Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 50029 times)

BassWrangler

Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #450 on: June 30, 2021, 09:57:03 pm »
R.I.P.

I always liked him. He reminded me of this VP I used to work for - very no-nonsense guy, but had a good heart.

Online libertybele

« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2021, 10:16:14 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

I am guessing he sold clown cars?

No. He owned the largest KIA dealership in the world.  His incentives to get people in the door were unmatched; cruises and big screen TV's with purchase of a vehicle were very common.

He held a raffle once, and a woman thought he called her name, she came up to the stage, realized that it wasn't her name that was called but a name similar and he turned around and gave her a vehicle anyways.

He had some flaws (as everyone does) but he was indeed HUGE!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #452 on: June 30, 2021, 10:17:23 pm »
I pulled into Penn Station one afternoon, took the reverser out of the controls, then stepped off the engine, and who was right there but... Mr. Rumsfeld, waiting to board the head coach. He was retired from office by then, takin' the train from NYC south...

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #453 on: July 01, 2021, 12:19:02 pm »
RIP, Mr. Rumsfeld.

One of the few times I enjoyed Saturday Night Live was when they did this spoof of a Rumsfeld press briefing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NirX_tdNTY
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2021, 05:44:21 pm »
RIP, Mr. Rumsfeld.

One of the few times I enjoyed Saturday Night Live was when they did this spoof of a Rumsfeld press briefing.

@debrawiest

That was hilarious! Thank you for posting it here or I would never have gotten to see it.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #455 on: July 02, 2021, 12:43:57 pm »
30 Jun 2021
Serbian middle-distance great Nikolic dies
World Athletics is deeply saddened to hear that Vera Nikolic, Serbia’s former world 800m record-holder, died on Monday (28) at the age of 72.

A two-time European champion having claimed 800m gold for Yugoslavia in Budapest in 1966 and Helsinki in 1971, Nikolic achieved her world record-breaking run of 2:00.5 in London on 20 July 1968. That mark would not be beaten for almost three years.

She raced at two Olympic Games, in 1968 and 1972, and went on to become a highly successful coach. ...

She famously walked off the track at 300m during the 1968 Olympic semifinal, left the stadium, and was climbing a fence in an attempt to commit suicide when her coach managed to grab her and save her. The next day, the great American 800m runner, Madeline Manning Mims, saw her just before the finals.
... How are you feeling? I asked, she didn't speak much English but she shrugged and nodded, trying hard to hold back her tears. I took her hands in mine, and thought I knew she wouldn't understand every word, I'd hope she'd understand where i was coming from. She looked amazed that I would break my concentration on the finals just to talk to her. I know that you are a great athlete, I said. I want to see you go back and get yourself together and get your mind together. Pray to God for strength, and when you come back, you'll come out fighting and be the runnerI know you are. She cried openly and then nodded as we hugged each other.

A year later at the Europe vs. Americas games in Germany I ran into Vera's coach. How is she? I asked. She's here, he told me. When you stopped to talk to her before your own finals, it brought tears to my eyes. If you hadn't done that, I'm sure she would have given up. It was the turning point in her life. She's back in training, and while she's not in top shape yet, she's coming back. By then she had seen me and ran up to hug me. 3 years later in Munich she was again among the top 5 800 meter women in the world ...
From Madeline Manning Jackson's biography Running For Jesus
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #456 on: July 03, 2021, 01:23:58 pm »
RIP, Mr. Rumsfeld.

Yes that was amusing and I did like Rumsfeld.

I have to confess I have no idea who portrayed Rumsfeld nor many
playing press idiots.

Ain't life grand when you actually have something to do Saturday nights.

Slide Rule

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #457 on: July 05, 2021, 08:23:09 pm »
'Goonies,' 'Superman' filmmaker Richard Donner dead at 91

July 5 (UPI) -- Richard Donner -- who directed classic films such as The Omen, Superman, The Goonies, Ladyhawke and Lethal Weapon -- has died at the age of 91.

His wife, producer Lauren Shuler Donner, confirmed the New York native's death to Deadline Monday, while his production company broke the sad news to Variety.

The cause has not been disclosed.

Donner's other movie credits include Superman II, Inside Moves, The Toy, Scrooged, Lethal Weapon 2, Lethal Weapon 3, Lethal Weapon 4, Maverick, Conspiracy Theory, Assassins, Timeline and 16 Blocks. He was also an executive producer on The Lost Boys, and the Free Willy and X-Men franchises.

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2021/07/05/richard-donner-obit/8601625513965/

-------------

The guy made some righteous flicks.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #458 on: July 05, 2021, 10:19:48 pm »
Fare well Mr. Donner, RIP. Thanks for the entertainment!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2021, 01:42:44 am »
One I missed when it happened..

Lloyd Price, entrepreneur and R&B singer who had hits with "Stagger Lee" and "Personality," dies at 88.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lloyd-price-early-rock-legend-behind-stagger-lee-dead-at-88
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #460 on: July 09, 2021, 04:37:04 am »
One I missed when it happened..
mjjLloyd Price, entrepreneur and R&B singer who had hits with "Stagger Lee" and "Personality," dies at 88.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/lloyd-price-early-rock-legend-behind-stagger-lee-dead-at-88

@jmyrlefuller

I am surprised he didn't die a LONG time ago.

Stagger Lee was HUGE when it came out. I can still hear his voice,clear as a bell,singing,"I was standing....on the corner....when I heard that Bulldog bark........"

https://youtu.be/FCPutYaGFlE
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #461 on: July 09, 2021, 05:25:30 am »
@jmyrlefuller

I am surprised he didn't die a LONG time ago.

