Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 51294 times)

Offline Kamaji

Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #800 on: December 05, 2021, 04:48:05 pm »
Bob Dole has passed away....

For better or worse:  RIP.  He was almost 100.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #801 on: December 05, 2021, 05:29:07 pm »

RIP, sir. And thank you for a lifetime of service.    Proud to have voted for you in 1996.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 05:30:29 pm by dfwgator »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #802 on: December 05, 2021, 05:54:32 pm »

He was a patriot.  Rest in Peace.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mountaineer

« Reply #803 on: December 05, 2021, 06:45:45 pm »
Much respect for his military service.  :patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2021, 07:52:43 pm »
Longtime politician Bob Dole, who was severely wounded in World War II by German gunfire, was honorably promoted to colonel  in a private ceremony at the WWII Memorial.

Dole, 95, served as a captain in the 10th Mountain Division before pursuing a political career that included nearly 30 years as a U.S. senator for Kansas and the Republican presidential nominee in 1996.

Surrounded by the memorial's pillars and arches, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Milley promoted Dole in front of a crowd of Dole's friends and family and other Army leaders.

In its 244-year history, Milley noted, the Army has only honorably promoted three former officers. First, George Washington was promoted to general of the Armies, and then Lt. William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition was promoted to captain.

Dole was the only living recipient of such an Army promotion.

https://www.army.mil/article/221973/former_sen_dole_a_decorated_wwii_veteran_promoted_to_colonel
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #805 on: December 05, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
Rest in Peace, Sir!

A life well done!   :patriot:   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #806 on: December 05, 2021, 09:08:50 pm »

Is there a reason the death of Senator Dole isn't national news?

Online libertybele

« Reply #807 on: December 05, 2021, 09:15:09 pm »
Biden on Bob Dole: 'among the greatest of the Greatest Generation

President Biden honored the life and legacy of former Sen. Bob Dole (R-Kan.) on Sunday, calling him “among the greatest of the Greatest Generation.”

Dole died in his sleep early Sunday morning at the age of 98, the Elizabeth Dole Foundation announced in a statement on Twitter. The former senator disclosed in February that he had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and would be undergoing treatment.

Biden on Sunday said Dole, with whom he served in the Senate for more than 20 years, was a “friend” and “an American statesman like few in our history.”

“A war hero and among the greatest of the Greatest Generation. And to me, he was also a friend whom I could look to for trusted guidance, or a humorous line at just the right moment to settle frayed nerves,” Biden added.

“I will miss my friend. But I am grateful for the times we shared, and for the friendship Jill and I and our family have built with Liddy and the entire Dole family,” he added. ............

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/584411-biden-on-bob-dole-the-greatest-of-the-greatest-generation
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #808 on: December 05, 2021, 09:20:25 pm »
Probably because he expressed appreciation for Trump.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #809 on: December 05, 2021, 10:39:41 pm »
He's a Republican, and though he wasn't exactly Mr. Right Winger, he was further to the right of McCain... and it's a Sunday afternoon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #810 on: December 05, 2021, 11:43:01 pm »
:beer:

:patriot:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #811 on: December 06, 2021, 12:11:11 am »
pointing-up This! :patriot:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #812 on: December 06, 2021, 12:42:02 pm »
Amen RIP sir
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #813 on: December 06, 2021, 01:53:35 pm »
A Few Funny Things About Bob Dole Since Bob Dole Passed Away, by Andrew Donaldson:
... Humor seems to be another complex part of this long and varied legacy. “I slept like a baby,” he quipped about election night in 1996 when he fell short against President Bill Clinton, “Woke up crying every two hours.”

He once told a meeting that his wife and then-Transportation Secretary Elizabeth Dole should fill potholes with her biscuit recipe.

Typical of his dry but usually well-timed humor, the passing of Norm MacDonald was marked by the former US Senator with a pitch perfect “Bob Dole will miss Norm MacDonald”.

A man crippled and left for dead early in life with every right to not accomplish anything met his end after a near century run that started in a one-room house in Kansas and apexed at the highest reaches of American power. Such a man would need some humor, along with a lot of guts and determination, to do that.  ...

So, the first thing I thought of when I heard that Bob Dole had shuffled off his mortal coil was to think of that tweet proclaiming “Bob Dole would miss Norm MacDonald” when the comedian passed. I thought of him doing so knowing his own end was coming — having been diagnosed with lung cancer back in February — yet Bob Dole once again using humor with natural timing. Life is more than politics, even when your life has been politics, as Bob Dole well knew from nearly dying before he got a chance to do either. Some things in life, like in politics, are so serious you just have to laugh about them. Including death.

Life is just funny like that. Somewhere on Sunday morning, I like to think, Bob Dole met with Norm MacDonald, they pointed at each other, and simultaneously exclaimed that “Bob Dole has missed Bob Dole” and the two masters of dry wit had a good long laugh about it. Then the laughter trails off, as they both realize Bob Dole is pointing at Norm using Bob Dole’s right arm, and they laugh once again, even harder.

It works just fine now.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #814 on: December 06, 2021, 02:42:47 pm »

:yowsa: Ditto! I will never forget him requiring his aide to stand him up so that he could salute GHW Bush in the capital rotunda.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #815 on: December 06, 2021, 09:31:04 pm »
Medina Spirit, winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby who fell under controversy for a banned substance, dies unexpectedly at age 3
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-12-06/2021-kentucky-derby-winner-medina-spirit-dies
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online berdie

« Reply #816 on: December 06, 2021, 10:24:28 pm »
That's too bad. As much as I love horseracing...it has gotten to where I feel guilty watching it.

Years ago the horses were raced so much they were more in shape. Of course, I'm not so naive to believe there wasn't drugging going on....on both the horses and the jocks.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #817 on: December 06, 2021, 11:20:31 pm »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #818 on: December 07, 2021, 12:22:32 am »
Medina Spirit, winner of the 2021 Kentucky Derby who fell under controversy for a banned substance, dies unexpectedly at age 3
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-12-06/2021-kentucky-derby-winner-medina-spirit-dies

Sad. The hardest part was getting him out of Dean Wormer's office.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #819 on: December 07, 2021, 12:59:58 am »
For better or :  RIP.  He was almost 100.

@Kamaji

I was no fan of his weasel politics,but always had sympathy for the daily pain he endured for decades.

He was truly a tough man to live that long through all of that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #820 on: December 07, 2021, 01:03:08 am »
Longtime politician Bob Dole, who was severely wounded in World War II by German gunfire, was honorably promoted to colonel  in a private ceremony at the WWII Memorial.

Dole, 95, served as a captain in the 10th Mountain Division before pursuing a political career that included nearly 30 years as a U.S. senator for Kansas and the Republican presidential nominee in 1996.

Surrounded by the memorial's pillars and arches, Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Milley promoted Dole in front of a crowd of Dole's friends and family and other Army leaders.

In its 244-year history, Milley noted, the Army has only honorably promoted three former officers. First, George Washington was promoted to general of the Armies, and then Lt. William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition was promoted to captain.

Dole was the only living recipient of such an Army promotion.

https://www.army.mil/article/221973/former_sen_dole_a_decorated_wwii_veteran_promoted_to_colonel

@libertybele

That REALLY pisses me off! Miss Miley,the traitor,should have never been allowed to get within a mile of someone like Dole. It was a freaking insult to his sacrifices.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #821 on: December 07, 2021, 01:04:30 am »

@Right_in_Virginia

It is,AFAIK. I saw it mentioned on several tv stations yesterday/last night.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #822 on: December 07, 2021, 01:06:43 am »
A Few Funny Things About Bob Dole Since Bob Dole Passed Away, by Andrew Donaldson:

@mountaineer

"Typical of his dry but usually well-timed humor, the passing of Norm MacDonald was marked by the former US Senator with a pitch perfect “Bob Dole will miss Norm MacDonald”."

THAT was hilarious,I don't care who you are.

It was also a VERY clever and subtle way to pay tribute to Norm's humor.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #823 on: December 07, 2021, 01:33:12 am »
Sad. The hardest part was getting him out of Dean Wormer's office.

There is nothing a chainsaw can't do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #824 on: December 07, 2021, 05:02:41 pm »

Ugh. Stop drugging horses!
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell