Author Topic: Football season thread - Fall 2021 🏈  (Read 2823 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Football season thread - Fall 2021 🏈
« on: September 11, 2021, 05:06:44 pm »

The Briefing Room's 2021 Football Season Discussion Thread
Discuss college, professional, or any other American football from this season here.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Re: Football season thread - Fall 2021 🏈
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 06:26:52 am »
Nomination for upset of the year so far... Jacksonville State over Florida State yesterday. What an ending.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline MikePence

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 04:35:39 am »
I believe it is going a great year from my eagles! If things go excellent, We are going all the way. As well, my Flyers and Sixers, those teams will be feeding off one another. It would be awesome if all three were champions in 22!
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 03:25:05 am »
Well, the New York Times apparently dug up a bunch of old e-mails from Las Vegas Raiders Jon Gruden expressing opinions the Times doesn't like and now he's out of a job.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 12:38:45 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 12:48:15 am »
@jmyrlefuller

IMNSHO, members here don't give a damn about professional sports.

@EasyAce spent countless hours writing beautiful pieces about baseball and despite what he said was the reason he left the forum, I'm sure it was in part because NOBODY engaged.

After a helluva exciting week of NFL games, what has anybody posted?   NADA...ZILCH!

The Buffalo Bills kicked Mahomes' ass!  The changing of the guard in the AFL.  Lamar Jackson and Wentz gave us over 1,000 yards in combined offense as the Ravens score 22 unanswered points to win in overtime.

John Gruden resigns as head coach of the Las Vegas RAIDERS for decade-plus emails between he and a close friend.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 12:56:27 am »
Nomination for upset of the year so far... Jacksonville State over Florida State yesterday. What an ending.

I bet they were running naked through the streets of Jacksonville after that one.  That ain't too far from your house, is it @Sighlass ?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:39 am »
@jmyrlefuller

IMNSHO, members here don't give a damn about professional sports.

@EasyAce spent countless hours writing beautiful pieces about baseball and despite what he said was the reason he left the forum, I'm sure it was in part because NOBODY engaged.

After a helluva exciting week of NFL games, what has anybody posted?   NADA...ZILCH!

The Buffalo Bills kicked Mahomes' ass!  The changing of the guard in the AFL.  Lamar Jackson and Wentz gave us over 1,000 yards in combined offense as the Ravens score 22 unanswered points to win in overtime.

John Gruden resigns as head coach of the Las Vegas RAIDERS for decade-plus emails between he and a close friend.
I'm loving seeing the Bills be successful. Really, there's a lot of young talent coming up in the NFL pipeline right now. This year's class hasn't done so well thus far, but you look at the Chargers and Justin Herbert, and some of the other kids working their way in, and the AFC is going to be strong for a very long time. (Though I can't believe Bill Belichick made such a grievous miscalculation getting suckered into picking an Alabama quarterback given their long track record of mediocrity the past decade or so.)

As for your assessment of the board's reaction to sport... you have a point, and I think that ever since the whole Kaepernick snafu, that plays a big role in it. Try to post a sports thread and you'll get a dozen "Guess who doesn't watch any (insert league of choice here) and has two thumbs? This guy!" replies. That's part of the reason why I use running threads here, so that I don't end up cluttering the board with a bunch of posts with zero replies. That, and most of the time my writing is a lot more succinct than EasyAce's!  :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 09:04:56 am »
I'm loving seeing the Bills be successful. Really, there's a lot of young talent coming up in the NFL pipeline right now. This year's class hasn't done so well thus far, but you look at the Chargers and Justin Herbert, and some of the other kids working their way in, and the AFC is going to be strong for a very long time. (Though I can't believe Bill Belichick made such a grievous miscalculation getting suckered into picking an Alabama quarterback given their long track record of mediocrity the past decade or so.)

As for your assessment of the board's reaction to sport... you have a point, and I think that ever since the whole Kaepernick snafu, that plays a big role in it. Try to post a sports thread and you'll get a dozen "Guess who doesn't watch any (insert league of choice here) and has two thumbs? This guy!" replies. That's part of the reason why I use running threads here, so that I don't end up cluttering the board with a bunch of posts with zero replies. That, and most of the time my writing is a lot more succinct than EasyAce's!  :laugh:

@jmyrlefuller

My son recently purchased a box of football cards for $550.  (Yeah...stupid, huh?)

Inside was Justin Herbert's ROOKIE CARD.  He hurriedly placed it in a safe deposit box, as it's already worth about $18K.

...says he's going to pay for some college educations for his children.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 02:30:22 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

My son recently purchased a box of football cards for $550.  (Yeah...stupid, huh?)

Inside was Justin Herbert's ROOKIE CARD.  He hurriedly placed it in a safe deposit box, as it's already worth about $18K.

...says he's going to pay for some college educations for his children.

You can get a Tom Brady rookie card for less than that.  If someone is offering $18K, I would sell that bad boy in an instant.  Justin Hebert could end up being another Heath Schuler.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 02:34:09 pm »
You can get a Tom Brady rookie card for less than that.  If someone is offering $18K, I would sell that bad boy in an instant.  Justin Hebert could end up being another Heath Schuler.

I remember the early 90's insanity with cards.  I won an unopened box at a card show (1993?) of some premium cards in a drawing.  A couple of dealers there offered $200 on the spot for the box.  Should have taken it, because not too long ago, I saw that same box that sits in the top of a closet is now going for $10.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2021, 12:55:22 am »
Richard Sherman leaves tonight's game in 1st quarter vs. Tom Brady's Buccaneers...hamstring.

Call me skeptical, because Antonio Brown and Tom Brady were 'killing' him on national TV.

BUCS up 14-7 at end of 1st quarter.

Offline MikePence

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 02:28:56 pm »
My eagles are disappointing me!  9999hair out0000
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 03:37:38 am »
I'm just going to leave this here:

Tonight, in NFL THURSDAY NITE FOOTBALL, it was an exhibit of why legalized gambling on professional sports/games should NOT be allowed.

No damned way should the Packer be screwed on the goal line touchdown...then to see the quickly called 1st down inside the Packer 10 yard line in the waning seconds.  They should have at least verified the placement, etc..

But, sweet justice prevailed.   Go Green Bay!!

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 01:17:52 pm »
I'm just going to leave this here:

Tonight, in NFL THURSDAY NITE FOOTBALL, it was an exhibit of why legalized gambling on professional sports/games should NOT be allowed.

@DCPatriot

Did you happen to see the end of the Clemson-Florida St game last Saturday?  Clemson was giving up 9½ points.

With four seconds left, Clemson has only a four point lead, and Florida State has the ball:

At the very end with no time left on the clock, the Florida State player pushes the Clemson defender into the end zone with the ball, putting Clemson up by 10.  Clemson covers.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 01:26:16 pm »
@DCPatriot

Did you happen to see the end of the Clemson-Florida St game last Saturday?  Clemson was giving up 9½ points.

With four seconds left, Clemson has only a four point lead, and Florida State has the ball:

At the very end with no time left on the clock, the Florida State player pushes the Clemson defender into the end zone with the ball, putting Clemson up by 10.  Clemson covers.

@Hoodat

WOW!!   Shaking my head...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 02:12:43 am »
Who wants to disagree with the notion that the absence of Aaron Rodgers was the only reason the Kansas City Chiefs won this afternoon?

OTOH... I watched the ENTIRETY of the most pathetic excuse for an NFL game ever presented in the past 3 years...The BILLS losing to the 1-6 JAQUERS at a score of 9-6.

The BILLS were penalized...stopped counting at 11 penalties for 109 yards...there was still about 7 minutes remaining.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 04:52:42 am »
Today was a fun day of football.

I think the penalty flags outscored the Raiders and Cowboys. (EDIT: Not quite—Raiders 36, Cowboys 33, Penalty Flags 28.)

The Lions, doing just enough to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against the Bears.

And the Bills, 0-3 against the AFC South but 7-1 against everyone else, make a statement against an injury-riddled Saints.

Plus I caught a few good high school matchups too, including the annual Baltimore contest (an offensive shootout) and a Lehigh Valley contest (which was a gritty, old-school, ground-and-pound kind of game). Both were a lot higher quality of football than I was expecting for high school ball.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:43:01 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 08:53:07 pm »
College football fans note: Jim Harbaugh got the monkey off his back this year—he beat Ohio State.

Harbaugh's always gotten more crap than any other college coach I've seen... so it's nice to see a little shakeup atop the Big Ten.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 06:30:20 pm »
College Football Playoff: Alabama, Michigan, Georgia and Cincinnati make the playoff field

Nick Bromberg  |  December 5, 2021, 12:27 PM

The College Football Playoff selection committee didn’t have any surprises for us on Sunday.

Alabama, Michigan, Georgia, and Cincinnati are the four teams that will play in the College Football Playoff. No. 1 seed Alabama will play No. 4 seed Cincinnati in the Cotton Bowl while No. 2 seed Michigan will play No. 3 seed Georgia in the Orange Bowl.

Alabama (12-1) got the top seed with a 41-24 win over Georgia in the SEC championship game. The Tide entered the weekend at No. 3 and needed to beat No. 1 Georgia to stay in the top four. The win was extremely convincing and locked out two of the playoff spots for the SEC. The victory came as Alabama entered a game as an underdog for the first time since 2015.

Georgia (12-1) fell behind Michigan (12-1) after the Wolverines dominated Iowa, 42-3, in the Big Ten championship game. There was no question about who the best team in Indianapolis was on Saturday night and a Michigan vs. Georgia semifinal will be a spicy game. Both teams love to dominate the line of scrimmage and move the ball with powerful running games.

Cincinnati (13-0) is the first non-Power Five team to make a playoff since the four-team format was introduced in 2014.  .  .  .

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-alabama-michigan-georgia-and-cincinnati-make-the-playoff-field-172718479.html

I agree on the final four teams, but do not agree with the final rankings.  It should have been:

• Michigan
  • Alabama
  • Cincinnati
  • Georgia

The semi-final matches would line up the same.  But Cincinnati should not have fallen a spot for winning soundly.  And Michigan should have moved up a spot after Georgia's loss.

Predictions:  Alabama beats Cinci.  Georgia beats Michigan.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 09:23:10 pm »
It's amazing that a team that faced an ugly loss to Texas A&M, and essentially tied a five-loss team in Auburn, is enough to be considered the highest-ranked team in college football. But at least Cincinnati gets in, which is better than UCF got a few years back.

I'm definitely rooting for the Bearcats and the Wolverines to make it to the championship. The Wolverines because Jim Harbaugh's a much better coach than he gets credit for being (even though my sympathies are more toward Penn State—hey, Buckeye haters have to stick together!), and if he can get a Super Bowl berth with Colin Kaepernick of all players as his QB, he's got to be worth something.

I still wish Georgia had won, though. That would've added some intrigue to the fourth and final seed, and ensured an entirely fresh set of teams. But alas, we get stuck with 'Bama again.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 09:45:46 pm »
If Georgia had beaten BAMA, then Notre Dame would have been the 4th seed and played Georgia in Round 1, with Michigan going against Cincinnati.  But then Notre Dame has no business being in a bowl.

I've heard a lot of ragging on both Georgia and Alabama.  Yet both schedules include four games against Top-25 opponents, while Michigan has but three.

Haters gonna hate, but I'm an SEC fan all the way.  As much as I hate Georgia, I'm pulling for them bigtime over Michigan.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 03:27:27 pm »
Not saying that it's happening at this time, but...

What if the huge betting companies in Vegas and online had a 'THING' going where they could manipulate the odds of any game by using the covid-testing protocol?

Suddenly having a key player or three ineligible...

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 03:44:00 pm »
Not saying that it's happening at this time, but...

What if the huge betting companies in Vegas and online had a 'THING' going where they could manipulate the odds of any game by using the covid-testing protocol?

Suddenly having a key player or three ineligible...

From the "who saw that coming" department......When the NFL allowed a team to relocate to Vegas. ....   :thud:

Like letting a 500 pound man to live inside a bakery.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2022, 11:40:46 pm »
Controversy in the RAIDERS/BENGALS game on a touchdown by the Bengals.  Whistle blew and the play should have been called dead.

This referee crew is terrible.

Now they're obviously trying to make things 'right' by giving the Raiders the benefit of any doubt on subsequent plays.

Not cool.