Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 118364 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #675 on: July 22, 2022, 06:56:59 pm »
Wife gave me a ... record player. Damn kids and your new fangled contraptions. In my day music was digital dag nabbit! Songs cost what Steve Jobs said they cost dammit!

I was like a kid in a candy store about 10 years ago, when I got one.  I had about a 1000  albums that I bought 1965- 1985 that had been dormant for a long time.  Was a blast getting to hear them again.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #676 on: July 23, 2022, 03:03:16 pm »
Classic Album of the Day- The Ramones- Self Titled (1976). ****

One of the most interesting aspects of rock music has been its ability to morph when the formula gets tired, and diluted.  Here's a brief and loose synopsis of its history up to todays example:

Rockabilly 1954-1963
Beatlemania- 1963-1967
Post Sgt Pepper's Psychadelic 1967-1971
Shock Rock and Heavy- 1971-1976
Punk 1976-1980

Punk's pioneers can be singled out to the Ramones and The Sex Pistols.  The record buying public was tiring (sadly) to the AOR that typically had a hit or two, but included way to much filler as well.  These two bands blasted into the scene almost simutaneously. But in many ways were as different as black and white.  The Sex Pistols had a vulgar anger that focused on the outrage, and less on the music.  Also nixing The Sex Pistols was the fact they  only made one album.  These guys just took their anarchy filled gibberish too seriously.  And thus they flamed out as quick as they arrived. 

The Ramones OTOH, enjoyed significant longevity with 14 albums over almost 20 years.  Considering their influence, I found it amazing that none of these 14 ever cracked the Top 40.  But few can claim the crazy amount of influence on the music industry.  Just look at the post punk late 1990's early 2000's.   Bands like Social Distortion, Green Day, and every other band of that era owes homage to this band.

As far as the band.   Are they good musicans- nope, Thoughtful Songwriters- LMAO- No.  These guys in fact take the 3 chord thing to extreme.  Harmonies are often off key, percussion entirely static with no variation.  They are basically a garage band having fun.    So what makes The Ramones so Iconic?  As I earlier mentioned with AOR, prog, and some sappy singer/songwriters like Neil Young....   Rock Music had entirely starting taking itself too damned serious.  The guys tool the minimalistic approach, added some humours lyrics, decent hooks, and tough leather jacket personal, then soared with it.  Here's another mind boggling stat about the Ramones-  There have been 48 Tribute Albums (from other bands or compliations of bands) issued.

This album is best by far of their catalog, and contains some of their most widely known tunes.  I am not goiing to give commentary on each cut, as there really isn't anything outside what I have already discussed to add.  To the uninitiated, you will find that a lot of their songs sound just alike.  But enjoy the raw energy and fun.       

Instead, I will provide my 5 favorites at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLzDw_1Y97I

1. I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
2. Blitzkrieg Bop
3. 53rd and 3rd
4. Beat on the Brat
5. Judy is a Punk
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:03:50 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #677 on: July 26, 2022, 03:13:44 pm »
Classic Rock Album of the Day-  Z Z Top- Tres' Hombres (1973). ****

Before being asked to give up my Texas Card, I figured I'd better cover one bad ass Rockin' Blues outfit from my home state here.  Z Z Top.
Billy Gibbons absolutely shreds as a rock blues guitarist.  Almost all of their albums are great, but  this one is awesome, and by far my favorite.  Being from here, we ALL were Top fans.  Though Billy steals the show obviously, Frank and Dusty aren't slouches either.

And in this particular LP, there really aren't any weak cuts.  Ranking the middle and lower tier preference of these is a tough task indeed.  Well, here goes.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BNjy4LRWo8

Side 1

Waitin' On the Bus-  Have Mercy!!!!!   Get ya' Brown Paper bag and get ready.....   What a song...  Song comes out like a ditty, and them slams you with harmonica and bad ass blues riffs.  Song is so iconic in Texas.....   And you can't play this one it without blending into.........  (Texas Rock Sacralige) 2

Jesus Just Left Chicago- The boys really put on their old timey blues hats on this one.  Got to wear sunglasses while listening hear folks.  How many times in this review do I get to say "bad ass".  Great blues riffs on this one.  3

Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers-  The Top changes gears and rocks out.  When I hear this one, it conjures bar memories galore.  Juke Boxes wore this one out.  5

Master of Sparks-  ZZ Top's first hand account of some of their youthful craziness.  Somewhat of downshift rocking wise, but not bad at all.  For S & G's, I have added the wikipedia blurb on the song.  What a hoot. 6

"Master of Sparks" is a song by American rock band ZZ Top from their 1973 album Tres Hombres.

The song tells the true story[1] of Billy Gibbons and his friend R.K. Bullock who with a workman, welded together a steel ball cage with a seat and seatbelt fitted inside. They placed the cage into the bed of a truck and at night, after reaching a speed of 60 miles per hour (97 km/h), on Highway 6 near Houston (also known as Jack Rabbit Road), rolled the cage out the back with the hapless narrator and friend taking a ride inside. The cage generated a tail of sparks on the road but in its crushed condition stopped rolling. Still moving at high speed, the now egg shaped cage crashed into a fence. Both occupants survived relatively unscathed and were awarded the title "Master of Sparks" by the cheering crow.

Hot Blue and Righteous - Slow blusey ballad.  Maybe the weakest cut in a fantastic album  Some love it, me....not so much. 10

Side 2-

Move it Down the Line-  Another great rocking tune. This is one freaking consitently good LP.  4

Precious and Grace-  MOR rocker again.  Good, but not their best. 9

LaGrange-  HAW HAW HAW!!!!!!! Ahhh...  the definitive Top tune.  And my favorite by them.  Where's my air guitar, some of Gibbons most compeling blues work too.  Love when he does this live.    Of course, when I first heard this when I was 15, I had no idea this song was about a brothel.  1

Sheik- A little Tejas infusion in this tongue in cheek song about....Yeah being a sheik, and some random mindlessness.  Hey but shit's got rhyme doesn't it.   :cool: 7

Have You Heard-  More standard bluesy fare.  8

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:03:07 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #678 on: July 30, 2022, 03:47:04 pm »
Classic Album of the Day- Kansas- Leftoverture (1976). ****

If I were asked right now, what is the absolute biggest omissions in the so called sham of a rock and roll hall of fame, I would have to overwhelming say that it is the band Kansas.  These guys are top tier talent, and have great songwriting chops too.  The 2 album tandem alone with this one, and subsquent "Point of Know Return" are enough by themselves to enshrine them more than half the sludge that has been wrongly added. 

But what has happened with the Hall, and the limp dicks who review records at Rolling Stone, is unless a band is edgy, highly political, and kisses the brass ring, they will be swept away.  But the fact these dispshits didn't understand is the mid American rock band lover really enjoyed these albums.  In fact these two albums made it to No.'4 and 5 in the album charts during a period when it was highly competitive for the LP Dollar.  Kansas did a great job of mixing a couple of radio friendly tunes like Dust In the Wind and Carry On Wayward Son to appeal to a broad spectra of fans.  These hit were fine, though overplayed, but the real gems were the other tunes, that featured a great amount of mix of rock, classical, and melodic fanfare. 

I  love these two albums equally, but chose Leftoverture, because the arrangement were a littles stronger technically.  This whole band is a treasure trove of excellent musicans.  Technically, they are prog, but they really don't come across that way in essence on the speakers.   Want a good laugh?  Rolling Stone Album Guide gives this LP 2 Stars.   What a joke-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5jom_YYeGU

Side 1-

Carry On Wayward Son-  The song that really put Kansas on the map.  Great anthem.  Have to admit, I tired of hearing back in the day,  It dominated radio airplay in '76-'77.  Walsh's voice is about as strong as it was in their career.   Many of you will likely rank it higher. But..... 4

The Wall-  Love the harpiscordic sounding accompanyment. Not a fan of ballads, but they pull this one off nicely. 6

What's on My Mind- Great guitar interplay on this semi-balladic rocker. Last half of the song really shreds it.  Fine guitar work by Livgren. 3

Miracles Out of Nowhere-  One of the best song on the album, Almost a wind/dust early feel, synth nicely intertwines.  Some of the best violin work on the album too.  Almost a planned blend of the best of all aspects of Kansas.  2

Side 2-

Opus Insert- More excellence.  How many bands can compose a 19th century feeling march into a prog song?  Blended with synth in a beautiful manner.  This is one damned great consisitent album. 5

Questions of My Childhood- My favorite tune on the LP-  Some of the best rock songwriting of the era. How this one did not get more attention and air play was a mystery. 1

Cheyenne Anthem- Maybe the weakest cut on the LP, but still a really good tune. 8

Magnum Opus- 9 minute 6 part, piece.   If you want a musically tour-de-force, all hell breaks out Kansas song....  This is the one.  But IMO not one of the better cuts- 7

Again, if you enjoyed this one, I'd be remiss not suggesting that you listen to this one too.  About equally as good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LepSiqpC6hA
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:02:32 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #679 on: July 30, 2022, 08:03:24 pm »
Have you listened to Kansas album, “Masque”? It’s my favorite. Came out before their commercial success.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #680 on: July 30, 2022, 08:49:54 pm »
Have you listened to Kansas album, “Masque”? It’s my favorite. Came out before their commercial success.

Very very good album.  The technical aspects are there,  but just a tad before their really honed their songwriting skills (IMO...of course)

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #681 on: July 30, 2022, 08:54:06 pm »
Very very good album.  The technical aspects are there,  but just a tad before their really honed their songwriting skills (IMO...of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTEo2yHVTSo
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #682 on: August 05, 2022, 07:12:05 am »
Classic Album of the Day-  The Moody Blues- Seventh Sojourn (1972)  **** 1/2

The Moody Blues never made a bad album.  Especially the 1st 8.  I wanted to share one, and as far as classic status, I feel I had to pick one of three.  This one....Threshold of a Dream, and In Search of the Last Chord.  Album No. 8 here, is maybe the most conistent listenable of the 3.  But please don't ignore the other 3, as they are more spacious  in the absolutely phenomenal lush pyschadelia arrangements. 7th S has a tad better radio persona.  But I guess if you really want to hear some roots of true prog, the Moody Blues were true pioneers.

I have spent many hours bashing the sily ridiculous Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.  Maybe the most heinous of their oversights, was not allowing the Moody blues to join until 2018.  These guys are great song writers, great musicans, and put together a product that truly expound and show the talent of the best of psychedelia.....

So partake of substance of choice, and enjoy a ride of musical excellence......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDvSiJtYQaI

Side 1-

Lost In a Lost World- Strong opening tune from Michael Pinder.  Since it is his tune, you'd know it'd feature some awesome mellotron.  Of course Pinder pioneered the instrument.  And its use help give MB's that lush beautiful sound. 6

New Horizons- Justin Hayward had one of the better voices in all rock in the '60's.  This is a beautiful song, with beautiful content.  3

For My Lady-  Song has a rich nautical feel.  I usuallly don't dig love songs.  But Thomas does a nice job here.  Maybe the most pop oriented song. 5

Isn't Life Strange-  2nd best Cut on LP IMO.  Starts with light strings and flute i too, but explodes into psych- riffing harmonies that scream talent.  The song writing talent in this one can not be understated. 2

Side 2-

You and Me-  Lusicous mellotroned tinged hooked classic. My favorite on the album.  In many ways this is the perfect Moody song.  Perfect harmonies,  every band memeber clicking like a perfect progged machine. Slow rolling Hayward solo at the end?  Ahhh. perfect!!!!!  1

The Land of Make Beleive- More super strong vocalization from Justin Hayward.  Very good tune. 6

When You are a Free Man-  I won't exactly call this filler, but Pinder's addition isn't exactly a great addition to what is this band's best work- 8

I'm Just a Singer In a Rock and Roll Band-  The most recognizable song on the album.  Tune got a lot of air play in the early '70's.  Maybe the most minstream sounding work they ever did too.  From my POV, the piece seems forced and not in their vein or style.  Others migh like it, but a lower tier vs. the other spectacular work on the album.  7
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:02:03 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #683 on: August 06, 2022, 02:52:28 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Blue Oyster Cult- Agents of Fortune (1976). ****

BOC has had a long and solid career, with most of their LP's collectable and listenable.  I feel this one is the strongest and just seems to have this aura of surreal indulgence that marked what was their high water mark as a career.  For me it contains my 1st and 4th favorite BOC tunes , Reaper and ETI.

