Author Topic: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.  (Read 126342 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Classic Rock Discussion thread, including Catfish's Top 20 Lists.
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2022, 03:41:54 am »
1978  -  Queen

Fat Bottomed Girls

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2022, 04:33:04 am »
The first rock concert I ever went to was the 1974 ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barn Dance and Bar B.Q. in the Texas Longhorn stadium in Austin. It was an outdoor stadium in 90 + degree weather. The line up was Bad Company, Joe Cocker, Santana and ZZ Top. We got there very early to get a good seat in the stands. Thank goodness we didn’t get in standing room on the field. They only had a few refreshment stands that quickly ran out of drinks. I was wearing a halter top and short shorts and quickly burned to a crisp. We made it through Bad Company and Joe Cocker and then I passed out from heat exhaustion and got carried to a medic tent. I could hear Santana playing when my boyfriend carried me out of the stadium.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/12937247/the-night-zz-top-concert-trashed-texas-longhorns-stadium
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2022, 05:42:29 am »
August 1979 list

1. Boston (No change)
2. Van Halen (No change)
3. Styx (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Rush (+2)
6. Led Zeppelin ((-1)
7. Foreigner (-1)
8. Bob Seger (+1)
9. Bad Company (-1)
10. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
11. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
12. Eagles (-1)
13. Cars (No change)
14. Moody Blues (+1)
15. Foghate (+1)
16. Kansas (-2)
17. ToTo (+1)
18. Steve Miller (-1)
19. Bachman Turner Overdrive (New)
20. Chicago (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes added

Blue Oyster Cult - Spectres

Back in the '70's when we had KAAY in Little Rock's Beaker Street, the DJ (Clyde Clifford) would throw some epic long gems out there for listeners. I guess he was going on some kind of break.   :cool:   One of his "go to" bands, in this situation would be from Yes.  In the spirit of Beaker Street, I am throwing a couple of Yes tunes that shine their virtuosity like a bright beacon.  Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwpB6b6mhUM&list=RDMM&start_radio=1&rv=tEFiid5UkDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59feSG8U5EQ

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2022, 05:50:13 am »
The first rock concert I ever went to was the 1974 ZZ Top's First Annual Texas Size Rompin' Stompin' Barn Dance and Bar B.Q. in the Texas Longhorn stadium in Austin. It was an outdoor stadium in 90 + degree weather. The line up was Bad Company, Joe Cocker, Santana and ZZ Top. We got there very early to get a good seat in the stands. Thank goodness we didn’t get in standing room on the field. They only had a few refreshment stands that quickly ran out of drinks. I was wearing a halter top and short shorts and quickly burned to a crisp. We made it through Bad Company and Joe Cocker and then I passed out from heat exhaustion and got carried to a medic tent. I could hear Santana playing when my boyfriend carried me out of the stadium.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/12937247/the-night-zz-top-concert-trashed-texas-longhorns-stadium

Wow, that was a ordeal, and sadly you ended up missing ZZ Top. 

A number of pages back in this thread, I described my experienced getting crushed up front at an Alice Cooper concert.  Not surviving did cross my mind as it was happening. I guess rock concerts weren't the absolute safest places to be in the '70's.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2022, 07:19:51 am »
Wow, that was a ordeal, and sadly you ended up missing ZZ Top. 

A number of pages back in this thread, I described my experienced getting crushed up front at an Alice Cooper concert.  Not surviving did cross my mind as it was happening. I guess rock concerts weren't the absolute safest places to be in the '70's.

Yes. I forgot to say we got crushed against the gates when the crowd got anxious about getting in. Was lucky my boyfriend was a bodybuilder and was able to pull me out of the crowd. They were not prepared for the people who showed up without tickets and tried to push their way in.

Also got to see ZZ Top at their next concert in Houston. It was worth the wait. They put on a show!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:22:45 am by LilLamb »
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2022, 01:49:52 pm »
September 1979 List

1. Styx (+2)
2. Boston (-1)
3. Van Halen (-1)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Led Zeppelin (+1)
6. Rush (-1)
7. Journey (New)
8. Foreginer (-1)
9. Bob Seger (-1)
10. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
11. Bad Company (-2)
12. Cars (+1)
13. Eagles (-1)
14. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-3)
15. Moody Blues (-1)
16. Kansas (No change)
17. Foghat (-2)
18. Toto (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (-1)
20. Chicago (No change)

Vinyl/tapes added

Queen- A Day at the Races
Kansas - Self Titled

Several pages ago, I provided a live video clip of a band called Bloodrock.  It was an absolute rarity, and maybe the only known one of the band in its hay day.  Whys so much of history of the band was lost always a mystery to me.   Bloodrock for some reason  got overshadowed by its managment stablemate Grand Funk, and never seemed to get much traction past regional fandom. Talent wise, I would have had them on par with Mark, Don, and Mel.   

If I had done lists in 1970 this band would have likely been my No.1  90% of the classic rock fans out there probably remember Bloodrock for the track D.O.A., which was a macabre, graphic and explict narrative of plane crash.  The song was just for shock IMO, and has little muscial redeeming value.   The rest of album (Bloodrock 2) is highly charged fantastic rock and roll, with searing dueling guitar and keyboard solos, that are well worth the price of admission.  Here is my favorite track from the album. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJ-LnbzYvE&list=PLXeW7kz_eNjbIxlpOqBAtt14Pn8moGApc&index=4
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:54:05 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2022, 02:34:09 pm »
October 1979-

1. Styx (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Journey (+4)
4. Led Zeppelin (+1)
5. Aerosmith (-1)
6. Van Halen (-3)
7. Foreigner (+1)
8. Rush (-2)
9. Bob Seger (No change)
10. Bad Company (+1)
11. Cars (+1)
12. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
13. Kansas (+3)
14. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
15. Eagles (-2)
16. Moody Blues (-1)
17. Foghat (No change)
18. Chicago (+2)
19. Toto (-1)
20. Steve Miller (-1)

Vinyl/Tape added

Journey- Evolution
Journey- Infinity
Styx- Cornerstone

This was one of the absolute biggest disappointments I ever had in anticipation of an album. This was the follow-up to the legendary Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight masterpieces.   This LP was a wretched unmittigatted piece of garbage.  Dennis DeYoung had criminally hijacked the band into thinking they were pop stars, and the results absolutely SUCKED!!!!!  Want an example of how bad this garbage was?    I hated the Kennedys as much as any other conservative, but this tune just borders on pointless and mean spirited........  What was JY thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu3gI8K-FjI&list=PL957F45A6D19A3440&index=8

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2022, 03:37:17 pm »
November 1979 List

1. Styx (No change) ??? Figured the Cornerstone disaster didn't change my mind too much on their status
2. Boston (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Led Zeppelin (No change)
5. Foreigner (+2)
6. Aerosmith (-1)
7. Van Halen (-1)
8. Rush (No change)
9. Bad Company (+1)
10. Bob Seger (-1)
11. Kansas (+2)
12. Cars (-1)
13. Eagles (+2)
14. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
15. Chicago (+3)
16. Moody Blues (No change)
17. Fleetwood Mac (-5)
18. Foghat (-1)
19. Toto (No change)
20. Steve Miller Band (No change)

Vinyl/Tape additions-  What a great month for albums, after the previous month's disaster with Styx

Foghat- Stone Blue
Styx- Crystal Ball
Foreigner- Head Games
Led Zeppelin- In through the Out Door
Eagles- The Long Run

In Through the Out Door, as all classic rock fans know, is sadly the last studio album for the great Led Zeppelin.  It is so apt that the Band's record company name is Swan Song, and this particular album sure fit the bill.  When I first put this LP on the turntable in 1979, I was truly puzzled in thinking what and why Plant and Page would go off on so many tangents.  And I'll admit, I really wasn't that impressed after my first listen. Now, I place this album in 3rd place in their catalog behind IV and the First album. I always wondered that if Plant/Page had known that Bonham would be gone, if they had played a. more of the mainstream Zep sound.  In any case, this LP grew on me with age, as I understood better what the band had in mind in expanding their scope of chops.

It was a fitting end to the  band that will always be known as the act that knocked the Beatles off the pedestal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57nIP0vc44

The Long Run by the Eagles, is im my opinion their finest work. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you Eagles purist will probably point to one of the first four albums which were all monstrous sellers but catered to a countryish folkish rock fan base.  I hear you, they are the gold standard of that genre. 

This album is black for a reason.  There is a darkness that permeates the sound and lyricsm.  I used to like to play Disco Strangler around my disco loving neighbors.   Like i have said earlier, Joe Walsh added such a great edge to the band, and they reached a much bigger audience, with a heck of a lot of success with his contributions.   Here is my favorite track from the LP....  A Joe Walsh number of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXm8RsyInHQ&list=PLs9vIZChB0tcwRDcPSBPf3ugKtsZ_D-8c&index=3
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:38:30 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2022, 04:48:30 pm »
December 1979 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Led Zeppelin (+1)
4. Journey (-1)
5. Foreigner (No change)
6. Aersosmith (No change)
7. Bob Seger (+3)
8. Rush (No change)
9. Van Halen (-2)
10. Eagles (+3)
11. Bad Company (-2)
12. Kansas (-1)
13. Cars (No change)
14. Foghat (+4)
15. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
16. Chicago (-1)
17. Moody Blues (-1)
18. Toto (+1)
19. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
20. Steve  Miller Band (No Change)

New Vinyl/Tapes

Rolling Stones- Some Girls

Concert- Kiss- December 6, 1979, price on stub $10.00

Three thumbs down to the band on this concert.  First, the stage act was apparently significantly downsized due to the (I guess) smaller venue, (even though my ticket number was 02753).  I had seen pictures and film of their show, and believe me, we were shortchanged.    Secondly, the sound production was awful, loud, and distorted. And last, you can tell when the band doesn't care, and are mailing it in.  This show sucked.  Lone highlight was catching one of Ace Freley's guitar picks, which I promptly gave away to a friend who was a bigger Kiss fan than I was. What an auspicious end to the '70's.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2022, 09:02:57 pm »
January 1980 List

1. Styx (no change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Journey (+1)
4. Led Zeppelin (-1)
5. Van Halen (+4)
6. Bob Seger (+1)
7. Foreigner (-2)
8. Rush (No change)
9. Aerosmith (-3)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Cars (+2)
12. Bad Company (-1)
13. Kansas (-1)
14. Steve Miller Band (+6)
15. Toto (+3)
16. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
17. Foghat (-3)
18. Eddie Money (New)
19. Moody Blues (-2)
20. Fleetwood Mac (-1)

New Vinyl/Tapes

Toto- Self Titled
Van Halen- II

A couple of classic tunes from Journey before little Stevie Perry's creative influences ruined the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QDuPb5Bm0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_qCnO_bLg&list=PLkWvfr9F9PvaJdShtDRsRQ0qzU70BvR70&index=8

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2022, 09:31:39 pm »
February 1980 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Toto (+11)
5. Led Zeppelin (-1)
6. Foreigner (No change)
8. Bob Seger (-2)
9. Rush (-1)
10. Aerosmith (-1)
11. Cars (No change)
12. Eagles (-2)
13. Kansas (No change)
14. Bad Comoany (-2)
15. Eddie Money (+3)
16. Steve Miller Band (-2)
17. Moody Blues (+2)
18. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-2)
19. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
20. Foghat (-3)

Vinyl/Tapes added

None

Concert: John Denver - February 24, 1980- Well sometimes you do things that your girl friend wants to do so........

