Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 118104 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2022, 07:35:48 pm »
Bob Seger - 1975, Live
Traveling Man / Beautiful Loser

@bob Seeger,the man that saved the world from the clutches of Disco.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #626 on: April 21, 2022, 07:39:33 pm »
@bob Seeger,the man that saved the world from the clutches of Disco.

I never appreciated Bob Seeger until about three years ago.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #627 on: April 21, 2022, 07:55:42 pm »

@Gefn

The first time I ever heard his music was in VN in late 68. Another soldier from Detroit had a tape of one of his concerts.

It was his "Against the Wind" album that came out on 76 that was the death of disco,and the return of real music.

He dropped out of the music biz at one point to be home to raise his children,and released a new album maybe a year or so ago. IIRC,it didn't do very well,but I don't know why. I only heard a part of one song on the radio,and that was it.

Maybe it was because he didn't have a big record company behind him pushing it,and he had been out of music for so long there was virtually a whole generation that didn't know who he was?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #628 on: April 21, 2022, 08:02:10 pm »

As far as Michigan musicians go, I still prefer Ted Nugent and Iggy Pop.

Cry For Love (1986)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #629 on: May 01, 2022, 03:58:04 pm »
Somehow this one got by me 30 years ago.  Fantastic tune, with pretty much a reunion of new and old Yes personnel. 

Double props to Howe for letting Rabin take the lead guitar on this fine song.  Talent at this level, has got to have some ego clashing issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzD4m17exRA
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 12:57:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #630 on: May 10, 2022, 08:05:21 am »
This sucks!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #631 on: June 05, 2022, 05:10:03 am »
Classic Album of the Day-  Rush-2112. (1976) *****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPpQWyMjQ-s

There is no argument that Rush did not invent Prog Music.  However, in 1976 this trio of Canadians maybe gave the genre is most powerful redefinition in said genre's history.  Rush in their 1st 2  albums pretty much went with a Zep formula of hard rock tunes that provided some minor hits and a strong but finite following. In album No. 3 (early 1976 Caress of Steel) they jumped into the progressive forum but with dismal critical and commercial success.  Even us most ardent Rush fans have to admit that there is a hard and uneven  feel to the sound.  It seemed to channel Yes, but was forced and IMO mostly unlistenable (with a few exceptions).  BUT....  the seeds were planted of future greatness.

Rush documentaries have stated that this bomb put the band on notice, and that the next one would be a make or break LP.  The band thumbed their nose at the record companies, and under pressure created this masterpiece.  This album's legacy is remarkable, and in almost every compliation of greatest Prog albums of all time......   This one makes their Top 10 List.

Side 1-  2112- A 7 part (20 minute) masterpiece that Neil Peart composed lyrics from aspiration of Ayn Rand's Fountain Head and Anthem.  The song's theme is around a dystopian society that dictates all thought and actions of their minions.  A group of hierarchal Priests (The Solar Federation) control society, and expect the population to bow and obey.  The hero of the story accidentaly finds himself in something like a cave, and then finds an ancient  guitar.  He randomly strums, then tunes the device and suddenly gets excited with sounds it makes as music.  In his excitement he brings it to the attention of the Priests who poo-poo the concept as useless relics of an earlier era.  Our hero gets despondent, and it is perceived that this has triggerd a revolt.  The Solar Federation puts the thumb down on the insurgents, and extol at the end after the attack.....  THAT THEY ARE IN CONTROL......

Even back then I had a strong political bent, I considered this more like a Sci-Fi story than an important message.  2112 today has so much more meaning and value to us than ever.  The dystopia that Peart/ Rand warn are closer than we think.  Granted Peart softened his Libertarain stances later in life, after decades of left shaming from the communist music industry, and his own personal tragedies.

Musically, 2112 has such a extreme different sound that doesn't even remotely resemble the 1st three albums.  All 3 members hone their skills and are at least twice as good muscially on every angle.  This was also the point that Mr. Peart started getting noticed for his percussion prowess, and among the best at his trade.  Geddy Lee's voice seemed fuller and less shrill.  He no longer wanted to be a Robert Plant clone, and brought rangeand tone that augmented the music beautifully.  All 3 members are jaw dropping fabulous in working the tunes in a powerful manner.  If you have never listened to this album....  Do yourself a favor and at least listen to Side 1.

Side 2-

Where Side 1 was in Full Concept Mode, Side 2 focused on more traditonal fare.

Passage to Bangkok-  Rush had 19 albums, and this one single tune is the only one that was drug themed over that 40 year period.  Great  Lifeson solo at the end.  A fan favorite of the 420 set. 

