Author Topic: Obituaries for 2022  (Read 64975 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Obituaries for 2022
« Reply #700 on: November 02, 2022, 06:57:18 pm »
Talk about unhinged cult worshipping at the statist altar...
The Republic is lost.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #701 on: November 02, 2022, 07:05:41 pm »
Julie Powell, Food Writer Known for ‘Julie & Julia,’ Dies at 49

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/01/dining/julie-powell-dead.html

"I have never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #702 on: November 02, 2022, 07:07:32 pm »
"I have never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

:thumbsup:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #703 on: November 03, 2022, 09:30:16 pm »
Legendary Raiders Punter Ray Guy Dead At 73

Legendary Raiders punter Ray Guy passed away at 72 on Thursday, his alma mater Southern Mississippi University announced.

He passed away in the morning, according to CBS Sports...

...Guy was a key component of three Raiders Super Bowl championship teams, His most famous play came in Super Bowl XVIII, where he made a 40-plus-yard punt and saved the team from a potential Commanders touchdown. His team won 38-9, according to CBS Sports.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/11/03/legendary-nfl-player-dead-73/

-----------

Loved to watch that dude punt. Seen him kick it so high one time in an indoor stadium it looked like it was going to hit the roof. Can't tell you how many times he saved the Raiders by kicking the ball out of the hole they dug themselves in.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #704 on: November 03, 2022, 10:31:54 pm »

Legendary Raiders punter Ray Guy passed away at 72 on Thursday, his alma mater Southern Mississippi University announced.

He passed away in the morning, according to CBS Sports...

...Guy was a key component of three Raiders Super Bowl championship teams, His most famous play came in Super Bowl XVIII, where he made a 40-plus-yard punt and saved the team from a potential Commanders touchdown. His team won 38-9, according to CBS Sports.

https://dailycaller.com/2022/11/03/legendary-nfl-player-dead-73/

-----------

Loved to watch that dude punt. Seen him kick it so high one time in an indoor stadium it looked like it was going to hit the roof. Can't tell you how many times he saved the Raiders by kicking the ball out of the hole they dug themselves in.

@Free Vulcan

I generally consider football to be about as exciting as taking a nap,but the old Oakland Raiders were an exception. You just NEVER knew from one moment to the next what they were going to do. I have see a Raider get pulled out of the line for a 15 yard "unneccessary roughness" violation,and everybody on the Raiders bench congratulate him,including John Madden.

BUT......,when Madden was having a bad day,you had to look hard to find a Raider standing within 50 feet of him.

THESE guys played to win,period.

BTW,anybody else remember that game against the Broncho's in Mile High Stadium,where the Broncho coaching staff accussed Ray Guy of pumping up the football with helium?

Madden looked like he was going to explode until a ref told him why the delay was called,and then his face lit up with the joy you would expect to see on an 8 year old on Christmas morning.

I always got the feeling he was a little jealous that it had never occurred to him to use helium on a kickoff or field goal.

I had stopped at a 7-11 across the street from Mile High Stadium one Saturday to get gas,and the Raiders were having training practice. Madden was standing inside eating an ice cream cone,when a Mexican-American boy maybe 8 or 10 years old walked inside,spotted him,and screamed "DIE,FAT MAN!"

Madden was thrilled. His whole face lit up in a big smile.

He was actually a very nice man under normal circumstances,but you did NOT want to get near him when the Raiders were losing.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:39:57 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #705 on: November 03, 2022, 11:03:12 pm »

... His most famous play came in Super Bowl XVIII, where he made a 40-plus-yard punt and saved the team from a potential Commanders touchdown. His team won 38-9, according to CBS Sports.

Hmm, Wikipedia says that in Super Bowl XVIII, the Raiders beat the Washington Redskins, 38-9.  I have no idea who these "Commanders" would have been.   *****rollingeyes*****

By the way, the linked article mentions that Guy was picked 23rd overall in the 1973 draft. What it doesn't mention is that he was the first round pick of the Raiders that year, pretty much unheard of for a punter.
Let it burn.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #706 on: November 04, 2022, 07:42:01 pm »
Longtime Washington [Redskins] defensive lineman Dave Butz dies at 72

Michael David Smith  |  November 4, 2022  |  12:22 PM EDT

Dave Butz, a massive defensive tackle who played 16 seasons in the NFL, has died at the age of 72.

The 6-foot-7, 291-pound Butz was the heaviest player in the NFL when he arrived as the fifth overall pick in the 1973 NFL draft, and he would make an enormous impact throughout his NFL career.

Originally drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals, Butz and his agent staged a holdout throughout training camp and the preseason before finally signing a highly unusual rookie contract that was structured as a series of one-year contracts. That decision would loom large over his NFL future.

After playing well as a rookie in 1973, Butz suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first game of 1974. Then in 1975, as a result of that highly unusual rookie contract, NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle ruled that Butz was a free agent, but that any team signing him would have to send fair compensation to the Cardinals.

Butz ended up signing a contract with Washington [Redskins], and Rozelle ruled that fair compensation for a player of Butz’s talents was two first-round picks and a second-round pick, so that’s what Washington had to send to St. Louis.

It was worth it: Butz became the centerpiece of Washington [Redskins]’s defensive line for years to come. He won two Super Bowl rings in Washington, was a first-team All-Pro, and was named to the NFL’s 1980s All-Decade Team.

Wrote the legendary sportswriter Jim Murray, “It’s either Butz or the Washington Monument, the two most prominent edifices in the nation’s capital.”  .  .

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/04/longtime-washington-defensive-lineman-dave-butz-dies-at-72/

The writer was too chickenshit to put the word "Redskins" anywhere in the article.  Dave Butz was a legend and a mainstay in the Redskins' defensive line.  He deserves better than this PC bullshit obit.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #707 on: November 04, 2022, 07:51:55 pm »
First Guy, now Butz. All the childhood favorites are going away.

Add: I remember alot of big plays by him, and the announcers would go wild, mainly I think because he had a great football name for a defensive lineman, something that sounded like they pulled him from a meat packing plant in Kenosha, and was pronounced like butts for that Beavis and Butthead effect.

And you never said Dave Butz. It was Dave Butz! like a drill sargeant.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:24:27 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online rustynail

Offline verga

« Reply #709 on: November 09, 2022, 02:19:55 am »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #710 on: November 09, 2022, 04:18:47 am »
Alabama practically reinvented country music in their heyday. Kind of country you feel in your bones.

RIP and thanks for the music Mr. Cook.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #711 on: November 11, 2022, 04:26:08 pm »
Comedian Gallagher Dead at 76

Comedian Gallagher, famously known for smashing watermelons as part of his legendary act, has died ... his longtime manager tells TMZ.

Gallagher died while under hospice care in the Palm Springs area early Friday morning, TMZ has learned. His manager tells TMZ Gallagher died of massive organ failure. He had been in ill health for a while, suffering numerous heart attacks over the years.

The rep tells TMZ, "Gallagher stayed on the road touring America for decades. He was pretty sure he held a record for the most stand-up dates, by attrition alone," adding, "While Gallagher had his detractors, he was an undeniable talent and an American success story."

Gallagher started working as a comedian after college ... getting his big break after appearing on Johnny Carson's 'Tonight Show' back in 1975 ... showing off his prop humor and quickly becoming one of the most popular and recognizable comedians in America.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/comedian-gallagher-dead-dies-watermelon/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #712 on: November 11, 2022, 05:21:50 pm »
RIP, funny guy.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #713 on: November 11, 2022, 05:28:44 pm »
Comedian Gallagher Dead at 76

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/11/comedian-gallagher-dead-dies-watermelon/

Saw him maybe 20 or so years ago.  We were three rows behind the raincoat / plastic tarp zone.  Should have been several rows further back.  Clothes got sticky, and remember having to clean my truck seats.

Was a funny show though.  RIP.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2022, 05:34:19 pm »
Kevin Conroy, iconic voice of Batman, dead at 66

Kevin Conroy, who famously voiced Batman in multiple TV shows, has died at the age of 66.

The star’s death was confirmed Friday by Diane Pershing, a voice actress who worked alongside Conroy on multiple projects.

Cancer has been reported as the cause of death.

Conroy started voicing Batman/ Bruce Wayne in “Batman: The Animated Series,” which ran from 1992- 1995. His distinct, gravelly voice soon became synonymous with the cartoon character, whom he went on to voice in various other projects over the following two-plus decades.

Excerpted, more at the link: https://nypost.com/2022/11/11/kevin-conroy-iconic-voice-of-batman-dead-at-66/

One of my favorite Batman moments, from "Justice League Unlimited", and voiced by Kevin Conroy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWqu2fw9Rak
Let it burn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2022, 05:36:25 pm »
Alabama practically reinvented country music in their heyday. Kind of country you feel in your bones.

RIP and thanks for the music Mr. Cook.

@Free Vulcan

"Play me some mountain music.........."
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2022, 05:54:15 pm »
RIP, funny guy.

Yeah sorry he's dead but he ruined my opinion of him some forty years ago when he was the entertainment at a convention and a number of us went up to him after the show to ask for an autograph(why else was he mingling with us?) and he told us in a really snotty manner that the T shirts that the company paid for were his autograph and to bascally 'piss off'.

He was funny and all but......

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #717 on: November 12, 2022, 09:04:40 pm »

Keith Levene: The Clash guitarist and founding member dies aged 65

Keith Levene, a founding member of The Clash and later guitarist for Public Image Ltd, has died aged 65, his close friend has said.

Author Adam Hammond said Levene, who died on Friday, was one of the most influential guitarists of all time.

Levene founded The Clash with Mick Jones in the 1970s but left before they became successful.

He then joined Public Image Limited, the post-punk band set up by John Lydon after he left the Sex Pistols.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63611757
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #718 on: November 12, 2022, 09:06:13 pm »

Keith Levene: The Clash guitarist and founding member dies aged 65

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63611757

"Author Adam Hammond said Levene, who died on Friday, was one of the most influential guitarists of all time."

Not hardly....  But RIP anyway.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #719 on: November 16, 2022, 11:51:09 pm »
Robert Clary, Holocaust Survivor and 'Hogan's Heroes' Star, Dies at 96
Raquel "Rocky" Harris - 50m ago

Longtime French actor, singer and Holocaust survivor Robert Clary, known for his lead role in "Hogan's Heroes," has died at age 96.
Clary died Wednesday morning in his Los Angeles home, his granddaughter, Kim Wright, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Clary -- named Robert Max Widerman at birth -- was born March 1, 1926, in France and forced into internment in a Nazi concentration camp as a child. At age 27, he moved to United States to pursue his career.

Clary is most notable for his role as Corporal Louis LeBeau on the World War II-centered sitcom "Hogan's Heroes." Before his death, Clary was the last living cast member from the series' original principal cast.  ... MSN

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #720 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:23 am »

Longtime French actor, singer and Holocaust survivor Robert Clary, known for his lead role in "Hogan's Heroes," has died at age 96.
Clary died Wednesday morning in his Los Angeles home, his granddaughter, Kim Wright, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Clary -- named Robert Max Widerman at birth -- was born March 1, 1926, in France and forced into internment in a Nazi concentration camp as a child. At age 27, he moved to United States to pursue his career.

Clary is most notable for his role as Corporal Louis LeBeau on the World War II-centered sitcom "Hogan's Heroes." Before his death, Clary was the last living cast member from the series' original principal cast.  ... MSN

RIP.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #721 on: November 17, 2022, 01:28:07 am »

I thought he was good in the role. That was a fun show, even if the real camps were far different (and much more brutal). Most of those hijinx would have bought a bullet from the guards.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #722 on: November 17, 2022, 01:46:41 am »
I thought he was good in the role. That was a fun show, even if the real camps were far different (and much more brutal). Most of those hijinx would have bought a bullet from the guards.
The story has it, that the largely Jewish cast that served as the Germans in that show were adamant that they be portrayed as bumbling, incompetent fools that would never win. It was their act of revenge on the Nazis, that they would be remembered as a bunch of idiots.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #723 on: November 17, 2022, 02:07:05 am »
Georgia House Speaker Ralston dies following extended illness

Dave Williams | Nov 16, 2022 | Capitol Beat News Service

https://capitol-beat.org/2022/11/georgia-house-speaker-ralston-dies-following-extended-illness/

This is fantastic news.  It would be the equivalent of Mitch McConnell dying on the national scale.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

« Reply #724 on: November 17, 2022, 04:26:43 am »

Wasn't his character known as Frenchy or am I thinking of something else? The entire series is available on DVD. I hope to find the time to watch it again.