Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates  (Read 8833 times)

Offline Idiot

Gulf oil & gas production shut down for a whole week.
Oh great....the price of crude will rise $.05.   happy77

Offline libertybele

Thanks for the post -- something we all need to consider -- fill up the tanks on vehicles.  I think we may even fill up our gas caddy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I did. You didn't say "Leave the whole State" . I took "There really is no reason why anyone need leave here for any hurricane."  To mean no one needs to leave( seek shelter)  here( places in Texas).
For clarification, my reply was to a comment the poster said Unless you can make it safely out of the state soon enough to not be impacted in your travels, sometimes it is best just to stay, put your shutters up and bunker in.

I think we are ok as we just crossed comments up.   :beer:

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Not just the production, but there are a lot of ships moving in and out of those ports as well carrying crude or product.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Marco in past few loops is kind of puzzling.  The heaviest circular spinning convection at it's inner center has left, and the storm itself has gotten larger, with shallower cloud tops  Too early to tell if this is a weakening, or a regeneration. 

Also, storm is encounter a somewhat small column of dry air that is about 400 miles long by 50 miles wide stretching from Mobile towards the Bay of Compeche.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:41:57 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Pre- 4pm Sunday NHC advisory analysis

Laura- 13 of the 15 models have shifted very it slightly east of previous NHC projected path.  Imagine next update at 4 will be somewhere around Cameron, LA as far as new location of the projected eye landfall.  Laura is looking pretty robust in its short trip from Hispanola to Cuba.  The banding around the storm is also looking a lot more typical of a hurricane.  I am guessing it might be one, and announced so.

Marco- This is where it gets interesting.  The majority of models now have the storm making a sharp westward turn about 80-100 miles south of the Louisiana coast toward Texas.  There is a semblence of an eye off and on in the radar loops, so I am guessing the next advisory my show some strenghtening.

This is the craziest weekend I have ever seen in 50 years of watching hurricanes.  You got to wonder of the proximty of the storms so close together are doing things to the models the Met scientist don't understand, due to  this is such a rare occurence.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Pre- 4pm Sunday NHC advisory analysis

Laura- 13 of the 15 models have shifted very it slightly east of previous NHC projected path.  Imagine next update at 4 will be somewhere around Cameron, LA as far as new location of the projected eye landfall.  Laura is looking pretty robust in its short trip from Hispanola to Cuba.  The banding around the storm is also looking a lot more typical of a hurricane.  I am guessing it might be one, and announced so.

Marco- This is where it gets interesting.  The majority of models now have the storm making a sharp westward turn about 80-100 miles south of the Louisiana coast toward Texas.  There is a semblence of an eye off and on in the radar loops, so I am guessing the next advisory my show some strenghtening.

This is the craziest weekend I have ever seen in 50 years of watching hurricanes.  You got to wonder of the proximty of the storms so close together are doing things to the models the Met scientist don't understand, due to  this is such a rare occurence.

I'm not worried about Marco but don't like the cut of Laura's jib even a little bit.  That one is going to be trouble for the upper Texas coast.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

I'm not worried about Marco but don't like the cut of Laura's jib even a little bit.  That one is going to be trouble for the upper Texas coast.

Laura has strengthened even though she's been moving over land and is now expected to stay south of Cuba and strengthen into a possible Cat. 2 as she moves NW and makes her way up the Gulf

The impact from both of these storms on LA is going to be devastating. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 12:03:21 am by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The impact from both of these storms on LA is going to be devastating.
According to weather.com, Marco is aiming straight for New Orleans.
But fortunately, it is a relatively weak storm.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hurricane Laura Forms, Forecast To Hit Gulf Coast As A Major Hurricane

Updated at 10:40 a.m. ET

Hurricane Laura will make landfall as a major hurricane, with winds of around 115 mph and a storm surge up to 11 feet, when it strikes near the Louisiana-Texas border late Wednesday or early Thursday, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Laura was declared a hurricane Tuesday morning, when a NOAA hurricane hunter aircraft detected maximum sustained winds of 75 mph as the storm's center was crossing into the Gulf of Mexico. It's expected to draw more power from the gulf's warm waters.