The Twilight Zone-  Geddy  goes high octave on the band's tribute to this classic TV show.  Maybe the weakest tune on the LP,  but still a decent song.

Lessons-  Besides 2112, my favorite cut from the LP.  Beautiful chordal progressions, intertwined with alternating heavy riffs.  Peart's least complex part on the LP.  But the way Lee/Lifeson blend their parts?  Fantastic.  I know other Rush fans like this tune less, but in my book...   A pure gem.

Tears-  Was blown away how two consecutive songs so beautiful could be so different on a melodic level..  From Uplifting to meloncolly on the turn of a dime.  This is one of very few of what I would call "rock ballads" in Rush's extensive catalog.

Something For Nothing-  Just to make sure prior Rush fans were made happy, this tune was included.  It's style would make you swear it came from "Fly By Night". IMO- 3rd best song on the LP.  A very rocking tune, and an add to many Rush concert play lists in the late '70's.

The band always called this album their piviotal turning point in their career.  No longer did they have to bend to the whims of record company executives, and now had full artistic control over their musical content.  Without 2112 there would not be no Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, or Farwell to Kings.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:12:52 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #632 on: June 06, 2022, 06:58:06 am »
Classic Album of the Day- Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band- Against the Wind. (1980) ****

Tonight's 1980 gem is from legendary rocker Bob Seger.  There are more critically acclaimed LP's in the Seger catalog, but apparently many many fans including me found this to be his best masterpiece. Seger had better songs in his career, but the deal with this album is that there is not one single bad track on the entire album.  This IMO may be the best consistently good album in rock history.  Absolutely No filler!!!!  Themes of blantant bar room rocking to deep self reflection and thought hit the listener like a 2 X 4.   For those interested, I have done the tough task of ranking the tracks as well
.  In red.

Side 1

The Horizontal Bop- 1st Bar Boogie Boogie kind of rocker that harkens  back to some of Seger's '60's sound.  Not cerebral like other tunes on the LP, but great foot tapping stuff. 10

You'll Accompany Me-  Big Hit charting #.14 nationally.  Great Ballad, hitting on all cylinders around relational risk.  Song of hope and love.  Maybe the most souful voicing too 3

Her Strut-  Hardest rocking tune on the album.  Love the bass/ rhythm line on this one.  Back to non-cerebral and bar room style  Seeing the trend?  I don't think Bob Seger meant for it to be an accident. 8

No Man's Land- My favorite song on the LP.  Seger is a poet laureate in this tour de force of verbal imagery and metaphorical beauty of describing the difficulty of making life changing decisons. On Side 2- Fire Lake does the same exact thing around the topic of death.  Both these sngs throw me into deep thought when I hear them.  1

Long Twin Silver Line-  Back to Boogie-boogie.  A Seger screaming tune kind of hinter to his early 70's stuff.  You are through with side 1, and have already a half an album knowing you are listening to an epic classic.  7

Side 2-

Against the Wind-  Title track, and maybe the most recognizable tune on the album.  heartful reminisicing, and having to deal with adversity. Song charted #5.  Not my favorite on then LP,   but obviously super sound nice tune- 5

Good For Me-  Wow...  Easy in my top 5 Seger picks-  Soulful innovative approach bringing style of a black church choir.  Powerful Love song to say the least. 4

Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight-  '50's style boogie that sounds like something Jerry Lee Lewis would croon.  Mindless stuff, but who cares, it rocks.  Again Seger keeps the listener on their toes by alternating the themes between feast for the mind and feet.  This what helps makes this album special.  9

Fire Lake-  Metaphorically painting a picture of death.  Not sure Seger really intended Fire Lake to include the fire of hell.  I sure don't want to play those 8's and Aces.......  Great great tune.  2

Shining Bright-  Seger ends the album on beatifully positive upbeat note.  Maybe covering so much death and despair made him guilty....   :cool: 6

In any case, back in the day when you were young, the $6 bucks you spent on an album was a pretty expensive investment of a kid's entertainment $.  I sure as hell thought I got my money's worth on this one
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:12:27 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #633 on: June 06, 2022, 07:13:18 am »
@catfish1957

It's "boogie",not "boogle",and "boggie woggie",not "boogle woogle".

In fact,this is the first time in my life I have ever seen/heard of boogle and boogle woogle.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #634 on: June 06, 2022, 11:38:34 am »
@catfish1957

It's "boogie",not "boogle",and "boggie woggie",not "boogle woogle".

In fact,this is the first time in my life I have ever seen/heard of boogle and boogle woogle.

I'll pan your late night typos too, next time.   Boggie Woggie not boogle woogle?   Nice try....   :silly:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 11:42:12 am by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #635 on: June 07, 2022, 12:58:40 am »
RUSH  -  The Necromancer (final 4 min)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #636 on: June 07, 2022, 01:14:16 am »
RUSH  -  The Best I Can

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2022, 01:20:38 am »
RUSH  -  A Farewell to Kings

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #638 on: June 07, 2022, 02:58:32 am »
RUSH  -  A Farewell to Kings

Farewell To Kings is an absolute classic.  I had a dorm roomate who played Xanadu almost 24/7 for an entire semester.  That overplay haunts me to this day.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 12:23:23 am by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2022, 03:59:56 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  AC-DC- Back in Black  (1980). ****

(Parental Warning- With AC DC there will always be explicit, graphic and extreme refereneces to sex, drugs, and rock and roll)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-fR2rrmw3I

First a preface.  I have never said that AC-DC were prime musicans, and I readily admit prefering talented prog-acts.  OTOH, listening to this band is nothing but joy.  Yeah, they loud woofer thumping 3 chord progressions, but they are don't in such a innovative way, I do have to say that this IS the ULTIMATE party band.  They ever rock and how.

Back in Black is pretty much accepted has their best work.  Both by critics and fandom  What is so mindblowing, is that this work was done in what have great grief.  Almost no one would have predicted that after losing your great singer to death, that 3 months later this level of work could be created.  I personally believed they were inspired by Bon Scott's channelled ghost.  What this and many other classics I like to cover in my exercise here, are those that are consisent through out, with little or no filler.  Back in Black certainly meets that criteria.  Kudos to newcomer Brian Johnson, who didn't miss a beat with band, and help give a different edge to the band's sound for what would become decades.   This IMO is one of the greatest hard rock albums ever made. And one that I love is so Un-PC Un-Woke....  An album like this could not be made in 2022 unless you are a rap artist.   You just gotta love it.

So with nothing further, here is a rundown of this 1980 classic, which again I have ranked the songs in preference in blue

Side 1-

Hells Bells-  Almost every fan got chills with the 12+ 1 Church Bells at the start of this intro to the album.  There are all kind of conspiracy thoughts on what "13" met with hell, and whatever, but there is no doubt this song was their ultimate ode to their biggest "hell-raiser" in the band.  Bon Scott supposedly was quite a scrapper, and was not a good choice for a bar fist fight.  I think the Young brothers did a nice job in this tribute. 6

Shoot to Thrill-  Great tune.  Johnson's first vocal foray that he is an acceptable replacement for Scott.  First of many of the "bad boy themes" on this work. End of tune has great dueling of Johnson's screaming, and some of Angus Young's best fret work on the LP 2

What Do You Do For Money Honey-  Band really gets into the sexual aspects of their thinking on this song. Basically a slam on gold digging parasites, that they probably constantly encountered in the exploits. More wizardry from Angus.  Guy was on fire on this album.  4

Give the Dog a Bone- Never said AC-DC was into subtlety.   :cool:  Citing the lyrics on this one might get one banned on sexual content.  But like so much of this album...   Good stuff.  No filler on this one folks. 3

Let Me Put My Love into You-  Never Said AC-DC was into subtlety (Part II)-  Agressive sexual tendencies in these lyrics would get crazy condemnation nowadyas. 5

Side 2-

Back In Black-  1st of 2 tunes that got the greatest airplay back in 1980, and both of these today get significant classic rock airplay. Song, which everyone thought was strange being added to Side 2 makes all the sense in the world.  I beleive that it was intended to show.....   We aren't dead, and we will be a force to be reckoned with. Great integration for a full metal song, more than any other tune on the album.  7

You Shook Me All Night Long-  Back to the sexual theme....Easily the most recognizable and biggest hit of the LP.  Rates somewhat lower for me, and with other works that seem to get extreme over play.  To give a good example of how ridiculous the overplay got?  I have added a tune(clip below) that make the dumbest moment in music history. 9

Have A Drink on Me- Way under-appreciated track, and my favorite.  All the members click and I love how the song cressendos toward the end while taking another swig.   :cool: 1

Shake a Leg- This is 1980's response to the Stone's Street Fighting Man.  Rock and Roll Man......... 8

Rock and Roll A'int Noise Pollution-  Not a bad tune, but maybe the weakest of an absolutely fantastic album. 10

Aren't too many albums that do this well of a job of summation of the Rock and Roll excesses.  If you are having a party any time soon.  This one is always a great one to add for a listen.

And as promised, here is maybe the dumbest moment in Music history, and IMO a slap at AC-DC's legacy,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21iW_YMLvmU

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:11:45 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2022, 02:50:10 pm »
Classic Album of the Day- Boston - (Self Titled). *****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTA0ImUMk-g

This is an interesting pick in the context, I have previously reviewed what I thought were classics that consistent through out the LP.  In Boston's Self Titled work in 1976, this is not entirely the case.  Don't get me wrong, this is maybe the most played work that I listened to in my entire youth.  I wore out 3 albums and (4) 8 Tracks during the late '70's and early '80's.  More than A Feeling is my favorite rock anthem of all time, and I literally played it 10,000's of times at 110 decibles.  Piece of Mind is right up there too.  Then the drop off comences.   Here is the rub.....  Boston's waillng riffs and wonderful vocals mask the fact that their love ballads suck.  To this day, I have never understood how they thought that formula of junking up half their albums with that junk, is beyond me.   And they continued that trend their entire damned career.  Just think what would have become of Boston, if they had stuck with what worked.

To me this was the golden age of guitar wizardry.  Tom Scholz and EVH epitomized the change in that standard chording progression and solos were not absolute formulas anymore.  They showed that the entire tune could revolve around guitar melodic schemes.  Scholz didn't have the abilty of self promotion EVH had, nor did he lead his band into a catalog that gave them a lasting legacy that VH had. 

Still this is one of the best selling debut albums of all time, at 17M units.  It also remained on the charts 132 weeks.  No doubting its greatness and legacy.

So here is the rundown of the tunes, as in the past I have ranked them in blue.

Side 1

More Than a Feeling-  When I first heard this guitar tour de force of galatic  riffs in 1976,  I was blown away.  From Scholz' mastery of guitar to Delp's fine vocals.....   This was my theme song of the Late '70's.  I spent countless hours blasting the tune out of my truck from my Craig Power Play at 110 decibles.  My friends knew when I was coming.  I know this syncopated riff classic was swiped from the James Gang's book of riffs (Tend my Garden, but I didn't care.  1

Piece of Mind-  Another fabulously great song by Boston.   Maybe the greatest harmony in the late '70's The last minue of the synched guitar work in layered progression is still a feat that seems near to impossible to replicate.  2

Foreplay/Longtime- Another excellent excellent one from a Side 1 that was mouth droppingly great.  Wow....  juwt wow.  3

Now I issue a challenge .....    Look at yours and your friends copy of this LP.  I'll bet money side 1 is a helluva lot more worn than Side 2.
That was no accident, as you will see.

Side 2

Rock and Roll Band-  I knew it couldn't last.  Pedestiran sounding tune that was pointless on content and inspiration,  Who gives a shit about your record contracts, and rise to power.  To me this whole side is strange, and the fact they spent their entire creative capital in one bang was crazy.  6

Smokin'-  Best on Side 2-  Straight forward standard rock tune, and pretty in tune with all the smoke filled cars that were cruising in the day.  Best keyboard on the LP, if you are into that part of Boston's repitoire .  4

Hitch a Ride- Ugh!!!!   When Boston does ballads....  They suck.  Nice keyboard solo work at the mid point of this dong does not redeem this cut.  7

Something About You- Decent stuff.  Not to Side 1 standards though.  Also at this point you are getting somewhat of a 1 dimensional feel to this band's sound    5

Let Me Take You Home Tonight-  Another sappy crappy Boston Ballad.  An awful ending to an album that started on a pace to be one of the greatest of all time.  8
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:10:52 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #641 on: June 16, 2022, 04:39:53 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Black Sabbath Volume 4. ****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU99kUnWW3E

First a disclaimer....  I am not a fan of heavy metal, or even really like the genre, (especially '80's and '90's froth)  But, in my early years this particular band had so unique a sound and were so good at it, I was a big big fan.  I will also go on record and say that  Sabbath's legacy can not be understated.  Probably no musical act in history besides them can claim that single handledly invented a genre.

My choice to share, will not be likely the choice of others.  The seeds were planted with Self-Titled, and Paranoid.  But with Master of Reality and Volume 4, the formula and sound was so honed down to a craft that you knew that these boys from Birmingham were really on to something be.  So it almost came down to a coin flip between Master of Reality and Vol. 4.  To me, they are equally good.  So the coin flip went to Volume 4, which was released in 1972.   And as usual, I will rank the cuts in blue.

Side 1-

Wheels of Confusion-  Before getting to much further into the catalog, it needs to be mentioned that this album famously was created at the height of Black Sabbath drug use.  One could almost sumise that every song had to consider tinges of that aspect.  Lyrics on Wheels was no different.  Though at face value, the some my appear retrospective, it also could come across as an acid trip.  Needless to say, on this cut, and almost every other one on this album, Iommi's work is spectacular.  Ozzy's voice is also at maybe its most strong in the entire catalog. -3

Tomorrow's Dream-  Good drumming by Ward, which from what I read was a stretch.  They say he was so strung out, and near overdose, that he was not functonal. Song has a tad of a native american vibe to it too. Song really rocks though, -4

Changes-  I have said I have really never been much into rock ballads.  But when Sabbath did them, they seemed surreal considering all the mayhem that surrounds them.  The melotron work in the tune also makes this one errily beautiful. Could be almost a lull in the action tune in a Thrasher Movie -5

FX-  I couple this song with Supernaunt, because in my youth, there was no way to really de-couple the tunes.  Actual cut (FX, meaning Effects, I guess) is really only a minute and a half space age sounding reverb.  But buddy, does it ever augment into the most hellacious metal tune of all time. -1

Supernaunt-  IMO Greatest Metal Song of all time.  Every band member lets it all out and fly in a bombastic manner.  Great riffs, Fablous Geezer thump line.  Ongoing crashing cymbals.  This is what heavy metal rock and roll is all about.  Please don't skip this one.- 1

Side 2-

Snowblind-  Again, one of a number of drug referenced tunes, and in this one, the boys affirm their love of Cocaine.  Fantastic hooks, where Tony and Geezer fully blend their fret work in a powerful and blasting tune.  Easy a top 5 BS tune, and would be the best if not for Supernaunt. 2

Cornucopia-  I remember this as fan favorite back in the Live sabbath days.  Time changes and shifts in meter are just another example that these aren't brain dead head banging ax guys. There is really some great song writing intertwined with shot gun blast to the ears.-7

Laguna Sunrise-  Another great light ballad that just makes you scratch your head, that how can the same guys who blast out Supernaunt and Paranoid  compose this.  This is almost something in the air you would hear from Zeppelin.-6

St. Vitus Dance-  Not saying this is filler, but this definitiely a drop off from the rest of what was become a great album.  In this line of work batting a 1.000 is near impossible. - 9

Under The Sun-  Filler part 2?  Saying this may be blashpeme from the modern metal heads, who many believe think this song is the blueprint of all modern heavy metal.  I personally don't agree, and this song just doesn't give the last of the album justice.  Stick with the first 6 tracks. - 8

The 1st 5 albums of Black Sabbath are all worth a listen.  But if you really want to hear them at their best,   try Master of Reality or Volume 4.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:09:53 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #642 on: June 18, 2022, 04:46:48 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  The Who- Who's Next  *****

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTugfDAH2xM

Outside the Beatles, The Who by far is the most profilic and talented songwriters and hitmakers that came out of the Brittish invasion.  In overall longevity, as far as musically they outlasted their biggest competitors, the Beatles and The Rolling Stones.  What is even more remarkable, is that The Who was less a collaboration of work, but pretty much focused on the genius of Pete Townsend.

The Who made other great albums...   Tommy, Quadrophenia, My Generation, but what is most amazing about this band, is that they only did 12 Studio albums in their entire career.  And out of that small sample, 32 singles charted.

I have mentioned earlier, that it was pure magic that this work was released 86 days earlier than Led Zeppelin IV.  And there were many many other choices of great albums in '71.  Like ZZTop's first.  The Yes Album, Sticky Fingers, Madman Across the Water,  ELO, etc.  Quite a quandary for the young album buyer at the time.

In many ways, I beleive this was the pinnacle of the success of the band, Daughtery who at the time had one of the best voices in rock, started in decline from there, and  Keith Moon especially started in earnest into his dark descent into drugs.  But the no one can deny that the tandem of musicianship of Townsend, Moon, and Entwistle could be denied as great.  Townsend himself started going into gloom, actively deriding Zeppelin as the pinnacle of rock heap. 

But back to this classic.  This album is full of classics   Cuts again ranked in Blue

Side 1

Baba O'Riley-  By far IMO the greatest Who song by far.  Song starts with an almost robotic synth line for about 10 measure, then into the "DAG" piano augment, ...add drums, the in one of the most powerful belting of an anthem "OUT HERE IN THE FIELDS!!!! I FIGHT FOR MY MEALS!!!, the layer in Townsend's guitar.  This is about the most perfect hard rock song ever composed. No ever before or since has taken the D-A-G Chordal progression so powerfully. 1

Bargain- Another excellent rocker, Townsend effectively works in some melodic parts, and synth to give some texture for contrast. Moon's drumming has some complexity not seen in other parts of the album too.  Good stuff  5

Love A'int For Keeping- By now, you pretty much know that I am not a fan of ballads.  But, there is no doubt, that the Who was a band who did them pretty effectively - 8

My Wife- Entiwistle's famous contribution to the work- Rally nice how Townsend blended the horns.  Just more evidence of how innovative Pete was with his sound.  This level of versatility, really wasn't as appreciated as it should be.  6

This Song Is Over-  Did I say I didn't like Ballads?  Not in this case.  Awesome work by the band Powerful vocals by Daughtery, and how the song cressendos towards the end....  very powerful too.  What a great band.   3

Side 2-

Getting in Tune-  Not a bad ballad.  But what a let down after "This Song is Over" 7

Goin' Mobile- Weakest tune in what is a spectacular album.  Some good drumming, but this one just doesn't do if for me,  Townsend kinds of sings it sillily too.   9

Behind Blue Eyes-  Another very very powerful ballad.  Daughtery's belts it out nicely.  The shift change mid song toward adds more beauty and power to the tune.  Song got much much air play in the day- 4

Won't Get Fooled Again-  Epic anthem that rings even to this day to the distrust of political power.   Great great tune, and one of their hallmark live tunes.  Like Baba O'Riley starts with a synth opening, then pretty much turns into a full blown hellacious power.  Often one of Pete's favorites to do his guitar smashing.......    And who can forget the ending, that is often so apt.   MEET THE NEW BOSS......SAME AS THE OLD BOSS"- 2
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:09:14 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #643 on: June 18, 2022, 07:19:20 pm »
 @catfish1957

There is something wrong with any list that doesn't have Pink Floyd in the number 1 spot.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #644 on: June 18, 2022, 07:26:36 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  The Who- Who's Next

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTugfDAH2xM

Outside the Beatles, The Who by far is the most profilic and talented songwriters and hitmakers that came out of the Brittish invasion.  In overall longevity, as far as musically they outlasted their biggest competitors, the Beatles and The Rolling Stones.  What is even more remarkable, is that The Who was less a collaboration of work, but pretty much focused on the genius of Pete Townsend.

The Who made other great albums...   Tommy, Quadrophenia, My Generation, but what is most amazing about this band, is that they only did 12 Studio albums in their entire career.  And out of that small sample, 32 singles charted.

I have mentioned earlier, that it was pure magic that this work was released 86 days earlier than Led Zeppelin IV.  And there were many many other choices of great albums in '71.  Like ZZTop's first.  The Yes Album, Sticky Fingers, Madman Across the Water,  ELO, etc.  Quite a quandary for the young album buyer at the time.

In many ways, I beleive this was the pinnacle of the success of the band, Daughtery who at the time had one of the best voices in rock, started in decline from there, and  Keith Moon especially started in earnest into his dark descent into drugs.  But the no one can deny that the tandem of musicianship of Townsend, Moon, and Entwistle could be denied as great.  Townsend himself started going into gloom, actively deriding Zeppelin as the pinnacle of rock heap. 

But back to this classic.  This album is full of classics   Cuts again ranked in Blue

Side 1

Baba O'Riley-  By far IMO the greatest Who song by far.  Song starts with an almost robotic synth line for about 10 measure, then into the "DAG" piano augment, ...add drums, the in one of the most powerful belting of an anthem "OUT HERE IN THE FIELDS!!!! I FIGHT FOR MY MEALS!!!, the layer in Townsend's guitar.  This is about the most perfect hard rock song ever composed. No ever before or since has taken the D-A-G Chordal progression so powerfully. 1

Bargain- Another excellent rocker, Townsend effectively works in some melodic parts, and synth to give some texture for contrast. Moon's drumming has some complexity not seen in other parts of the album too.  Good stuff  5

Love A'int For Keeping- By now, you pretty much know that I am not a fan of ballads.  But, there is no doubt, that the Who was a band who did them pretty effectively - 8

My Wife- Entiwistle's famous contribution to the work- Rally nice how Townsend blended the horns.  Just more evidence of how innovative Pete was with his sound.  This level of versatility, really wasn't as appreciated as it should be.  6

This Song Is Over-  Did I say I didn't like Ballads?  Not in this case.  Awesome work by the band Powerful vocals by Daughtery, and how the song cressendos towards the end....  very powerful too.  What a great band.   3

Side 2-

Getting in Tune-  Not a bad ballad.  But what a let down after "This Song is Over" 7

Goin' Mobile- Weakest tune in what is a spectacular album.  Some good drumming, but this one just doesn't do if for me,  Townsend kinds of sings it sillily too.   9

Behind Blue Eyes-  Another very very powerful ballad.  Daughtery's belts it out nicely.  The shift change mid song toward adds more beauty and power to the tune.  Song got much much air play in the day- 4

Won't Get Fooled Again-  Epic anthem that rings even to this day to the distrust of political power.   Great great tune, and one of their hallmark live tunes.  Like Baba O'Riley starts with a synth opening, then pretty much turns into a full blown hellacious power.  Often one of Pete's favorites to do his guitar smashing.......    And who can forget the ending, that is often so apt.   MEET THE NEW BOSS......SAME AS THE OLD BOSS"- 2

I have to agree with you.  The WHO's best song ever is "Baba O'Riley". 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 07:27:37 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #645 on: June 19, 2022, 08:34:44 pm »
I have to agree with you.  The WHO's best song ever is "Baba O'Riley".

That's a tough call.

5:15

The Real Me

Love Reign O'er Me

Magic Bus

Who Are You

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline berdie

« Reply #646 on: June 19, 2022, 09:06:51 pm »
As usual, I'm the odd man out. IMHO Bargain was the best they ever did. :laugh:

(I actually only went to a later concert of theirs just to hear the song live.)

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #647 on: June 19, 2022, 09:40:24 pm »
Bargain

See Me, Feel Me

Long Live Rock

Join Together

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #648 on: June 20, 2022, 02:18:01 pm »
Classic Album of the Day-  Emerson Lake and Palmer- Brain Salad Surgery (1973)  **** 1/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4fVQkL08Uo

Today's fare is one of the great prog albums of all time.  Granted ELP's formula of not being centered around guitar is often not in people's tastes and roundhouses.  I very much stand by contention that this band along with Yes, Pink Floyd, and Rush, are the most talented center of musicianship in any era of rock. And I will add that as far as vocals, Greg Lake bests those from the other 3 bands. 

BSS really clicked in coherence versus some of the other works.  Tarkus, IMO was the most complex piece of music ever attempted.  As brilliant, and complex it was, I will grant it is not an easy listen.  ELP took the early brilliance, and almost calming impacts  of their first album, and combined it Tarkus' wizardry to create their greatest and most iconic work.  There is a reason Keith Emerson is pretty much regarded universally as Rock's gratest keyboardsman of all time.

Rock's most under-rated drummer, is absolutlely brilliant, and I will add his iconic '74 California Jam performance at the end to provide some proof.  I will rank again in blue.  Of course, call ELP's works songs, is not the correct nomenclatue.  Emerson's works are more like classical movements in every respect.  Again, a warning.....  If you are not into classical music tingerd with heavy and bombastic synthesizers....  This will not be your thing.

Side 1-

Jerusalem-  Beautiful and majestic opening.  Lake's voice is incredibly powerful and forceful. Will admit, when I first heard, and seeing Emerson mark the fitst work with a church organ, was kind of a shock, but really nice.  Song sounds much like military anthem in its feel.  Great start guys. 5

Toccata-  Wow, Wow.....   Song really doesn't truly match the musical term.  The best way to describe this piece, is picture a scientific battle between bots.  Emerson nicley mixes synths and organ, while Palmer plays incredibly difficult percussion runs.  This one was a favorite of those broadening their minds in the day.  The all hell breaking lose with synths and drums late tune, is not only pretty unique to ELP, but to pretty much anyone else.  What a classic.  There is one point, you can almost visualize the carnage on battlefield. 3

Still.... You Turn Me On-  Album's ballad, and thanks to Lake's voice, maybe their best since Lucky Man. Always thought it was amazing that ELP had the versatility to excel at both ballads and grounding breaking prog. 6

Benny The Bouncer-  What the hell got into Keith's head in this one.  Totally out of place 100 year old like piano barrel roll piano piece that tried a hand at humor.  Hey guys,  Wierd Al is funny, leave that part of the business to him.   Instead you wasted a cut in this classic.  Less than filler. What a shame 8

Karn Evil 9- 1st Impression Part 1- Karn Evil 9 is (was) ELP's most epic work.  Overall work is a commentary of a dystopia by human's desctruction in the world, and the most simple things are held in side show carnival.  Most interesting of all is the vision (1973, no less), is of a war between humans and computers, and that aftermath. 4 minutes into the work you will hear one of the most incredible keyboard runs in history.  To this day, it is hard for me comprehend how Emerson had the dexterity to play 32nd notes simutaneously not only the organ, but the synthesizer.  1