Stagger Lee was HUGE when it came out. I can still hear his voice,clear as a bell,singing,"I was standing....on the corner....when I heard that Bulldog bark........"

https://youtu.be/FCPutYaGFlE

I would have gone with "Personality." "Stagger Lee" was kinda violent and gruesome. Even so, I can still sing along with the record.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online rustynail

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2021, 06:25:45 pm »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #464 on: July 13, 2021, 01:57:01 am »
Charlie "Mac" Robinson, actor best known for playing the court clerk on Night Court, dies at 75
https://www.thewrap.com/charlie-robinson-night-court-star-dies-at-75/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #465 on: July 13, 2021, 03:38:58 pm »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #466 on: July 13, 2021, 04:22:41 pm »
Charlie "Mac" Robinson, actor best known for playing the court clerk on Night Court, dies at 75
https://www.thewrap.com/charlie-robinson-night-court-star-dies-at-75/

I remember him in that role. He was excellent and this is sad news! The very funny Richard Moll ("Bull") is still alive, age 78.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #467 on: July 13, 2021, 11:49:44 pm »
William E. Smith Jr., star of Laredo and prolific muscle-bound character actor, dies at 88.

https://www.metv.com/stories/rip-william-smith-muscleman-actor-of-laredo-and-hawaii-five-o?fbclid=IwAR3jzbdutUEcEQq9yGKCmucNGK-HjycY1eo83q6VBPdg39Uvfy6N7UosgrU
Really doesn't say enough about him.

Smith also took courses at both the Sorbonne and the University of Munich — and is fluent in Russian, French, German and Serbo-Croatian.
During the Korean War he was a Russian Intercept Interrogator and flew secret ferret missions over the Russian SFSR. He had both CIA and NSA clearance.

Smith earned a Bachelor of Arts from Syracuse University and a Master's degree in Russian Studies from UCLA. He taught Russian at UCLA before abandoning his Ph.D. studies for a MGM contract and stunt doubling for the former Tarzan Lex Barker in the 1958 French film The Strange Awakening

William Smith (March 24, 1933 – July 5, 2021) was an American actor. In a Hollywood career spanning more than 75 years, he appeared in almost three hundred feature films and television productions in a wide variety of character roles,

I remember him best for Laredo even though it only ran for two years, but also remember him for many movies and shows.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #468 on: July 13, 2021, 11:50:31 pm »
I remember him in that role. He was excellent and this is sad news! The very funny Richard Moll ("Bull") is still alive, age 78.
Another fine actor who left us too young.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #469 on: July 16, 2021, 04:36:58 pm »
Dennis Murphy, known for his quixotic alternative sports leagues, dies at 94.

Murphy was a co-founder of both the World Hockey Association and American Basketball Association, each of which merged with the league they were challenging, the NHL and NBA respectively. He also founded World Team Tennis (which still exists today) and Roller Hockey International, which lasted several years in the 1990s. He was also the driving promotional force behind the Battle of the Sexes tennis match pitting Billie Jean King in the prime of her career against an over-the-hill Bobby Riggs.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/31825705/dennis-murphy-co-founder-pro-sports-leagues-dies-94

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #470 on: July 17, 2021, 01:14:50 am »
You have to love a man and/or an obit that uses the word “quixotic”

Rest In Peace
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #471 on: July 17, 2021, 02:33:51 am »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #472 on: July 20, 2021, 03:23:13 am »
I remember Smith always being the bad guy.  His role in Red Dawn is most memorable.  He goes all the way back to being a boy in Going My Way with Bing Crosby.  Amazing career..

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #473 on: July 20, 2021, 12:35:53 pm »
Kansas Rock Violinist Robby Steinhardt Dies at 71

Robert E. “Robby” Steinhardt, a violinist and vocalist with the progressive rock band Kansas, has died due to complications from pancreatitis. He was 71.

His wife, Cindy Steinhardt, said he died Saturday at a hospital in Tampa, Florida. She announced via Facebook on Monday (July 19) that he had just recorded his first solo album and had been looking forward to being back on stage and going on tour.

Steinhardt, a native of Lawrence, Kansas, was an original member of the band, teaming up with Topeka West High School graduates Kerry Livgren, Rich Williams, Phil Ehart and Dave Hope and with Steve Walsh, who grew up in St. Joseph, Missouri. Steinhardt performed with Kansas from 1973 to 1982 and 1997 to 2006, the Topeka Capital-Journal reported.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebrity/kansas-rock-violinist-robby-steinhardt-dies-at-71/ar-AAMl3Ms?ocid=uxbndlbing
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2021, 02:36:45 am »
Jackie Mason, unabashedly Jewish comic, dies at 93.

One of the last surviving comedians from the Borscht Belt north of New York City where many of the great Jewish comedians of the mid-20th century originated, Mason, a former rabbi with his thick Yiddish accent and observational comedy, became a star on the stand-up comedy circuit in the 1960s before Ed Sullivan, mistakenly believing that Mason had flipped him off during a routine Sullivan was trying to cut short, blacklisted him from the show. He continued to work in Broadway for a number of years afterward, then moved into a brief film career that included The Jerk, History of the World Part I (from fellow Borscht Belter Mel Brooks) and the infamous Caddyshack II, in which he played the villain.

Mason moved toward more politically conservative commentary near the end of his life, including a weekly talk show for Talk Radio Network. He died July 24.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-tv-arts-and-entertainment-jackie-mason-1a4c1b51d538a6871edd5cad52c2f14f