Author Topic: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾  (Read 14390 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2021, 11:27:18 pm »
Question:

Which one was broken...push-off?  Or landing?

Push-off fibula

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2021, 12:01:17 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2021, 12:23:03 am »
I'm pulling for the Astros!  :0001:  I'm a bitter Phillies fan!

Did you boo Mike Schmidt back in the day?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2021, 05:18:36 am »
Twitter map shows only 3 states are rooting for Astros in World Series

An overwhelming number of Americans are rooting for the Atlanta Braves to beat the Houston Astros in the 2021 World Series, according to new Twitter data.

Fans favor the Astros in just three states - Texas, Louisiana, and Delaware - in a map created by Betonline.ag that’s based on over 230,000 geotagged tweets sent out since the World Series matchup was officially set.

Delaware??! Ewwww..... We reject them and any support they have for our team.

It's so unfortunate about Charlie Morton. Astros fans hold him in the highest regard. I'm sure he knows that -- and that he gets huge respect from the team. I heard 'Tuve in an interview tonight answering the question why he was so ineffective at the plate last night. It's because he's Charlie Morton!

I know the feeling of losing your ace. I was so disappointed when Lance McCullers, Jr. went on the IL several days ago. And, no, it's not just because he's got the best tush in baseball and is a treat to watch. So, if it's any consolation, we're ace-less too.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 05:53:47 am by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2021, 05:35:18 am »
I'm pulling for the Astros!  :0001:  I'm a bitter Phillies fan!

Astros in six!

@MikePence

You're a brave man, Charlie Brown. It's no cakewalk being an Astros fan. It'll make you tougher because people gonna be hatin' on you.  :yowsa:

I'm with you -- Astros in 6 (because I want to win at home).

For the record, there are 2 individuals I wish the Astros never brought on board: Alex Cora and Carlos Beltran (especially the latter). It's important whom you listen to. There are always those who will pull you down to their level.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2021, 05:56:54 am »
@AllThatJazzZ  You betcha -- every game day in the post season!  (Side note - every night when I clean them before I put them away, I wonder if Joc is taking good care of his.)

Go Braves! I'm thrilled to win Game 1, but heartsick over Charlie Morton.

@Polly Ticks

I read where someone asked if they were real pearls. He said yes. I think they're a hoot, and such a fun thing for y'all to rally around. Even so, go Stros!!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2021, 04:54:58 pm »
Sorry to see Uncle Charlie Morton get hurt.
He was pivotal in our World Series win in 2017.
A good guy, everyone liked him.
I was hoping the Astros would re-sign him after Tampa Bay let him loose.
He's older now.
I wonder if he will come back?
I hope so.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2021, 03:37:14 am »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2021, 03:44:25 am »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2021, 04:24:57 am »
Braves have to get a heroic performance from the bullpen and steal one of the next two games.  Then Fried or Anderson must pitch deep into the game in Houston.  Fate has been on their side thus far, so you never know.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2021, 10:19:15 am »
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32506422/world-series-2021-why-atlanta-braves-pulled-ian-anderson-no-hit-bid

World Series 2021: Why the Atlanta Braves pulled Ian Anderson from no-hit bid
Tim Keown

ATLANTA -- Here it comes, the ultimate analytics move, another egregious attack on the heart of the game. After five no-hit innings in Game 3 of the World Series, manager Brian Snitker walked toward Ian Anderson in the Braves' dugout and informed his starting pitcher that he was taking him out before he could face the top of the Houston Astros' order for the third time. Gather 'round, all you nerd-haters -- this one was shaping up to be a classic of the genre.

Except the man who made the decision said it was nearly the exact opposite. Snitker, showing he has zero interest in the human condition's bottomless desire for drama, trampled on the storyline not because of a spreadsheet but because of a very human feeling in the pit of his stomach. Anderson would not get his no-hitter, and the world would not get its preferred storyline, and there was a simple reason for that: It just didn't feel right.

more at above link
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2021, 02:36:52 pm »
Braves have to get a heroic performance from the bullpen and steal one of the next two games.

I mean, while we're making a wish list and all, why not?   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2021, 04:21:07 pm »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/architects-of-two-world-series-teams-atlanta-and-houston-at-home-disgraced-and-out-of-the-game/ar-AAQ5Ibv

Article that additonally exonerates former Astros GM Jeff Luhnow.  Brent Strom himself, who had nothing to gain said the following:

He didn't know what was going on'

The Astros still are booed wherever they go on the road, with fans incensed that they used illegal video to steal signs, but all that remains are four position players, a pitcher, and Strom. All are gainfully employed without being punished.

Strom, sitting at the end of the Astros bench, where signs were relayed with the pounding of trash cans, remains convinced that Luhnow is innocent, and never should have been suspended.

“He didn’t know (expletive) what was going on down here,’’ Strom told USA TODAY Sports. “He didn’t know. He didn’t get involved in people’s business. Now, should he have known? I don’t know.

“But I knew more about it than he did. I sat right (expletive) there when I heard it. If anybody should have been (expletive) going out, it should have been me, and not him.

“I was on the pitching side of things, and had nothing to do with that side of of the ball, but I was still part of the team.’’
=============================================================================

I have done quite a bit of research on the scandal, and I have found zero instances of where Luhnow could be incriminated.

And there it is folks why I have basically given up this f'n game.  COB office and team owner prefered making an innocent GM a scapegoat while the criminals walk.  Luhnow built this team and it is now on a run of 3 world series in 5 years.  Jim Crane and Manfred are blowflies and I hope they burn in hell.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:24:46 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline MikePence

« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2021, 07:59:33 pm »
Did you boo Mike Schmidt back in the day?

Gosh, mike was before my time. But no, I don't even boo Bryce Harper! I could never boo someone like Mike Schmidt! He is a legend who won a ring around here and put up monster numbers!  I never booed Ryan Howard. I boo people who never show up and play hard for us.
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Offline MikePence

« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2021, 08:00:33 pm »
@MikePence

You're a brave man, Charlie Brown. It's no cakewalk being an Astros fan. It'll make you tougher because people gonna be hatin' on you.  :yowsa:

I'm with you -- Astros in 6 (because I want to win at home).

For the record, there are 2 individuals I wish the Astros never brought on board: Alex Cora and Carlos Beltran (especially the latter). It's important whom you listen to. There are always those who will pull you down to their level.

Thank you, Your Astros! Have reminded me of my Phillies from the past decade! Five straight playoffs,  Four straight division titles, two world series appearances! They are a great organization! And we Philly sports fans have been known to be villains, so this is familiar territory to me!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:32:52 pm by MikePence »
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2021, 08:22:14 pm »
https://twitter.com/stephapstein/status/1454502641766174720?t=tgnI0bPV3SnXg9u4xSQS_Q&s=19

Stephanie Apstein
@stephapstein
Breaking (literally): Joc Pederson’s necklace snapped last night. His jeweler is flying to Atlanta today with a replacement.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:24:19 pm by Polly Ticks »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2021, 08:22:46 pm »
If Trump attends tonight's game, I'm hoping for a big "Let's Go, Brandon" (or the corollary, FJB) cheer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #192 on: October 30, 2021, 08:23:41 pm »
If Trump attends tonight's game, I'm hoping for a big "Let's Go, Brandon" (or the corollary, FJB) cheer.

I read earlier that the "Let's Go Brandon" banner that the Gettr guy has been doing will be flying over the stadium tonight.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #193 on: October 30, 2021, 08:45:26 pm »
https://twitter.com/stephapstein/status/1454502641766174720?t=tgnI0bPV3SnXg9u4xSQS_Q&s=19

Stephanie Apstein
@stephapstein
Breaking (literally): Joc Pederson’s necklace snapped last night. His jeweler is flying to Atlanta today with a replacement.

What is the story behind the pearls?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2021, 08:54:18 pm »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2021, 09:04:42 pm »
What is the story behind the pearls?

Pederson has been evasive as to the inspiration behind his new fashion statement. On various occasions he has said, “I just saw the pearls and I was, like, you know what? That looks cool;” that there is no story, he’s just “a bad bitch;” and, “It’s a mystery for everyone. They’ll never know.”

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/23/joc-pederson-pearls

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2021, 09:10:15 pm »

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/23/joc-pederson-pearls

@Polly Ticks

Come on..., you know it's because gold chains were already culturally appropriated.

So Pederson went and grabbed some pearls, because no Latino or African-American would be caught dead wearing pearls.

Uh...do I need a sarcasm tag here for anybody?   :laugh:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2021, 09:49:44 pm »
Well I love the pearls..it is my birthstone for June...so I always wear them.

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2021, 09:55:19 pm »
Well I love the pearls..it is my birthstone for June...so I always wear them.

@mystery-ak

Love the gimmick.  I wonder if they take turns wearing them after they hit a HR?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2021, 10:36:22 pm »
@mystery-ak

Love the gimmick.  I wonder if they take turns wearing them after they hit a HR?

My guess, like yours is that he wanted something different than gold chains...lol
Support the USO