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2022, 10:08:38 pm »
March and April 1980 list

1. Styx (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Neil Young (New)
5. Toto (-1)
6. Led Zeppelin (-1)
7. The Cars (+4)
8. Van Halen (-2)
9. Foreigner (-2)
10. Bob Seger (-2)
11. Rush (-2)
12. Aerosmith (-2)
13. Eagles (-1)
14. Eddie Money (No change)
15. The Babys (New)
16. Bad Company (-2)
17. Kansas (-4)
18. Fleetwood Mac (+1)

Vinyl/Tapes Added

None

Neil Young-. I find it odd and hilarious that NY shows up on the chronological list at the same time he becomes a laughing stock for staring down Spotify for the scraps and crumbs he might be making on downloads.  He's a relic, and thinking he has any relevance as voice in his left addled mind is pure folly.  Now days, I seldom listen to his whiny ass voice.  Tastes change that's for sure

But back at the subject at hand.  Way back in the day in a galaxy in time long ago, Neil was the closest thing to a rock poet laureate the business had since Bob Dylan.  I was fascinated with  his songwriting skills, and he was a tour de' force when he teamed up with Crazy Horse.  Always enigmatic, his career was a strange journey of ebbs and flows.  He has made among the greatest and worst albums of all time (Rust Never Sleeps vs. Everybody's Rocking).  Speaking of Everybody's Rocking......   When I saw NY in 1985, the concert and tour supporting this LP was the absolutley worst concert I have ever attended..... BY FAR!!!!   I felt violated when I left the arena. But you have to hand it to him in retrospect......   This is a guy who was part of Buffalo Springfield, played Woodstock, with Crosby Stills & Nash, Mega selling solo act in the '70's and '80's, and even used Pearl Jam as his back up band.  Picking one clip of NY is like throwing a pebble in the ocean, hoping to hit water.  Think I will go with this one.......  Just because it seems Neil has gotten rusty before he burnt out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhTbOCbvozI

The Babys- . Late '70's radio darlings that started out mostly as a straight out R & R band.  But like others they let the success move themselves toward the pop side.  In the grand scheme they were pretty forgettable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIL1GfBVxxg&list=PLtJK_InIjqtTv1GQqodrgvCiWq8lZyv6e&index=5
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:11:46 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2022, 11:47:31 pm »
1979 -  Led Zeppelin

In the Evening

All of My Love

Carouselambra

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2022, 11:55:26 pm »
1979  -  Pink Floyd

Young Lust

Comfortably Numb

The Show Must Go On / In the Flesh

Run Like Hell (Live, '94)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2022, 11:58:14 pm »
1979  -  Cheap Trick

The Dream Police (Live, '79)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2022, 12:31:51 am »
May 1980 list

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (+2)
3. Boston (-1)
4. Journey (-1)
5. Toto (No change)
6. Led Zeppelin (No change)
7. Cars (No change)
8. Eagles (+5)
9. Foreigner (No change)
10. Bob Seger (No change)
11. Rush (No change)
12. Aerosmith (No change)
13. Van Halen (-5)
14. Eddie Money (No change)
15. Fleetwood Mac (+3)
16. Bad Company (No change)
17. The Babys (-2)
18. Moody Blues (+2)
19. Kansas (-2)
20. Steve Miller Band (-1)

In about a year later Pre- MTv Dire Straits were getting ahead in the game, and put together a suite of videos on the Night Flight show on USA network in early 1981.  Making Movies was such a fine album,  and here are the 3 videos from that album that made up that suite....

I think I have them  in the right order, but I might be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC95MEenIxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcwl-Q7pAtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAirINwjaxE

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2022, 12:33:11 am »
1979  -  The Cars

Double Life (Live, '79)

Dangerous Type

Since I Held You

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2022, 12:38:44 am »
1979  -  Tom Petty, Damn the Torpedoes album

Don't Do Me Like That (Live)

Refugee

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2022, 03:03:58 am »
1979  -  Little Feat

Straight From the Heart

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2022, 06:24:28 am »
June 1980

1. Styx- (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Journey (+1)
4. Boston (-1)
5. Toto (No change)
6. Cars (+1)
7. Led Zeppelin (+1)
8. Eagles (No change)
9. Foreigner (No change)
10. Rush (+1)
11. Bob Seger (-1)
12. Eddie Money (-2)
13. Aerosmith (-1)
14. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
15. Van Halen (-2)
16. Queen (New)
17. Moody Blues (+1)
18. Bad Company (-2)
19. The Babys (-2)
20. Kansas (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes added- None

Concert- Kenny Loggins- June 22, 1980- Well sometimes you do things that your girl friend wants to do so........ (Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQgaHZOFZ0

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2022, 07:32:29 am »
July 1980 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (No change)
3. Journey (No change)
4. Boston (No change)
5. Toto (No change)
6. Led Zeppelin (+1)
7. Cars (-1)
8. Eagles (No change)
9. Rush (+1)
10. Eddie Money (+2)
11. Foreigner (-2)
12. Bob Seger (-1)
13. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
14. Queen (+2)
15. Chicago (New)
16. Aerosmith (-3)
17. Van Halen (-2)
18. Moody Blues (-1)
19. Bad Company (-1)
20. Kansas (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes Added- None

Memories about that time include how historically hot it was.  Lot's of indoor time, sipping drinks and listening to music.  Plenty of Jimmy Carter bashing too.

Tonight's gem...  A 1975 Don Kirschner Black Sabbath appearance.  Iommi is the reason my first electric guitar was a maroon SG just like this one.  The show had great song selection set, (Killing Yourself to Live, Hole in the Sky, Snowblind, War Pigs, and Paranoid).  Like I have mentioned, very few bands can claim that they singlely handed created a musical genre.  These guys can make that claim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX2aOie0Fys

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:33:23 am by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2022, 02:30:38 pm »
August 1980 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (+1)
3. Neil Young (-1)
4. Boston (No change)
5. Cars (+2)
7. Toto (-2)
8. Eagles (No change)
9. Eddie Money (+1)
10. Rush (-1)
11. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
12. Tom Petty (New)
13. Bob Seger (-1)
14. Rolling Stones (New)
15. Queen (-1)
16. Foreigner (-5)
17. Chicago (-2)
18. Moody Blues (No change)
19. Bad Company (No change)
20. Kansas (No change)

Vinyl/Tape added- None

Rolling Stones- Never really was a fan of the Stones, but no doubt they are among the biggest legends in rock of all time. They just weren't my kind of band.  So seeing this suddenly in my Top 20 list, was a  mystery to me.  But looking up their discography, and really reachng back for memories, I can remember a group of us, doing like a prehistoric rocker flash mob kind of act to the song "Shattered" at the clubs.  SHA-DOO-BEE!!!!!  SHA-DOO-BEE!!!     The strangeness of youth.  :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Y5J0ka4_k

As far as any serious discussion of them musically, or historically and its merits, I am probably not the one to lead the narrative. 

Tom Petty-. In my opinion, one of the all time greats.....  TP did not make a bad album.  I think Full Moon Fever is the best album of the '80's. And even today, is one of the acts that I listen to the most.  He blended great singer/songwriter stuff with a good dose of the Byrds to iconic levels. Campbell's underated riffs just added a level of cut.

Hard to go wrong with anything in his repertoire of work.  You could start with "Damn the Torepdoes", to as I mentioned "Full Moon Fever", to "Into the Great Wide Open" and beyond.  Petty is the one act that I most reget not being able to see.   As far as a sample?, too target rich of an environment.  Think I will go with what I feel is almost requiem-ist farewell from the master himself.  His passing left a gaping void in rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSvlJe1mwlw

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2022, 04:24:19 pm »
September 1980 List

1. Styx- (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
4. Cars (+1)
5. Boston (-1)
7. Toto (No change)
8. Eagles- (No change)
9. Tom Petty (+3)
10. Eddie Money (-1)
11. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
12. Off Broadway (New)
13. Pat Benetar (New)

14. Rush (-4)
15. Bob Seger (-2)
16. Queen (-1)
17. Foreigner (-1)
18. Rolling Stones (-4)
19. Moody Blues (-1)
20. Chicago (-3)

Vinyl/Tapes added- None...  In fact, a few months earlier I guess I had stopped documenting additons. This will be the last installment.

Off Broadway- . I mentioned in the beginning of this thread that there may be some obscure acts, and this one is about as obscure as it gets.  According to wiki, none of their albums even charted in the Top 100, which is quite a shock since this band had some really good New Wave chops at the time. Maybe it was a case of luck being more important than being good.  Glad I regurgitated this thing, because I pretty much had forgotten these guys.  Sure, they aren't as good as  The Cars or The Police, but sure didn't deserve anonymity.   Here are some  good tracks from album that I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfNNp0Y7CKg&list=PLvbBpVD4ndxNU0n8RstpdVd_qpYZJeJ1G&index=5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b0Q_xCopZY&list=PLvbBpVD4ndxNU0n8RstpdVd_qpYZJeJ1G&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzrzPegDrOg&list=PLvbBpVD4ndxNU0n8RstpdVd_qpYZJeJ1G&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MlGpbuB8nY&list=PLvbBpVD4ndxNU0n8RstpdVd_qpYZJeJ1G&index=3

Pat Benetar- Not obscure  :cool: , and my favorite female artist.  I don't know what Ms. Benetar's octave  range is, but I do know she had operatic trainging, and IMO had the best voice of all women.  Her and her band started rocking hard, but like many others went in a more pop direction as her success grew.  In her case, it worked well, and I didn't mind because she did all so well. She was very listenable her entire main recording career.  For kind of bookmark samples, I am adding a rocking John Cougar Mellencamp cover, and "We Live for Love".....  And latter  the highly melodic tune..."We Belong".   The last two really provide a great example of the incredible range this woman has.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoGwWte7am0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86o_QuMt3SE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZInIyOBXk

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2022, 07:26:33 pm »
October 1980 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (+1)
3. Neil Young (-1)
4. Cars (No change)
5. Boston (No change)
6. Toto (+1)
7. Led Zeppelin (-1)
8. Tom Petty (+1)
9. Fleetwood Mac (+2)
10. Eagles (-2)
11. Off Broadway (+1)
12. Pat Benetar (+1)
13. Eddie Money (-4)
14. Kinks (New)
15. Rush (-1)
16. Bob Seger (-1)
17. Foreigner (No change)
18. Queen (-2)
19. Moody Blues (No change)
20. Rolling Stones (-2)

Kinks- Since the '60's were about a couple of decade digits in the past now, guess I was getting some trendy nostaliga tastes at the time.  The Kinks were a big element of the original British invasion, and surely deserve their place in history.  I think at the time, I bought the "One for the Road" live album which gave a pretty decent rundown of their fine history of hits.  Any '60's-phile has got to have some Kinks in their collection.

Here is the song that was getting air play in '80 that got me interested.....  New Wave feel, when the guys played that way quite a bit all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ql_m-4jdZE

Concert-- ZZ Top October 30, 1980 Price on Stub- $8.50-. Another great show, that easily went 3-4 hours  Gibbons took a buch of his classics and went into long expressive blues licks. that shredded them like all get out.  I know Dusty is gone, but I recommend anyone who can to attend a show.  It will be worth your while.  If you are a Texan, and haven't seen them......   turn your Texas Card in ASAP.   :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7d8BYJy8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN69GC2amTg

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 07:29:23 pm by catfish1957 »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:55 pm »
November 1980 List

1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Cars (No change)
5. Boston (No change)
6. Tom Petty (+2)
7. Led Zeppelin (No change)
8. Toto ((-2)
9. Pat Benetar (+3)
10. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
11. Eagles (-1)
12. Kinks (+2)
13. Queen (+5)
14. Rush (+1)
15. Off Broadway (-4)
16. Bob Seger (No change)
17. Eddie Money (-4)
18. Foreigner (-1)
19. Moody Blues (No change)
20. Rolling Stones (No change)

Say we keep the theme going with Don Kirschner.    Before Robert Palmer was singing in front of hot robotic chicks, he did some light straight forward rock and roll. Interest schtick....  Look like everyone else in the crowd.  :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-dO3JFR920