Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates  (Read 8903 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2020, 11:46:28 am »
We came out fine. No high winds. Only very little light rain. Wife left for work abt an hour ago.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2020, 12:29:51 pm »
We came out fine. No high winds. Only very little light rain. Wife left for work abt an hour ago.

Yay

I’m so happy for you @Elderberry . Seriously I was really praying it wouldn’t be bad.

Do you think it downgraded because so many people prayed?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 12:31:19 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2020, 12:45:02 pm »
EYE WALL of powerful Hurricane Laura in Lake Charles

EYE WALL of powerful #HurricaneLaura in Lake Charles, LA with the Dominator Fore and HERV taking some debris. Sadly there is a lot of damage, likely catastrophic to the south. We are waiting for sunrise to drive to Holly Beach and retrieve windy palms @MikeTheiss

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2020, 12:48:33 pm »
Catastrophic damage from Hurricane Laura seen in downtown Lake Charles

KENS 5: Your San Antonio News Source
49.9K subscribers

Downtown Lake Charles, Louisiana sustained catastrophic damage as Hurricane Laura moved through overnight. Take a look at the eery footage captured by a storm chaser.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2020, 01:00:22 pm »
Laura is approximately 150 miles due east of me at this moment winds here are about 10 MPH and I have received a total of .25" of rain here.  I'm sure the further east you go from here the worse it gets.  Looking at the radar tells me that it is still packing a punch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 01:02:54 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2020, 01:04:09 pm »
Building Being Torn Apart in Lake Charles, LA

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline libertybele

« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2020, 02:31:34 pm »
@Elderberry
@Bigun

Yay!  Glad to hear you are both safe.  Great news!  Thanks for letting us know.

Continued prayers up for those affected by this storm.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2020, 02:32:51 pm »
How are you folks in Texas this morning? All I’m seeing is Laura is now a catagory 2 hurricane but no report on damages and where she hit.

I will make my morning coffee, and dig deeper past iPhone headlines  :coffee!:

Up north in spouse's yankee territory right now.  But my place was on the clean side, and from news accounts, and my experience with other storms through the years, I am guessing that it will a couple of days without power, and probably just some large branches down.  I expected much much worse.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »
Up north in spouse's yankee territory right now.  But my place was on the clean side, and from news accounts, and my experience with other storms through the years, I am guessing that it will a couple of days without power, and probably just some large branches down.  I expected much much worse.

Good news!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2020, 02:59:17 pm »
I am not there but I should still have a roof on my townhouse based on Laura coming in east of my town and Houston.  I will hear soon from my guy who checks my house after every storm and his house should also be okay.  I am so thankful it came in where it did and yet feel so sorry the damage it caused.

I told a story on this thread about a man who went through a hurricane when he was a young boy and that one came in at Cameron where his family lived and so did this one come in at/near Cameron.  Cameron should be under water completely now as it was then. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:05:17 pm by Victoria33 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2020, 03:21:23 pm »
I am not there but I should still have a roof on my townhouse based on Laura coming in east of my town and Houston.  I will hear soon from my guy who checks my house after every storm and his house should also be okay.  I am so thankful it came in where it did and yet feel so sorry the damage it caused.

I told a story on this thread about a man who went through a hurricane when he was a young boy and that one came in at Cameron where his family lived and so did this one come in at/near Cameron.  Cameron should be under water completely now as it was then.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2020, 03:34:35 pm »

I hope that boy (well, he’s grown up now) is ok
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2020, 04:12:43 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »

Hoping that all is in tact @Victoria33   keep us posted please.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:14 pm »

Hoping that all is in tact @Victoria33   keep us posted please.
@libertybele

You are in Florida, right?  And you are okay?  I haven't looked at the future of Laura, but it is not going to go east to Florida, right?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »
@libertybele

You are in Florida, right?  And you are okay?  I haven't looked at the future of Laura, but it is not going to go east to Florida, right?

Laura is heading straight North, and is making the Easterly turn over probably Tennessee.  Shreveport saw Hurricane-force winds, and she was downgraded to TS after that.  Florida is safe.   :0001:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2020, 10:06:32 pm »
Category 4 Hurricane "Laura" ties for strongest Louisiana landfalling hurricane on record

The Watchers by Teo Blašković on August 27, 2020

https://watchers.news/2020/08/27/hurricane-laura-landfall-strongest-louisiana/

Category 4 Hurricane "Laura" made landfall near Cameron in southwestern Louisiana at 06:00 UTC (01:00 CDT) on August 27, 2020, with maximum sustained winds of 241 km/h (150 mph) and minimum central pressure of 938 hPa. Catastrophic storm surge, extreme winds, and flash flooding are occurring in portions of Louisiana.