One thing that also marks BOC, as I noticed them in concert.  They are a very very tight musically sound band.  One of the very best in the hard rock genre. The mix of Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom created magic with one of the last tandems of dueling mixing guitar work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aOKnEAcYzY

Side 1-

This A'int the Summer of Love-  BOC harkens to some of their early '70's type licks on this classic.  Solid Solid, opening to the album- 5

True Confessions- A change of pace, the boys run a perky '60's like rinky tinky piano piece.  Good song, maybe a lower tier, but just goes to show how strong this LP is. 7

(Dont Fear) The Reaper-  BOC's signature song, and my favorite.  In many cases some argue it is terribly overplayed. That may be true, but I never tire of this one. Great great song writing, tight composition, and playing.  Harmonies... Spot on,   Song is probably most famous for the SNL Skit.  MORE COWBELL BABY. 1

ETI (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)- At my first count, I think BOC made at least a half dozen songs about Aliens.  This is the best one by far.  (Honorable Mention- Take Me Away)  Love the guitar work at the end.  Boom!!!!! 2

The Revenge of Vera Gemini- Haunting song that had effective help from Patti Smith. Another of those songs that have than sinister aura that gives BOC that strange appeal. 4

Side 2-

Sinful Love- More of the sinister from the guys.  Many of us '70's guys loved the meme at the time, when dealing with the opposite sex.....   I love You Like Sin, but I won't be your pigeon. This is one good consistent album. 6

Tatoo Vampire- Big Rocking Tune- Band really amps it up on this one. Song plays like a horror movie in the max.  Also realize that women with tattoos in 1976 were non exisistant. Exotic, and scary.  8

Morning Final- Great melodic tune, with some fine songwriting.  Maybe the most underapprecated tune on the LP.  Beautiful guitar work.  Buck at his best. 3

Tenderloin- Weakest cut on the LP.  Nothing of real value. 9 out of 10 sure a'int bad though. 10

Debbie Denise-  BOC wasn't big into ballads, but this one works nicely.  You don't think of band using synths that much, but here they do it nicely in almost a melotron fashion. The same eerie feel, and the albums slams the theme home nicely at the end. When I hear this album, my memores drift significantly.  I pretty much wore this 8 Track up.  7

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:01:23 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #684 on: August 27, 2022, 05:06:31 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  The Car- Candy O (1979). ****

Bands like The Cars, The Police, Elvis Costello, among another put a big dent into the AOR Arena Rock era, that everyone of couse identifies as New Wave.  So we ditched our long hair and Tee shirts for sunglasses and skinny ties for a short manner.  There could be arguments of one of a half dozen bands which were the best, or best reprsented the era.  IMO...  The Cars fit the bill there. 

Picking an album was really really tough between the 1st 2.  And to me they are almost equal in worth.  If you want stylistic splash and the height of their Harmonies, Id go with the debut album.  But for pure song writing skills, I have went with Candy-O.  Here the Orr- Ocasek collaboration seems to click the best.  The album art of including a Playboy artis (Vargas) was a nice touch too.  :cool:

Also of interest is how lopsided by side this LP was.  Side 1 is so overwhelmingly better.  Never understood why the guys didn't mix it up better.  In any case, especially enjoy Side 1, and a trip back to 1979-1980.  And as usual, I have ranked and preferenced my preferences in blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TurGm4aowP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TpQKh18760

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFiid5UkDo

Side 1-

Let's Go- Neuvo Wavo right out the gate-  Start seems much like the '78 gem. Heavy syn, and strong new wave beat.  Huge hit after release. Topping out at No. 14  Orr's voice was never stronger- 3

Since I Held You- Same theme, syncopated rthyms effective.  Vintage Cars, for certain- 4

It's All I can Do.-  My all time favorite Cars tune, and a masterful exercise of song writing- There is a point half way through the song, where there are 4 very specific and intricate melodic lines are blended in, like none I have ever heard before. Absolutely incredible song, and a must have to anyone with a Cars "Play List"- 1

Double Life- Wow, what a followup-   Slow rhtymic melodic roll, when Ocasek's voice beautifully and hauntingly focused at first distal to mic. Harmonies are first rate too.  What a great side 1- 2

Shoo Be Doo-  Synth Gibberish-  Didn't say this album was perfect either- 11

Candy-O - Solid Rocker, that has some traditional rocking licks, while obviously incorporating new wave tinges- 6

Side 2-

Night Spots- Maybe the best song on the weaker album side- Ocasek fare, with some of the better synth and guitar work on the LP- 5

You Can't Hold Too Long-  Weak Filler (next)- 10

Lust for Kicks-  Organ based ditty-  Not bad, Not great either- 8

Alot on My Head-  Chaotic upbeated and unnecsessary-  9

Dangerous Type-  Thankfully the Cars closed with a strong tune.  Nice intertwining of guitar and synth at points in the tune. 7
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:00:47 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #685 on: August 27, 2022, 05:18:17 pm »
Dangerous Type

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #686 on: August 27, 2022, 05:30:34 pm »
Dangerous Type

That’s my favorite song on that album too. And it is my favorite album cover by the Cars or the solo albums of Ben Orr and Ric Okasic

It’s so cool the way “I’ve got a lot on my head” segues into “Dangerous Type”
Sort of like the way “Moving in Stereo” goes into “All Mixed Up” in the debut album

@Hoodat
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 05:33:23 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #687 on: August 27, 2022, 06:11:33 pm »
@Gefn

I went to a dentist once for some oral surgery (bone graft work).  This particular dentist offered his patients headphones to wear and a selection of music to listen to while your teeth were being worked on.  For my visit, they had to put me under, but they offered me the headphones anyway.  I picked a Cars album.  Right after "Since Your Gone" started up, I felt the pin pr*ck on my arm and that warm narcotic feeling flowing to my head.  Less than a minute later, I was out.

Every time I hear that song now, I think of that.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #688 on: September 04, 2022, 04:32:49 am »
Random Saturday Night Musings.....

Remember way back with 8 Tracks when they had difficulty putting complete songs on 4 channels.  Which meant usually at least one song had to pause during the channel change?

Thankfully in most cases, the record company had the sense to do the dirty deed on album filler.

However, there is one instance in which this crime was applied to the band's greatest tune.

To this day, when I hear this,  I can  only visualize/hear the pause when it is played.  What idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSUQ9ANoOE

Any others out there?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #689 on: September 04, 2022, 05:32:40 pm »
Any others out there?

Boston's first album.  'Hitch a Ride' was split between two tracks.  In the video below, there was that sucky pause-click-pause that occurred at the 2:30 mark of this video:

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #690 on: September 04, 2022, 09:12:09 pm »

Any others out there?

@catfish1957

I am not entirely certain anything Pink Floyd put out would qualify as as "Classic Rock",or not. Guess it would all depend on who you were talking with. If it was a time traveler from the 25th Century,he or she would say "Hell,YEAH!"

I already posted this one on another thread,but will post it here again just in case there is someone here who has never heard these awesome vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWZ6hmHj2MA
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2022, 09:44:16 pm »
I started preparing these list in July 1973, then December 1973 and pretty much monthly afterwards for several years....

July 1973
================

1. Alice Cooper Band
2. Uriah Heep
3. Black Sabbath
4. Three Dog Night
5. Grand Funk Railroad
6. Chicago
7. Led Zeppelin
8. Black Oak Arkansas
9. Deep Purple
10. The Guess Who
11. Rare Earth
12. Allman Brothers Band
13. Rolling Stones
14. Yes
15. Eric Clapton
16. The Who
17. Jethro Tull
18. J. Geils Band
19. Elton John
20. Edgar Winter Group

Albums bought:

Uriah Heep- Live
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
================================

The Live ABC "In Concert" event really blew me away with that era of Alice Cooper.  For those into history, You Tube- "Elected" for one of what I consider one of the earliest Music Videos of that format.  Not that I disliked the "hippy formula" that worked in rock for more than 5 years butt.......   Hearing acts like Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath seemed ground breaking and refreshing

@catfish1957

BTW,you can count me as being a MAJOR "Uriah Heep" fan. Probably saw them in concert more than anyone else. Bought their first album while in college,and saw them on their first tour. Incredible musicians and song writers!

