Author Topic: The Latest: Debate commission adopts new rules to mute mics  (Read 1553 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Latest: Debate commission adopts new rules to mute mics
« on: October 20, 2020, 12:01:55 am »
The Latest: Debate commission adopts new rules to mute mics
11 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the 2020 presidential campaign (all times local):

7:50 p.m.

President Donald Trump and Democrat Joe Biden will have their microphones cut off in Thursday’s debate while their rival delivers their opening two-minute answer to each of the debate topics.

The 90-minute debate is divided into six 15-minute segments, with each candidate granted two minutes to deliver uninterrupted remarks before proceeding to an open debate. The open discussion portion of the debate will not feature a mute button, but interruptions by either candidate will count toward their time in the second and final debate Thursday.

The nonpartisan Commission on Presidential Debates announced the rule changes Monday, three weeks after a chaotic opening faceoff between the two presidential contenders that featured frequent interruptions — most by Trump.

The commission has faced pressure from the Trump campaign to avoid changing the rules, while Biden’s team was hoping for a more ordered debate. In a statement, the commission said it “had determined that it is appropriate to adopt measures intended to promote adherence to agreed upon rules and inappropriate to make changes to those rules.”

more
https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-donald-trump-politics-elections-campaigns-d0bc484e967bca5053fe1186d33af4b8
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: The Latest: Debate commission adopts new rules to mute mics
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 12:22:54 am »
Nope.  Deal-breaker.  Everybody, including the Rats, know this will only be applied on one side.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 12:31:34 am »
“had determined that it is appropriate to adopt measures intended to promote adherence to agreed upon rules and inappropriate to make changes to those rules.”

We had to change the rules to not change the rules?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:34:49 am by rustynail »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 12:32:12 am »
We'll see.  If Trump had been restrained in the first debate, he might be in better shape now.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 12:36:46 am »
This is in direct response to Trump saying he intends to bring up Biden’s selling his office through his son. This is why the commission dropped the foreign policy subject as well. The entire media complex is is closing ranks to squeeze this story out.

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:40:46 am »
    Back when Men were Men and sheep were scared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVHlHR5RcSg&feature=emb_title#
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 12:42:38 am »
In a statement, the commission said it “had determined that it is appropriate to adopt measures intended to promote adherence to agreed upon rules and inappropriate to make changes to those rules.”

"adherence to agreed upon rules" like the Foreign Policy topic of the debate and the specific subjects to be discussed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfXvH3LPSwU
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:46:47 am by HoustonSam »
James 1:20

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 12:44:55 am »
This is in direct response to Trump saying he intends to bring up Biden’s selling his office through his son. This is why the commission dropped the foreign policy subject as well. The entire media complex is is closing ranks to squeeze this story out.

He could spend his first 2 minutes talking about it.  Just ignore the moderator's question, and redirect to the media collusion with the Biden campaign to hide a scandal until after the election.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 01:05:23 am »
He could spend his first 2 minutes talking about it.  Just ignore the moderator's question, and redirect to the media collusion with the Biden campaign to hide a scandal until after the election.

I think that's a good idea..just ignore the moderator's question
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online rustynail

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 01:08:40 am »

They will turn his microphone off for a rules infraction.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 01:09:46 am »

And when the moderator interrupts him to insist that he answer the posed question, he should forcefully demand that the moderator's microphone be disconnected during his two minutes.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 01:12:12 am »
That’d be the only alternative for him.

I would hope the “moderator” would limit their use of the mute button to prevent interruptions of the other candidate’s two minute answer and not use it when the “moderator” feels the candidate isnt addressing their specific question.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:13:29 am by skeeter »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 01:14:18 am »
We'll see.  If Trump had been restrained in the first debate, he might be in better shape now.

What are you talking about?  That was no debate.  That was a circus with WALLACE.  POTUS had to debate 2 people.
Then POTUS was shut down by WALLACE.  HOW ABOUT RESTRAIN THE MODERATORS?  We don't need any debates.  What is to debate? 

https://twitter.com/LizRNC/status/1318266036383326208?s=20

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 01:15:20 am »
And when the moderator interrupts him to insist that he answer the posed question, he should forcefully demand that the moderator's microphone be disconnected during his two minutes.
I wouldn’t so much mind the moderator demanding the candidate answer the question, I do mind the moderator arguing with the candidate’s answer.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 01:21:14 am »
I wouldn’t so much mind the moderator demanding the candidate answer the question, I do mind the moderator arguing with the candidate’s answer.

That's a good distinction and I would join you in it if the demanding happened equally to both sides and was not followed by arguing.  But if the moderator is clearly just another democrat voice, then Trump should call that out and insist on the same enforced prohibition against partisan interruptions.  He won't succeed in getting it, but the point would be clarified and driven home beyond any doubt; he's running against the media as much as against the democrats, so if the media comes out looking bad Trump wins.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 01:27:07 am »

Good luck with that if Trump's microphone has a mute button.  No, they're rigging it for Biteme.  Plain and simple.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 01:29:51 am »
That’d be the only alternative for him.

I would hope the “moderator” would limit their use of the mute button to prevent interruptions of the other candidate’s two minute answer and not use it when the “moderator” feels the candidate isnt addressing their specific question.

Are you kidding?  Muzzling Trump is the whole idea.  Sure, Biteme interrupted plenty, but the people demanding a mute button for Trump all said Biteme was perfect in the last debate (even though Biteme was the first to interrupt).

This is a one-way rule, and must not be allowed to stand.  No deal.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 01:31:01 am »
That's a good distinction and I would join you in it if the demanding happened equally to both sides and was not followed by arguing.  But if the moderator is clearly just another democrat voice, then Trump should call that out and insist on the same enforced prohibition against partisan interruptions.  He won't succeed in getting it, but the point would be clarified and driven home beyond any doubt; he's running against the media as much as against the democrats, so if the media comes out looking bad Trump wins.

Is there anybody with functioning synapses who doesn't already know that?
I will NOT comply.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 01:39:55 am »
Too bad Trump can't say this..

Ronald Reagan: "I am paying for this microphone ...
Support the USO

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 01:40:05 am »
Agree. It’s a shame the “bipartisan” debate commission cannot seem to bring themselves to organize a fair debate for the American voters.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2020, 01:41:03 am »
Is there anybody with functioning synapses who doesn't already know that?

There remain some in the electorate with poor synapse function, and unfortunately their franchise cannot be repealed.  Sometimes facts that you and I find obvious must be demonstrated.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2020, 01:43:08 am »
There remain some in the electorate with poor synapse function, and unfortunately their franchise cannot be repealed.  Sometimes facts that you and I find obvious must be demonstrated.

OK.  I agree with that.  I just wish it could happen,because if it does it would be a "first."
I will NOT comply.

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2020, 03:04:53 am »
I'm so sick of these corrupt "elites" protecting one of their own.

If there are going to be debates we should go to the Lincoln - Douglas debate style. 1 person starts talking for an hour. The next person gets to talk for 90 minutes and then the first person gets to talk for 30 minutes. We don't need "moderators".

Trump should decline.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2020, 03:08:44 am »
Trump can speak without with a mic... and Biden can hear him.  :smokin:

What pisses me off is foreign policy is still off the table.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2020, 03:13:57 am »

Sure @cato potatoe    *****rollingeyes*****

Can you tell me what the President did that forced the commission to delete foreign policy from the debate topics?