Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 49351 times)

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #475 on: July 25, 2021, 03:14:04 am »
Oh sh*t!

This one hurts. I’m so glad I got to see him years ago when he did two nights at the George Street Playhouse in New Brunswick.

I laughed so hard I hurt the next day.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Mason, I know  you’re making angels laugh now.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #476 on: July 25, 2021, 06:56:40 am »
Jackie Mason, unabashedly Jewish comic, dies at 93.

@jmyrlefuller

"UNABASHEDLY Jewish"

WTH? Was he supposed to have been ashamed of being Jewish,and is a hero because he wasn't?

Who the hell wrote this crap?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #477 on: July 25, 2021, 02:44:01 pm »
@sneakypete

Only inasmuch as Mason made his Judaism a centerpiece of his comedy, with his frequent Yiddish and, well, kvetching act. It was an integral part of his shtick (good grief, I think *I* was Jewish in a past life with all the Yiddish I speak!).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2021, 03:55:10 pm »
@sneakypete

Only inasmuch as Mason made his Judaism a centerpiece of his comedy, with his frequent Yiddish and, well, kvetching act. It was an integral part of his shtick (good grief, I think *I* was Jewish in a past life with all the Yiddish I speak!).

@jmyrlefuller

Which was fine with me,a boy who grew up in "The Church of GAWD!",which was only one small step above snake-handling. Hell,I even wanted to become a fundie preacher when I grew up,and started reading the Bible somewhere around the 3rd grade. I had read enough of it by the 5th grade to tell my mother I wouldn't be going to church anymore because the whole thing was bullshit.

Anyhow,the only Jews I SUSPECT of  being exposed to before joining the army was a mother,father,and female child my age that lived across the street,and they refused to associate with anyone,and wouldn't even let their daughter talk to me.

Despite this,I thought Jackie Mason was hilarious,and don't get me started on Buddy Hackett!

If someone with the background I had could grow up to appreciate NYC Jewish humor on tv as a child,pretty much anybody anywhere should have been able to enjoy it.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #479 on: July 25, 2021, 05:25:24 pm »
He knew his stuff when it came to O'bastard and Lurch and Hillary on Iran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZNcZJ9IQTk&t=212s
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #480 on: July 25, 2021, 09:11:25 pm »
Nobel prize-winning physicist Steven Weinberg dies at 88

Physicist Steven Weinberg, who won the Nobel prize in 1979 with two other scientists for their separate contributions unlocking mysteries of tiny particles and their electromagnetic interaction, has died at 88, the University of Texas at Austin said Saturday.

A professor at the university since the 1980s, Weinberg died Friday in Austin, Texas, according to his wife Louise, said UT spokesperson Christine Sinatra. The physicist had been hospitalized for several weeks, but a cause of death was not released, according to Sinatra.

“The passing of Steven Weinberg is a loss for The University of Texas and for society,” UT President Jay Hartzell said in a statement.

“Professor Weinberg unlocked the mysteries of the universe for millions of people, enriching humanity’s concept of nature and our relationship to the world,” Hartzell added.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/07/24/nobel-prize-winning-physicist-steven-weinberg-dies-at-88/
The Republic is lost.

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2021, 09:19:58 pm »
Jackie Mason, unabashedly Jewish comic, dies at 93.

One of the last surviving comedians from the Borscht Belt north of New York City where many of the great Jewish comedians of the mid-20th century originated, Mason, a former rabbi with his thick Yiddish accent and observational comedy, became a star on the stand-up comedy circuit in the 1960s before Ed Sullivan, mistakenly believing that Mason had flipped him off during a routine Sullivan was trying to cut short, blacklisted him from the show. He continued to work in Broadway for a number of years afterward, then moved into a brief film career that included The Jerk, History of the World Part I (from fellow Borscht Belter Mel Brooks) and the infamous Caddyshack II, in which he played the villain.

Mason moved toward more politically conservative commentary near the end of his life, including a weekly talk show for Talk Radio Network. He died July 24.

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-tv-arts-and-entertainment-jackie-mason-1a4c1b51d538a6871edd5cad52c2f14f

As Gefn said, this one hurts. I hadn't seen him in a few years, but I'll still miss him.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #482 on: July 28, 2021, 07:11:36 pm »
ZZ Top’s Dusty Hill dies at age 72

Jul. 28, 2021 at 2:52 PM EDT

(Gray News) - Dusty Hill, bass player for the band ZZ Top, has died, the band announced Wednesday on Facebook. He was 72 years old.

Band members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said in the post that Hill had died in his sleep at his Houston home.

“We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top,’” they said. “We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’”

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX.  .  .

https://www.ksnblocal4.com/2021/07/28/zz-tops-dusty-hill-dies-age-72/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #483 on: July 28, 2021, 07:12:54 pm »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #484 on: July 28, 2021, 07:31:54 pm »

(Gray News) - Dusty Hill, bass player for the band ZZ Top, has died, the band announced Wednesday on Facebook. He was 72 years old.

Band members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said in the post that Hill had died in his sleep at his Houston home.

“We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top,’” they said. “We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’”

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX.  .  .

8888crybaby

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #485 on: July 28, 2021, 08:27:02 pm »
8888crybaby

This is awful news.  Anyone with a true Texas Card is mourning right now
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:36:29 pm by skeeter »

Offline berdie

« Reply #487 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:50 pm »
Well, if he died in his sleep...I'm jealous. I will miss him as a muscian.

Online corbe

« Reply #488 on: July 28, 2021, 09:44:35 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #489 on: July 28, 2021, 09:58:26 pm »

When I go, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandpappy. Not screaming hysterically like the passengers in his car.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #490 on: July 28, 2021, 10:00:21 pm »
When I go, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my Grandpappy. Not screaming hysterically like the passengers in his car.....

With your liberal relatives in the car would be a double blessing.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2021, 11:09:33 pm »

@Hoodat

This one hurts. I'm just glad he died in his sleep,instead of spending months,or even years,suffering.

We should all be so lucky.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2021, 11:11:17 pm »

@berdie

Not as good as getting killed instantly by a shot to the head while climbing out a "wrong" bedroom window,but not bad,either.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2021, 11:12:56 pm »
With your liberal relatives in the car would be a double blessing.

@Wingnut

Won't work for me. They have all known for decades that I consider them to be lower than pond scum. Mostly because I told them,over and over.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #494 on: July 29, 2021, 11:51:23 am »
Ron Popeil, gadget salesman who revolutionized the infomercial, dies at 86.

Popeil followed in the path of his father Samuel, an inventor and seller of various kitchen gadgets, and established Ronco. Ronco used television as a way to reach a wide audience and by the 1970s and early 1980s was being spoofed by Dan Aykroyd's Saturday Night Live sketch "Bass-O-Matic" and "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Mr. Popeil" (which included Ron's daughter Lisa on backing vocals and Ron would later use in his commercials). When full-length infomercials became legal in 1984, Popeil was there, using it to sell items such as the Pocket Fisherman, the Veg-O-Matic, the Showtime Rotisserie Grill, the Mr. Microphone low-power radio transmitter, the Bedazzler, the Food Dehydrator, and other gadgets. He sold the company in 2005 but remained active to a lesser extent until his death.

He had suffered a sudden medical emergency on July 28 after previously being in good health.
https://deadline.com/2021/07/ron-popeil-dead-obituary-informercial-pioneer-ronco-1234801779/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #495 on: July 29, 2021, 12:12:20 pm »

Never was into the band, but I liked the way they looked. Best beards in the business. RIP, Mr. Hill.

Online Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #496 on: July 29, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »
Ron Popeil, gadget salesman who revolutionized the infomercial, dies at 86.

Popeil followed in the path of his father Samuel, an inventor and seller of various kitchen gadgets, and established Ronco. Ronco used television as a way to reach a wide audience and by the 1970s and early 1980s was being spoofed by Dan Aykroyd's Saturday Night Live sketch "Bass-O-Matic" and "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Mr. Popeil" (which included Ron's daughter Lisa on backing vocals and Ron would later use in his commercials). When full-length infomercials became legal in 1984, Popeil was there, using it to sell items such as the Pocket Fisherman, the Veg-O-Matic, the Showtime Rotisserie Grill, the Mr. Microphone low-power radio transmitter, the Bedazzler, the Food Dehydrator, and other gadgets. He sold the company in 2005 but remained active to a lesser extent until his death.

He had suffered a sudden medical emergency on July 28 after previously being in good health.
https://deadline.com/2021/07/ron-popeil-dead-obituary-informercial-pioneer-ronco-1234801779/

Gotta hand it to him. His things were silly, but I looked forward to his commercials back in the day. I even bought a couple of them. So did Bart Simpson, who had a whole episode featuring a “Mr. Microphone”

RIP.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #497 on: July 29, 2021, 12:34:22 pm »

Man, that one is tough.  Maybe the best 3-man band ever.  I saw them live a couple times and it amazed me the sound they could produce.  RIP Dusty.  Enjoy the last road trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9cNGHl-bg
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #498 on: July 30, 2021, 04:36:18 am »
Carl Levin, Michigan’s longest-serving senator, dead at 87

Carl Levin, Michigan’s longest-serving senator, has died at the age of 87, Fox News confirmed late Thursday.

Levin, a Harvard-educated civil rights attorney and former taxi driver, was known for being a powerful voice on military issues and as a staunch supporter of the auto industry.

Former President Obama said in 2013, "If you’ve ever worn the uniform, worked a shift on an assembly line, or sacrificed to make ends meet, then you’ve had a voice and a vote in Sen. Carl Levin."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/carl-levin-dead-at-87

The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #499 on: July 30, 2021, 04:34:22 pm »
Man, that one is tough.  Maybe the best 3-man band ever.

Ahem  .  .  .

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-