Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 118282 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #650 on: July 20, 2022, 03:48:58 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Yes- The Yes Album  (1971)  *****

This is the abum that introduced me to Prog.  And is arguably the most influental LP in the genre's history.  Masterpiece musicanship that clicked in an uncanny manner.  Where prog was previously  stodgy, spacey, and Pink Floydish before.  Yes, introduced a more melodic classical vibe that though not as classically structured as ELP, made it much more listenbable.  In choosing a Yes album, it was between this one and Fragile.  Both are outstanding, but I went with this one becuase of it's groundbreaking status.

I ask you to truly focus on the bass work of Squire.  This is a standard and benchmark of musicanship that so perfectly jives with Howe's fret work, what maestros there were, and at such a young age. Don't forget, this is pre-Wakeman.  Not that Tony Kaye was no slouch, he wasn't, but I do have to admit that Wakeman's wizardry does add a special dimension to future albums.

As usually cuts are ranked in blue of my preference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y6oPS4aLk8

Side 1
-------

Yours is No Disgrace-  Yes comes out rocking big time in the first cut.  This song and Roundabout are what I call the ultimate Squire Bass lines.  His bass work slaps you in the face like a 2x4. What a great band.-3

The Clap- Howe accoustal ditty that pretty much is not my thing.  Yeah, he's a great guitar player, but this is not what people want to hear from Yes.-6

Starship Trooper- (Subsetted into 3 parts- Life Seeker, Disillusion, Wurm)  Best stongwriting on the Album.  Best compliation of showcasing all band members talents.  Last 4 minutes, (Wurm) does a nice cressendoingly explosion of work that speaks volumes of how the talent of this band gels. -2

Side 2
----------

I've Seen All Good People- (Subsetted into Your Move and All Good People)- Greatest cut, and easily most recognizable from airplay.  First half of song, has great melodic play from Jon Anderson.  Spectaular.  Latter, ups the rocking angle, and ends with a unique fantastic gradual organ drenched chromatic chorus step down at the end, that is truly trademarked to Yes.  It doesn't get much better than this- 1

A Venture- I admit that Anderson is not my favorite songwriter/maker in the Band, and this one has his fingers all over it.  Not exactly filler, but a reversion to some of their earlier less stellar work.-5

Perpetual Change-  A favorite in the Yes catalog among many.  And a great finale to a great album.  Bruford's best effort in percussion, really adds to this tune that weaves in and out complexity and tenor.  The fact I see this as the 4th best song on this  album, is true testament of its greatness  -4

There is no doubt, that Prog and the likes of Dream Theatre among others would not exist with this album.  It is an icon.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:06:11 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #651 on: July 20, 2022, 06:42:54 pm »
Where prog was previously  stodgy, spacey, and Pink Floydish before.

You think Pink Flold was stodgy and spacey,and that Yes was better?

You need to get your meds checked.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #652 on: July 20, 2022, 07:09:50 pm »
You think Pink Flold was stodgy and spacey,and that Yes was better?

You need to get your meds checked.

Wow, sorry that you are so much a classic rock expert than I am.   :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #653 on: July 20, 2022, 07:17:24 pm »
Wow, sorry that you are so much a classic rock expert than I am.   :silly:

@catfish1957

I am no expert,and neither are you. I just know that I enjoyed all the Yes music I listened to when it was new,and am STILL enjoying PF. PF is timeless.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #654 on: July 20, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »
@catfish1957

I am no expert,and neither are you. I just know that I enjoyed all the Yes music I listened to when it was new,and am STILL enjoying PF. PF is timeless.

Well, bud, how about an objective narrative about even one album, how about it?  Didn't think so.

Are you even a musician?  I play 11 instruments, and was in my university marching band for 4 years.

Pffffff...   I gave half a thought about reviewing DSOTM, but f 'em.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:38:21 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #655 on: July 20, 2022, 07:38:59 pm »

Well, bud, how about an objective narrative about even one album, how about it?  Didn't think so.

Pffffff...   I gave half a thought about reviewing DSOTM, but f 'em.

@catfish1957

Yeah,just like YOU are going to be "objective".

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #656 on: July 20, 2022, 07:41:08 pm »
@catfish1957

From my POV, and understanding as a musician.....yeah.

You haven't given a definitive review of anything. Let' hear one. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #657 on: July 20, 2022, 07:42:26 pm »
From my POV, yeah.

You haven't given a definitive review of anything. Let' hear one.

@catfish1957

I have to wait until I get get an injection of "pompous".

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #658 on: July 20, 2022, 07:44:29 pm »
@catfish1957

Let's hear one...   DSTOM?  Meddle?,  Animals?, The Wall?   

Go through their merits, cut by cut.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #659 on: July 20, 2022, 07:46:55 pm »
Seriously?  The two of you are going to get your panties in a mutual twist over Pink Floyd vs. Yes?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 07:49:02 pm by Kamaji »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #660 on: July 20, 2022, 08:03:06 pm »
Seriously?  The two of you are going to get your panties in a mutual twist over Pink Floyd vs. Yes?

Asking if I got my meds checked just becuase I gave a sepcific contrast of timing and style change within  the band.  The point was not even to insult PF.  It was to highlight the artistic growth of Yes, and how it impacted the Prog Genre.  I can't help that he doesn't understand that.

For some reason he thinks the Classic Rock world revolves around PF.  Wierd if you ask me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #661 on: July 20, 2022, 08:09:38 pm »
Let's hear one...   DSTOM?  Meddle?,  Animals?, The Wall?   

Go through their merits, cut by cut.

@catfish1957

I am going to let you in on a little secret,bubba. Music is subjective,and only pompous fools proclaim something like "THAT album is stodgy,etc,etc,etc,compared to MY favorite."

I do know this to be true. I hear PF songs played all the time on the radio,and rarely hear anything by Yes.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #662 on: July 20, 2022, 08:10:24 pm »
C'mon guys ....

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #663 on: July 20, 2022, 08:19:45 pm »
@catfish1957

I am going to let you in on a little secret,bubba. Music is subjective,and only pompous fools proclaim something like "THAT album is stodgy,etc,etc,etc,compared to MY favorite."

Okay, let's hear a substantive "subjective" analysis  a Pink Floyd Album.....    Track by track.   There's 15 to pick from.  Love to hear your opinion.  That's a better approach than wildly flailing at me, slamming my opinion

Also check the very early posts of this thread.  I always said that music was subject to tastes, and there was  no such thing as best or even better.  To some people even rap qualiies as music.

I do know this to be true. I hear PF songs played all the time on the radio,and rarely hear anything by Yes.

True, but Rush gets twice the air play on classic radio that Pink Floyd gets.  Does that make them better?  (False premise)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 08:57:18 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2022, 08:24:00 pm »
C'mon guys ....

I love debate around music.  In 1974 my best friend and I had a knock down, drag out one around better guitarist.......Jimmy Page vs. Ritchie Blackmore.

I made him so mad, he busted his Led Zeppelin III LP.  :cool:

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #665 on: July 20, 2022, 08:27:55 pm »
I love debate around music.  In 1974 my best friend and I had a knock down, drag out one around better guitarist.......Jimmy Page vs. Ritchie Blackmore.

I made him so mad, he busted his Led Zeppelin III LP.  :cool:

Fair enough!

My very undereducated take on it is this:  Pink Floyd is awesome, and have some unique strengths, but Yes was the more complex of the two and also has its own strengths viz Pink Floyd.

I love listening to both, although not always in the same mood or frame of mind.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #666 on: July 20, 2022, 09:27:57 pm »
Pink Floyd may or may not be better than Yes, but I could never get into them.

OTOH, I really liked Yes, and their 80's stuff over the 70's. They have an almost forgotten album Big Generator that came out my college freshman year. Shoot High Aim Low is one of my all time favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER_nbf-fKRk
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #667 on: July 20, 2022, 09:33:16 pm »

OTOH, I really liked Yes, and their 80's stuff over the 70's. They have an almost forgotten album Big Generator that came out my college freshman year. Shoot High Aim Low is one of my all time favorite songs.

@Free Vulcan

As always with the arts,it is subjective. It is even possible to like one group the most one day,and another group more the next day.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #668 on: July 20, 2022, 09:36:03 pm »
@Free Vulcan

As always with the arts,it is subjective. It is even possible to like one group the most one day,and another group more the next day.

And you know, PF is an excellent talented band with iconic songs. But there are just some bands where you just can't catch the vibe. I don't down them, just let others enjoy them.  :beer:
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #669 on: July 20, 2022, 09:43:26 pm »

Fantastic tune, and my favorite on the album too.  I consider 90125 and Big Generator as the "Trevor Rabin" era, as he composed most of their best music of this timeframe with Yes. 

Rabin has continued with great fame, more for soundtrack work.  He is maybe most known for the NBA theme, and one of my favorite soundtracks, National Treasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbs9C4vgayY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9HGRnfzZdE

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #670 on: July 20, 2022, 09:50:26 pm »
And you know, PF is an excellent talented band with iconic songs. But there are just some bands where you just can't catch the vibe. I don't down them, just let others enjoy them.  :beer:

@Free Vulcan

Exactly. I would rather be beaten with a whip than forced to listen to punk rock. I know,or at least knew,people who LOVED punk rock,and can't even begin to guess why.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #671 on: July 21, 2022, 02:08:04 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys (1969). *****

If you take the factor of longevity out of the equation, there can be a strong argument made that Creedence Clearwater Revivial may be the  greatest American rock band in history.  Try listening more than any 15 minute periode from 1968-1970, and  not hear at least one of their massive hits.  In that short period of time they charted 19 singles, and 5 of their 6 (7) albums chartedd in the Top 10.  (Mardi Gras shouldn't count as it made the list on CCR name alone, and was not of their usual quality)

Picking one as an example was really tough. Any of the middle 5 of their catalog would have sufficed, I chose Willy and the Poor Boys, for the fact it has two of my favorite CCR tunes, "Down on the Corner" and "Fortunate Son".  OTOH, if any of you countered with Cosmos Factory, or Green River, you'd be just as right. As one detractor here says....   Musical taste is subjective, and I have always agreed, and always will.   Any preference to any music, is up to the listener.   This is just one's reiviewers opinion.

But there is one negative aspect of CCR, that I have a serious beef about......   In fact I have covered a number of times on this thread...   It is what I call the Creedence Effect.  For a band with such a short life...   3 years and 7 albums ostensibly.  How can its legacy be so abused that it results in 41 compliation albums.  With that, I have lost a huge amount of respect for John Fogerty, and what he has done to CCR's name in that respect.

But, there is no question, no band incorporated traditonal blues, country, and great harmonies with as much as CCR  No great musicanship here, just great simple tunes that many ways defined an era.  Great songwriting, and a muscial signpost of what this era of life was like.  It's hard not to smile while listening to a CCR album.  Again,  track ranking (IMO) in blue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEBRtHAYA7c

Side 1

Down on the Corner- Try not to tap your toes to this simple but classic hit.  John Fogerty's voice was never stronger.  The harmomies just click into what may be the ultimate late 60's party song.  Love the street band imagery. 2

It Came of the Sky-   Hilarious parody of the UFO thing.  Nice rockabillly tune, and some of the best Fogerty guitar work on the LP.  A lot of back slided politcal commentary of the day included. Though that theme was much more evident later in the album with Fortunate Son. 7

Cotton Fields- Hugely popular old Leadbelly blues covered song, that was mostly by country acts.  CCR did it nicely too.   Little back story on this one.  As a TX/LA kid who was obsessed with attention to detail, it used to piss me off that people would  sing about a ficticious place.   There was no where in Louisana that was a mile from Texarkana. OH well....   8

Poorboy Shuffle =  Short instrumental of a harmonica/washboard ditty that augments well with the theme of the album.  6

Feelin' Blue- This tune is one of the reasons I chose this album to review.  Terribly underplayed and underappreciated in their catalog.  Very soulful blusey tune that IMO focused more on content that commerical appeal. 3

Side 2

Fortunate Son-  Forrest Gump effectively included this tune in its soundtrack.  Song was pure and true in its nature that Vietnam war was not equitable in choosing its particpants.  Great rocking song.  My favorite by this great band. 1

Don't Look Now-  Elvis-ish rock-a-billy attempt.  Maybe the weakest cut on the LP. 10

Midnight Special-  Oft covered song, that CCR does very well.  Stuff like this why Creedence was always listenable.  Consistence. 5

Side of the Road-  Instrumental giving John Fogerty a forum with his best solo work on the LP.  Always wondered how Fogerty would do if he had taken an SRV approach in his solo career and focused on blues alone. 9

Effigy- Another hidden gem not covered normally in CCR playlists. This song almost has a "Hey Joe" Hendrix feel to it.   Very simple, short but eery lyrics.  I think they are worth covering in this era. 4

Verse 1- 
Last night
I saw a fire burning on
The palace lawn
O'er the land
The humble subjects watched in mixed
Emotion

Verse 2-
Last night
I saw the fire spreading to
The palace door
Silent majority
Weren't keeping quiet
Anymore

Verse 3-

Last night
I saw the fire spreading to
The country side
In the morning
Few were left to watch
The ashes die

CCR's legacy  has gotten kind of lost through time.  But there was no doubting their impact.  Try to imagine Modern Country music without the roots of Creedence and the early Eagles.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:05:15 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #672 on: July 21, 2022, 02:39:32 pm »
Bands like CCR, Skynyrd, etc., are as much culture as they are music.

Penthouse Pauper is another little hidden gem of theirs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:40:59 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #673 on: July 22, 2022, 06:06:26 pm »
Wife gave me a ... record player. Damn kids and your new fangled contraptions. In my day music was digital dag nabbit! Songs cost what Steve Jobs said they cost dammit!

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #674 on: July 22, 2022, 06:54:16 pm »
Classic  Album of the Day-  Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies (1973)  ****

I have made the fact pretty well known that I felt that rock had gotten very formula, predictable, and overwrought with hippy, flowery, groovy bands.  What the Beatles had created with Sgt. Peppers/Magical Mystery Tour had degraded into things like Strawberry Alarm Clock and other like tepid bands.

That is why I guy like me about 13-15 in the early '70's pretty much laughed off the worn out psychadelic stuff that was hitting up to then.  When Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper hit (near the same time) in 1970, it sounded like nothing else.  It was hard, it was edgy, and best of all it is was the antithesis of flower power.  Evil, and decadent blasting at 110 decibels was cool.  We went from peace signs to the welcome theatrics of biting off the heads of bats and chickens.   And theatrics it was.  We all knew it.  And it was a welcome blast of cool air.

Alice Cooper, who is the original shock rocker cannot be underestimated in impact.  Without him, there would be no Kiss, Gwar, Nine Inch Nails, among others.   His original band were good, but not outstanding musicans.  But they did have the "hook" skills, and decent songwriting prowess.  What really set Alice apart though was the theatrics.  A show of his was a journey into the macbre.  He effectively augmented his songs into skits and effects that used guillontones, snakes, gallows, and other wild elaborate effects.  I first learned about AC on KAAY Beaker Street in about '71.  Ballad of Dwight Frye was a big staple on their late night fare.  I got my first acutal look at his show on the inaugural "In Concert" Series that ABC ran back in the day......  Suprisingly, a copy of that  show is available on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4Cmxv2ifs

Was an easy decison choosing an AC album.  Was released at the height of his popularity, and especially contains maybe his two best songs.....   Choice has  to be Billion Dollar Babies....   Honorable Mention Killer and School's Out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niASoCvp_Iw

Side 1-

Hello Hooray-  My favorite AC tune.  There is a reason he used this one opening so so many of his shows......   Fine songwriting.  Natural tune to set the tone.  Final minute has a beautiful intertwined mellotron and chime included with a wide array of background blended guitar gives me shivers, a minute of beauty in an overall tour of decadence. 1

Raped and Freezin' - Think a song about rape could get played in 2022?  Good song that has some fine guitar work.  I remember reading long ago, that some of it was by session men since regulatory guitarist Glen Buxton, was mostly on a drug bender during recording. Song uses nice effect with horns and Mexican touches.  Them of song is uh....   what can happen when the sexual tables are turned.- 5

Elected-  Wow, this one rocks, basically paraodying our electoral processes.  Hey McGovern was running....  why not. More great infusion of horns.  This song may have generated maybe the first rock video of all time too.  2

Billion Dollar Babies- AC's foray into the mental.  On stage he would rips dolls heads off in effigy.  Song itself has some of the best instrumental work.  6

Unfinished Sweet-  From POV, this is one of the band's strangest tunes of all.  Song is basically a ditty on a dental visit. If you hate going to the dentist, you might want to skip.  Band does a nice job of blending styles, even Spagetti Western flares. 7

Side 2-

No More Mr. Nice Guy-  This was the biggest hit on the album  Very sound representiave tune.  Used strongly on stage presence to further the AC persona.  Is this Alice Cooper or is this Vincent Furnier?  I think this was a backhanded effort on his part to say sometimes in real life it is tough for folks to understand that this was an act.  4

Generation Landslide-  AC's foray into describing a Dystopian future where genetic children rise and take hold of the future.  Such a good tune too.  I have to say that this album is one of the most even and consitently good albums in the early '70's.  At least through these first 7.  Then decline is dramatic. 3

Sick Things-  The band now starts, and following 2 subsequent tracks starts  delving into the darkness they like to portray in their stage act.  This is the best of the 3.  Very innovative use of tempo, chordal progression.  8

Mary Ann-  If there was ever filler this in the one.  Kind of a Scott Joplin like piano romper that alludes that Mary Ann is a Man and an object of affection. 10

I Love the Dead-  Fizzling at the end sadly,   Band used it as a theme of necrophilia,  In 1973, when you are pushing the edge of shock for attention , I can see their intent.  But almost 50 years later, it comes across downright silly. Little or no musical value either - 9

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:04:36 pm by catfish1957 »