Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates  (Read 8948 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2020, 06:33:14 pm »
I don't know when I've seen all the models come together before.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2020, 06:37:09 pm »
Why hasn't Trump done anything?  Is this another Katrina?

The levees are closing in.

Sure thing. Move all the FEMA trailers and supplies into the Hurricane's Path NOW!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:18 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Gefn
@libertybele
@Everyone

Years ago, a man, in his 20s, came to my office, who went through a hurricane that came in near Cameron, LA.  (Don't remember the name but it was a terrible one).  He had never forgotten what happened to him, he was 7-8 yrs. old at that time.  His father was not there; was on a business trip.  His grandfather was also at their house.  The water filled the downstairs, so they moved upstairs.

The upstairs also flooded, so they managed to get on the roof of the house.  His grandfather fell off the roof and was never seen again.  His mother came off the roof so he went after her.  He tried to keep her head above water, but he was so young, did not have enough strength to keep them above water for a long time.  His mother was unconscious and slid out of his hands and went under the water.  She was never found.  He passed a tree and grabbed it, climbed up it and was there until a boat came and found him.

Of course, I told him he was not responsible for the death of his mother/grandfather.  We talked for a while about he could not stop what was happening - it was too much for a young boy to stop the flooding and save two people.

The story about his grandfather and mother was in the newspaper at that time, and he carried it in his billfold always.  As we talked, I asked him if he could now stop carrying the article.  He took it out and gave it to me.  He said he was now ready to take a new job and leave Cameron.  He left that story with me and was free to have a new life away from Cameron, LA.

There are going to be stories due to Laura and people will have the memory of this hurricane forever if they lose family members.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Still praying for all those in the path of this monster hurricane.  I'm especially very much concerned about those that live in TX and post in here -- God's blessings upon all of you!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2020, 07:01:01 pm »
Louisiana already starting to see some storm surge.  **nononono*

Hurricane Laura Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL132020
200 PM CDT Wed Aug 26 2020

...200 PM CDT POSITION UPDATE...
...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING
EXPECTED ALONG THE NORTHWEST GULF COAST TONIGHT...
...LITTLE TIME REMAINS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY...

Water levels are beginning to rise along the coast of Louisiana. A
National Ocean Service water level station at Eugene Island,
Louisiana, recently reported about 3.2 feet of inundation above
ground level.

The Eugene Island NOS station also recently measured sustained winds
of 35 mph (56 km/h) and a gust to 41 mph (66 km/h).

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2020, 07:02:17 pm »
I hope all here that are in the path of this storm have evacuated...please keep us informed, if you can, on how you are doing...

I am praying for all of you!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:14:38 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2020, 07:06:47 pm »
My anemometer is currently showing 13 to 21 mph at my house in SE Houston.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2020, 07:07:43 pm »
Hurricane Laura is now a Category 4 storm

Hurricane Laura has strengthened into an "extremely dangerous" Category 4 hurricane, according to the National Hurricane Center. It now has maximum sustained winds of up to 140 mph..........

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said winds could be the biggest threat from Hurricane Laura. 

“The storm surge is also a big problem — with 10 to 15 feet storm surge around the Jefferson County area, we should expect some flash floods in various regions where the storm will be going through, and those flash floods could spill into rivers and the rivers could overflow," Abbott said during a Wednesday afternoon presser.

Abbott warned that “the one river that we do anticipate having the greatest challenge is the Sabine River,” which is along the Texas and Louisiana border. 

Abbott said there will be a roughly 24-hour period where “there will be no ability for rescuers or operators to get in and assist you in any way.”

This is the first time in 8 years Louisiana has activated its full National Guard

The governor said that more than 3,000 members of the guard are currently deployed, with that number to increase this afternoon. In addition to the personnel, 19 aircraft, 920,000 liters of water and more than half a million meals have been pre-deployed, Edwards added.

About 2,000 hotel rooms had been secured this evening to help shelter people as a result of the storm and to also help with social distancing, Edwards said.

All commercial traffic along I-10 is being detoured north from I-10 to I-20, Shawn Wilson commissioner of the Louisiana Department of Transportation said at a press conference.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2020, 07:16:22 pm »
My anemometer is currently showing 13 to 21 mph at my house in SE Houston.

Aren't you in the path..don't you need to leave??
@Elderberry
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2020, 07:17:43 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Gefn
@libertybele
@Everyone

Years ago, a man, in his 20s, came to my office, who went through a hurricane that came in near Cameron, LA.  (Don't remember the name but it was a terrible one).  He had never forgotten what happened to him, he was 7-8 yrs. old at that time.  His father was not there; was on a business trip.  His grandfather was also at their house.  The water filled the downstairs, so they moved upstairs.

The upstairs also flooded, so they managed to get on the roof of the house.  His grandfather fell off the roof and was never seen again.  His mother came off the roof so he went after her.  He tried to keep her head above water, but he was so young, did not have enough strength to keep them above water for a long time.  His mother was unconscious and slid out of his hands and went under the water.  She was never found.  He passed a tree and grabbed it, climbed up it and was there until a boat came and found him.

Of course, I told him he was not responsible for the death of his mother/grandfather.  We talked for a while about he could not stop what was happening - it was too much for a young boy to stop the flooding and save two people.

The story about his grandfather and mother was in the newspaper at that time, and he carried it in his billfold always.  As we talked, I asked him if he could now stop carrying the article.  He took it out and gave it to me.  He said he was now ready to take a new job and leave Cameron.  He left that story with me and was free to have a new life away from Cameron, LA.

There are going to be stories due to Laura and people will have the memory of this hurricane forever if they lose family members.

@Victoria33

I really started crying on this. I can’t imagine. I know you’re a good therapist but, that poor child.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »
Somehow prayers don’t seem to be enough for those in Laura’s path. I’m genuinely worried, and frightened

Please be safe.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:20:27 pm by Gefn »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2020, 07:26:28 pm »
Aren't you in the path..don't you need to leave??
@Elderberry

I should be on the edge in the "Dry Side". Been there many times before, starting with Carla. Not in an evacuation zone by zip code.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2020, 07:30:29 pm »
I should be on the edge in the "Dry Side". Been there many times before, starting with Carla. Not in an evacuation zone by zip code.

I wish you would leave... :crying:
Support the USO

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2020, 07:34:13 pm »
I had met some of my sister's friends that had lived in Bolivar. The wife was rescued by helicopter during Ike or Rita, I get 'em all mixed up now. There've been so many. When I was in Pensacola, I'd hit the beach whenever a storm hit the gulf to catch some waves. When I could. We'd always pull out to sea when a hurricane came close.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2020, 07:34:58 pm »
I wish you would leave... :crying:

Not your call.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2020, 07:39:13 pm »
If it came to it, I have a vault that we could all cram in. The door alone weighs over 1200 lbs.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2020, 07:41:36 pm »
Support the USO

Offline libertybele

« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2020, 07:41:48 pm »

@Elderberry -- yes this is your call ... I'm reading your comment "should be on the edge in the "Dry side".   I hope and pray that, that prediction proves to be true. That comment gives me some concern as hurricanes are way too unpredictable and any margin of error could turn out to be catastrophic for some.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
If it came to it, I have a vault that we could all cram in. The door alone weighs over 1200 lbs.

Well ... that would take care of wind ... I'm just worried about the predicted flooding of appx. 15 ft. and 30 miles inland. 

You're there of course and know your area much better, I can only judge by what we're hearing on the news.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2020, 07:45:04 pm »

@Elderberry we still worry about you. Even if it isn’t our call.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2020, 07:49:22 pm »

@Elderberry -- yes this is your call ... I'm reading your comment "should be on the edge in the "Dry side".   I hope and pray that, that prediction proves to be true. That comment gives me some concern as hurricanes are way too unpredictable and any margin of error could turn out to be catastrophic for some.

The models @Elderberry has been posting show remarkable consistency.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2020, 08:05:46 pm »
KFXK FOX51
@kfxkfox51
·
30s
SEVERE WEATHER ALERT: The NWS has issued a tornado watch for Deep East Texas counties until 9 p.m.

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/weather/tornado-watch-issued-for-deep-east-texas-counties-2/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co
Support the USO

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2020, 08:18:20 pm »
KFXK FOX51
@kfxkfox51
·
30s
SEVERE WEATHER ALERT: The NWS has issued a tornado watch for Deep East Texas counties until 9 p.m.

https://www.easttexasmatters.com/weather/tornado-watch-issued-for-deep-east-texas-counties-2/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

All well East and North of any briefers I know of.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2020, 08:26:13 pm »
We are getting hourly updates now.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
All well East and North of any briefers I know of.

Briefer ABX is in the ArkLaTex area.  They're expecting high wind and heavy rain up there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2020, 08:49:26 pm »
Is this man insane?

CNN's Joe Lockhart suggests Hurricane Laura hitting Gulf Coast is 'karma'
https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnns-joe-lockhart-suggests-hurricane-laura-hitting-gulf-coast-is-karma
Support the USO