zep truly influenced Deep Purple. Glover does a fine solo at the end too.  This is maybe the best tune on the LP showcasing the band's talents.  Not the best written one, but maybe the best technically 6

Never Before- Another foray into a funky-blusey arena. Might be the weakest of a super strong album.  And that is no knock on this tune, it rocks as does the others. - 7

Side 2-

Smoke on The Water-  Opening power riffs are the most recognizable in the entire history of Rock.  If you don't recognize those riffs or this song, you have probably wandered into the wrong thread.  Bad ass song, but like many in my opinion grate on you after hearing it 50,000 times.  Glover's thunderous bass work often gets overlooked in this mainstay of classic rock radio. 4

Lazy-  I mentioned earlier that I felt Jon Lord was the 3rd best in rock history on the ivories.  But given the fact the other two are better (Emerson and Wakeman) are highly prog driven, and peg out the pretentious factor.  Jon Lord in this particular effort made what I feel is the greatest straight out hammond organ driven blues rock in roll song in history. 2

Space Truckin'- Lost in the catalog of Machine behind SOTW, is what I feel is the gem of the entire career of Deep Purple. Song has aged great through the sands of time.  This one brings out the Beavis and Butthead in us.   YEAH!!! YEAH !!! YEAH!!! SPACE TRUCKING!!!!!! 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCVe0cs4DI

Damn you write good reviews.  This was my very first album.  I think I was in 7th grade or something when I got it.  I'd flip Highway Star and Lazy, but I can't argue with what you said about Jon Lord.  Blackmore gets the headlines, but that Glover/Paice rhythm section was bad-ass.  I also really liked Gillan's voice - couldn't stand Coverdale in comparison.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2023, 07:19:41 am »
Nice review! Back in the Saddle is one of my favorite Aerosmith tunes.   Great mix of blues/rock with a hint of funk.

Thanks...

Love hearing opinions of classic rock from others.  Music was so special then.  There's about a 1000 I'd like to review if I had the time.  Additions are appreciated, so please partiicpate.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2023, 07:23:56 am »
Classic Album of the Day-  Rush-2112

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPpQWyMjQ-s

There is no argument that Rush did not invent Prog Music.  However, in 1976 this trio of Canadians maybe gave the genre is most powerful redefinition in said genre's history.  Rush in their 1st 2  albums pretty much went with a Zep formula of hard rock tunes that provided some minor hits and a strong but finite following. In album No. 3 (early 1976 Caress of Steel) they jumped into the progressive forum but with dismal critical and commercial success.  Even us most ardent Rush fans have to admit that there is a hard and uneven  feel to the sound.  It seemed to channel Yes, but was forced and IMO mostly unlistenable (with a few exceptions).  BUT....  the seeds were planted of future greatness.

Rush documentaries have stated that this bomb put the band on notice, and that the next one would be a make or break LP.  The band thumbed their nose at the record companies, and under pressure created this masterpiece.  This album's legacy is remarkable, and in almost every compliation of greatest Prog albums of all time......   This one makes their Top 10 List.

Side 1-  2112- A 7 part (20 minute) masterpiece that Neil Peart composed lyrics from aspiration of Ayn Rand's Fountain Head and Anthem.  The song's theme is around a dystopian society that dictates all thought and actions of their minions.  A group of hierarchal Priests (The Solar Federation) control society, and expect the population to bow and obey.  The hero of the story accidentaly finds himself in something like a cave, and then finds an ancient  guitar.  He randomly strums, then tunes the device and suddenly gets excited with sounds it makes as music.  In his excitement he brings it to the attention of the Priests who poo-poo the concept as useless relics of an earlier era.  Our hero gets despondent, and it is perceived that this has triggerd a revolt.  The Solar Federation puts the thumb down on the insurgents, and extol at the end after the attack.....  THAT THEY ARE IN CONTROL......

Even back then I had a strong political bent, I considered this more like a Sci-Fi story than an important message.  2112 today has so much more meaning and value to us than ever.  The dystopia that Peart/ Rand warn are closer than we think.  Granted Peart softened his Libertarain stances later in life, after decades of left shaming from the communist music industry, and his own personal tragedies.

Musically, 2112 has such a extreme different sound that doesn't even remotely resemble the 1st three albums.  All 3 members hone their skills and are at least twice as good muscially on every angle.  This was also the point that Mr. Peart started getting noticed for his percussion prowess, and among the best at his trade.  Geddy Lee's voice seemed fuller and less shrill.  He no longer wanted to be a Robert Plant clone, and brought rangeand tone that augmented the music beautifully.  All 3 members are jaw dropping fabulous in working the tunes in a powerful manner.  If you have never listened to this album....  Do yourself a favor and at least listen to Side 1.

Side 2-

Where Side 1 was in Full Concept Mode, Side 2 focused on more traditonal fare.

Passage to Bangkok-  Rush had 19 albums, and this one single tune is the only one that was drug themed over that 40 year period.  Great  Lifeson solo at the end.  A fan favorite of the 420 set. 

The Twilight Zone-  Geddy  goes high octave on the band's tribute to this classic TV show.  Maybe the weakest tune on the LP,  but still a decent song.

Lessons-  Besides 2112, my favorite cut from the LP.  Beautiful chordal progressions, intertwined with alternating heavy riffs.  Peart's least complex part on the LP.  But the way Lee/Lifeson blend their parts?  Fantastic.  I know other Rush fans like this tune less, but in my book...   A pure gem.

Tears-  Was blown away how two consecutive songs so beautiful could be so different on a melodic level..  From Uplifting to meloncolly on the turn of a dime.  This is one of very few of what I would call "rock ballads" in Rush's extensive catalog.

Something For Nothing-  Just to make sure prior Rush fans were made happy, this tune was included.  It's style would make you swear it came from "Fly By Night". IMO- 3rd best song on the LP.  A very rocking tune, and an add to many Rush concert play lists in the late '70's.

The band always called this album their piviotal turning point in their career.  No longer did they have to bend to the whims of record company executives, and now had full artistic control over their musical content.  Without 2112 there would not be no Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, or Farwell to Kings.

Love this album and review.  Only quibble is that I think you're misread the ending of 2112.  It isn't the bad guys/Solar Federation winning, but rather the the "good guys".  The voices at the end are those of the men who previously left Earth  ("they left our planet long ago, the elder race to learn and grow....)" finally returning to the planet.  They see what the Priests have done, and they put a stop to it.

Heard Peart confirm that once in an interview, which kind of makes the song even better because it is a hopeful ending.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2023, 07:27:08 am »
This was my very first album.  I think I was in 7th grade or something when I got it.  I'd flip Highway Star and Lazy, but I can't argue with what you said about Jon Lord.  Blackmore gets the headlines, but that Glover/Paice rhythm section was bad-ass.  I also really liked Gillan's voice - couldn't stand Coverdale in comparison.

Spot on....

Can you imagine what the legacy of Deep Purple would look like if Blackmore could have kept this line up together.  In my earlier review, I wish I had mentioned the immediate addition of "Made in Japan".   I never got to see Purple in concert, but I put this work in 2nd place of all Live Rock albums behind  The Who's Live at Leeds. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:42:30 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #756 on: January 07, 2023, 07:37:50 am »
Love this album and review.  Only quibble is that I think you're misread the ending of 2112.  It isn't the bad guys/Solar Federation winning, but rather the the "good guys".  The voices at the end are those of the men who previously left Earth  ("they left our planet long ago, the elder race to learn and grow....)" finally returning to the planet.  They see what the Priests have done, and they put a stop to it.

Heard Peart confirm that once in an interview, which kind of makes the song even better because it is a hopeful ending.

I see your point, and I think you are right,   Maybe I am jaded by watching the comic version that has been attached to 2112 that seems to give it the more sinister ending .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jwxrTqoEA

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #757 on: January 07, 2023, 01:57:45 pm »
Styx songs are properly ranked in inverse order of Dennis DeYoung's presence.  One of the most annoying voices in "rock".  Glad to see he's rightly despised!

The only exception to that would be “Lady”.  He was pretty great on that song. Of course, Tommy Shaw’s background vocals sure helped.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #758 on: January 07, 2023, 03:39:29 pm »
Thanks...

Love hearing opinions of classic rock from others.  Music was so special then.  There's about a 1000 I'd like to review if I had the time.  Additions are appreciated, so please partiicpate.

I'm basically a prog guy but still love a lot of classic rock.  Aerosmith, Zep, Bad Company, all that stuff.  Loved your Leftoverture review.

YouTube has been a gold mine for fans of older music that can really open some musical doors.  Been watching tons of interviews and some live performances I hadn't seen.  The interviews really are great when bands like Yes, etc. discuss how they got started on their particular paths, etc..

Never was a huge fan of Black Sabbath, but I saw a cut of War Pigs from a 1970 show in Paris that was just jaw-dropping, so I finally "got it" with them.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #759 on: January 07, 2023, 04:06:33 pm »
I'm basically a prog guy but still love a lot of classic rock.  Aerosmith, Zep, Bad Company, all that stuff.  Loved your Leftoverture review.

YouTube has been a gold mine for fans of older music that can really open some musical doors.  Been watching tons of interviews and some live performances I hadn't seen.  The interviews really are great when bands like Yes, etc. discuss how they got started on their particular paths, etc..

Never was a huge fan of Black Sabbath, but I saw a cut of War Pigs from a 1970 show in Paris that was just jaw-dropping, so I finally "got it" with them.

I know about what you mean about YT being a gold mine.  I've found so many fascinating things that just couldn't believe. 

And I don't think I have shared this before, but my most used YT item is a 6 hour (ad free  :cool:) 62 song compilation of 20 years of Live Rush. Has about 80% of that era's songs that matter.   I have probably put more hours on this one particular YT piece than any other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYx5AOMtwU0

And to the topic of Black Sabbath, when I first heard them in 1970/71 , Paranoid and Master of Reality,  I was floored.  Got to remember back that before that era, pretty much everything was post Sgt. Pepper- Magical Mystery Tour clones and flowery, hippy stuff.

In that 1969-71 timeframe Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and to a degree Deep Purple brought joyful 110 db distorted, sternum and jaw vibrating rock that just was like nothing before.  I now agree that a bunch of it is outdated and inane, but deep in the crevices of this genre was the seeds of change that thankfully the '60's were over.  And this music defined it, maybe more than any other musical direction.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:07:26 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #760 on: January 07, 2023, 06:20:55 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Frank Zappa- Apostrophe (') (1974)  ****

Really switching gears today, with a dose of the strange.  Zappa had a ton of albums during his life (62 studio albums) , and he was literally all over the map in theme, style, and overall music product.   He sure doesn't have that awfully wide of an audience base, but that was  the true nature of the Zappa persona.  He never cared what critics or even what his fans thought.  The thing is, Zappa may have been the one most intelligent person in Rock history. I've heard his IQ was 190, and if you ever listen to his numerous interviews, he sure drummed to a different drummer,...... but there was no doubting his brilliances, insight and passion on what he believed.  He and Gore Vidal may the most left of center feared debate opponents ever.

Additionally, though he may have been indifferent to critics and fans Zappa may have been the most versatile songwriters ever.  He mastered every genre, almost toying with each.  Jazz, rock, blues, soul, country....yeah it was all there in certain doses.  What I am covering is his best.  Not only commerically, but technically, and lyrically.    What puts the icing on the cake, is Zapp's dry wry wit that he does on all his work.....   This is the best. Absolutely hilarious at times.  For the uninitiated, and if you are limited on time....  Focus on Side 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9aJUePkNA

Side 1

Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow- Masterful time/signature changes and metering .  Funny as hell, and a slow rolling jazz ditty.  How often do you ever hear the term in music review of "jazz ditty". Yeah...  Zappa at his best, that blends smoothly into...... 1

Nanook Rubs it-  These first two can not be effectively decoupled.  Crazy wild ax and horn runs intermingled with Zappa at his best hilarity. Genius comic lyricsm   Great Googly Moogily!!!!!!!  1

Saint Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast- First 2 nicely blends into this musical brilliant jazz infused laugh a minute tune.  Some of the solo runs are mind boggling .  Crazy good, and my favorite of highlighting the band as an emsemble. 2

Father O'Blivion- And again,,,,like  phasing in like a well oiled machine.   Blends in almost concept fashion, and a rocking clinic on musicanship. 3

Cosmik Debris- Zappa tones it down a tad into a bluesy jazzy number.  The soulful choir in chorus is a bizarre but masterful touch.  When you hear Zappa you just get amazed of how he comes up with this random stuff.  His guitar blues solo at the end, just mysteriously throws the listener into what the hell, where did that come from. 4

Side 2-

Excentrigual Forz-   More of Jazz/Rock fuse.  As I said earlier, I thought there was a big differnce in quality between side 1 and 2.  The opening number pretty much exemplifies it. Nothing bad as far as musicanship.  By the end you are thinking Zappa is telling a conceptual story.  That's all lost by here.  8

Apostrophe-  A good solid rocking tune, that doesn't really sound like Zappa, and more like other MOR bands of the era.  Still the best tune on this side. IMO. - 5

Uncle Remus- Zappa really didn't hit the mark too well on this rock /soul blend- No doubt solid musically, but not Zappa's best songwriting effort- 7

Stink-Foot- A bit of re-gurgitating of Side 1 style with rinky tink piano.  Does have some pretty amazing humour and guitar work. Tune may be about 2 minutes too long.   6

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:45:12 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #761 on: January 07, 2023, 07:10:51 pm »
My favorite cover of my favorite Zappa tune by one of my favorite musicians, Dawayne Bailey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRge2V-K6yU

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2023, 04:17:01 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995) *** 1/2

By the early 1990's, I tought  90+% of what I felt was great rock music was gone.  Maybe me and my tastes had become a dinosaur of a long gone relic. Musical tastes are all subjective, so who is to say whether I was right or wrong.   Grunge clones and Alpha Numeric Punk Bands had infilitrated the ubiqui-sphere, and M-tv had allowed that formula to sour to a stench of mediocrity.  In 1975, a visit to the record store?  I had to desperately pick between at least 20-30 LP's that I thought was worth my $6 investment.  1995?  It was to challenge to find 1 new one I liked.  By this time, I was mostly supplementing the  "old stuff".

It is not the intent to be preachy on this review, and what it is, is a lead in to a band that was an exception to those times.....   Smashing Pumpkins.  SP's time in the limelight was short.  They provided a unique sound that was a variable of fuzz metal, grunge and punk.  Front man, Billy Corgan basically provided 95% of the songwriting, songmaking, and inspiration.  Though SP still exist, the band as a serious rock act only existed 1991-2000, centering on 5 albums of varying quality.  I only recommend 2 of these-  Siamese Dream in 1993, and this work.

What makes Mellen Collie?.......   It is its special mystical dream like aura and strangeness  First, strange on its length.  It was a double-CD, and in its viny re-release, was a Triple album.  As far as I know this is the only studio rock album in this configuation.  All the rest are compliations or live.   Also strange on content.  There are plenty of heavy heavy tunes, and some into the foray of thrash metal.  There are also tons of softer crooned stuff for balance.  Some good, and a lot  of filler in that department   This is obviously Corgan's swan song, and he wears his lyrics of despair, anger, and disgust on his sleeves like a badge. 

And last, I sure as heck was not going to rank the tunes on  content.  This CD is 28 tracks and 2 hours long.  Instead I will rate them 1-5 asterisks.

Disc 1-

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness-   In our minds, this beautiful piano instrumental opening was raising our eyebrows.  Lurking mellontron, gives an eery feel, and was a harbringer of what was to come with this classic.    ****

Tonight, Tonight- Great songwriting skills in force.  Drums rolling while more mello work.  Orchestrations augment very nicely. Corgan takes us on our first roller coaster ride of emotion.  In some ways I think the intent is a schizo theme.  I have not seen any Corgan interviews on the stylistic aspects, so, hell it might just be random- *****

Jelly Belly- Now, we are back into familar SP territory.  If Corgan hadn't given us our sternum buzzing fuzz, there might have been a coup.    Chaos Pumpkin , oh yeah....   *****

Zero- One of the best tunes on this work.  Instrumental airplay intertwined with some of Corgan's most depressing and dispair lyriscm.  There are some Sound effects to this day included that I can't figure.  Best guess?  I guess he is grinding his pick on the grooves of the strings.  In any case it just compounds the sounds of rage and anger. *****

Here is No Why- Middle of the Road stuff, nothing to highlight.  ***

Bullet With Butterfly Wings-  The best on the album.  I don't think I have ever heard a song that screams despair more than this one.  Even Metallica couldn't create a song this depressing.  Band alternates nicely with rolling rocking bass-lined fare, and breaks out in all hell breaks lose in alternate fashion.  This was the non-pop hit like that got the airplay. *****

To Forgive- Sad Sad....ballad.  I understand how it fits in, with the intent of the theme of the album, and if you like this aspect of their style, I know you'll love it.  I just don't   **

An Ode to no one-  Boom...   The band takes us back on the rollercoaster.  This is as good as any of the thrash-metal that would be prevalent in the industry in the 00's. ****

Love- May be the strangest tune on the album.  Corgan takes a fuzz distort-o approach on a slow rolling rocker.  This song almost has a "White Album" feel to it.  Thumbs up.   *****

Cupid DeLocke-  More strangeness.  Dreamy like, harp infused love ballad. Melodic lines are unique.  By this time, you can tell Corgan is showing off.  ****

Galapagos- Another low key ballad that misses the mark though. i guess you can't expect 28 gems. **

Muzzle-  Another one of my favorites on this one.  This one sounds like it could have come directly from Siamese Dream.  Perfect blend of  Corgan guitar buzzed/distortion, and solid supporting cast.  Love these rolling drum fills as they augment some of SP's best. *****

Porcelina of Vast Oceans- Not every ballad in this work is good.  Corgan comes across and whiney and sappy in this drop off. Some redemptive nice riffs at the end, but by 2/3 the song being over, ya lost me Billy. *

Take Me Down- See Porecelina above, but even worse.  Sadly Disc 1 ends with a whimper. *

Disc 2-

Where the Boys to Fear to Tread- Hell Yeah...  Back to rocking.  Nothing unique or special here, but at least Billy wasn't whining. ***

Bodies-  happy77. True story, and probably happened to others-  The first time I played this, the sound effects at the beginning of this song, sounded like my CD player was chewing up my CD. Thankfully, not.    Really good tune, and par for the Pumpkins on their other solid efforts on this album. And yes ,the despair continues.  Makes you wonder about Corgan.  ****

Thirty-Three- At first hearing it might appear to be another sappy ballad, but the way Corgan infuses the slide guitar and salt shaker percussion gives this a standing hair on your arm feel to this one.  SP knew how to do strange.  ***

In the Arms of Sleep- More strangeness-  Corgan takes almost a southern rocker motif on this one.  Complete with what appears to be dogs barking in the background.  Got to wonder what kind of drugs were being used in those sessions. ***

1979- The well known almost pop hit from this album-  One thing on this one from my perspective.  It was the cold slap in the face that rockers younger than I was, were doing songs about their reminiscent past. 1979?  Hell, I was already out of college by then.  Docked 1 star for making me feel old.  ***

Tales of Scorched Earth-  Song 100% delivers on its title. This song was way ahead of its time.  Slash-industrial-Speed Metal on an incredibly talented level.  Those future slashers had nothing talent wise on this classic.  Why this one doesn't get some classic air play, defies my logic.  *****

Thru the Eyes of Ruby-  Interesting, Corgan seems to have composed an almost '70's like AOR type tune that morphs into SP-ish Fuzz.  Nice touch.   ***

Stumbleine- Sappy ballad with no redeeming value- *

X.Y.U.- Ah, the roller coaster has take us back up the slope- By now, Corgan's anger has gotten me fatigued. ***

We Only Come Out at Night- Maybe the one strangest song ever made by the Smashing Pumpkins.  Back drop melody- A zither, single percussion?  A Tam. Piano is added for front sided melody.  Are the Pumpkins vampires?  Simple, lyrics, simple melody.   I don't know why, but this song has like a hypnotic hold, that I just dig.  *****

Beautiful- Ugh....  Billy, what was the point of this?  *

Lily- Ugh (part 2)- 25 tracks in, I guess they were desperate for filler. *

By Starlight- More weakness, but maybe not quite as bad as the prior 2, due to some spooky unique back fill in at the end. **

Farewell and Goodnight- Well this ends the rollercoaster.  Ending tune continues the ending theme of sap.  I understand that Corgan wanted to make an epic blended album that showcased all aspects of their talents.  The atypical SP heavy stuff was great and it worked.  The balladry OTOH, only hit the mark so 30% of the time.  But still, this is an album well worth a listen, if you have never heard it.  **

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxfgRLvc

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:42:11 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Hoodat

« Reply #763 on: January 08, 2023, 09:50:36 pm »
Uncle Remus

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #764 on: January 11, 2023, 10:44:44 pm »
RiP Jeff Beck (1944-2023).   Whe I list out the top 10 GOAT guitarist, depending on my mood, I always have hie somewhere in the 5-10 slot

This is my favorite of his work....

Line up on this recording?  Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon, and Nicky Hopkins.  How about that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO0OZC6Ifk

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #765 on: January 14, 2023, 01:11:03 am »
Damn this is getting old....  another Obit.

RIP Robbie Bachman (1953-2023)  drummer of BTO, and brother to frontman, and guitarist of BTO, Randy Bachman

Recommend the 2nd through the 4th albums ('73-'75) for their best fare.

Though Taking Care of Business is their most recognizable, and biggest overall fan favorite, my personal favorite is this one from BTO II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDsmJ7_gBg

Online Hoodat

« Reply #766 on: January 14, 2023, 04:12:08 am »
A tribute to Robbie Bachman

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #767 on: January 14, 2023, 04:41:46 am »
Damn this is getting old....  another Obit.

RIP Robbie Bachman (1953-2023)  drummer of BTO, and brother to frontman, and guitarist of BTO, Randy Bachman

Recommend the 2nd through the 4th albums ('73-'75) for their best fare.

Though Taking Care of Business is their most recognizable, and biggest overall fan favorite, my personal favorite is this one from BTO II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQDsmJ7_gBg

“Let It Ride” is in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It’s a flat-out great song.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #768 on: January 14, 2023, 05:20:17 am »
“Let It Ride” is in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It’s a flat-out great song.

Great classic rock song.

I remember when my older brother got his BTO albums through the Columbia Record and Tape Club.  12 albums for only a dime, or whatever it was back then.  Brought me up on that stuff!

However, a buddy of mine once referred to them as "Bachman-Turner Overweight", and I've never been able to get that out of my head since.  Lol.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #769 on: January 14, 2023, 02:49:59 pm »

However, a buddy of mine once referred to them as "Bachman-Turner Overweight", and I've never been able to get that out of my head since.  Lol.

Yep, remember that.

I believe that term was coined by either Circus or Rolling Stone Magazine soon after II was released with huge success.  I think the most prehistoric of "fat shaming" was a dig at Bachman for helping disband "The Guess Who".  The rock critics back in the day were the most left wing of them all.  And killing a band who took the communist concepted "Share the Land" (The Guess Who) to "Taking Care of Business (BTO) was blasphemy in their eyes.

The critics hated them, for no really good reason.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 03:05:27 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #770 on: January 14, 2023, 03:04:41 pm »
This might be the ultimate 4 chorded hooked rock and roll song ever made in that era.  So simple, so lyrically devoid, so uncomplex of substance, but so damned good......  it's like the Ramones play Happy Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyrIe69L50

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #771 on: January 14, 2023, 03:40:25 pm »
Would have loved to have seen this....

Hard to believe half of them are dead now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUflCBraecQ

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #772 on: January 15, 2023, 05:20:13 am »
This might be the ultimate 4 chorded hooked rock and roll song ever made in that era.  So simple, so lyrically devoid, so uncomplex of substance, but so damned good......  it's like the Ramones play Happy Sabbath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyrIe69L50

I'm going to have to split with you on that one.  Never really liked it, and skipped it on the record if I was close enough to move the stylus.  Something like "Let it Ride" has that driving rhythm that kind of doesn't stop.  So did Takin' Care of Business and some others.  That rhythmic, boogie-band energy is the type of thing that can make a simple song into a very good song.   Kind of like the Doobies did masterfully before they made the mistake of handing the keys to that ultra-smooth, easy-listening douchnozzle Michael McDonald.  Okay, sorry I'm so opinionated on that.  The McDonald-era Doobie are on my Yacht Rock hate list, and I'm irrational when it comes to that.  And rather unpleasant.  lol.

Anyway, on Hey You, after the opening -- which sounds like they just re-used the (very good) opening to "Let it Ride" with some minor changes -- that verse ("Hey you, you say you wanna change the world....") just slows down and sucks all the energy out of the song, and it sounds really kind of plodding to me.  No energy.  Good when you get to the choruses, but I can't listen to the verses.

But, I'm an excessively picky prog guy, so everything I say needs to be heavily discounted.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:33:07 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #773 on: January 15, 2023, 07:04:28 am »
I'm going to have to split with you on that one.  Never really liked it, and skipped it on the record if I was close enough to move the stylus.  Something like "Let it Ride" has that driving rhythm that kind of doesn't stop.  So did Takin' Care of Business and some others.  That rhythmic, boogie-band energy is the type of thing that can make a simple song into a very good song.   Kind of like the Doobies did masterfully before they made the mistake of handing the keys to that ultra-smooth, easy-listening douchnozzle Michael McDonald.  Okay, sorry I'm so opinionated on that.  The McDonald-era Doobie are on my Yacht Rock hate list, and I'm irrational when it comes to that.  And rather unpleasant.  lol.

Anyway, on Hey You, after the opening -- which sounds like they just re-used the (very good) opening to "Let it Ride" with some minor changes -- that verse ("Hey you, you say you wanna change the world....") just slows down and sucks all the energy out of the song, and it sounds really kind of plodding to me.  No energy.  Good when you get to the choruses, but I can't listen to the verses.

But, I'm an excessively picky prog guy, so everything I say needs to be heavily discounted.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Well put...  It's maybe the "inane' aspects of the tune that in some ways appeals.  Kind of like in my earlier  "Ramones" analogy. In many ways like you, I am the ultimate prog-head.  Rush is my favorite band, and bands like them, ELP, and Yes are purveyors of  explosions of complexity and musicanship that nicely overwhelm the musical pallet.  There is also a part of me that is fascinated by the ability to take the most simple, repetitive, and ridiculous product and give it substance and catchy structure.

A really good example is 15th-early 17th Century Medieval music.  The tunes of the day were very configured proximally chromatically, and predicitve in form.  They generally almost stoically resided in singular major Key, and within one octave.  Still, when I hear them, they are very pleasant and are damned dateable, but still so powerful when put in orchestral form.  It amazes me that the great composers of that era compared to tangent of Mozart and Beethoven are almost like comparing Early Punk with Prog.  Here is a good example...  A Praetorius composition from 1620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugabxslZqNk&list=PLk-IgAEKYl2yIqWQs4sCYcMtOxZ1t9_Ks&index=4

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #774 on: January 16, 2023, 07:00:37 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Well put...  It's maybe the "inane' aspects of the tune that in some ways appeals.  Kind of like in my earlier  "Ramones" analogy. In many ways like you, I am the ultimate prog-head.  Rush is my favorite band, and bands like them, ELP, and Yes are purveyors of  explosions of complexity and musicanship that nicely overwhelm the musical pallet.  There is also a part of me that is fascinated by the ability to take the most simple, repetitive, and ridiculous product and give it substance and catchy structure.

A really good example is 15th-early 17th Century Medieval music.  The tunes of the day were very configured proximally chromatically, and predicitve in form.  They generally almost stoically resided in singular major Key, and within one octave.  Still, when I hear them, they are very pleasant and are damned dateable, but still so powerful when put in orchestral form.  It amazes me that the great composers of that era compared to tangent of Mozart and Beethoven are almost like comparing Early Punk with Prog.  Here is a good example...  A Praetorius composition from 1620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugabxslZqNk&list=PLk-IgAEKYl2yIqWQs4sCYcMtOxZ1t9_Ks&index=4

Interesting stuff.  It's instrumentation we're not used to hearing, and then even within the limited key, there is at least some contra-melody in there to keep it interesting at least for a bit.

I'd imagine it would lose some of its appeal if you listened to a lot of it, which is probably why more complex stuff developed.