Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates  (Read 8954 times)

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2020, 08:58:49 pm »
We live SW of Houston and I'm not concerned for us (or Houston) at all.

These guys give a good summary of what to expect in the greater Houston area: 

https://spacecityweather.com/

We live in the area they describe as "West of I-45 (The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress, Sugar Land, etc.)" and their prediction for us is:

"Periods of showers and thunderstorms possible to likely tonight. Impacts peak between 9 PM and 3 AM with winds of 15 to 25 mph and gusts as high as 30 mph or so."  We may not even get two inches of rain.

The latest from the National Hurricane Center shows some inundation maps that are extremely scary for Louisiana, and gives a good explanation of where to expect tornado activity: https://www.facebook.com/NWSNHC/videos/359980175014770

Offline libertybele

« Reply #151 on: August 26, 2020, 09:13:03 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2020, 09:13:35 pm »

Quote from: LadyLiberty on August 26, 2020, 08:58:49 pm
We live SW of Houston and I'm not concerned for us (or Houston) at all.

These guys give a good summary of what to expect in the greater Houston area:  https://spacecityweather.com/

We live in the area they describe as "West of I-45 (The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress, Sugar Land, etc.)" and their prediction for us is:

"Periods of showers and thunderstorms possible to likely tonight. Impacts peak between 9 PM and 3 AM with winds of 15 to 25 mph and gusts as high as 30 mph or so."  We may not even get two inches of rain.

The latest from the National Hurricane Center shows some inundation maps that are extremely scary for Louisiana, and gives a good explanation of where to expect tornado activity: https://www.facebook.com/NWSNHC/videos/359980175014770

Thanks for the info. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2020, 09:29:45 pm »
Take care and be well all in Laura's path!  Do try to keep your social distance from any funnel clouds!!!!  Seriously though, stay safe.

Hiya!  You're on post #50, @HuskyPatriot!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2020, 09:32:18 pm »
Current view, Galveston Webcam

https://www.facebook.com/FoxNews/videos/3442388595783134
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2020, 10:30:56 pm »
Even with Laura, Louisiana Hurricanes Have Not Increased Since 1851

August 26th, 2020 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/2020/08/even-with-laura-louisiana-hurricanes-have-not-increased-since-1851/

As I write this, it looks like major Hurricane Laura will arrive on the Louisiana coast late tonight as a Category 4 hurricane somewhere south of Lake Charles.

There will be the inevitable fake news coverage claiming how U.S. landfalling hurricanes are getting worse, a subject which I addressed in my Amazon Kindle e-book Inevitable Disaster: Why Hurricanes Can’t Be Blamed on Global Warming.

Of course, hurricane damage has increased, as people flock to the nation’s coasts and associated infrastructure increases. But we should remember that (for example) Miami only had 444 residents when incorporated in 1896, and now the Miami metroplex has over 6,000,000 inhabitants.

So, yes, storm damage will increase, but not because the weather has gotten worse.

Given the current event, which is sure to bring major damage to southwest Louisiana, I thought I would present the statistics for all documented hurricanes affecting Louisiana in the last 170 years (1851-2020).

Neither Hurricane Numbers nor Intensities Have Increased in Louisiana

If we examine all of the hurricanes affecting Louisiana in the last 170 years in the National Hurricane Center’s HURDAT database (as summarized on Wikipedia) we find that there has been no long-term increase in either the number of hurricanes or their intensity since 1851.

More at link.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2020, 10:47:50 pm »
USAGov Retweeted
National Weather Service
@NWS
·
18m
If you were not ordered to evacuate, be prepared to take shelter in a sturdy structure in an interior room away from windows on the lowest floor possible. Dangerous winds will last for hours in many locations tonight and/or tomorrow.

http://weather.gov for the latest.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2020, 11:17:14 pm »
Laura 2000CDT

...800 PM CDT POSITION UPDATE... ...POSSIBLE TORNADOES OCCURRING IN LAURA'S OUTER BANDS OVER SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA AND EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN MISSISSIPPI...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 02:22:00 am by Elderberry »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates..Cat 5
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2020, 01:46:50 am »
Greta Wall
@GretaLWall
·
12m
#BREAKING Hurricane Laura is upgraded to a Category 5 storm
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2020, 01:49:47 am »
Alex Salvi
@alexsalvinews
·
2m
NEW: Hurricane Laura reaches Category 5 strength and is on pace to become the strongest storm to ever strike Louisiana.
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates..Cat 5
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2020, 01:53:03 am »
Greta Wall
@GretaLWall
·
12m
#BREAKING Hurricane Laura is upgraded to a Category 5 storm

Greta retracted that.  Still Cat 4.

Greta Wall
@GretaLWall
I have deleted an earlier tweet that said the storm had been upgraded, Cat 5 begins with wind speeds of 156 mph
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2020, 02:21:09 am »
Laura 2200CDT

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:09:15 am by Elderberry »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2020, 02:48:20 am »
Mollie
@MZHemingway
·
7m
Pence jokes that he might be his mom's second-favorite candidate on the Trump-Pence ticket. She laughs.
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2020, 03:17:01 am »
Julie Pace
@jpaceDC
·
1m
PORT ARTHUR, Texas (AP) — Tropical storm-force winds from Laura have begun pummeling the Texas coast, near the Louisiana border.
Support the USO

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2020, 03:24:59 am »
If it maintains its current course and speed I estimate it'll hit the coast between Port Arthur and Cameron around 2AM.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2020, 03:49:00 am »
If it maintains its current course and speed I estimate it'll hit the coast between Port Arthur and Cameron around 2AM.

Not looking good for Sabine Pass.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2020, 03:56:33 am »
That area seems to be a hurricane magnet.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2020, 03:58:44 am »
I see the circular bands overhead.We've had no rain. Winds now are only gusting to 15 mph. Around 4 pm they were gusting up to 25 mph.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2020, 04:06:57 am »
I am keeping up with Channel 13 in Houston.  Weatherman is on constantly giving news as quickly as it comes in.  It is looking better for Houston and points north which means my town of Conroe.  Maybe I will have a roof left.  It has moved a bit to the right which is to the east, taking it more away from Houston.

It is 150 mph coming in - Cameron LA is going to be gone along with everything to the east of it, plus Lake Charles. 

Weathermen are saying the coast will be reformed by the storm.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 04:11:51 am by Victoria33 »

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2020, 04:50:23 am »
Seriously? Find better sources who are not trying to hype the situation so that they can increase their ratings.  Your roof in Conroe will be fine, unless there is a rogue tornado.

I strongly suggest you follow spacecityweather.com or their facebook page. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2020, 06:19:13 am »
The storm officially made landfall at 1 a.m. Thursday according to a  tweet from the National Hurricane Center. Landfall officially happens when the center of the eyewall moves over land.

"The eyewall of Laura is moving onshore over southwestern Louisiana. TAKE COVER NOW," the hurricane center said in the 12 a.m. statement.

Sustained winds of 84 mph were reported in Cameron recently with as gust to 110 mph according to the 12 a.m. update.

"Treat these imminent extreme winds as if a tornado was approaching and move immediately to the safe room in your shelter. Take action now to protect your life!"

The strong Category 4 storm is heading toward the Texas-Louisiana coast according to the National Hurricane Center, and is about 45 miles southeast of Port Arthur as of 12 a.m.

The storm, which the hurricane center calls "extremely dangerous," has had sustained winds around 150 mph for several hours. Laura is expected to rapidly weaken as the storm moves over land.

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/weather/hurricane/hurricane-laura-makes-landfall-as-cat-4-storm-over-cameron-parish-with-150-mph-winds/502-207eff11-d1d6-4dc1-a0fc-52882a373746

Offline dancer

Got the hell out of Dodge yesterday.  800 miles out of the way.  People along the coast and inland somewhere between Palacios and Cameron are going to see Rita type destruction.
Glad to hear that you are safe.

Offline dancer

« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2020, 09:38:35 am »
Trump should stick to things he knows.   Leave 'Canes to us.   F'n dumb ass.
WOW  What brought that on?

Offline dancer

Continued prayers up for those in the path of this storm.  Stay safe forum buddies!!
:amen:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2020, 11:19:48 am »
How are you folks in Texas this morning? All I’m seeing is Laura is now a catagory 2 hurricane but no report on damages and where she hit.

I will make my morning coffee, and dig deeper past iPhone headlines  :coffee!:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️