Author Topic: Rod Dreher: Why Are Conservatives In Despair?  (Read 1257 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rod Dreher: Why Are Conservatives In Despair?
« on: April 24, 2021, 02:19:13 pm »
April 23, 2021|

10:42 am
Rod Dreher

As many of you know, David Brooks and I are friends. I can tell you that it’s hard to find a more generous and decent man anywhere. That’s really true, and that, besides my innate loyalty to friends, is why I ball up my internal fist whenever I hear people criticize him harshly. And it’s why I’m not going to publish any comments on this blog that criticize him personally (as distinct from criticizing his ideas). But I also recognize that David is dispositionally and convictionally more liberal than I am, and far more optimist about the way of the world. This is a preface to say that his column today is halfway about me and people like me.

It starts like this:

Those of us who had hoped America would calm down when we no longer had Donald Trump spewing poison from the Oval Office have been sadly disabused. There are increasing signs that the Trumpian base is radicalizing. My Republican friends report vicious divisions in their churches and families. Republican politicians who don’t toe the Trump line are speaking of death threats and menacing verbal attacks.

It’s as if the Trump base felt some security when their man was at the top, and that’s now gone. Maybe Trump was the restraining force.

What’s happening can only be called a venomous panic attack. Since the election, large swathes of the Trumpian right have decided America is facing a crisis like never before and they are the small army of warriors fighting with Alamo-level desperation to ensure the survival of the country as they conceive it.

The first important survey data to understand this moment is the one pollster Kristen Soltis Anderson discussed with my colleague Ezra Klein. When asked in late January if politics is more about “enacting good public policy” or “ensuring the survival of the country as we know it,” 51 percent of Trump Republicans said survival; only 19 percent said policy.

The level of Republican pessimism is off the charts. A February Economist-YouGov poll asked Americans which statement is closest to their view: “It’s a big, beautiful world, mostly full of good people, and we must find a way to embrace each other and not allow ourselves to become isolated” or “Our lives are threatened by terrorists, criminals and illegal immigrants, and our priority should be to protect ourselves.”

Over 75 percent of Biden voters chose “a big, beautiful world.” Two-thirds of Trump voters chose “our lives are threatened.”

This level of catastrophism, nearly despair, has fed into an amped-up warrior mentality.

“The decent know that they must become ruthless. They must become the stuff of nightmares,” Jack Kerwick writes in the Trumpian magazine American Greatness. “The good man must spare not a moment to train, in both body and mind, to become the monster that he may need to become in order to slay the monsters that prey upon the vulnerable.”

more
https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/why-are-conservatives-in-despair/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Rod Dreher: Why Are Conservatives In Despair?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 03:51:34 pm »
Brooks was, is and will remain an idiot.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 05:07:12 pm »
I share the pessimism of Dreher and other conservatives who say the country is going downhill.
But who is chiefly responsible for the developing disaster? The answer: liberal women, especially liberal white women.
Women should  never have been given the vote. That demographic is tearing the country down.  The millions of good conservative women do not make up for the many millions more liberal women who are ignorant and anti-American.
Reading the bios of major American female Hollywood stars from half a century ago and more, I'm always surprised to read of how many were strong Republicans.
Now finding a conservative female Hollywood star is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
Unless things change radically, we're doomed.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 05:23:42 pm »
Over 75 percent of Biden voters chose “a big, beautiful world.” Two-thirds of Trump voters chose “our lives are threatened.”

What unmitigated bullshit.

100% of the recorded 75+ million votes for the President's reelection were because he earned another term.  He kept his word to put America First on all fronts .... and in spite of the obstacles from the McConnell/McCarthy Republicans, he did so.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 05:26:27 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 05:27:32 pm »
Rod Dreher: Why Are Conservatives In Despair?

Because it's their natural emotional state?

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 05:38:16 pm »

If any voters were driven by debased motivations, it would have been the Biden voters.  They were driven by their sheer irrational hatred of Trump, which is probably the biggest single factor that drove Democrat turnout.

I have more than one moderate Republican friend whose deep hatred of Trump was so strong, they voted Biden.  One in particular could point to no particular policies he found outrageous, but hated Trump's "style" and "divisiveness."  I wonder what they are thinking now, and we are barely 100 days into American Bolshevism unlike anything in my lifetime.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 05:39:05 pm »
How ridiculous - I am in no despair. In fact, I am looking forward to a loooong summer, full of fishing!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 05:45:46 pm »
How ridiculous - I am in no despair. In fact, I am looking forward to a loooong summer, full of fishing!

I'm not despairing either.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2021, 05:48:40 pm »
Sure, let's say 75% of the Biden votes were from idiots believing unicorns poop rainbows.

The remaining 25% of the Biden votes were imaginary.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2021, 05:54:14 pm »

I'm having fun right now... Brand new 10x10 tarp for the go-bag, Soon a new poncho and woobie too... Converting my onboard electronics to USB rechargeable (dropping AA), and my new doghouse for the pickup is designed, and I am fixin to purchase and build. And I should have a cabin up in the holler by the end of the summer.

I am having a great time, other than the pain and misery of putting my body back together again.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2021, 05:58:31 pm »

If any voters were driven by debased motivations, it would have been the Biden voters.  They were driven by their sheer irrational hatred of Trump, which is probably the biggest single factor that drove Democrat turnout.

I have more than one moderate Republican friend whose deep hatred of Trump was so strong, they voted Biden.  One in particular could point to no particular policies he found outrageous, but hated Trump's "style" and "divisiveness."  I wonder what they are thinking now, and we are barely 100 days into American Bolshevism unlike anything in my lifetime.

Actually, democrat "voters" didn't have to turn out or even be alive to be counted.  Please factor this truth into the age-old kneejerk about what drove democrat turnout.  2020 was not your father's election @massadvj

Just curious, were your "moderate Republican friends" from academia?

Offline Absalom

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 06:11:28 pm »
The essence of Principled Conservatism is an array of Precepts governing the
behavior of Man, applying logic and reason to Natural Law, birthed w/Mankind.
* It has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do w/structured Religion which it pre-dates by many
centuries; for example Plato identified/defined the Soul of Man 400 years
before the existence of Christ and Roman Catholicism, in his Republic! FACT!
* It has N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do w/Economics, a modern fad, and never did!!!
* And most emphatically, it has absolutely N-0-T-H-I-N-G to do w/Politics, the
enduring neurosis of we moderns who insist "we are the greatest ever," while we
embarrass ourselves every moment of our existence w/ our compulsive brainlessness.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:58:05 pm by Absalom »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 07:37:56 pm »
Actually, democrat "voters" didn't have to turn out or even be alive to be counted.  Please factor this truth into the age-old kneejerk about what drove democrat turnout.  2020 was not your father's election @massadvj

Just curious, were your "moderate Republican friends" from academia?

The one i am referring to in the post was an accounting professor.

I agree that the election was tainted.  I can't say for sure whether Trump would have won or not.  Here in Pennsylvania, for example, most Republicans think that the fraud was significant, but not decisive.  On the other hand, the rules of the election allowed the Democrats to harvest votes in a way they had only dreamed of before.  You give them three weeks to get out the vote instead of 12 hours, and they have the organization to do it.  The rules changes were the decisive factor, not fraud.

We have only ourselves to blame for that, since the state legislature adopted most of the changes, and both houses are decisively GOP controlled.  The PA Supreme Court did stick its nose in, but the fundamental changes allowing massive mail-in ballots were initiated by the Republicans.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 08:11:25 pm »
What unmitigated bullshit.

100% of the recorded 75+ million votes for the President's reelection were because he earned another term.  He kept his word to put America First on all fronts .... and in spite of the obstacles from the McConnell/McCarthy Republicans, he did so.

:bingo:  Closer to 100 million votes.  I SEE the PLUS sign,  I agree.  Votes thrown away aren't being counted.   

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 08:12:20 pm »
Conservatives are in despair because INSANE LIBERALS.....are in charge.   That should be obvious by now.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 08:15:58 pm »

Everything you wrote is WRONG. I can't even take the time to correct it all.  Amazing.  THERE IS SOME TRUMP ENVY. 
DEMON-RATS...did not vote.  Massive voter fraud. Where you been? 

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 06:52:01 pm »
The one i am referring to in the post was an accounting professor.

I agree that the election was tainted.  I can't say for sure whether Trump would have won or not. 

I watched 100,000 votes for Trump disappear in plain sight right here in the Commonwealth of Virginia @massadvj .  I witnessed the monkey business in real time on Nov 3/4 in six additional states.  President Trump had won a decisive reelection right before the "counting stopped" and the totals reimmerged with the President having less votes than before "the pause" and the programed fraud was applied --- for days, not just hours.

I think it's time to put the onus on you and your ilk to prove to ME this massive, multi-frontal fraud in six states (7 including Virginia) did not cheat this nation out of it's rightful President.  So, take off the blinders, put down the pipe, take off the smoking jacket, roll up your sleeves and do some meaningful research.  Start with the Election 2020 Section right here in Briefer City ... and the legal updates segregated by state.  Pay attention to the videos of the state and national committee hearings. 

Here in Pennsylvania, for example, most Republicans think that the fraud was significant, but not decisive.  On the other hand, the rules of the election allowed the Democrats to harvest votes in a way they had only dreamed of before.  You give them three weeks to get out the vote instead of 12 hours, and they have the organization to do it.  The rules changes were the decisive factor, not fraud.

Some say the rule changes in contradiction to the US Constitution was the greatest fraud of all.  And your Republican led legislature in PA was one of the states that sent a certified multi-page letter to VP Pence detailing the suspected fraud and requesting a delay in the final certification of the electors until a complete audit could be performed.  I'm not sure if your Republicans know this or even care.  It seems to me the establishment GOP and academia are guilty of talking away the issue, because it's easy and what you both do best.

We have only ourselves to blame for that, since the state legislature adopted most of the changes, and both houses are decisively GOP controlled.  The PA Supreme Court did stick its nose in, but the fundamental changes allowing massive mail-in ballots were initiated by the Republicans.

No, the state legislature did not adopt "most of the changes".....hence the massive fraud.  If you're getting your "facts" from your pals in academia, seriously consider expanding your base before you dig in and do some meaningful, fact-based research.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 10:56:04 pm »
Conservatives are in despair because INSANE LIBERALS are in charge & should be obvious by now.
----------------------------------------------
What should beyond obvious is that there is sufficient insanity in the attitudes,
behaviors, impulses and sentiments of far too many people of all persuasions.
Repeating, we selected Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe, among our first 5.
Now write down our last 5 and compare them !!!!!
And yet some question why depression rages across our nation?????

Online LMAO

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2021, 11:06:36 pm »

I also know several people who voted for Joe Biden for president but did vote Republican down ticket. Their reasons given why they did not vote for Trump were the same ones that you listed from an acquaintance.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 11:37:33 pm »
I’ll be fine, in fact I did great under Obama, no thanks to him.

It’s the nation I worry about.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2021, 02:10:22 am »
No, the state legislature did not adopt "most of the changes".....hence the massive fraud.  If you're getting your "facts" from your pals in academia, seriously consider expanding your base before you dig in and do some meaningful, fact-based research.

Actually, most of what I am reading comes from Pennsylvania conservative activists who I follow on Twitter, including some Republican members of the legislature. 

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2021, 03:45:19 am »
Actually, most of what I am reading comes from Pennsylvania conservative activists who I follow on Twitter, including some Republican members of the legislature.

I don't care @massadvj   The changes to election procedures without legislative approval was brought before the Supreme Court even before the election.  The SC refused to hear the case "at that time", although Alito did issue instructions on segregation of ballots --- that were ignored.  The second time it was brought before the Supreme Court was by the State of Texas (with 20 states and the POTUS signing on).  The court of original jurisdiction said Texas, et al, did not have standing.  This should trouble anyone, deeply.

Read through the thread on Legal Updates:  Pennsylvania.  It's a good place for you to start, assuming you've any interest in knowing not only that you're wrong, but why.  Then move on to Georgia.  You'll find lots of Republicans there supporting the theft.

The democrats orchestrated the greatest fraud in American history. It was genius.   Your natural curiosity should push you to learn how the theft of our government was accomplished and who took turns driving the get away car.

Prove me wrong.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2021, 12:48:49 pm »
I don't care @massadvj   The changes to election procedures without legislative approval was brought before the Supreme Court even before the election.  The SC refused to hear the case "at that time", although Alito did issue instructions on segregation of ballots --- that were ignored.  The second time it was brought before the Supreme Court was by the State of Texas (with 20 states and the POTUS signing on).  The court of original jurisdiction said Texas, et al, did not have standing.  This should trouble anyone, deeply.

Read through the thread on Legal Updates:  Pennsylvania.  It's a good place for you to start, assuming you've any interest in knowing not only that you're wrong, but why.  Then move on to Georgia.  You'll find lots of Republicans there supporting the theft.

The democrats orchestrated the greatest fraud in American history. It was genius.   Your natural curiosity should push you to learn how the theft of our government was accomplished and who took turns driving the get away car.

Prove me wrong.

I don't think it really matters whether you are right or not.  If it is so important to you, I grant you are right.  Now what?

You want me to grab my shotgun and shoot someone?

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »
I don't think it really matters whether you are right or not.  If it is so important to you, I grant you are right.  Now what?

You want me to grab my shotgun and shoot someone?

You sound like a smug jackass who would shoot himself by mistake @massadvj

Prove me wrong.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2021, 01:26:28 pm »
This Ancient Play Offers Insight Into Why So Many Young Americans Are So Unhappy
How Americans choose to respond to a receding Christian culture will determine whether life will start imitating art and people end up living in a tragedy.
By Auguste Meyrat
April 26, 2021
Considering that they are perhaps the most privileged population in the history of the world, it seems ironic that American young people today have taken to fighting a system that has bequeathed this very privilege.

Many grow up in safe neighborhoods and never have to worry about becoming the victims of injustice, yet they insist that social injustices exist all around them. Furthermore, many never realize how their violent protesting, calls for defunding the police, and glorification of hardened criminals all do great harm to the victims they claim to champion.

Clearly, the problem isn’t material, but spiritual. While many writers have already argued young people have imbibed leftist ideals from a captured culture, it could also be argued that they have imbibed no ideals at all. Behind the rallying cries of social justice, there lurks a profound emptiness and a desire for anarchy that helps explain why contradictions and strife seem to abound in social justice movements. ...

Far from evoking the usual fear of the gods and pity for doomed nobility, in the style of most Greek tragedies, “Antigone” explores the psychology behind two complex characters, one whose despair drives her to threaten the social order and the other who must respond accordingly. ...

With that said, people today should call the bluff of radicals attempting to mask anarchism with lofty rhetoric of social justice. Like Antigone, they are materially provided for, but lack love and guidance in their lives, making them vulnerable to cheap slogans and narratives. Like Antigone, they assume the moral high ground, but they’re actually oversimplifying complex issues and looking for a scapegoat. Truth isn’t the goal, destruction is. ...
The Federalist
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org