Author Topic: AP Wonders: What Could Be Causing “A Surge In Violence” In America’s Cities?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2020/07/08/ap-wonders-causing-surge-violence-americas-cities/

AP Wonders: What Could Be Causing “A Surge In Violence” In America’s Cities?
ED MORRISSEY
July 8, 2020

Still reeling from the coronavirus pandemic and street protests over the police killing of George Floyd, exhausted cities around the nation are facing yet another challenge: a surge in shootings that has left dozens dead, including young children.

The spike defies easy explanation, experts say, pointing to the toxic mix of issues facing America in 2020: an unemployment rate not seen in a generation, a pandemic that has killed more than 130,000 people, stay-at-home orders, rising anger over police brutality, intense stress, even the weather.

“I think it’s just a perfect storm of distress in America,” said Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms after a weekend of bloodshed in her city.

Jerry Ratcliffe, a Temple University criminal justice professor and host of the “Reducing Crime” podcast, put it more bluntly: “Anybody who thinks they can disentangle all of this probably doesn’t know what they’re talking about."

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They are the only ones wondering.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

This is  somewhat like a reverse Fox Butterworth situation. Butterworth was the NY Times columnist who couldn't understand why we kept putting more people into prison when the violent crime rate was going down in the nineties.
I remember back in the sixties when the call was to be lenient with criminals. Society was to blame, and eliminating the death penalty, being more tolerant of poor, unfortunate people whose crimes were caused by poverty, lack of a good education, and failure of society to understand them was the new course of action.
Well, after they put a moratorium of the DP around 1967, the violent crime rate skyrocketed nationwide.
They re-instituted the DP ten years later. In 1977 Gary Gilmore was the first person to be executed after the moratorium was dropped. And they started handing out tougher sentences to violent offenders keeping them in prison longer.
Magically, the violent crime rate started dropping.
Yeah, it's just a mystery.  :whistle:

Online mountaineer

That's a real poser.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LegalAmerican

YES.  I want to slap my knee, and howl with laughter !  IDIOTS. 

Offline LegalAmerican

This is  somewhat like a reverse Fox Butterworth situation. Butterworth was the NY Times columnist who couldn't understand why we kept putting more people into prison when the violent crime rate was going down in the nineties.
I remember back in the sixties when the call was to be lenient with criminals. Society was to blame, and eliminating the death penalty, being more tolerant of poor, unfortunate people whose crimes were caused by poverty, lack of a good education, and failure of society to understand them was the new course of action.
Well, after they put a moratorium of the DP around 1967, the violent crime rate skyrocketed nationwide.
They re-instituted the DP ten years later. In 1977 Gary Gilmore was the first person to be executed after the moratorium was dropped. And they started handing out tougher sentences to violent offenders keeping them in prison longer.
Magically, the violent crime rate started dropping.
Yeah, it's just a mystery.  :whistle:

:thumbsup:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Buffalo News had a big front-page story this morning on how the lockdowns and cancelling everything had left people with nothing to do and thus caused a spike in homicides. It's curiously absent from the home page of their Web site this afternoon.

Democrats' policies at work.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The Buffalo News had a big front-page story this morning on how the lockdowns and cancelling everything had left people with nothing to do and thus caused a spike in homicides. It's curiously absent from the home page of their Web site this afternoon.

Democrats' policies at work.

The radio station I listen to on my commute reported alcohol consumption nationwide is down.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

You don't think it just might have something to do with the FRIGGIN RIOTS MAYBE? With the POLICE BEING ABANDONED BY CITY HALL AND DEFAMED AND STOOD DOWN? Maybe with CITY HALL KISSING THE RIOTERS A%^&*#?

Friggin idiots make my blood boil  9999hair out0000 *****rollingeyes*****

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline libertybele

You don't think it just might have something to do with the FRIGGIN RIOTS MAYBE? With the POLICE BEING ABANDONED BY CITY HALL AND DEFAMED AND STOOD DOWN? Maybe with CITY HALL KISSING THE RIOTERS A%^&*#?

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline skeeter

The media, collectively, are literally insane.

It’s happened in the course of human history before, and catastrophe always follows.

Offline roamer_1

Just ONE full-on ass-whoopin is all that's needed, and all of this will dry right up. JUST ONCE.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Just ONE full-on ass-whoopin is all that's needed, and all of this will dry right up. JUST ONCE.

I think one from the people...not from any law enforcement agency...is coming soon.

Offline roamer_1

I think one from the people...not from any law enforcement agency...is coming soon.

I certainly hope so. They won't go out where the rednecks are... They tried...
What I would leap for joy for, what I would shout in full-throated support of, is the black community turning on these thugs and giving them a proper beat-down. They know this ain't in their favor. Their homes and businesses are wrecked for years to come. If anybody has a bone to pick, and if anybody has the right, it would be them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I certainly hope so. They won't go out where the rednecks are... They tried...
What I would leap for joy for, what I would shout in full-throated support of, is the black community turning on these thugs and giving them a proper beat-down. They know this ain't in their favor. Their homes and businesses are wrecked for years to come. If anybody has a bone to pick, and if anybody has the right, it would be them.
I have said for years that the Black Community has to solve its own problems. When you consider the number of people in the streets, they are a small minority, and many of those are from somewhere else.

If the majority, the people in those neighborhoods stand up and literally run these mobs out, that would take care of it. You can't tell me (yet) that there aren't a significant number of people in there whose parents and grandparents would be ashamed and angry over what's going on in the streets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I have said for years that the Black Community has to solve its own problems. When you consider the number of people in the streets, they are a small minority, and many of those are from somewhere else.

If the majority, the people in those neighborhoods stand up and literally run these mobs out, that would take care of it. You can't tell me (yet) that there aren't a significant number of people in there whose parents and grandparents would be ashamed and angry over what's going on in the streets.

That's right... The only thing I remember from the St Louis riots a while back is a big black mamma with a big tall son, and she was slappin his narrow ass silly, all upside his head, right there on national tv. Now it may be I am reading in some context that ain't there, but I don't think so, because I seen that same look on my own mamma. I only seen a few seconds of it, but I know as a plain fact she caught him out in that riot, and beat his sorry ass all the way home.

And if that was my house, after all that, the old man would hear about it as soon as he got home, and the real beat down would happen. My old man would not put up with his boy acting like that... He'd take my measure, sure enough.

I remember that woman, I surely do. THAT's a mother, right there. She was doing right by that boy, and by her people there in the neighborhood. And that's what's missing.

Offline Smokin Joe

That's right... The only thing I remember from the St Louis riots a while back is a big black mamma with a big tall son, and she was slappin his narrow ass silly, all upside his head, right there on national tv. Now it may be I am reading in some context that ain't there, but I don't think so, because I seen that same look on my own mamma. I only seen a few seconds of it, but I know as a plain fact she caught him out in that riot, and beat his sorry ass all the way home.

And if that was my house, after all that, the old man would hear about it as soon as he got home, and the real beat down would happen. My old man would not put up with his boy acting like that... He'd take my measure, sure enough.

I remember that woman, I surely do. THAT's a mother, right there. She was doing right by that boy, and by her people there in the neighborhood. And that's what's missing.
It's no accident, and still going on that the people in the Government have Replaced the father as the family 'provider' and even pushed him out for the 'check' to be issued, then drugs come into the picture and mama either gets a job or a habit and doesn't watch little Dish'won who is off at school being primed with all sorts of SJW stuff before coming home to a neighborhood of missing fathers. Those boys, needing guidance and a sense of family, get it where they can, along with a feeling of power and belonging in a local street gang, which needs funding somehow, and leads down the wrong road, maybe even dealing the very reason mama isn't there. The Social Workers might swoop on that and grandma take mama's place, but with the grandmas getting younger, by virtue of shorter generations and spiraling out of wedlock births, the bar keeps sinking until the situation becomes more feral. Those who try to keep a traditional family will move out if they can, or stay if they can't and suffer abuse for it.
The underlying mentalities are reinforced by television, not decried by it, and that media-established 'normal' is pushed across cultural lines, with effects seen no longer in just the one community, but increasingly in other cultural demographics as well.
It is a subtle but insidious destruction of western civilization beginning at its core unit, the family, and it is intentional. People without traditions, without a sense of self and moral character, without the guidance of something bigger than they are, are easily manipulated and controlled. Make them ignorant of history and they can be told anything and believe it.
As for freedom? They don't even have a clue.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It's no accident, and still going on that the people in the Government have Replaced the father as the family 'provider' and even pushed him out for the 'check' to be issued, then drugs come into the picture and mama either gets a job or a habit and doesn't watch little Dish'won who is off at school being primed with all sorts of SJW stuff before coming home to a neighborhood of missing fathers. Those boys, needing guidance and a sense of family, get it where they can, along with a feeling of power and belonging in a local street gang, which needs funding somehow, and leads down the wrong road, maybe even dealing the very reason mama isn't there. The Social Workers might swoop on that and grandma take mama's place, but with the grandmas getting younger, by virtue of shorter generations and spiraling out of wedlock births, the bar keeps sinking until the situation becomes more feral. Those who try to keep a traditional family will move out if they can, or stay if they can't and suffer abuse for it.
The underlying mentalities are reinforced by television, not decried by it, and that media-established 'normal' is pushed across cultural lines, with effects seen no longer in just the one community, but increasingly in other cultural demographics as well.
It is a subtle but insidious destruction of western civilization beginning at its core unit, the family, and it is intentional. People without traditions, without a sense of self and moral character, without the guidance of something bigger than they are, are easily manipulated and controlled. Make them ignorant of history and they can be told anything and believe it.
As for freedom? They don't even have a clue.

That's exactly it. You know at the time, those men I looked up to were hard, hard men. Their approval was all I needed, but that was about the hardest thing to gain. I could not say I was a man without that approval, and in the end, that was what I craved. That legitimacy. Making my bones.

Their approval was very hard won. On everything. And compliments were few and far between. On everything. But one thing is sure - If they did compliment me, they dang well meant it, and every one I received was a treasure and a wonderment. Every one of those are still held fast in my heart.

Being an hard ass myself these days, I understand what they put me through, and why they did it. And I should thank God Almighty for every one of those impossible bastards, foremost of all of them, my father. I literally owe him everything I am. God bless that man. I miss him every day.

Brings to mind a study they made over in Africa... Elephants were getting scarce somewhere, so they shipped in some young bulls and cows(?) to build a new population. Well them young bulls proceeded to become a terror, running rampant in the land, to the point of endangerment of nearly everything that moves... How do you think they fixed it?

An old bull. The lot of em could have kicked him out, but they didn't. They fell in line. The rampages stopped dead.

There is something to be learned in that.

Good post.

Offline Smokin Joe

That's exactly it. You know at the time, those men I looked up to were hard, hard men. Their approval was all I needed, but that was about the hardest thing to gain. I could not say I was a man without that approval, and in the end, that was what I craved. That legitimacy. Making my bones.

Their approval was very hard won. On everything. And compliments were few and far between. On everything. But one thing is sure - If they did compliment me, they dang well meant it, and every one I received was a treasure and a wonderment. Every one of those are still held fast in my heart.

Being an hard ass myself these days, I understand what they put me through, and why they did it. And I should thank God Almighty for every one of those impossible bastards, foremost of all of them, my father. I literally owe him everything I am. God bless that man. I miss him every day.

Brings to mind a study they made over in Africa... Elephants were getting scarce somewhere, so they shipped in some young bulls and cows(?) to build a new population. Well them young bulls proceeded to become a terror, running rampant in the land, to the point of endangerment of nearly everything that moves... How do you think they fixed it?

An old bull. The lot of em could have kicked him out, but they didn't. They fell in line. The rampages stopped dead.

There is something to be learned in that.

Good post.
Thanks.

I grew up around a similar crew, whose praise was not forthcoming unless you'd done a great job. Just doing wasn't enough, it was reserved for 'above and beyond' or pushing past your former limits. The words "You did that well" or "You did a good job" were reserved for when you'd done very well.

No participation trophies from that crowd, and you knew if you got recognition, you had done something.

Similarly, among our peers, you had status for the things you were allowed to do and the tasks you did. Just driving the tractor was a start, moving up to hauling equipment around, taking the boat out by yourself, being entrusted with over 100 (wooden) decoys and the duck blind, and the like. Each step, each thing we could operate, even hunting, were all considered rites of passage on they way to manhood.

Interesting about the elephants, I have seen the same with an older dog and puppies.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@roamer_1  @Smokin Joe

Some very poignant things.

Some days I got to wear my own shirt. Somedays I had to wear my older brother's. And then other days I had to wear my little brother's shirts.  A hand me down to hand me up life.

I started working when I was 12. It was a simple concept. My dad told me if you really need something beyond what I am providing, get a job.  I've worked hard since.

My goal is to reach...theirs. Not money. Not fame. A maker of that thin veneer we call civilization. I don't care how many people die to make that.

Like always.

And it took only 33 years after that to hear my dad tell me he was proud of me.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley