Author Topic: Justin Amash Floats Potential Run for President Against Trump  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Re: Justin Amash Floats Potential Run for President Against Trump
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2020, 01:04:47 pm »
You said only I would offer such a "ludicrous" explanation for Cruz's decision to board the Trump Train.  I then asked how you knew I was the only one.  That is what I meant by polling everybody -- to see if I'm the only one who believed it.  As you can see if you read further in this thread, there are a few here who thought the same.

You don't know Ted's motivation either.  Maybe you got that from something he said ar the time.  I don't know.  I just said I don't buy whatever the official explanation was for his reversal.  Remember -- originally, he said to "vote your conscience" and many Trump supporters were livid that he didn't come out and say vote for Trump.    Then he later said he was on board with Trump.  I don't believe it was a coincidence that he changed his mind about the time he was running for re-election to the senate.    The "good of the party" or the "good of the country" took a back seat to Cruz's political ambitions. 

You can't prove your statement that Cruz came on board for the good of the country and the party.  Admittedly, I can't prove my assertion there were personal political motives for his decision.  But I have seen how politicians work.  Ted is a politician.  Trump is a politician.  Do you really believe Trump wants to make America great again?  Maybe he does to some degree, but the primary motivation for everything he does is to benefit himself.  That sort of thing has been going on as long as politics has existed.  Neither Cruz nor Trump is any different from any other politician.

No. Other people have all kinds of feelings about Cruz. I don’t need a poll to tell me that, nor was that the point of contention in this argument. Your suggestion to take s poll is just an attempted diversion on your part, hoping to sidestep what it was I called you on. I called you out for claiming to KNOW what Ted Cruz’s inner thoughts were...your claim to KNOW his motivations. THAT is what is ludicrous.

The rest of us are judging Cruz’s actions, rightly or wrongly...you claim to know his internal thoughts.

Many here have varied views on Cruz’s choices post Primary...only YOU claimed to know his thoughts. That specific claim is what has been called ludicrous....and your avoidance in owning up to the absurdity of that claim speaks volumes...your attempt to claim others feel as you do is dishonest....others, that I’ve seen here, may disapprove of Cruz...that much is doubtless true. However, only you claim to be able to plumb his inner depths and read his mind.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:57:35 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2020, 02:30:31 pm »
And we are sitting by and watching this stuff happen.  Pretending its the best thing since apple pie.

White House Confirms It's Purging Disloyal Employees 'From the Bowels of the Federal Government'
Administration will "take appropriate action" when officials find workers not sufficiently loyal to Trump, spokesman says.
February 25, 2020

he White House this week confirmed it is combing through federal agencies to identify employees not sufficiently loyal to President Trump to facilitate their ouster, sparking concerns the administration could run afoul of long-established civil service laws.

The administration is examining employees throughout the government to find anyone taking action officials decide represents an effort to undermine Trump, White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said on Fox News Monday. Gidley did not specifically mention career employees, who are statutorily protected against political retaliation, but did note the “millions” of individuals agencies employ. By contrast, there are only about 4,000 political appointees in government.

“It’s not a secret that we want people in positions that work with this president, not against him, and too often we have people in this government—I mean the federal government is massive, with millions of people—and there are a lot people out there taking action against this president and when we find them we will take appropriate action,” Gidley said.

His comments followed reports in Axios that the administration maintains “deep state” hit lists of employees to fire and the president has tasked the head of the Presidential Personnel Office, Johnny McEntee, to purge “bad people” who are not loyal to him.

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2020/02/white-house-confirms-its-purging-disloyal-employees-bowels-federal-government/163316/

Just like the reason Justin Amash is considering running following the President announcing he had total authority over the states.  He is purging everyone who isn't loyal.  Doesn't want to go along.  The president is working on his own understanding.  Not the law.  Many people doing their jobs according to the law are being fired.  Sessions was one.

And the deep state to Trump is anyone who doesn't go along with Trump.

"If men could learn from history, what lessons it might teach us! But passion and party blind our eyes, and the light which experience gives us is a lantern on the stern which shines only on the waves behind."
Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."
Winston Churchill

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 02:41:03 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2020, 05:20:18 pm »
No. Other people have all kinds of feelings about Cruz. I don’t need a poll to tell me that, nor was that the point of contention in this argument. Your suggestion to take s poll is just an attempted diversion on your part, hoping to sidestep what it was I called you on. I called you out for claiming to KNOW what Ted Cruz’s inner thoughts were...your claim to KNOW his motivations. THAT is what is ludicrous.

The rest of us are judging Cruz’s actions, rightly or wrongly...you claim to know his internal thoughts.

Many here have varied views on Cruz’s choices post Primary...only YOU claimed to know his thoughts. That specific claim is what has been called ludicrous....and your avoidance in owning up to the absurdity of that claim speaks volumes...your attempt to claim others feel as you do is dishonest....others, that I’ve seen here, may disapprove of Cruz...that much is doubtless true. However, only you claim to be able to plumb his inner depths and read his mind.

You're the one who first claimed that Cruz became Pro-Trump for the good of the party and country.  You never backed up your claim either.

What we both posted are opinions.  Do you know what an opinion is?

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2020, 08:26:36 pm »
You're the one who first claimed that Cruz became Pro-Trump for the good of the party and country.  You never backed up your claim either.

What we both posted are opinions.  Do you know what an opinion is?

I expressed an opinion that his actions were good for the party and country because they led to a GOP victory in the Presidential election...and were actions that put national interest above personal interest. None of that involved mind reading.

You can quite reasonably disagree with my view, but you went WAY beyond that. You claimed to know the man's inner thoughts...and yes...that's ludicrous.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:21:04 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2020, 08:35:44 pm »
I expressed an opinion that his actions were good for the party and country because they led to a GOP victory in the Presidential election...and were actions that put national interest above personal interest. None of that involved mind reading.

You can quite reasonably disagree with my view, but you want WAY beyond that. You claimed to know the man's inner thoughts...and yes...that's ludicrous.

I think many of us make the same mistake of sometimes ascribing motives behind actions that go far beyond what those actions would indicate. I’ll cop to doing that myself, sometimes.   888blackhat

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2020, 08:56:22 pm »
God forbid we become the party favored by Blue Collar workers...which is precisely what Trump said and meant. These are the folks that just want the government off their backs and out of their pockets...which is why they voted Trump.

These are Essential Workers, that drive your food to your local store, where they stock the shelves and ring, bag your purchases.

Factory, auto workers that lost jbs to Mexico and China.

God forbid the GOP admit ordinary people, alongside the paper pushers.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2020, 09:03:30 pm »
God forbid we become the party favored by Blue Collar workers...which is precisely what Trump said and meant. These are the folks that just want the government off their backs and out of their pockets...which is why they voted Trump.

:thumbsup: @Mesaclone

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2020, 06:45:21 pm »
:thumbsup: @Mesaclone

Trump isn't for blue collar workers.  He has been working against them hardly without notice.  He wants media that only reports what he wants the "workers" to see.  Not that he keeps raising work visa's that take jobs from Americans.  Not that he is giving amnesty either.

People should recognize what Trump is doing.  He is setting himself up a total loyal government.  Titles have very little meaning as he can replace anyone with his loyal subjects.  Who gives a crap if they have the necessary job requirements.  Only have to be loyal.  People who have supported him loyally.

History is full of those kind of people.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2020, 06:47:16 pm »
Trump isn't for blue collar workers.  He has been working against them hardly without notice.  He wants media that only reports what he wants the "workers" to see.  Not that he keeps raising work visa's that take jobs from Americans.  Not that he is giving amnesty either.

People should recognize what Trump is doing.  He is setting himself up a total loyal government.  Titles have very little meaning as he can replace anyone with his loyal subjects.  Who gives a crap if they have the necessary job requirements.  Only have to be loyal.  People who have supported him loyally.

History is full of those kind of people.
*****rollingeyes*****

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2020, 07:08:02 pm »
Only promise Trump made to happen Day One was the elimination of H1-b Visas.  He met with the power brokers in tech, and they convinced him to increase H1-b Visas.  Now, with this virus and the loss of tens of millions of jobs, what is Trump doing for American workers?  NOTHING!!!

If he does not end immigration as Jeff Sessions has suggested, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!!

If he continues H1-b Visas, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!!

If he continues to listen to these medical bureaucrats he has surrounded himself with, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!

Frankly, I am tired of this idiocy. 

Don't worry, I will still vote for him, because a Dem would be the true kiss of death for America, but right now, Trump is not doing things for making America great!!!!

And Amash?  Amash who?  One more nobody!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:09:39 pm by jafo2010 »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2020, 07:11:46 pm »
Only promise Trump made to happen Day One was the elimination of H1-b Visas.  He met with the power brokers in tech, and they convinced him to increase H1-b Visas.  Now, with this virus and the loss of tens of millions of jobs, what is Trump doing for American workers?  NOTHING!!!

If he does not end immigration as Jeff Sessions has suggested, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!!

If he continues to listen to these medical bureaucrats he has surrounded himself with, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!

Don't worry, I will still vote for him, because a Dem would be the true kiss of death for America, but right now, Trump is not doing things for making America great!!!!

Let the "ideological purists" have their candidate.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2020, 07:16:50 pm »

Good post.  I understand.  I think many will vote for Trump with the same feelings.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:45 pm »

The new name created for the ones who don't go along with dictator Trump.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 07:28:03 pm »
We went completely backwards from Trumps campaign promises.  Does anyone ever remember this being posted?

President Trump’s amnesty plan would potentially give a pathway to U.S. citizenship to an illegal alien population that is roughly six times the number of illegal aliens that were given temporary amnesty under former President Obama.

An almost final draft of the White House’s expansive amnesty plan obtained by Breitbart News reveals that the Trump administration would be expanding Obama’s federal, temporary amnesty—known as the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program—to six times the number of illegal aliens who are enrolled in the DACA.

Former Koch brothers executive Marc Short, who previously led the failed “Never Trump” effort inside the pro-mass immigration billionaires’ network, helped craft the White House amnesty plan, along with Chief of Staff Gen. John Kelly, Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, and senior adviser Stephen Miller...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/01/28/trumps-draft-amnesty-citizenship-illegal-alien-population-six-times-size-obamas-daca/

Betrayal! Trump grants amnesty to 125,000 illegals in 3 months
Daniel Horowitz · June 8, 2017

Today, we have unveiled a real scandal in the Trump administration. And no, it has nothing to do with James Comey.
While much of the conservative media is consumed with Comey and Russia, they are missing the irony of defending an administration without even securing some key policy outcomes. The latest betrayal to the Right is the confirmation that Trump’s DHS has issued almost 125,000 “DACA” cards (per Obama’s unlawful Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals order) to illegal aliens through the second quarter of this fiscal year (January through March).

According to newly published data from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Trump administration has issued 17,275 initial amnesty cards and over 107,500 renewals of existing status.

This surpasses the 122,000 level of amnesty cards issued during the final quarter of Obama’s presidency (Oct. 1-Dec. 31, 2016), which means the Trump administration is not even slowing down the pace! And although the first 20 days of this quarter were still under Obama’s tenure, the Trump amnesty is likely close to 200,000 by now, when extrapolating in the number of presumed cards issued during April and May.

Thus, while Trump’s own lawful immigration order lies in ruins from tyrannical courts – with no effort to fight back through Congress – Obama’s patently unconstitutional DACA order remains in full force even after his presidency.

https://www.conservativereview.com/news/betrayal-trump-grants-amnesty-to-125000-illegals-in-3-months/

I don't because it isn't what Trump wants his base to hear.  Skip down memory lane.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:46:25 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 07:29:22 pm »
Good post.  I understand.  I think many will vote for Trump with the same feelings.
IKR.  It completely changed my point of view.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2020, 07:32:01 pm »
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/06/h-1b-visa-denial-rates-skyrocket-under-trump/
President Donald Trump’s promised crackdown on the H-1B visa had a dramatic impact last year, according to recently released federal data that shows immigration officials denied nearly one out of every four requests for new visas for skilled foreign workers.That’s the highest denial rate for new H-1B visa applications in nearly 10 years and almost double the 13 percent rate in the prior fiscal year.

He did not promise to get rid of ALL of them, and as promised has cut way back on approvals.

If he does not end immigration as Jeff Sessions has suggested, Trump is working for who?  Legal immigration is, was and ever will be fundamental to the greatness of the United States. We are all the children of immigrants. As for illegal immigration, no president has done nearly as much to fight this as Trump in the modern era.Not Americans!!!

If he continues H1-b Visas, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!! It would be foolish to eliminate ALL of these Visas in the short term.

If he continues to listen to these medical bureaucrats he has surrounded himself with, Trump is working for who?  Not Americans!!What kind of leader would ignore his medical experts...hopefully no one with any real authority. He listens, considers their information, and then factors in the needs of the economy and our citizens...precisely as he should. His job is to balance medical expertise with other concerns...and he is doing it quite well.

Frankly, I am tired of this idiocy.  On this we can agree.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2020, 07:59:07 pm »
goopo

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2020, 08:12:14 pm »
I know that Glenn Beck has been promoted on this site as someone relevant.  He seems to like Amash.  I am not certain I would vote for him yet, but will be watching very closely.

Glenn Beck: “Justin Amash is the man I have been waiting for my whole life”….

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/06/02/glenn-beck-justin-amash-is-the-man-i-have-been-waiting-for-my-whole-life/

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »
Well while I was excited at the prospect of someone else to vote for with a Conservative voting record I find that Amash has some very disturbing votes also.  He voted against Kates Law.  He voted with Democrats against defunding sanctuary cities.

I am going to continue to watch this guy, but his sparkle has lost its shine for now.

As @jafo2010 pointed out Trump is not for Americans.  I still will refrain from voting for Trump.  Likely write in a name.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2020, 09:42:29 pm »
Well while I was excited at the prospect of someone else to vote for with a Conservative voting record I find that Amash has some very disturbing votes also.  He voted against Kates Law.  He voted with Democrats against defunding sanctuary cities.

I am going to continue to watch this guy, but his sparkle has lost its shine for now.

As @jafo2010 pointed out Trump is not for Americans.  I still will refrain from voting for Trump.  Likely write in a name.

So desperate to do everything in your power to get Joe Biden elected...not good for your mental health to obsess like this.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2020, 10:01:27 pm »
So desperate to do everything in your power to get Joe Biden elected...not good for your mental health to obsess like this.

Trump has exceeded my expectations. Not perfect, but far better than expected. Far, FAR better than the last republican to hold that office.

I'll vote for his re-election with enthusiasm.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:19 pm »
Trump has exceeded my expectations. Not perfect, but far better than expected. Far, FAR better than the last republican to hold that office.

I'll vote for his re-election with enthusiasm.

President Trump has exceeded my expectations with regard to the coronavirus, I might be open to looking at him in a new light in Nov, but I just can't stand some of his supporters.  Not you @skeeter

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:45 pm »
As @jafo2010 pointed out Trump is not for Americans. 

Oh, do tell us why.  Pretty please.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2020, 11:57:15 pm »
President Trump has exceeded my expectations with regard to the coronavirus, I might be open to looking at him in a new light in Nov, but I just can't stand some of his supporters.  Not you @skeeter

I've experienced the same sentiment from both pro and con Trump sides now, @Once-Ler. One on TOS, the other here.

Granted, my feelings were stronger on TOS. There were a few poster there I woulda happily beat the snot outta.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:06:57 am by skeeter »