Side 2-

Karn Evil 9- 1st Impression Part 2-  Welcome Back My Friends to the Show that Never End, screams the side show barker.  All the guys work great in tandem.  Impression ends with classic drum solo from Palmer (abbreviated, see live below).  Classic ELP at its best- 2

Karn Evil 9- 2nd Impression-  1st part highlights some jazz infused piano, that at 2 minute mark masterfully blends into a piano/steel drum with a Carabbean vibe. Keyboard wizardry.  Oh yeah.  And like great classical music, tone masterfully shifts mid way into a macrabe sounding Hitchcock type of far., and finally returning full circle to a jazz finale. Great musicianship, but I am not really into Jazz 7

Karn Evil 9- 3rd Impression-  Anthem filled finale. Very majestic and beautifully played. Until....   Latter half of song reverts to almost like Toccata, and its crazy keyboard interplay and drum work.  Way way back, I used to wonder if the very last of the album is epic with its electrionic speeded up hysteria.  What a ride. 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19BpRijJD4

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:08:33 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #649 on: June 29, 2022, 03:37:32 pm »
Classic Album of the Day- Styx- Grand Illusion. (1977). **** 1/2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Paz-DMs2EY

If you have watched the Top 20 lists, you will notice that I really enjoyed late '70's Styx.  The 3 album consecutive tandem of Equinox- Crystal Ball- Grand Illusion-Pieces of 8, was about as good as it got in the era. Styx was a commerically tinged Prog act, who had a great lineup, and really blew it away during these 3 of 4 albums

But here is the rub, the band's artistic direction during their hay day, devolved into a battle between James Young and Dennis DeYoung.  JY wanted to take and keep the band on the hard rock track.  DeYoung OTOH, was hell bent on taking them down the shitty path of soft rock and crappy ballads.  In the end DeYoung won that battle,  and why now Styx's legacy was overall tarnished.

To go from Equinox-Grand Illusion-Pieces of 8 to....  Cornerstone-Paradise Theatre-Killroy was Here, was suicidal.   

I could have picked any of the 3.  Equinox was the most edgy, but most uneven,  Pieces of 8 the most progged, but with more filler.  So I decided to go with Grand Illusion, which filled many many hours of listening in 1977-78.  What is nice too, is the album is spread nicely between their 3 excellent songwriters (Dennis DeYoung-James Young-Tommy Shaw)  And as usually, tracks are ranked in.
blue

Side 1- 

Grand Illusion- Title Track hits home nicely Strong majestic organ/guitar.  Great harmonization, that becomes a major trait of the album too. Such an upbeat song too. Love the final almost promenade type ending that has fantastic organ/guitar interplay.  This is my 3rd favorite Styx song behind Suite Madame Blue, and I'm Okay.  1

Fooling Yourself (Angry Young Man).  Tommy Shaw takes center stage. Melodic wonder in 6/8 Time.  Musical shifts are masterful, and takes so  many forms and fashions.  5

Superstars- Group collaboration that hits on all cylinders.  Really good feeling song.  And folks, this is an incredibly consistent good album to listen too. 4

Come Sail Away-  Maybe Styx's most famous and popular song in their entire catalog.  If you in into ballads, this is a really good.  Personally, this got so much damned air play in the day, that I got sick of it.  The majority of you probably will rank this song much higher on the LP.  6

Side 2-

Miss America-  Fantastic JY tune.  Beside's his social commentary around the beauty pagent industry.  Young puts together most rocking tune on the LP.  Great searing synth and guitar solos mid song are worth price of admission. 2

Man in the Wilderness- Not that this is tepid, but not really Shaw's best work.  90% is MOR balladish, but the final minute of the song rocks with some good solo work though. 7

Castle Walls- A Dennis Deyoung ballad that balances synth and guitar, much like the earlier Shaw number.  Maybe the weakest cut on the LP. By now you kind of get an idea of how the band differences are turning this band into Jeklyll/Hyde persona  8

The Grand Finale-  Excellent and powerful , though short summation of end of a great album.  Styx knew they nailed this. 3

Again, I can not express how big an ass hole Dennis DeYoung is for destroying Styx.  Today, they are a mostly forgotten band.  In the land of classic rock, legacy has to do with how true to your fans you were.  DeYoung wrongly thought the band's fan base was 14 year old girls who love sappy crappy love ballads.  Was he ever wrong, and it has sadly cost them. 

I thought it was interesting that the  (3/5) remaining band members (minus DeYoung and Panzo) decided in 2012 to play live Grand Illusion and Pieces of 8 live in album order for nostalgic purposes.  I loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9QfV55XOLg

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:07:34 pm by catfish1957 »