"Significant strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours," NHC forecaster Eric Blake said in his morning advisory.

A hurricane watch is now in effect from San Luis Pass, Texas, to west of Morgan City, La. Such alerts normally go out roughly 48 hours before tropical-storm-force winds could arrive.

The storm is moving west-northwest at nearly 17 mph – and forecasters say its long westward trip across the Gulf will give it time to strengthen.

When the storm arrives, the affected area could be large: Laura is projecting tropical storm-force winds for 175 miles from its center, and it will bring huge amounts of rain to inland areas.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Got the hell out of Dodge yesterday.  800 miles out of the way.  People along the coast and inland somewhere between Palacios and Cameron are going to see Rita type destruction.

Offline GrouchoTex

Got the hell out of Dodge yesterday.  800 miles out of the way.  People along the coast and inland somewhere between Palacios and Cameron are going to see Rita type destruction.

@catfish1957
I was wondering what you were going to do.
I think we are staying home, unless the track moves west.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@catfish1957

I'm staying put regardless. But I'm 100 miles inland and about 400' ASL here.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
@catfish1957

I've evacuated before, unneeded, but this time. glad I did.  Roads were clear, and traffic was light.  Understand Jefferson and Orange Counties have called for mandatory evacuations.  Ugh....  glad I am not going to fight that nightmare.

Plus,  I am at the age, that the discomforts of 2 weeks w/o electricty just doesn't peak my pioneer spirit.  Hang tough Tex,  I missed yesterdays action, but from what I am seeing the models do seem to be creeping westward. So like I said,   Anyone living near the coast from Palacios to Cameron needs to be ready.

Offline libertybele

Continued prayers up for those in the path of this storm.  Stay safe forum buddies!!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2020, 04:10:33 pm »
At a Glance

Laura strengthened into a hurricane Tuesday morning in the southern Gulf of Mexico.

Conditions in the Gulf of Mexico should allow Laura to strengthen significantly.

Laura is predicted to become a major hurricane prior to landfall on the upper Texas or southwest Louisiana coasts.

Life-threatening storm surge and damaging winds will affect areas near where Laura makes landfall.

Laura is also an inland flood risk as far north as Arkansas or southern Missouri.Isolated tornadoes are also expected from Laura.

Hurricane Laura is expected to intensify over the Gulf of Mexico and become a major hurricane prior to striking the upper Texas or southwest Louisiana coasts late Wednesday or early Thursday. Life-threatening storm surge and destructive winds will batter the coast and a threat of flooding rain and strong winds will extend well inland.

Residents along the upper Texas and southwest Louisiana coasts should prepare now for a hurricane strike. Follow any evacuation orders issued by local or state officials.

More than half a million people in east Texas and western Louisiana have been told to leave their homes ahead of Hurricane Laura, which could make landfall as a major Category 3 storm.

"Today is the day. The weather is still nice here in Galveston. This is the day for everybody to get their belongs together and, for the safety of themselves and their family, to go ahead and evacuate today. Do not wait," Craig Brown, mayor pro tem of the city of Galveston, told The Weather Channel.

Galveston, which sits on a barrier island on the Texas Gulf Coast, issued a mandatory evacuation order Tuesday morning and urged residents to leave as soon as possible.

Surrounding Galveston County issued a voluntary evacuation for the Bolivar Peninsula saying it was possible the peninsula cold be cut off from emergency services because of Hurricane Laura.

“The main point is that we’re going to have a significant hurricane make landfall late Wednesday or early Thursday,” National Hurricane Center Deputy Director Ed Rappaport said Tuesday.

Complicating evacuations is reduced capacity at emergency shelters because of the need for social distancing in the era of the coronavirus.

"Frankly there's not that many places for people to go to," Dick Gremillion, director of homeland security and emergency preparedness for Louisiana's Calcasieu Parish, told The Weather Channel. "In our traditional shelters, we've lost two-thirds of capacity. It has been a difficult time rolling COVID into hurricane preparations."

more w/video

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-08-23-hurricane-marco-laura-louisiana-texas-mississippi-gulf-coast
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:12:28 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2020, 04:18:00 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2020, 04:19:21 pm »
Laura now a hurricane, continuing on path to hit the U.S. as a major Category 3 Wednesday or Thursday

RALEIGH, N.C. (WTVD) -- Hurricane Laura could approach the Texas-Louisiana border as a major hurricane in the coming days.

The NOAA Hurricane Hunters reported that Laura became a hurricane shortly after moving over the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. It's expected to continue intensifying on a path to hit the U.S. coastline late Wednesday or early Thursday as a major Category 3 hurricane capable of "devastating" damage.

The eye of Laura is 620 miles southeast of Galveston, Texas with 75 mph winds and gusts up to 90 mph. As of 11 a.m. Tuesday, the storm is moving west-northwest at 16 mph. Galveston has issued a mandatory evacuation, instructing all residents to leave the island on Tuesday.

more
https://abc11.com/weather/laura-could-become-category-3-hurricane/6387452/
Support the USO

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Continued prayers up for those in the path of this storm.  Stay safe forum buddies!!

Yes.  :0001:  to all my forum friends in Laura’s path...stay safe.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2020, 05:34:59 pm »
500,000 ordered to evacuate as Hurricane Laura strengthens in Gulf

Officials in east Texas and western Louisiana ordered more than 500,000 people to evacuate as Hurricane Laura draws closer to making landfall.

"Today is the day. The weather is still nice here in Galveston. This is the day for everybody to get their belongs together and, for the safety of themselves and their family, to go ahead and evacuate today. Do not wait," Galveston, Texas, mayor pro tem Craig Brown told The Weather Channel.

The coastal city issued a mandatory evacuation order Tuesday morning, while the surrounding Galveston County issued a voluntary evacuation for the entire Bolivar Peninsula.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/513568-500000-ordered-to-evacuate-as-hurricane-laura-strengthens-in-gulf
Support the USO

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2020, 06:45:33 pm »
I hadn't thought of leaving. I need to remove anything from the yard that the wind might pickup. I just got in 2 bandoliers of ammo for my M1-Carbine. There's been so many hurricanes, I get the names mixed up. It was Rita or Ike and a lot of people evacuated the neighborhood. Most of the time there wasn't any rain. And I saw people I didn't know, brazen as hell, even walking down the middle of the street. My neighbor, across the street corner from me, sat in his open garage in a lawn chair with his shotgun. I spent some time outside with mine.  None of my immediate neighbors got broke in, but I did see a Luv size pickup drive down our street with 2 guys in the back holding a huge wide screen tv. I know it got heisted, but I didn't see it happen.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2020, 08:14:39 pm »
Pre-4pm advisory thoughts

Based on latest model run, I am guessing Laura probably shifts 30-40 miles west, say about High Island or Port Bolivar.  This shifting westward trend has been pretty consistent since this storm was named.  First advisory had it hitting FL pandhandle.  13 of 15 of the models are west of the last offical NHC track this time.

To my Briefer friends along and inland further down along the TX coast.  Don't let your guard down

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2020, 09:51:30 pm »
Donald J. Trump Retweeted
National Weather Service
@NWS

Heads up! Today is the last day to prepare for Hurricane #Laura. Evacuation zones are based on potential storm surge. If an evacuation has been ordered, life-threatening storm surge is expected. Get your loved ones to a safe place...their life depends on it!

11:25 AM · Aug 25, 2020·Twitter Web App

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2020, 11:46:37 pm »

Trump should stick to things he knows.   Leave 'Canes to us.   F'n dumb ass.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2020, 12:02:42 am »
Trump should stick to things he knows.   Leave 'Canes to us.   F'n dumb ass.

Tut, tut!  He's expected to be a megaphone for news, and this is just a retweet.  No Sharpies were harmed, I assure you.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: