Author Topic: AP Wonders: What Could Be Causing “A Surge In Violence” In America’s Cities?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
You don't think it just might have something to do with the FRIGGIN RIOTS MAYBE? With the POLICE BEING ABANDONED BY CITY HALL AND DEFAMED AND STOOD DOWN? Maybe with CITY HALL KISSING THE RIOTERS A%^&*#?

Friggin idiots make my blood boil  9999hair out0000 *****rollingeyes*****

Mine too, but that kind of "boiling" is not good for your health.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

Mine too, but that kind of "boiling" is not good for your health.

It's worse for theirs if they ever get in range of my meat-grabbers.  9999hair out0000

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
LOL!  Funny you should suggest that.

As I've stated here recently, I don't own any firearms.   But sure as God made little green apples, I have that list made up.

...maybe it's from watching so many action movies.   :laugh:
Learn how to use one. Learn which ones are best and how to tell which is which.
When the SHTF, there will be more than a few lying around.
Keep a very sharp knife to cut off their harness and snag the ammo, too, while exposing your self for as few seconds as possible.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Learn how to use one. Learn which ones are best and how to tell which is which.
When the SHTF, there will be more than a few lying around.
Keep a very sharp knife to cut off their harness and snag the ammo, too, while exposing your self for as few seconds as possible.

@Smokin Joe

Thanks, my FRiend.

Just happened to catch the latest "Terminator" movie.  There's a scene in the movie where Arnold opens up a room loaded stem to stern with every kind of weapon/firearm you could imagine.

He says, "I've calculated a 76% possibility that society is going to breakdown". 

PS:  Linda Hamilton looks like a dried up prune.  Make-up I'm sure.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Thanks, my FRiend.

Just happened to catch the latest "Terminator" movie.  There's a scene in the movie where Arnold opens up a room loaded stem to stern with every kind of weapon/firearm you could imagine.

He says, "I've calculated a 76% possibility that society is going to breakdown". 

Know ours, know theirs...

http://southtexasshooting.org/m16a2_army_tm_9_1005_319_10.pdf

https://info.publicintelligence.net/USMC-AK47-MaintenanceManual.pdf

Considering she's about my age, and done the Hollywood shtick, it's a miracle she looks as young as she does.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:40:43 am by Smokin Joe »

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Thanks, my FRiend.

[/quote]

@DCPatriot

If you are REALLY telling the truth about being an adult that is unfamiliar with firearms (I got my first gun,a  12 gauge double barrel,when I was 8),follow the KISS program. Keep It Simple,Stupid!

Avoid any handgun that isn't a revolver.  When it comes to revolvers,ONLY consider a 357 Magnum with a 6 inch barrelWhen it comes to rifles,start out with a lever-action 30/30. Preferably a Marlin 336 Forget about scopes. You ain't a sniper,and you won't be taking 200 yard shots. Plus,there is not one single area in the nation or Canada where you won't be able to easily buy ammo.

Mostly practice "point and shoot". Bullseye shooting is handy for learning how close the gun actually shoots  at distances up to 25 yards or so,and you won't be shooting a handgun any further than that unless you like giving your position away and love running out of ammo.

Practice both "point and shoot" with the rifle. Point and shoot at less than 25 yards,and aiming at longer distances. Try all weights of bullets in your 30/30 until you find out which ammo  brand and which weight bullet your particular rifle "likes" the most. ANY weight 30/30 bullet will do for shooting people,so let your rifle tell you which one it likes best.

Get to know both the rifle and the revolver well,and once you  are comfortable and knowledgeable about shooting,you can THEN think about "upgrading" (spending more money on fancy stuff to impress your friends with how cool you are and how much disposable income you have) to larger calibers and handguns with bells and whistles.

Last,and most certainly not least,is a good 12 gauge shotgun. Since you are a newbie,apply the KISS philosophy and buy  a double barrel. Preferably one with 18 inch barrels. It's ok if you get a good deal on one with 30 inch barrels to cut them down to 18 inches,but you owe it to yourself to check and make sure the name "Purdey","LC Smith",etc,etc,etc isn't stamped on the gun anywhere before you break out the hacksaw. If unsure,ALWAYS ask someone familiar with shotguns before cutting.

NOTHING beats a cut down 12 gauge double when it comes to convincing bad guys their mama's are calling them home.

Still,a pump or semi-auto shotgun is a better weapon simply because it has more shots. Once you convince yourself that guns don't have  a mind of their own and won't just shoot you in your sleep,look for a good 12 gauge pump (NOTHING beats a Ithaca Model 37!) or a auto-loader by pretty much anybody. If/when you buy an auto-loader make sure you you buy one with a full choke barrel,as well as the short 18 inch "slug barrel". You can swap barrels in minutes,and use it to hunt birds or rabbits if need be. Put the short barrel back on and hunt deer or bear.

If you buy a semi-auto or a pump gun,LOAD THE DAMN THING AND LEAVE IT ALONE AFTER PUTTING THE SAFETY IN THE ON POSITION!

It will NOT unload itself,and it will NOT take it's own safety off and shoot you or someone else,so there is NO FREAKING NEED TO KEEP FUMBLING WITH THE DAMN THING! Trust me on this.

If your money is tight,pawn shops can be a good place to buy used guns,most of which have spent most of their lives in a gun rack or a drawer. LOTS of used pawn shop guns look to have never been fired.

If,5 years from now you have it in your truck or car and get stopped by the police for some reason,and they discover the gun is stolen,you will have a receipt to prove when and where you bought it. THIS is the big charm to buying used guns at pawn shops,IMHO.

BTW,I once bought a WW-2 Remington-Rand 1911A1 in excellent original condition from a friend,and found out several months later he had reported it stolen and collected the insurance money. I now have a firm,unwavering policy of immediately pawning ANY used guy I buy from ANYONE because the police are always running numbers checks on used firearms at pawn shops. Better to find out now when you can track the bastard down and get your money back,than to have it happen months or years later,and lose both your money AND the gun,because you can believe the police WILL confiscate the gun and not give you one thin dime for it. at
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 03:31:19 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Thanks for the detailed information, @sneakypete

It's puzzling why you only think a "revolver" should be a choice in a handgun.  It's kind of limited.

I mean, if I am that guy in the YouTube video where bad guys are trying to pull me out of my car at some "peaceful protest", I would use those six bullets in record time.

Would rather have a couple of nine or thirteen shell clips at arm's length.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Smokin Joe

It's puzzling why you only think a "revolver" should be a choice in a handgun.  It's kind of limited.

I mean, if I am that guy in the YouTube video where bad guys are trying to pull me out of my car at some "peaceful protest", I would use those six bullets in record time.

Would rather have a couple of nine or thirteen shell clips at arm's length.
Revolvers are less likely to malfunction, and the hammerless varieties can even be fired right through your coat pocket, more than once.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@DCPatriot

Well,the prime consideration is that revolvers are MUCH safer for newbies that auto-loaders. Newbies with auto-loaders are constantly taking the mags out of the damn things to make sure they are loaded,and the dummies forget there is,or at least SHOULD be a live round in the chamber.

Not to mention,how many freaking shots do you think you are going to need at 10 foot shooting distances? If you need more than 6,you might as well shoot yourself with the first shot.

IMHO,semi-autos are the prime cause of family members being killed due to an "accidental discharge". Some fool that knows nothing about guns is playing with an auto-loader to make sure it is safe,and sure as hell,pulls the trigger with the magazine (NOT "clip") out because he doesn't realize there is a round in the chamber.

And the flip side,of course,is the newbie who has been told this that then gets so scared he does NOT keep a live round in the chamber,and then,when he needs it for self-defense,he pulls the trigger,nothing happens,and he gets killed because in that moment of panic he forgot (or didn't have time) to jack the slide and load the chamber.

You do NOT have ANY of these problems with a double-action (PLEASE note the "double-action" reference) revolver. They are the original "point and click" devices,and perfectly safe completely loaded. You can drop them or do anything else short of putting them in a fire,and they won't shoot unless you pull the trigger.

And for nervous newbies,you can tell at a quick glance that it is loaded because the case heads are in clear view at the rear of the cylinder,and the bullets can be seen from the front.

BTW,don't buy into that "Max Power Magnum" nonsense. People really aren't all that hard to kill if you put the bullet where it needs to go. Buy a 357 Magnum and practice shooting it with 38 Special ammo in it that recoils AND costs less until you become a competent shot,and then switch to shooting 357 Magnum loads.

IIRC,I have more than a couple of handguns laying around,and my normal "carry gun" locally is a 9 shot 22LR revolver with a 1-1/2 inch barrel and CCI hollowpoints in it. If I put one of those babies in your eye socket,you are just as dead as you would be if hit by artillery fire,and I am confident I can do that 9 times out of 9 at 10 feet or less.

My "go to town gun" is either my 5 shot 44 Special stainless steel Rossi with double action only and no rear sight to snag when I pull it out of my of my pocket. Only a milled groove. I carry 200 grain hollowpoints in it,and I have shot the heads off of running snakes with it. There is no amount of money in the world that can buy that revolver from me as they are no longer made.

The other "go to town pistol" is my all steel 45ACP Colt Combat Commander that I custom built to shoot my custom "banzi" loads that I handload. The slide on it won't even eject the spent brass if I shoot military ball in it,and if I shoot one of my "go to town" handloads in one of my stock 1911A1's,the slide slams back hard enough I can hear it when it happens.  No,I will NOT make that load info public.

The stock 1911's are for shooting ball ammo only. Military ball used to be a good source for reloadable brass years ago,and I would enjoy "snap shooting" at golf balls scattered around the yard with the stock guns,while gathering brass for my reloads. I doubt there is any surplus 45ACP ammo left anywhere in the world by now. I used to buy it by the case,and load 500 rounds at a time back when I was doing a lot of shooting.

I have a couple of 9mm and .380's laying around too,but just bought them to amuse myself because I had the money to burn at the time. Better than throwing rocks,but I don't have any faith in them. I once saw a guy take at least a dozen hits in the chest from a 9mm submachine gun once,and still manage to reture fire before he died and fell down. Haven't had much faith in 9mm's,since.

Oh,yeah. Do NOT confuse velocity with stopping power. Too much velocity and the bullet blows right through the bad guy without slowing down or doing anything to keep him from shooting you. I prefer loads that are balanced and favor heavy bullets of either wadcutter or hollowpoint design,depending on caliber.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 06:17:35 pm by sneakypete »

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just ONE full-on ass-whoopin is all that's needed, and all of this will dry right up. JUST ONCE.

I know there's plenty on the shelf but no one is willing to start opening them.  9999hair out0000

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
  I know there's plenty on the shelf but no one is willing to start opening them.  9999hair out0000

@GtHawk

I'm not,and I reluctantly admit it.

All bets are off the instant someone else shoots at me,though.

Offline Smokin Joe

@GtHawk

I'm not,and I reluctantly admit it.

All bets are off the instant someone else shoots at me,though.
Sooner or later, emboldened by the lack of meaningful resistance, someone is going to go too far with the wrong folks. When that happens, all Hell could break loose, and fast.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sooner or later, emboldened by the lack of meaningful resistance, someone is going to go too far with the wrong folks. When that happens, all Hell could break loose, and fast.

@Smokin Joe

It's now inevitable. There are generations of blacks now who have grown up honestly believing that white people are afraid of them,and won't fight back.

They are just too stupid to realize that we don't normally respond to aggression as quickly as they do because we would prefer to avoid it entirely if we can,but when we do get violent,we tend take it seriously. WE don't hold our guns sideways and fire in the general direction of people we want to kill. We fire directly into them.

White people have been a minority of the worlds population for the entire length of the time mankind has walked the world,yet we ended up dominating everyone else.

This didn't happen because we are swell dancers.

Sadly,I don't think the time is far off when these goobers are going to start learning old lessons.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

It's now inevitable. There are generations of blacks now who have grown up honestly believing that white people are afraid of them,and won't fight back.

They are just too stupid to realize that we don't normally respond to aggression as quickly as they do because we would prefer to avoid it entirely if we can,but when we do get violent,we tend take it seriously. WE don't hold our guns sideways and fire in the general direction of people we want to kill. We fire directly into them.

White people have been a minority of the worlds population for the entire length of the time mankind has walked the world,yet we ended up dominating everyone else.

Sadly,I don't think the time is far off when these goobers are going to start learning old lessons.
I am afraid you are right.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

@DCPatriot

Well,the prime consideration is that revolvers are MUCH safer for newbies that auto-loaders. Newbies with auto-loaders are constantly taking the mags out of the damn things to make sure they are loaded,and the dummies forget there is,or at least SHOULD be a live round in the chamber.

IMHO,semi-autos are the prime cause of family members being killed due to an "accidental discharge". Some fool that knows nothing about guns is playing with an auto-loader to make sure it is safe,and sure as hell,pulls the trigger with the magazine (NOT "clip") out because he doesn't realize there is a round in the chamber.

And the flip side,of course,is the newbie who has been told this that then gets so scared he does NOT keep a live round in the chamber,and then,when he needs it for self-defense,he pulls the trigger,nothing happens,and he gets killed because in that moment of panic he forgot (or didn't have time) to jack the slide and load the chamber.

You do NOT have ANY of these problems with a double-action (PLEASE note the "double-action" reference) revolver. They are the original "point and click" devices,and perfectly safe completely loaded. You can drop them or do anything else short of putting them in a fire,and they won't shoot unless you pull the trigger.

That's all real @sneakypete

About half of why I am going back to revolver is that I do not trust MYSELF with a semi-auto. All those many years with a .45 Colt single action, have made it, and its safety factors second nature...

I have resolved that while I catch myself making stupid mistakes with the 1911, I will not carry it chambered. And that has been my sad state for many months and many rounds. I don't think it's any harder to be safe with it, if it is what you're raised in, but it still ain't intuitive to me.

Not that I am likely to set it off or anything, as it is ingrained in me through long use, not to put my finger on the trigger unless go-bang, but I do not have the muscle-memory second nature with it... And maybe you just can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
That's all real @sneakypete

About half of why I am going back to revolver is that I do not trust MYSELF with a semi-auto. All those many years with a .45 Colt single action, have made it, and its safety factors second nature...

I have resolved that while I catch myself making stupid mistakes with the 1911, I will not carry it chambered. And that has been my sad state for many months and many rounds. I don't think it's any harder to be safe with it, if it is what you're raised in, but it still ain't intuitive to me.

Not that I am likely to set it off or anything, as it is ingrained in me through long use, not to put my finger on the trigger unless go-bang, but I do not have the muscle-memory second nature with it... And maybe you just can't teach an old dog new tricks.

@roamer_1

It has been MY experience that when it comes to matters of survival,the "KISS Principle" (Keep it simple,stupid) is the law of the land. Complications from things relatively new are no big deal on the range,but when it comes time to "root hog,or die" I need to go with what I know,and the less I have to remember the better off I am.

I was actually shooting 1911's way before I ever even handled a revolver,but I have came to truly love my 5 shot Rossi snub nose Single Action Only revolver with the hammer spur cut off. Also,consider this,I am a school-trained gunsmith,and the Rossi was so smooth out of the box I have never even had the side plate off of it. The only handgun I have ever owned that was "perfect out of the box". Less chance of an accidental discharge because the hammer won't cock,and with the bobbed hammer spur,if push comes to shove I can shoot it while it is still inside my jacket pocket without fear of the hammer getting caught in the lining. Of course I will have to be taking the jacket off pretty quickly to stomp out the fire,but that can be done when I have more time.

My old 70-series Combat Commander is my true love,though. I have shot the hell out of that thing over the decades,and rebuilt it a couple of times. Anybody or anything I shoot at with it is in a HEAP of freaking trouble. It only gets my "special" handloads,and eats them up.

Still,I don't and won't recommend a 1911 or any other auto-loader for a newbie shooter.

I once did a little custom work to the 1911A1 the wife of a friend of mine bought,despite my telling her over and over not to buy it,but to get a revolver. She had seen me empty my combat commander before the first shell casing hit the ground,and thought she could do that,too. She had never owned or shot a handgun in her life,but her husband often worked out of state on big contracts,and she owned a ran her own pottery shop,and decided she needed a handgun for protection when hubby was away.

So I bought a number of revolvers suitable for her to put in her apron pocket while working in her shop for her to handle and shoot. Didn't do a bit of good. She HAD to have a 1911

A few months later she called me at 3 AM,whispering "somebody is trying to break in downstairs,and I can't remember how to load the gun."

Buy 'em books,send them to school,.......
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:05:50 am by sneakypete »

Offline LegalAmerican

@Smokin Joe

This is why I like Will Johnson.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

It has been MY experience that when it comes to matters of survival,the "KISS Principle" (Keep it simple,stupid) is the law of the land. Complications from things relatively new are no big deal on the range,and when it comes time to "root hog,or die" I need to go with what I know,and the less I have to remember the better off I am.

@sneakypete
That's right... And I am fearful - well that's too big a word - cautious of that fact... I don't want to have to worry about it if a griz walks out on the trail. And I wouldn't worry about it if that ol Colt was where it belongs.

Folks can laugh at that ol cowboy gun all they want, but if that peacemaker is in my hand, I can dot your eye at 60, maybe 70 feet, without even thinking about it, hardly even aiming, which is all that really matters.

I can probably come fair to that with the 1911, or somewhat close (I'm alright), but EVEN YET, I am unconsciously trying to pull the trigger back, which is still just so ingrained in me that I can't stop doing it. I still jump a wee bit in a two-hand stance, because two hands like that with a revolver will burn the crap out of your left palm... I AM worried that in a pinch I will forget to jack a round, forget to pull it off safety, or some such... I am getting really good at dropping and switching out mags - That's a new thing, so I am not fighting my nature on that, but really that is stupid pet tricks for the most part. REALLY, if I ain't got it done in two rounds, four at the outside, I am probably gonna get my ticket punched anyway. It's the draw and the first two rounds that make all the difference, and if that ain't greased by muscle memory it's probably wasting time.

Now, that comes as a utility - I am not worried about a zombie apocalypse, or taking out multiple targets - Under which condition, that auto, properly handled, would probably be superior... But in reality that is an unlikely scenario for me. If I am pulling that hawgleg I have already used up my carbine, and whatever it is is damn close, and it is probably too late already. That I have six or eight is likely a moot point... as is my ability to reload. That is the likely scenario.

Still,I don't and won't recommend a 1911 or any other auto-loader for a newbie shooter.

I ain't new by a long shot, but I never really got the gun bug... It's nothing but a tool to me, and like any tool, I find what works and use it till I use it well - That means I have pretty well stuck with the stuff I used off the get-go and got really, really good with it.... a Colt revolver, a winchester 30/30 lever gun for the bush, a Rem 700 platform with a partiality to Shepherd optics for my reach out and touch someone gear, and a winchester or rem pump 12g...  That's it. It has always been enough, so I never wandered much.

Lately things have changed some... Went to 300winmag for my main rifle - Still Rem700, so I adapted well... Went to a Marlin 45/70 lever gun - Again, more poop, but basically the same, and I adapted well... I ain't happy with the lever itself, and I am seeking to change that part (too small for my fingers with gloves on), and cleaning it is somewhat different, but the operational action itself is the same dang thing, so adjustments are minimal. But that pistol ain't the same, nowhere near, and attempted adapting at this late hour is likely a mistake.

I will keep the ACP around I guess... Get to where I am used to it... but the six-shooter is going back on my belt, and I doubt it will ever leave again.

Offline LegalAmerican

Still the same. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The Barbary slave trade refers to the White slave markets that flourished on the Barbary Coast of North Africa, or modern-day Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and western Libya, between the 15th and 19th centuries. These markets prospered while the states were nominally under Ottoman suzerainty, but in reality they were mostly autonomous. The North African slave markets traded in European slaves. The European slaves were acquired by Barbary pirates in slave raids on ships and by raids on coastal towns from Italy to Spain, Portugal, France, England, the Netherlands, and as far afield as Ireland and Iceland. Men, women, and children were captured, to such a devastating extent that vast numbers of sea coast towns were abandoned.
Ohio State University history Professor Robert Davis describes the White Slave Trade as minimized by most modern historians in his book Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters: White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast and Italy, 1500–1800. Davis estimates that 1 million to 1.25 million white Christian Europeans were enslaved in North Africa, from the beginning of the 16th century to the middle of the 18th, by slave traders from Tunis, Algiers, and Tripoli alone, and roughly 700 Americans were held captive in this region as slaves between 1785 and 1815. 16th- and 17th-century customs statistics suggest that Istanbul's additional slave import from the Black Sea may have totaled around 2.5 million from 1450 to 1700. The markets declined after the loss of the Barbary Wars and finally ended in the 1830s, when the region was conquered by France.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
That's right... And I am fearful - well that's too big a word - cautious of that fact... I don't want to have to worry about it if a griz walks out on the trail. And I wouldn't worry about it if that ol Colt was where it belongs.

@roamer_1

There is no comparison between a 45 LC round and a 45 ACP round,other than the old "saw" that states,"A 45 acp round is like a 45 LC round set on "stun"."

Yeah,the 1911 is a LOT quicker to reload,but reloading is NOT going to be a factor if you run across a grizzly on a trail. Shot placement,bullet weight and design,and velocity are what is going to be important,and the 45 LC will win that contest every time.

Of course,we are talking about handloads,here. Not much difference in bullet weights,but a hell of a lot of difference in impact if you are loading that old Colt case with modern powders and shooting a modern Ruger instead of an antique 1873 Colt.

Then again,a grizzly bear is NOT the type of creature you run into while visiting an actual city,and the ACP round will work just fine for city creatures,who really don't have all that much will to live.

I can probably come fair to that with the 1911, or somewhat close (I'm alright), but EVEN YET, I am unconsciously trying to pull the trigger back, which is still just so ingrained in me that I can't stop doing it.

Muscle memory is everything when it comes to rapid reaction.

I AM worried that in a pinch I will forget to jack a round, forget to pull it off safety, or some such.

THE very reasons why I never suggest a semi-auto handgun for a newbie. The trouble you have is nothing compared to the trouble someone not familiar with shooting would have.

I am getting really good at dropping and switching out mags -

I can do that and not even think about it while it's happening. Too busy picking out new targets and observing old ones to make sure they ain't still moving.Tunnel vision is your friend in a firefight. You only see what is important.

Lately things have changed some... Went to 300winmag for my main rifle - Still Rem700, so I adapted well...

I'll stick with my 300 H&H magnum.

Went to a Marlin 45/70 lever gun -

You really can't beat a Marlin when it comes to lever rifles.

I created a wildcat while in gunsmith school that would probably be handy for you if you can adapt to a bolt gun for trail use. Based on a Siamese 98 Mauser because of the bolt face (rimmed cartridge),the round itself is based on a .348 Winchester case blown out to accept a .375 bullet. Basically,you end up up with 375 H&H ballistics out of a medium action rifle. If you ever run into anything you can't take down with a 375 H&H,you need to try running away first,and shooting as an act of desperation.

I will keep the ACP around I guess... Get to where I am used to it... but the six-shooter is going back on my belt, and I doubt it will ever leave again.

Going with what works best for you is a hard plan to beat.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:40:18 am by sneakypete »