Author Topic: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾  (Read 14410 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: Baseball 2021 - Play Ball! ⚾
« Reply #250 on: November 03, 2021, 04:32:53 am »
Seeing them war path chanting 7 runs up at MMP at the end did make respect the ATL fans a tad less though.

BTW did I hear some Lets Go Brandon mixed in tonight?

@catfish1957

It doesn't bother me. They're excited and happy for their team. I get it. I will say this, though. IF I HAVE TO HEAR THAT CHANT ONE MORE TIME, I'M GOING TO HURL! I liked it the first 136 times I heard it (in the playoffs), but from that 137th time on, it became pukeworthy. OVERKILL, Y'ALL!

I didn't get to hear the Brandon thing. I was multitasking, trying to keep up with the elections while watching the game, texting, and reading/posting on the live thread here. I'm sleeping in tomorrow. Brain's fried. Heart's broke. I'm a teetotaler, so I can't dull my pain. On the plus side, I do have a little dog who's company is comforting.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #251 on: November 03, 2021, 04:51:04 am »
@catfish1957

It doesn't bother me. They're excited and happy for their team. I get it. I will say this, though. IF I HAVE TO HEAR THAT CHANT ONE MORE TIME, I'M GOING TO HURL! I liked it the first 136 times I heard it (in the playoffs), but from that 137th time on, it became pukeworthy. OVERKILL, Y'ALL!

I didn't get to hear the Brandon thing. I was multitasking, trying to keep up with the elections while watching the game, texting, and reading/posting on the live thread here. I'm sleeping in tomorrow. Brain's fried. Heart's broke. I'm a teetotaler, so I can't dull my pain. On the plus side, I do have a little dog who's company is comforting.

I viewed it as analagous of say we were winning a WS clinching game 15-0 on a no hitter and our fans start that chant that  in ridicule.   Pretty classless from my POV.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline MikePence

« Reply #252 on: November 03, 2021, 06:42:19 am »
Congrats Braves fans.
I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #253 on: November 03, 2021, 10:05:10 am »
@catfish1957

Dogs and cats are amazing. They’re like natures Prozac.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2021, 10:25:18 am »
@catfish1957

LOL!

Put on the Game 5 the other night in Atlanta.  Top of the damned 1st inning, they started piping in "The Chant"...had to immediately watch it without sound.  ENOUGH ALREADY!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2021, 02:06:57 pm »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2021, 02:07:40 pm »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2021, 02:11:21 pm »
Congrats...

Thanks!  happy77
I took 3 of the boys out to Waffle House last night/this morning at 1am to celebrate.  It will be a memory for them, especially if it's another 26 years before we win another one.   :laugh:
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2021, 03:24:50 pm »
Last night was the first inning of baseball I'VE WATCHED IN TWO YEARS and will only say that batting practice pitchers and silent bats will do you in no matter what level you are playing at.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2021, 07:32:55 pm »
Atlanta's pitching last night was stellar.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2021, 08:18:07 pm »

And Max Fried did it all after a very large man stomped on his leg.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2021, 08:25:23 pm »
And Max Fried did it all after a very large man stomped on his leg.

@Polly Ticks

I'm not sure I'd call Michael Brantley a very large man, but that was truly a scary moment. I'm so thankful he wasn't injured, even though he ended up having his way with us. I never want to win at the expense of someone's well being.

Again, congrats and enjoy your celebrations!

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2021, 08:42:55 pm »
@Polly Ticks

I'm not sure I'd call Michael Brantley a very large man, but that was truly a scary moment. I'm so thankful he wasn't injured, even though he ended up having his way with us. I never want to win at the expense of someone's well being.

Again, congrats and enjoy your celebrations!

6'2" and 210 lbs on a full run ... close enough!  Yeah, definitely terrifying.  I was having flashbacks to Tim Hudson's (regular season) injury a few years ago. 

I'm with you, I just HATE seeing any of them getting injured, my team or any other. 

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2021, 09:15:35 pm »
6'2" and 210 lbs on a full run ... close enough!  Yeah, definitely terrifying.  I was having flashbacks to Tim Hudson's (regular season) injury a few years ago. 

I'm with you, I just HATE seeing any of them getting injured, my team or any other.