Online LMAO

« Reply #692 on: September 04, 2022, 10:01:15 pm »
Random Saturday Night Musings.....

Remember way back with 8 Tracks when they had difficulty putting complete songs on 4 channels.  Which meant usually at least one song had to pause during the channel change?

Thankfully in most cases, the record company had the sense to do the dirty deed on album filler.

However, there is one instance in which this crime was applied to the band's greatest tune.

To this day, when I hear this,  I can  only visualize/hear the pause when it is played.  What idiots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKSUQ9ANoOE

Any others out there?

I had BTO’s Greatest Hits and it did that on the song “ Hey You.”

On Kiss Rock and Roll over it did this on “ Ladies Room.”
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online LMAO

« Reply #693 on: September 04, 2022, 11:53:26 pm »

Ahh, my first Kansas album

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kesio4k-dMU
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Online LMAO

« Reply #694 on: September 04, 2022, 11:56:06 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  The Car- Candy O (1979)

Bands like The Cars, The Police, Elvis Costello, among another put a big dent into the AOR Arena Rock era, that everyone of couse identifies as New Wave.  So we ditched our long hair and Tee shirts for sunglasses and skinny ties for a short manner.  There could be arguments of one of a half dozen bands which were the best, or best reprsented the era.  IMO...  The Cars fit the bill there. 

Picking an album was really really tough between the 1st 2.  And to me they are almost equal in worth.  If you want stylistic splash and the height of their Harmonies, Id go with the debut album.  But for pure song writing skills, I have went with Candy-O.  Here the Orr- Ocasek collaboration seems to click the best.  The album art of including a Playboy artis (Vargas) was a nice touch too.  :cool:

Also of interest is how lopsided by side this LP was.  Side 1 is so overwhelmingly better.  Never understood why the guys didn't mix it up better.  In any case, especially enjoy Side 1, and a trip back to 1979-1980.  And as usual, I have ranked and preferenced my preferences in blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TurGm4aowP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TpQKh18760

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEFiid5UkDo

Side 1-

Let's Go- Neuvo Wavo right out the gate-  Start seems much like the '78 gem. Heavy syn, and strong new wave beat.  Huge hit after release. Topping out at No. 14  Orr's voice was never stronger- 3

Since I Held You- Same theme, syncopated rthyms effective.  Vintage Cars, for certain- 4

It's All I can Do.-  My all time favorite Cars tune, and a masterful exercise of song writing- There is a point half way through the song, where there are 4 very specific and intricate melodic lines are blended in, like none I have ever heard before. Absolutely incredible song, and a must have to anyone with a Cars "Play List"- 1

Double Life- Wow, what a followup-   Slow rhtymic melodic roll, when Ocasek's voice beautifully and hauntingly focused at first distal to mic. Harmonies are first rate too.  What a great side 1- 2

Shoo Be Doo-  Synth Gibberish-  Didn't say this album was perfect either- 11

Candy-O - Solid Rocker, that has some traditional rocking licks, while obviously incorporating new wave tinges- 6

Side 2-

Night Spots- Maybe the best song on the weaker album side- Ocasek fare, with some of the better synth and guitar work on the LP- 5

You Can't Hold Too Long-  Weak Filler (next)- 10

Lust for Kicks-  Organ based ditty-  Not bad, Not great either- 8

Alot on My Head-  Chaotic upbeated and unnecsessary-  9

Dangerous Type-  Thankfully the Cars closed with a strong tune.  Nice intertwining of guitar and synth at points in the tune. 7

I bought this album in the summer of 1980 and probably worn out my needle on my record player on it

Barry Goldwater

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #695 on: September 04, 2022, 11:58:01 pm »
Ahh, my first Kansas album

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kesio4k-dMU

I remember buying Point of No Return for my first and only Kansas album
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #696 on: September 05, 2022, 03:23:29 am »
@catfish1957

BTW,you can count me as being a MAJOR "Uriah Heep" fan. Probably saw them in concert more than anyone else. Bought their first album while in college,and saw them on their first tour. Incredible musicians and song writers!

Great early '70's band. Somehow,even through the volume of concerts I attended, I somehow missed them.  Thinking about, def.  need to give some props to this highly talented, but almost forgotten band.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #697 on: September 05, 2022, 03:58:12 am »
Classic Album of Day-  Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards (1972)  ***

Uriah Heep was huge back in the early 1970's.   And many ways maybe had the greatest hooks of the era.  Picking their best album was easy.  Demons and Wizards surpasses anything else they recorded.  But still a nod to Magicians Birthday, which ws releasd later in the yer in 1972.  UH never really charted high, but had a large and loyal following that ripped the the 1970's with some really good Rock and Roll.  Maybe the one detraction to UH, was the lineup changes which by the mid '80's had taken its toll on the sound and mostly song writing.  What really killed them was the loss of Ken Hensley who wrote the majority of their '70's classics.  They also Spinal Tapped at the drums.  6 different drummers during their life of a band.

Here are the really good cuts on what is a very fine consistent album.   Ranked in blue.

1. The Wizard-  Beautiful acoustical, following by great work.  Band clicked nicely, and along with Sweet Lorraine, from Magicians Birthday, my favorites by the band.  Main memory of the song was listening to it on Beaker Street late at night.   They were a solid staple of anybody's band list during the time.

2. Circle of Hands-  Very lush Hammond work with great songwriting too.  Byron's vocals are maybe some of the best he does on this cut.

3. Easy Livin'-  This one got the most airplay on the LP.  Good stuff.

4. Traveler in Time-  Band sticks with the mystical theme, it what could be considered their best effort toward a concept LP. 

The other 5 tuners aren't exactly filler, but when you see what this band did with Side 1 on this work, they had cemented themsleves outside of back up band status for  most of the decade of the 1970's.  In any case, if you are a classic rock afficando, this one is an almost "have to have"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjTHfKjNI7g&t=703s

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:59:50 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #698 on: September 05, 2022, 04:11:31 am »
@catfish1957

I am not entirely certain anything Pink Floyd put out would qualify as as "Classic Rock",or not. Guess it would all depend on who you were talking with. If it was a time traveler from the 25th Century,he or she would say "Hell,YEAH!"

I already posted this one on another thread,but will post it here again just in case there is someone here who has never heard these awesome vocals.

Like I have said at least 3 or 4 times on this thread,  I as a musician, consider 4 bands as the ultimate creme'ed le' creme as far as musicianship.  This claim on my part does not necessarily mean they are the greatest bands...   but...

An argument could be made for any of these 4 bands (in no certain order)  ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes.

My favorite Pink Floyd tune is one of their newer ones.  It is powerful, beautiful, and almost mesmerizing.  Gilmour's solo is almost hypnotic in its delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMy34qhQe4

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #699 on: September 05, 2022, 05:32:08 am »
Like I have said at least 3 or 4 times on this thread,  I as a musician, consider 4 bands as the ultimate creme'ed le' creme as far as musicianship.  This claim on my part does not necessarily mean they are the greatest bands...   but...

An argument could be made for any of these 4 bands (in no certain order)  ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd, Yes.

My favorite Pink Floyd tune is one of their newer ones.  It is powerful, beautiful, and almost mesmerizing.  Gilmour's solo is almost hypnotic in its delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEMy34qhQe4

@catfish1957

The ONLY think I don't like about PF is that in MY NSHO,the backup musicians just don't get the recognition they deserve. This is especially true of the drummers. "Awesome" is NOT too strong a word to use.

Then again,with Gilmore out there fronting them with such awesome keyboard and guitar work,it would be hard for any other  individual to get noticed.

BTW,I have a standing offer to pay Gilmore 100 bucks for that old,worn-out red guitar. Given how hard it has been ridden and then put up wet,not to mention strained,stretched,and strummed to the limits,you know by now all you could get out of it would be a cough when you take it out of the case,and a request for a cigarette.

Think 100 bucks is too generous and he hasn't answered because he thinks it might be a scam?