Author Topic: 45 Years Later, The B-1 Bomber Has Still Got It  (Read 373 times)

rangerrebew

45 Years Later, The B-1 Bomber Has Still Got It
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:17:57 pm »

45 Years Later, The B-1 Bomber Has Still Got It

The bomber flew from South Dakota to Japan in a 30-hour, roundtrip flight.
By Kyle Mizokami   
May 1, 2020

A B-1B bomber flew from South Dakota to Japan and back, a 30+ hour round trip mission.

The mission took place after the Air Force recalled bombers from Guam, ending a longstanding mission.

The Air Force is planning to substitute forward deployed bombers for unexpected, long range missions that train crews for wartime missions.

A U.S. Air Force B-1B bomber conducted a marathon 30-hour mission, flying from South Dakota to Japan and back. The mission is part of the Air Force’s shift away from stationing bombers overseas at vulnerable air bases to training crews for the kind of long distance flights necessary during a wartime scenario.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a32337451/b-1-bomber-long-flight/

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: 45 Years Later, The B-1 Bomber Has Still Got It
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 12:27:55 pm »
I seen a couple at the Chicago air shows many years ago. Very impressive machine, it was awesome to feel the thrust hit your chest when it flew away from you.
The Republic is lost.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 08:31:09 pm »
I seem to recall B-1 Bob Dornan taking a lot of flack from the left for his adamant support of the B-1 Bomber. Good to see proof that he was absolutely correct.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:45:36 pm »
Any day that Jimmy Carter is proved full of shit is a good day....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:53:56 am »
I remember taking a pro-B1 position in a debate in high school civics... Doesn't seem that long ago...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 05:30:06 am »
I seem to recall B-1 Bob Dornan taking a lot of flack from the left for his adamant support of the B-1 Bomber. Good to see proof that he was absolutely correct.
He was fun to watch on C-SPAN, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 10:55:23 am »
I can't figure out what it's exact status is.  A few months ago it seemed to be the bomber was on it's way out and the Navy was going to buy them for some reason.  Now I'm seeing articles about how great it is. :shrug: