Author Topic: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾  (Read 14255 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾
« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2021, 01:20:58 am »
Thanks, @jmyrlefuller  for the info on @EasyAce    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2021, 11:32:39 am »
Okay...OKAY...(I'm up!  I'm up!  FIVE MORE MINUTES!  Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar)

Wanted to see Max Scherzer and Trea Turner win a World Series ring this year...going to a 106 WIN Dodger team.  I must have been on drugs ( @corbe:laugh:

The Atlanta Braves have shown me once again that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN SHORT SERIES of games.  Gotta love them... like I used to root for the Brooklyn Dodgers against the perennial Yankee appearances.  From 8-10 year old eyes...didn't seem fair.  Always went for the "underdog".   :laugh:

in the meantime, let's face it, the ASTROS/REDSOX series is must-see TV!!  I'd be okay with either team.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2021, 12:15:19 pm »
He decided to take some time away from the board. But it appears he is once again writing!

https://throneberryfields.com/

@jmyrlefuller
Thank you for the link!
 :beer:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2021, 12:19:20 pm »
Okay...OKAY...(I'm up!  I'm up!  FIVE MORE MINUTES!  Break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar)

Wanted to see Max Scherzer and Trea Turner win a World Series ring this year...going to a 106 WIN Dodger team.  I must have been on drugs ( @corbe:laugh:

The Atlanta Braves have shown me once again that ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN SHORT SERIES of games.  Gotta love them... like I used to root for the Brooklyn Dodgers against the perennial Yankee appearances.  From 8-10 year old eyes...didn't seem fair.  Always went for the "underdog".   :laugh:

in the meantime, let's face it, the ASTROS/REDSOX series is must-see TV!!  I'd be okay with either team.

Can't disagree at all about the ALCS.  Wow!  I think I'm pulling for Houston, though, just because it looks like we may actually make it to the World Series this year and Houston is going to be a LOT warmer than Boston!

Go BRAVES!!

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
Can't disagree at all about the ALCS.  Wow!  I think I'm pulling for Houston, though, just because it looks like we may actually make it to the World Series this year and Houston is going to be a LOT warmer than Boston!

Go BRAVES!!

Go FREDDIE!    :beer: 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2021, 01:00:24 pm »

Go BRAVES!!

Atlanta and Houston in the World Series?  They'll have to keep COB office and Fox Sports executives away from any multi-story buildings.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2021, 01:35:06 pm »
Atlanta and Houston in the World Series?  They'll have to keep COB office and Fox Sports executives away from any multi-story buildings.

I know!  That's just gravy!   :laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2021, 05:48:56 pm »
The word is that the Astros were tipping their pitches in the first 3 games.
It looks like the Astros fixed that.
Framber Valdez went 8 innings last night, and was perfect through the first 4 of them.
The best pitching performance of the entire post season, thus far.

While the Red Sox certainly did thump the Astros in Games 2 and 3, the Astros still managed to score, 5,5,3,9, and 9, in these 5 games.
30 runs
It's not like they were entirely shutdown.
Red Sox scored 4,9,12,2, and1, for a total of 28 runs in 5 games.

Not that it matters who scores the most total in the series, but I think it is interesting.
In games 2 and 3, the Red Sox put  9 each game on the Astros in the first 2 innings!
That made it feel like the Astros were doomed.

Friday night, back at Minute Maid, and it is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2021, 07:38:33 pm »

Framber Valdez went 8 innings last night, and was perfect through the first 4 of them.

While the Red Sox certainly did thump the Astros in Games 2 and 3, the Astros still managed to score, 5,5,3,9, and 9, in these 5 games.
30 runs

Not that it matters who scores the most total in the series, but I think it is interesting.
In games 2 and 3, the Red Sox put  9 each game on the Astros in the first 2 innings!

@GrouchoTex

LOL!  You wouldn't recognize  irony if it jumped up and bit you in your ass.     :laugh:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2021, 08:29:05 pm »
@GrouchoTex

LOL!  You wouldn't recognize  irony if it jumped up and bit you in your ass.     :laugh:

@DCPatriot

Yeah, I know, I get it. The Astros said that about Yu Darvish in 2017.
Darvish admitted that it was the case, saying he was off, after reviewing a video of his performance.

This latest deal was Astro's pitching coach Brett Strom, he said this on the local news.

It does happen, and not illegal to pick up on that.

It is ironic, and the one thing in common from 2017 to now in 2021 is Alex Cora.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2021, 11:20:32 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2021, 12:44:07 am »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2021, 04:25:06 am »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2021, 04:30:51 am »

@Polly Ticks

So true! Go Braves!

BTW, breaking news ... Scherzer isn't pitching tomorrow.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2021, 04:40:30 am »

30 runs

@GrouchoTex

It took me a while, but I've finally learned to shake that sense of doom off with this team. It was a fun Friday night in the AllThatJazzZ household. Love my 'Stros!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2021, 11:57:51 am »
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32454763/love-hate-houston-astros-really-good

... Love them or hate them, the Houston Astros are really this good
Jeff Passan

HOUSTON -- Here's the thing: The Houston Astros really are just that damn good. They were that damn good in 2017 when they were cheating, and they are still that damn good in 2021 when, it's reasonable to assume, they are not. And no matter who they face in the World Series, which they're heading to for the third time in five years after dispatching the Boston Red Sox in impressive fashion Friday night, they play a brand of baseball worth savoring.

If you are from Boston or New York or Los Angeles or, perhaps better put, are a baseball fan with a pulse anywhere outside of the Houston metropolitan area, the previous paragraph might cause teeth-gnashing, eyebrow-furrowing, nausea, irritability or any number of other reactions typically listed on a TV commercial for a new pharmaceutical. The Astros are Major League Baseball's villain, and nothing beleaguers fans -- baseball, football, wrestling, any sort of entertainment really -- quite like the heel finding success.

It's just that since the Astros became baseball outlaws, they've also become something else: the second team ever to reach five straight American League Championship Series and the first in the AL to go to three World Series in a five-year span since the early 2000s Yankees. Almost two full decades of baseball and no team has mustered what the Astros locked in with a 5-0 floor-wiping of the Red Sox in Game 6 of the ALCS at Minute Maid Park.

Continued at link above

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2021, 12:36:57 pm »

@Polly Ticks

That's the absolute truth.  It always passed me off that the Braves were put in the NL West back in '69.  It wasn't fair that nearly 30% of their season was spent over 2,500 miles from home.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2021, 12:45:53 pm »
That's the absolute truth.  It always passed me off that the Braves were put in the NL West back in '69.  It wasn't fair that nearly 30% of their season was spent over 2,500 miles from home.

It’s true. I know so many people here who won’t follow the Dodgers for love or money, and still refer them as the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Though I suppose that won’t be the case after another 20 years or so.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2021, 03:14:29 am »

It’s true. I know so many people here who won’t follow the Dodgers for love or money, and still refer them as the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Though I suppose that won’t be the case after another 20 years or so.
Could be worse, they could be the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim now that's a slap in the face, right nobody in the US knows Anaheim the freakin home of Disneyland!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2021, 04:03:47 am »
How wonderfully fitting...Atlanta gives an appropriate middle finger to MLB's Commissioner Bob Manfred, while they host the World Series vs. the Houston Astros...the most exciting team in The Show. 

Congratulations to @Polly Ticks @AllThatJazzZ @GrouchoTex @GtHawk ...and anyone else I might have overlooked!    :beer:

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2021, 04:12:41 pm »
How wonderfully fitting...Atlanta gives an appropriate middle finger to MLB's Commissioner Bob Manfred, while they host the World Series vs. the Houston Astros...the most exciting team in The Show. 

Congratulations to @Polly Ticks @AllThatJazzZ @GrouchoTex @GtHawk ...and anyone else I might have overlooked!    :beer:

Thanks, @DCPatriot !
 :beer:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:04 pm »

@DCPatriot

There were so many good reasons to root for the Braves, but the "up yours" message it sends to Manfred and whatever other powers-that-be was the sweetest!

@Polly Ticks

Congrats to you and the Braves, the city of Atlanta, all the surrounding cities and the state of Georgia. There was a nice little celebration in the AllThatJazzZ household last night the moment that last out was completed. Not gonna lie. Braves are a little scary! They seem to have momentum right now.

I'm going with 'Stros in 6. Go Astros! For the H!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2021, 11:27:01 pm »
@DCPatriot

There were so many good reasons to root for the Braves, but the "up yours" message it sends to Manfred and whatever other powers-that-be was the sweetest!

@Polly Ticks

Congrats to you and the Braves, the city of Atlanta, all the surrounding cities and the state of Georgia. There was a nice little celebration in the AllThatJazzZ household last night the moment that last out was completed. Not gonna lie. Braves are a little scary! They seem to have momentum right now.

Yes, many good reasons. Not least of all, it was LA. Congrats to ATL.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2021, 11:58:49 pm »
@DCPatriot

@Polly Ticks

Thanks, @AllThatJazzZ    I will definitely join you in the gloating due to the All-Star Game nonsense.

I'm going to go with the Braves in 6, but I hope we get some good games in any case.  Also, have you heard our organist?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2021, 02:47:32 am »
Thanks, @AllThatJazzZ    I will definitely join you in the gloating due to the All-Star Game nonsense.

I'm going to go with the Braves in 6, but I hope we get some good games in any case.  Also, have you heard our organist?

@Polly Ticks

Have an honest question for you.  Is the "Tomahawk Chop" chant now piped in through the sound system?

...because I never see the fans doing "The Chop" while it's being 'chanted'.    :laugh: