Author Topic: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates  (Read 8893 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Live Thread: Hurricane Laura updates
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:16 am »
Tut, tut!  He's expected to be a megaphone for news, and this is just a retweet.  No Sharpies were harmed, I assure you.

I Deferring to my Man from Bullhead City on this then.  My TKE meter spiked.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2020, 12:15:59 am »
Pre-4pm advisory thoughts  Based on latest model run, I am guessing Laura probably shifts 30-40 miles west, say about High Island or Port Bolivar.  This shifting westward trend has been pretty consistent since this storm was named.  First advisory had it hitting FL pandhandle.  13 of 15 of the models are west of the last offical NHC track this time.
To my Briefer friends along and inland further down along the TX coast.  Don't let your guard down.
@catfish1957

If it goes through Houston, going north only 25/30 miles, it will be where my townhouse is.  I won't be in that house but a friend will be to keep watch over those houses.  I have Federal Flood Insurance and regular house insurance for water that comes in other than flood, and there is nothing more I can do until this is over.

My house did not flood during Harvey, but another townhouse four from mine, had flood water coming in his back door and going out the front door.

If any of you are in the area that can flood, you should already have your supplies to get through a week at least, not needing outside agencies like water company or electric company.  I wish you well and I mean that.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2020, 12:19:01 am »
I Deferring to my Man from Bullhead City on this then.  My TKE meter spiked.

:beer:  Bro....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2020, 12:22:35 am »
@catfish1957

If it goes through Houston, going north only 25/30 miles, it will be where my townhouse is.  I won't be in that house but a friend will be to keep watch over those houses.  I have Federal Flood Insurance and regular house insurance for water that comes in other than flood, and there is nothing more I can do until this is over.

My house did not flood during Harvey, but another townhouse four from mine, had flood water coming in his back door and going out the front door.

If any of you are in the area that can flood, you should already have your supplies to get through a week at least, not needing outside agencies like water company or electric company.  I wish you well and I mean that.

@Victoria33 my heart goes out to you and to everyone in this storms path. 

PRAYERS UP -- STAY SAFE!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:59 am »

PRAYERS UP -- STAY SAFE!

Yes, dittos @Victoria33!  I am also praying for Humblegunner who lives in your neck of the woods. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2020, 12:47:25 am »
Yes, dittos @Victoria33!  I am also praying for Humblegunner who lives in your neck of the woods.
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, Humble and I had a plan - if his house blew away/was damaged, he could come to mine; if mine blew away/was damaged, I could go to his - if he or I ran out of something and the other had it,  each was welcome to come get some.  I miss him and Kartographer - Kart and I were close since we were both heavy duty preppers.  Kart was on here a few days, but he left due to conflict between people.  He needed a peaceful place.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2020, 01:11:51 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, Humble and I had a plan - if his house blew away/was damaged, he could come to mine; if mine blew away/was damaged, I could go to his - if he or I ran out of something and the other had it,  each was welcome to come get some.  I miss him and Kartographer - Kart and I were close since we were both heavy duty preppers.  Kart was on here a few days, but he left due to conflict between people.  He needed a peaceful place.

I miss Eaker, terribly.   :patriot:
I will NOT comply.

Offline thackney

« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2020, 02:01:37 am »

humblegunner has moved North of Bastrop.  We are in good shape for this storm, just expecting wind to pick up anything left laying loose that I missed picking up.  He still owns the old place but no longer resides there.

Take care and be well.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2020, 02:13:05 am »
humblegunner has moved North of Bastrop.  We are in good shape for this storm, just expecting wind to pick up anything left laying loose that I missed picking up.  He still owns the old place but no longer resides there.

Take care and be well.

Great to hear from you @thackney

Don't be such a stranger!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2020, 02:28:10 am »
If it takes a hurricane to get @thackney to post, then so be it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2020, 11:37:03 am »

PRAYERS UP -- STAY SAFE!

@Victoria33

Prayers for you, your husband  and Prissy. She’s such a tiny dog...put her up high on something.

Prayers for everyone. I hope this turns out to be a one or two, not a Sandy or worse. (I do not want to think of the other New Orleans one )
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2020, 11:39:35 am »

Humblegunner is close to Slings also. He seemed ok to me, he liked cats, and anyone who likes cats is a ok with me.

@thackney , be safe. You and your family.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:40:38 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2020, 12:45:13 pm »
No major change with the 7:00 am report.
Supposed to take a  more NNW then N turn before it makes landfall.
Hadn't seen the NNW turn yet.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2020, 01:53:19 pm »
Saw this morning, Wednesday, it may come in as a 4, a 4!
Will watch almost constantly today - surely not a 4!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Exploded overnight': Forecasters thunderstruck by Hurricane Laura's rapid overnight intensification
by Daniel Chaitin, Breaking News Editor |
 | August 26, 2020 08:39 AM

The rapid intensification of Hurricane Laura overnight has forecasters in awe as they warn residents of Texas and Louisiana of the escalating threat posed by the powerful storm.

The National Hurricane Center announced Wednesday morning that Laura has become a "major" Category 3 hurricane and could be briefly upgraded to Category 4 within 24 hours. Landfall is expected somewhere along the upper Texas or southwest Louisiana coasts Thursday morning.

Heavy rain, hurricane-force winds, widespread flash flooding, and storm surge that could reach 30 miles inland are all possible.

Aghast reactions by meteorologists and other scientists came pouring in early Wednesday as the forecast paints an increasingly grim picture.

Matt Lanza
@mattlanza
Thankfully for Houston, the track forecast has held up to our east, as Laura has quite simply exploded overnight, exactly what we were afraid of. Laura landfalls tonight as a major hurricane close to the Texas/Louisiana border.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/exploded-overnight-forecasters-thunderstruck-by-hurricane-lauras-rapid-overnight-intensification
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2020, 02:15:27 pm »
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #116 on: August 26, 2020, 03:30:32 pm »
Ugh!!!!
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #117 on: August 26, 2020, 04:06:27 pm »
Our business is closing at 3:30 this afternoon.
We will be closed tomorrow.
We may be back Friday, if everything goes well.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2020, 04:39:09 pm »
Laura 1000CDT Track Update

I see the Hurricane Warnings extend all the way up to Shreveport....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2020, 04:59:12 pm »
I see the Hurricane Warnings extend all the way up to Shreveport....

Just wind and rain and possible tornadoes(If that ain't enough). No appreciable storm surge 190 miles from the coast.

Offline HuskyPatriot

« Reply #120 on: August 26, 2020, 05:06:27 pm »
Take care and be well all in Laura's path!  Do try to keep your social distance from any funnel clouds!!!!  Seriously though, stay safe.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #121 on: August 26, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2020, 05:45:30 pm »
@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Gefn
@libertybele
@Everyone

Years ago, a man, in his 20s, came to my office, who went through a hurricane that came in near Cameron, LA.  (Don't remember the name but it was a terrible one).  He had never forgotten what happened to him, he was 7-8 yrs. old at that time.  His father was not there; was on a business trip.  His grandfather was also at their house.  The water filled the downstairs, so they moved upstairs.

The upstairs also flooded, so they managed to get on the roof of the house.  His grandfather fell off the roof and was never seen again.  His mother came off the roof so he went after her.  He tried to keep her head above water, but he was so young, did not have enough strength to keep them above water for a long time.  His mother was unconscious and slid out of his hands and went under the water.  She was never found.  He passed a tree and grabbed it, climbed up it and was there until a boat came and found him.

Of course, I told him he was not responsible for the death of his mother/grandfather.  We talked for a while about he could not stop what was happening - it was too much for a young boy to stop the flooding and save two people.

The story about his grandfather and mother was in the newspaper at that time, and he carried it in his billfold always.  As we talked, I asked him if he could now stop carrying the article.  He took it out and gave it to me.  He said he was now ready to take a new job and leave Cameron.  He left that story with me and was free to have a new life away from Cameron, LA.

There are going to be stories due to Laura and people will have the memory of this hurricane forever if they lose family members. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:56:38 pm by Victoria33 »

Online rustynail

« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2020, 06:02:50 pm »
Why hasn't Trump done anything?  Is this another Katrina?

The levees are closing in.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2020, 06:26:30 pm »
National Hurricane Center
@NHC_Atlantic
Unsurvivable storm surge with large and destructive waves will cause catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, Texas, to Intracoastal City, Louisiana, including Calcasieu and Sabine Lakes. This surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland from the immediate coastline. #Laura

Support the USO