Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 128837 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2022, 06:23:05 pm »
My favorite song of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EBs6uRgtw&ab_channel=rbvo
I saw Medley and Hatfield perform at the Las Vegas Hilton in 2003 a few months prior to Bobby's death.  Same place that Elvis had 58 consecutive sold out shows in 1969.

They were wonderful, even though the melodious Medley had a bit of cracking in his voice.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #376 on: January 29, 2022, 06:31:52 pm »
1981  -  Rainbow

Can't Happen Here

Difficult to Cure (Live, '84 - credit to Ludwig Van Beethöven)

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #377 on: January 29, 2022, 06:34:06 pm »
Considering that my walls were covered with Beatle photos that was my passion in the 60's

Never cared for heavy rock which was a good thing since my mother would never allowed me to bring it in the house..I had enough trouble with her accepting the Beatles..lol

Here are a few artists that I bought albums and 45's
The Dave Clark Five

Jay & The Americans

Tommy James and the Shondels

Johnny Rivers

Beach Boys

Elvis....of course

Supremes

Simon and Garfunkel

Peter, Paul and Mary

Roy Orbison

The Righteous Brothers

and many more

Here is the voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFy5_kmEi4&ab_channel=flydguzmon
I love that Jay and Americans' song (PS - was that you dancing with the booties on in the video background?)

This is the one I listened to more.

http://youtu.be/V8lRsmyRJg8

This was those years when performers really sang and voices were not covered up with loud music, as well as lyrics that you were not ashamed to tell your kids you listened to.

Here's a few more I bought albums or 45s of

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Herman's Hermits

Ricky Nelson

Petula Clark

Freddy and the Dreamers

The Loving Spoonful

The Kinks

The Hollies

The Monkees

The Young Rascals

Paul Revere and the Raiders

The Four Seasons
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:26:17 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #379 on: January 29, 2022, 08:16:01 pm »

Hard to go wrong with anything in his repertoire of work.  You could start with "Damn the Torepdoes", to as I mentioned "Full Moon Fever", to "Into the Great Wide Open" and beyond.  Petty is the one act that I most reget not being able to see.   As far as a sample?, too target rich of an environment.  Think I will go with what I feel is almost requiem-ist farewell from the master himself.  His passing left a gaping void in rock.
To me, it was seeing The Who in concert I regret never seeing.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #380 on: January 29, 2022, 08:27:23 pm »
To me, it was seeing The Who in concert I regret never seeing.

Luckily got to see them in December 1982.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #381 on: January 29, 2022, 08:33:54 pm »
Saw Tom Petty twice (on account of my ex-wife).  I made the mistake of taking her to a Dead show.  Learned that lesson real quick.  She stayed at home after that.

1981 -  Tom Petty

The Waiting (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

« Reply #382 on: January 29, 2022, 08:40:43 pm »
I love that Jay and Americans' song (PS - was that you dancing with the booties on in the video background?)

This is the one I listened to more.

http://youtu.be/V8lRsmyRJg8

This was those years when performers really sang and voices were not covered up with loud music, as well as lyrics that you were not ashamed to tell your kids you listened to.

Here's a few more I bought albums or 45s of

Gary Lewis and the Playboys

Herman's Hermits

Ricky Nelson

Petula Clark

Freddy and the Dreamers

The Loving Spoonful

The Kinks

The Hollies

The Monkees

The Young Rascals

Paul Revere and the Raiders

The Four Seasons

I actually saw Petula Clark when we took a trip years ago to Branson, MO. Not that she was one of my favorites in any way, but she was part of the vacation tour that we took that year.  :shrug:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv5nd-3BRr4
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #383 on: January 29, 2022, 08:44:15 pm »
When I was a young teenager I was very much a Monkees fan.  happy77 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2MLlZKarM
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #384 on: January 29, 2022, 10:12:51 pm »
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:51:53 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #385 on: January 29, 2022, 11:46:42 pm »
I'll offer up the weirdest song that reached the top 100 in the past 60 years.

http://youtu.be/hnzHtm1jhL4

« Reply #386 on: January 30, 2022, 12:05:00 am »

I saw Black Oak several times and they were wild fun. Best thing about them was that they introduced the world to Ruby Starr. She was spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0FPxuQv2ns
I remember Ruby Starr this way.  Shortest dress I ever saw.  Man those days were fun!  Go Jim Dandy! @debrawiest

http://youtu.be/LyEgrWw0Xog

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 01:38:53 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #387 on: January 30, 2022, 05:13:51 am »
July 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Pat Benetar (No change)
5. Led Zeppelin (+1)
6. Boston (+1)
7. Billy Joel (-2)
8. Kansas (+2)
9. Police (-1)
10. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
11. REO Speedwagon (+2)
12. Cars (N change)
13. Rush (+1)
14. Eagles (+1)
15. UFO (New)
16. Devo (No change)
17. Dire Straits (No change)
18. Tom Petty (No change)
19. Heart (New)
20. Eddie Money (New)

UFO- Another really really good band, that never got past back up band status in the arena concert circuit.  Surprised after looking it up, they had little or no success in cracking the charts.  Honestly, I think competition was so fierece for our vinyl dollars in those day, that they always just came up short. Guys were def. competent, so guess just another mystery of getting the breaks.

Here is a kick ass example of what they sounded like in the late '70's and early '80's.  Diggin' that Flying V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8LAhjKLhro

Heart-  I know what you are saying.....   It took all the way to mid 1981 to add Heart to the top 20?....  And folks I will be take that criticism for being late to the game.  The Wilson sisters were hit making machines who flat out rocked out. When I later saw them concert, I was really impressed with their ability to play so tight that it gave credence to the studio versions.  The only bands I saw who did it better were Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, and Yes.

Heart charted 33 hits.  And I bet pretty much everyone is quite familar with their massive repertoire , so I'll go with an outlier.  I am not much into power ballads, but this might be the most powerful ones ever composed in rock.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cw1ng75KP0

« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 05:44:01 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #388 on: January 30, 2022, 06:15:34 am »
I remember Ruby Starr this way.  Shortest dress I ever saw.  Man those days were fun!  Go Jim Dandy! @debrawiest

http://youtu.be/LyEgrWw0Xog

I must have been at that same concert.  Short enough, and explicit enough to safely say the carpets matched the drapes. (Not that I was staring)   :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 06:16:28 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #389 on: January 30, 2022, 05:03:48 pm »
August 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (+1)
3. Neil Young (-1)
4. Led Zeppelin (+1)
5. Pat Benetar (-1)
6. Boston (No change)
7. Bill Joel (No change)
8. Kansas (No change)
9. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
10. Police (-1)
11. REO Speedwagon (No change)
12. Eagles (+2)
13. Heart (+6)
14. Cars (-2)
15. Rush (-2)
16. Dire Straits (+1)
17. Foreigner (New)
18. Tom Petty (No change)
19. DEVO (-2)
20. Eddie Money (No change)

On a scale of 10, this is an 11 on the amp of cool and awesome.  I can not imagine what classic rock would have looked or sounded like without  Led Zeppelin......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WSbMW7BPc&t=1263s

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #390 on: January 30, 2022, 06:36:28 pm »
September 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
4. Led Zeppelin (No change)
5. Pat Benetar (No change)
6. Boston (No change)
7. Kansas (+1)
8. Rush (+7)
9. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
10. Billy Joel (-2)
11. Police (-1)
12. REO Speedwagon (-1)
13. Jefferson Starship (New)
14. Eagles (-2)
15. Heart (-2)
16. Cars (-2)
17. AC DC (New)
18. Dire Straits (-2)
19. Foreigner (-2)
20. Tom Petty (-2)

AC DC-. Wow...  another embarassing omission that is just now showing up late 1981.  This is the ultimate 3 chord grind it in your face rock and roll band.  What you see is what you get.  What might be a simplistic musical model also made this into one of the greatest rock bands of all time.  Sadly, I have a really lame excuse for this oversight.  In the '70's I had heard that these guys were gay, or by nature of their name bi-sexual. The electrical voltage motif, escaped me, as I thought everything in rock and roll had ulterior meanings.   My homophobic butt  bought off on this bogus rumour, and I missed out entirely  the Bon Scott era.   9999hair out0000

So when I was finally englightened, I was marveled at what these guys could do with Boom-Boom-Boom in repetition. Hell, I could listen to Yes or Rush if I wanted musicanship.......    This was balls to walls Rock and Roll that made your sternum vibrate when the speakers were cranked up. This is another band, that if I gave any one sample, I'd do dis-service to their legacy.  So, I will repeat an earlier post of their latest work which is a nicely done anthology of their career.  Kind of sad, because it is almost treated as a Swansong.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #391 on: January 30, 2022, 10:41:26 pm »
October 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Rush (+4)
5. Led Zeppelin (-1)
6. Pat Benetar (-1)
7. Boston (-1)
8. Jefferson Starship (+5)
9. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
10. Dire Straits (+8)
11. Kansas (-4)
12. Billy Joel (-2)
13. Police (-2)
14. AC DC (+3)
15. REO Speedwagon (-3)
16. Heart (-1)
17. Eagles (-3)
18. Car (-2)
19. Foereigner (No change)
20. Tom Petty (No change)

Here is a band in a that in a few months in list terms will debut.  How he/they didn't become a more substantial act was strange.  4 very strongs tracks on 1st album.  To me, they are like what would be if Buddy Holly met Elvis Costello who met The Cars.  Really not a definable genre to put the pin on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyozqCucVXg&list=PLrpyDacBCh7AdXIklCP_y0agR1WYCGzzs&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHfBMex0PrA&list=PLrpyDacBCh7AdXIklCP_y0agR1WYCGzzs&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bVOJM6-zPI&list=PLrpyDacBCh7AdXIklCP_y0agR1WYCGzzs&index=8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMwHrmBPqs&list=PLrpyDacBCh7AdXIklCP_y0agR1WYCGzzs&index=9

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2022, 03:20:53 am »
1980/81  -  Saxon

Dallas 1 PM

Wheels of Steel

And the Bands Played On (Live, '83)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2022, 03:26:26 am »
1981  -  Styx

Rockin' the Paradise (Live)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2022, 05:07:09 am »
November 1981 List-

1. Styx (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Rush (No change)
5. Led Zeppelin (No change)
6. Boston (+1)
7. Jefferson Starship (+1)
8. Pat Benetar (-2)
9. Dire Straits (+1)
10. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
11. Kansas (No change)
12. Bob Seger (New)
13. AC DC (+1)
14. Police (-1)
15. Billy Joel- (-3)
16. REO Speedwagon (-1)
17. Foreigner (-1)
18. Eagles (-1)
19. Heart (-3)
20. Cars (-2)

At about this time late '81 or early '82, NY Dolls alumnus David Johanson came out with this outstanding Animals cover.  No offense to Eric Burdon and company, but this is another one of those fairly rare examples of where the cover was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_my7pGkN_s

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2022, 05:37:14 am »
December 1981 List

1. Styx (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Bob Seger (+7)
5. Rush (-1)
6. Led Zeppelin (-1)
7. Boston (-1)
8. Jefferson Starship (-1)
9. Dire Straits (No change)
10. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
11. Pat Benetar (-3)
12. Kansas (-1)
13. AC DC (No change)
14. Foreigner (+3)
15. REO Speedwagon (+1)
16. Eagles (+2)
17. Police (-3)
18. Billy Joel- (-3)
19. Cars (+1)
20. Heart (-1)

Concert- December 9, 1981- Billy Thorpe, Johnny Van Zant, and  Blackfoot-Price on stub $9.50-

Billy Thorpe- Classic one hit wonder.  But it was one hell of a hit.  Great tune, and it was played at the concert!!!!!  Played this one many times "LOUD" in the car. Don't forget the headphones on this one folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGPUBSQLgfs

Johnny Van Zant- Latter Synkryd singer who obviously can't write songs worth a damn.  Set was pointless.  He's obviously a Van Zant in name only.

Blackfoot- - Okay Southern Rockers I guess.  But weak as a headliner.  For a reminder, here is the tune that they were probably best known for....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOJj0yKrxE

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2022, 06:56:00 am »
January 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Foreigner (+10)
5. Rush (No change)
6. Bob Seger (-2)
7. Dire Straits (+2)
8. Led Zeppelin (-2)
9. Boston (-2)
10. Jefferson Starshiip (-2)
11. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
12. Kansas (No change)
13. Pat Benetar (-2)
14. AC DC (-1)
15. Eagles (+1)
16. REO Speedwagon (-1)
17. Police (No change)
18. Billy Joel (No change)
19. Cars (No change)
20. Heart (No change)

Huge move up with Foreigner this month was on the strength of their best album IV.   This is such a solid consistent album, Think Ill just include the  whole LP. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgNh0s3Bmw

And secondly for the 1981/82 ish time era.  A tune from an album that has maybe my favorite album cover of all time.  There's nothing cooler than cannons. And the album kicks ass too. Proof Brian Johnson was no fluke.  (also in entirety)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbzsMt-uvrc

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 06:59:39 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2022, 01:14:38 pm »
February 1982 List

1. Styx (No change)
3. Foreigner (+1)
4. Journey (-1)
5. Bob Seger (+1)
6. Rush (-1)
7. Dire Straits (No change)
8. Led Zeppelin (No change)
9. Boston (No change)
10. Jefferson Starship (No change)
11. AC DC (+2)
12. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
13. Kansas (-1)
14. REO Speedwagon (+2)
15. Pat Benetar (-2)
16. Eagles (-1)
17. Police (No change)
18. Tom Petty (New)
19. Cars (No change)
20. Billy Joel (-2)

Early live version of this Yes classic.....  Guy's this young in their early to mid 20's, being able to make and perform music at this level?  Remarkable!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx_GIji9EGw

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2022, 02:27:55 pm »
1981  -  Foreigner

Urgent

Juke Box Hero

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2022, 02:30:57 pm »
1981  -  J Geils Band

Freeze Frame

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-