Laura is the strongest hurricane to make landfall in Louisiana since the Last Island Hurricane of 1856. Last Island also had maximum sustained winds of 241 km/h (150 mph) - tie for the strongest Louisiana landfalling hurricane on record.

Laura's minimum central pressure of 938 hPa is the 4th lowest for a Louisiana hurricane landfall on record, trailing Katrina (2005, 920 hPa), Last Island (1856, 934 hPa) and Rita (2005, 937 hPa), Klotzbach noted.

Laura is also the 7th named storm to make landfall in continental US (CONUS) in 2020, breaking the old record of 6 named storms making CONUS landfall by the end of August, set in 1886 and 1916.

More at link.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2020, 02:41:23 am »
@libertybele

Sorry for late response @Victoria33   - Yes, I live in FL but the hurricane is far away from me.  Thank you for asking.

Hope all is well with your townhouse.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2020, 11:42:41 am »
Watching the morning news this morning they are warning us in Houston that our heat index will be 110+ today.

I was out of power for 2 weeks after Ike.  I really feel for those without power.

Lake Charles weather shows now 86deg and 89%humidity  for a heat index already of 105. If the humidity today doesn't drop then the heat index will rise to 121 when the temp rises to 90deg.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
Watching the morning news this morning they are warning us in Houston that our heat index will be 110+ today.

:3:

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2020, 04:05:26 pm »
How are you folks in Texas this morning? All I’m seeing is Laura is now a catagory 2 hurricane but no report on damages and where she hit.

No rain or wind to speak of, SW of Houston.
Had the day off.
Helped my son move to Katy, west of Houston.
Went to a Sugar Land Skeeters minor league game last night.
Just a typical hot and humid day for us, with another one to follow today.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2020, 04:21:27 pm »

Got a note from my Dad in east Tx this morning and they got 1/4" of rain and very little wind so all is well in Hopkins County...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2020, 11:20:32 pm »
United Cajun Navy helps with rescues, cleanup after Hurricane Laura
•Aug 27, 2020

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2020, 01:09:10 am »
:3:

Is the Heat Index Real?

MF BY Dennis Mersereau July 19, 2019

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/83808/heat-index-real

Complaining about the humidity is a mainstay of small talk. “It’s not the heat that gets you, it’s the humidity” is a common refrain around the South, just as “it’s a dry heat” is a go-to line in the desert Southwest. The clichés aren’t wrong on this one—a hot and humid day can have a dramatic effect on both your comfort and your health. We can measure this very real impact on your body using the heat index.

The heat index is the temperature it feels like to your body when you factor in both the actual air temperature and the amount of moisture in the air. If the heat index is 103°F, that means that the combination of heat and humidity has a similar physical impact on your body as it would if the actual air temperature were 103°F. Even though it’s tempting to think of the heat index as an exaggerated temperature that only exists to make the heat sound worse than it really is, scientists came up with the measurements after decades of medical and meteorological research devoted to studying the impact of heat and humidity on the human body. It’s the real deal.

More at link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2020, 12:47:24 pm »
Hurricane Laura Losses Include 10 Deaths, Up To $12 Billion

NPR by Bill Chappell 8/28/2020

https://www.npr.org/sections/hurricane-laura-live-updates/2020/08/28/907133279/hurricane-laura-losses-include-10-deaths-up-to-12-billion-it-couldve-been-worse

Hurricane Laura unleashed terrible winds on the Louisiana coast, but its effects are "looking relatively tame from an economic perspective" – especially when compared with other powerful storms, according to an early analysis by Moody's Analytics.

Laura is blamed for

at least 10 deaths, including five people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning — at least one case involving the use of a generator without proper ventilation. Four people died from trees falling on homes, Gov. John Bel Edwards said. And a man drowned after the boat he was on sank, NPR member station WWNO reported.

The storm is estimated to have caused anywhere from $4 billion to $12 billion in damages to Louisiana and Texas. While Laura showed a staggering amount of power, its damage tally isn't likely to come close to other strong storms such as hurricanes Katrina and Harvey — the two costliest storms in U.S. history.

Katrina caused an estimated $160 billion worth of damage in 2005; Harvey caused $125 billion in damages in 2017.

More at link.