Author Topic: Baseball 2024  (Read 9475 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2024
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2024, 10:51:15 am »
Long before the era of ESPN, and 24/7 baseball coverage and film, I remember seeing a play by CF Ceasar Cedeno (circa '71) that has to be the greatest I've seen.

Cedeno was playing in with man on 3rd with <2 outs, and a ball by a Pirate hitter(if memory serves)  was smoked high and deep to center.  Cedeno broke early and clean and dove at near the warning track catching it. Seemed impossible.

:beer:

Imagine all the 'impossible' catches there were BEFORE there were a half-dozen cameras covering the field.

Grew up watching in B&W with a single camera in the upper deck behind home plate.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2024, 01:18:08 pm »
:beer:

Imagine all the 'impossible' catches there were BEFORE there were a half-dozen cameras covering the field.

Grew up watching in B&W with a single camera in the upper deck behind home plate.

The greatest catch of all time, and there have been many, was by the say hey kid (Willie Mays) in center field at Yankee Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLt2xKaNH0
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2024, 01:21:31 pm »
The greatest catch of all time, and there have been many, was by the say hey kid (Willie Mays) in center field at Yankee Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLt2xKaNH0

Polo Grounds!  Say Hey!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2024, 01:23:40 pm »
Polo Grounds!  Say Hey!

:yowsa: I stand corrected. Should have known from the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 01:24:45 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2024, 06:52:58 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2024, 01:21:57 am »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2024, 02:22:16 am »
Polo Grounds!  Say Hey!

Dead center - 483 ft.

You had to clear that wall to be awarded a home run.  A ball hit through one of those windows was a ground rule double.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2024, 02:46:02 pm »

“During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.”
— Mickey Mantle