@Polly Ticks

In texting with my cousin, I mentioned how skinny the pitcher was. When that happened, we were both cringing. Could have been worse if it had been Yordan Alvarez. Best case scenario in a situation like that would have been Altuve!  :silly:

Offline MikePence

« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2021, 08:45:09 am »

Congrats Bryce Harper! God bless you! I hope and pray this bolds well for the NL MVP voting!  I'm happy the Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees, and Mets held their wallets and passed on him three years ago. He has been just a joy to watch.  He is the type of guy who you tell your grandkids. At Cooperstown decades from now, I watched him play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94LZiNJMuTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MmYNj7YQU4

And congrats ,Shohei Otani! He deserves to win as well the Al MVP! I bought the MLB tv subscription to watch this man hit and one week. He was hitting homers all week. He put up monster numbers without much support. All he had was Jared Walsh.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:48:29 am by MikePence »

Offline MikePence

« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2021, 08:53:02 am »

Yes, their pitching is deadly. The pitching coach needs to get a  raise.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #266 on: November 04, 2021, 01:28:34 pm »
My son is being given Friday off from school due to the Braves Parade in Atlanta.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #267 on: November 04, 2021, 08:35:24 pm »
Congratulations to the Braves.
They did an amazing job.

I am disappointed that the Astros didn't win.
To be honest, I am more disappointed that there will be no more baseball until the springs.
Even after the 2017 World Series, I was happy, but the next day, I felt the same disappointment.

Okay, so I am weird like that.

Can't complain about the run the Astros have been on.
5 straight ACLS appearances, 3 American League championships and 1 World Championship.
Will it continue?
Owner Jim Crane says that as long as he is the owner, they will be competitive.
They have had a top 5 payroll since 2017.
That doesn't always equate to wins, just ask the Dodgers/Yankees, but it does mean it won't be for lack of spending.
The one negative is that they do not sign more than 5 year deals.
Altuve got a 7 year deal, but, hey, it's Altuve.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #268 on: November 04, 2021, 11:26:25 pm »
Did anybody catch the fans booing Rob Manfred at the trophy presentation?  :silly:  You know that was the last place he wanted to be.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #269 on: November 06, 2021, 02:06:57 am »
Did anybody catch the fans booing Rob Manfred at the trophy presentation?  :silly:  You know that was the last place he wanted to be.
Manfred must be quickly approaching Gary Bettman as most hated commissioner in the major sports. Even ahead of Roger Goodell.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2021, 03:35:19 am »
Manfred must be quickly approaching Gary Bettman as most hated commissioner in the major sports. Even ahead of Roger Goodell.

Bud Selig had the popularity of a fecal sandwich when he was at the helm.  Not only a d-bag, but a crook.

Offline MikePence

« Reply #271 on: November 07, 2021, 05:06:54 am »
Once, again congrats to the braves! Now in free agency, I want Starling Marte, Max Scherzer, and Corey Seager! The past six years. The Mets, Nats, and Braves. All advanced to the world series. And that stings. For the past decade, we missed the playoffs. I'm not going to lie. I'm a little disappointed we are not going after Bryant. The guy would put up monster numbers here. Watch the Mets sign him. I'd boo him every at-bat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFC16EeliYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1m5n6mlkX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFAJAQXX9qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ2NqxYGpDo
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:08:11 am by MikePence »

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2021, 01:20:24 am »
Too bad Freddie Freeman is skipping town right after the celebration.  He could have spent his entire HOF career with one team, like Chipper Jones, and been well-compensated (albeit not at the astronomical price he is demanding).  His salary is liable to become an albatross wherever he goes, and the fans will not be forgiving.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2021, 01:30:22 am »
Bud Selig had the popularity of a fecal sandwich when he was at the helm.  Not only a d-bag, but a crook.

You got that right.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #274 on: November 08, 2021, 02:07:07 am »
Too bad Freddie Freeman is skipping town right after the celebration.  He could have spent his entire HOF career with one team, like Chipper Jones, and been well-compensated (albeit not at the astronomical price he is demanding).  His salary is liable to become an albatross wherever he goes, and the fans will not be forgiving.

Respectfully disagree.

He's at, a level as a HOF player and an age where 1 years contracts are in his favor.

Any half dozen or so teams who "...missed it by 'that' much" would venture into a deal. 

That Yankee Stadium short right field porch is beckoning.   :laugh:     

:2popcorn:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald