Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 159278 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #1750 on: April 28, 2020, 01:57:22 pm »
Does it ever make you wonder how your grandaddy did?

I am old enough to remember not having AC at all. But with other things we get acclimated to certain creature comforts.

But, I am not a drunk, a druggie, or a wife beater.  By By Gosh I am addcited to my HVAC between May and November, and lo to any varmit that would make my thermostat go above 74 degrees.  That is why I have an upstairs AC and a downstairs unit.  So anything outside a hurricane?  I'll be fine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1751 on: April 28, 2020, 01:59:09 pm »
I wish I had enough faith in that.

I live near the NY-PA border. Tom Wolf said he was going to begin the process of reopening PA on May 8, but Cuomo—even though he said he was going to coordinate this with the neighboring states—isn't budging from May 15 and is also dropping hints he might even stretch that further in harder-hit regions (he also noted that construction and manufacturing are the only businesses he'll open on the first step and won't consider any others until May 29). Of course, I happen to live in a region that, despite a number of active cases I can count on my fingers, is tethered to Buffalo, which is still struggling to rein this virus in. (Unlike the state as a whole, there's been no appreciable decline in hospitalizations there.)

Part of it is that as a musician/entertainer of some repute around here who relies on performing as a substantial portion of my meager income, these lockdowns have been especially hard on me. I was very lucky that I ended up winning a prize in a talent competition just a few days before everything started getting canceled. But with the "attractive nuisances" prohibition Cuomo's proposing, I might not have any more chances for a long while other than in front of a webcam.

I certainly understand your pessimism based on where you live.  I wouldn't have any confidence in New York's or PA's state leadership to do anything right....... their ineptness contributed to the mess they're in now., and they're not likely to be concerned about small businesses or people like you who depend on audiences.   It's tough going for those who don't make a big fortune as an artist, but count on small gigs to keep afloat. My best to you....

(btw, BIG Congratulations on your winning a talent competition!  What do you do?)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1752 on: April 28, 2020, 02:01:33 pm »
Hurray!!!  Finally!!!! They just announced that they are re-opening the parks!!!  Playgrounds in the park will remain closed, but bicycle paths and walking trails will be open!!!  I am doing a Happy Dance and can't wait to go to one of the parks tomorrow!!!  The neighborhood beach and pools still remain closed.  Kayaking/canoeing allowed too.

GREAT!  I really think that once a few states open up, the others are going to feel the pressure to do the same.

Have fun!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1753 on: April 28, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »
Great Point @musiclady

I believe President Trump has saved tens of thousands of lives by his actions and leadership, but because of my admitted TDS I don't think my opinion is acceptable to some hardcore Trumpers.  Hopefully my gratitude for the American people following his advice isn't misconstrued as support for China somehow.

I'm not sure why he's done it, based on his personality "issues," but he seems to be listening to wise counsel and striking the right balance between protection and freedom......... both of which are in his job description (which I'm still sure he hasn't read).

Now if he'd measure his words and keep quiet most of the time, he might just win reelection......

Though I'm pretty sure doing that is beyond him.  :shrug:

@Once-Ler

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1754 on: April 28, 2020, 02:07:13 pm »
GREAT!  I really think that once a few states open up, the others are going to feel the pressure to do the same.

Have fun!

@musiclady

I think you are mostly right about that. Once a couple of states stay "open" for two weeks and the infection level stays stable or continues to decline,it's going to be hard for any non-Dim state to stay shut down.

Dim states,or course,are going to continue to stay shut down and cause as much "pain" as possible for as long as they can get by with blaming it on Trump.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1755 on: April 28, 2020, 02:13:19 pm »
@musiclady

I think you are mostly right about that. Once a couple of states stay "open" for two weeks and the infection level stays stable or continues to decline,it's going to be hard for any non-Dim state to stay shut down.

Dim states,or course,are going to continue to stay shut down and cause as much "pain" as possible for as long as they can get by with blaming it on Trump.

Exactly right.

And that's why Dim states like NY and MI are in such a mess now.  They were so anxious to accuse Trump that they put their states in danger.  And now they're blaming Trump for their own idiocy.

Maybe enough people in their states will see what the stupidity has cost them and get rid of them?  (Wishful thinking....... )

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1756 on: April 28, 2020, 02:33:26 pm »
I certainly understand your pessimism based on where you live.  I wouldn't have any confidence in New York's or PA's state leadership to do anything right....... their ineptness contributed to the mess they're in now., and they're not likely to be concerned about small businesses or people like you who depend on audiences.   It's tough going for those who don't make a big fortune as an artist, but count on small gigs to keep afloat. My best to you....

(btw, BIG Congratulations on your winning a talent competition!  What do you do?)
I'll mention it in the Members Lounge. Gimme a second.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1757 on: April 28, 2020, 02:36:05 pm »
I'll mention it in the Members Lounge. Gimme a second.

Will do!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1758 on: April 28, 2020, 03:10:00 pm »

Maybe enough people in their states will see what the stupidity has cost them and get rid of them?  (Wishful thinking....... )

@musiclady

Sad,but true. Those people have never done any original thinking in the past,so why would they start now?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1759 on: April 28, 2020, 03:39:48 pm »
@musiclady

Sad,but true. Those people have never done any original thinking in the past,so why would they start now?

No reason that I can think of.  Michigan will stay blue even though they have a tyrannical nincompoop as Governor.

Of course, if you could excise Detroit, they'd have a fighting chance. There are lots of good people up there.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1760 on: April 28, 2020, 05:09:11 pm »
President Trump is doing a live press conference with Gov Desantis and Dr Brix now.  Smart to preempt Gov. Cuomo's confrence, prop up Trump and Desantis poll numbers in FL, and build confidence with the people of FL. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1761 on: April 28, 2020, 06:22:44 pm »
President Trump is doing a live press conference with Gov Desantis and Dr Brix now.  Smart to preempt Gov. Cuomo's confrence, prop up Trump and Desantis poll numbers in FL, and build confidence with the people of FL.

Disagree.  What is needed in FL is an IMMEDIATE remedy to the vast majority of people who have filed for unemployment and who either can't get through because of the antiquated system or who were denied and who should qualify under the CARES Act. The system was shutdown for several days, because supposedly they needed the time to send the checks out!  B.S.  Millions have been out of work because of the business mandate to shutdown since March. No unemployment checks in site.  No extended unemployment relief.  DeSantis isn't going to score any points sitting up in Capitol Hill with Trump boasting how well FL is doing when we aren't.

Trump needs FL to win -- that's not going to happen unless people start getting some immediate relief. DeSantis declared a state of emergency - where is the emergency relief $$ ??  He could have easily directed FEMA to set up location sites (like was done after IRMA) and handed out food cards --- anything to help.  Nothing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1762 on: April 28, 2020, 06:50:12 pm »
What is needed in FL is an IMMEDIATE remedy to the vast majority of people who have filed for unemployment and who either can't get through because of the antiquated system or who were denied and who should qualify under the CARES Act.
Every state in my region has an unemployment website that doesn't work. All we hear about on the news is people trying for weeks to make a claim online, without success.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1763 on: April 28, 2020, 07:45:36 pm »
Saw this browsing around at a "Whats on Politics site", and thought it may be of interest. Here are the largest American interests owned or majority share by China.

1. General Electric (GE)
2. AMC Theatres-
3. Smithfield Foods-  The largest pork producer
4. Legendary Entertainment Group
5. The Waldorf-Astoria
6. Strategic Hotels and Resorts
7. Riot Games
8. Sheraton Universal Hotel, Marriott Downtown Los Angeles
9. Ingram Micro
10. Motorola Mobility
11. Terex Corp
12. Teledyne Continental Motors and Mattituck Services

China also has a huge stake in the following American companies:

Morgan Stanley, VISA, Blackstone, Ford, Chesapeake Energy, and in famous American social news aggregation site Reddit.

No better way to show our Chicom enemies what we think of Wuhan flu, than hit them in their pocketbooks.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1764 on: April 28, 2020, 07:54:46 pm »
Every state in my region has an unemployment website that doesn't work. All we hear about on the news is people trying for weeks to make a claim online, without success.

Here are a few numbers to refute that complaint........  (from Lt. Gov. Jon Hustad in today's presser).....

In Ohio, since March 15 -

-459,375 people have been paid

-$1,346,291,403.77 has been paid out (that's Billion)

-1,657 employees are taking calls

-54,000 calls were successfully dealt with yesterday

-The average wait time per call was 23 minutes

-They are continuing to build capacity

-Anyone who does not get through will be back paid

We are a neighboring state whose data does not back up the complaint that websites don't work and there is no success.

« Reply #1765 on: April 28, 2020, 09:14:20 pm »
I'm not sure why he's done it, based on his personality "issues," but he seems to be listening to wise counsel and striking the right balance between protection and freedom......... both of which are in his job description (which I'm still sure he hasn't read).

Now if he'd measure his words and keep quiet most of the time, he might just win reelection......

Though I'm pretty sure doing that is beyond him.  :shrug:

@Once-Ler

President Trump thought a robust economy was going to be his legacy, but quickly recognized that his response to COVID-19 will be what he is remembered for.  He's struggling with his own nature, and that's hard.  He's got a legitimate gripe against the media, but that chip on his shoulder is preventing him from recognizing his own mistakes as real, instead of fake news.  I see him trying hard to limit that distraction.  I think he is trying very hard to think beyond what benefited his re-election 3 months ago, and recognize that happy people when you're the incumbent will win re-election easier than both sides pissing on the other and hoping his base is stronger.

At last nights press conference my President, off the cuff in answering a question, said he built the strongest economy in history.  he said it atleast a few times, but he also caught himself and said it was the American people, and then he said something very interesting.  He said "and I shut it down."  He didn't say he was forced to do it.  He didn't say he was mislead to shut it down.  He didn't say COVID-19 shut it down.  He didn't say Gov Whitmer shut it down.  No equivocation he took action.

It still hurts my TDS to say it but I think he made the right choice, because a month ago he, and the media, told me 200k American deaths might be the best we could hope for according to the experts he consulted.  If we escape this with less than 100k deaths I will credit him with saving 100k American lives.

Another thing he mentioned in response to a question was his fast response in banning travel from China.  He's said it before, but he touched on all the pertinent points last night. 
The media and rats called him racist for it.  You can't prevent 40,000 Americans from wanting to return.  Conflicting information from China, WHO, and CDC.  I was very vocal in late Feb and early March that the President was dragging his feet on COVID-19.  Knowing what I know today, I'm not sure anyone, especially Hillary would have moved faster.  I'm not saying I'm voting for him in Nov, I'm not saying he's fit to be President, but in this crisis I see the best President Trump.

We all fall short.  As long as my President is willing to say the priority is lives first, economy second, and stand in front of a camera to reassure a panicked nation, I'll continue to ignore the stuff that falls under the third, through 1,000 priorities that don't matter much. 

Thanks for your response @musiclady It made me want to write something I hope you and other will find worth the time reading. 

« Reply #1766 on: April 28, 2020, 09:25:55 pm »
Disagree.  What is needed in FL is an IMMEDIATE remedy to the vast majority of people who have filed for unemployment and who either can't get through because of the antiquated system or who were denied and who should qualify under the CARES Act. The system was shutdown for several days, because supposedly they needed the time to send the checks out!  B.S.  Millions have been out of work because of the business mandate to shutdown since March. No unemployment checks in site.  No extended unemployment relief.  DeSantis isn't going to score any points sitting up in Capitol Hill with Trump boasting how well FL is doing when we aren't.

Trump needs FL to win -- that's not going to happen unless people start getting some immediate relief. DeSantis declared a state of emergency - where is the emergency relief $$ ??  He could have easily directed FEMA to set up location sites (like was done after IRMA) and handed out food cards --- anything to help.  Nothing.

I'm sorry that is happening to you @libertybele I got my check from from the Trump stash and assumed others were doing OK.  Being ignored with no place to turn is a slap in the face.  I hope your Governor figures something out for you soon, and I feel like a skunk for joking about my Trump check.   ****slapping

I'm pretty sure President Trump wants to win FL in NOV.  Keep being the squeeky wheel. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #1767 on: April 28, 2020, 10:02:29 pm »
   I agree with that @Once-Ler    I know I rag him alot here but it's just me trying to get under the skin of some of his most Loyal and vocal supporters here that I disagree with and the smart ones know it. 
  He's got my vote in Texas, if he needs it, otherwise I'll sit it out, as I did also in 2012.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1768 on: April 28, 2020, 10:30:41 pm »
President Trump thought a robust economy was going to be his legacy, but quickly recognized that his response to COVID-19 will be what he is remembered for.  He's struggling with his own nature, and that's hard.  He's got a legitimate gripe against the media, but that chip on his shoulder is preventing him from recognizing his own mistakes as real, instead of fake news.  I see him trying hard to limit that distraction.  I think he is trying very hard to think beyond what benefited his re-election 3 months ago, and recognize that happy people when you're the incumbent will win re-election easier than both sides pissing on the other and hoping his base is stronger.

At last nights press conference my President, off the cuff in answering a question, said he built the strongest economy in history.  he said it atleast a few times, but he also caught himself and said it was the American people, and then he said something very interesting.  He said "and I shut it down."  He didn't say he was forced to do it.  He didn't say he was mislead to shut it down.  He didn't say COVID-19 shut it down.  He didn't say Gov Whitmer shut it down.  No equivocation he took action.

It still hurts my TDS to say it but I think he made the right choice, because a month ago he, and the media, told me 200k American deaths might be the best we could hope for according to the experts he consulted.  If we escape this with less than 100k deaths I will credit him with saving 100k American lives.

Another thing he mentioned in response to a question was his fast response in banning travel from China.  He's said it before, but he touched on all the pertinent points last night. 
The media and rats called him racist for it.  You can't prevent 40,000 Americans from wanting to return.  Conflicting information from China, WHO, and CDC.  I was very vocal in late Feb and early March that the President was dragging his feet on COVID-19.  Knowing what I know today, I'm not sure anyone, especially Hillary would have moved faster.  I'm not saying I'm voting for him in Nov, I'm not saying he's fit to be President, but in this crisis I see the best President Trump.

We all fall short.  As long as my President is willing to say the priority is lives first, economy second, and stand in front of a camera to reassure a panicked nation, I'll continue to ignore the stuff that falls under the third, through 1,000 priorities that don't matter much. 

Thanks for your response @musiclady It made me want to write something I hope you and other will find worth the time reading.
Wait.

I thought he was going to be remembered for being impeached. COllusion an' all 'dat.

We will see. History is a retrospective and dependent on who actually writes it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #1769 on: April 29, 2020, 12:33:53 am »
catfish wrote:
"Here are the largest American interests owned or majority share by China.
1. General Electric (GE)"

A correction:
GE sold off their appliance division (only) to the Chinese.
The rest of GE (perhaps the lion's share) remains under non-Chinese (American?) ownership...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1770 on: April 29, 2020, 02:29:40 am »
US cases surpassed a million today....

A sad day.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1771 on: April 29, 2020, 02:36:29 am »

The media and rats called him racist for it.  You can't prevent 40,000 Americans from wanting to return.  Conflicting information from China, WHO, and CDC.  I was very vocal in late Feb and early March that the President was dragging his feet on COVID-19.  Knowing what I know today, I'm not sure anyone, especially Hillary would have moved faster. I'm not saying I'm voting for him in Nov, I'm not saying he's fit to be President, but in this crisis I see the best President Trump.

Definitely worth reading.

The bolded part of your quote is where I am.   I didn't vote for him in the Ohio primary today, but he got 100% of the votes without me.  I haven't decided about November.  He still has no character, and no principles, so I can't see anything changing in terms of my supporting him, but I truly don't know.

This could be his finest hour if he could control his enormous ego and his mouth.  When he does that, though not often enough, he actually looks like a President.

I think, no matter what happens, he will have saved lives, and even if he only has one term, that would be a fine legacy.

@Once-Ler

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1772 on: April 29, 2020, 02:42:32 am »
Just imagine the Press in the US rooting for Tojo and Hitler during WWII.

That is about where we are today with this virus.

In the face of that, he's doing pretty good--in spite of them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1773 on: April 29, 2020, 04:58:44 am »
04-29-2020 | 0:00 GMT

REGIONRecov:Death     Cases:Recov
Global (excluding China & US)  4.766 ↑  2.751 ↓
United States  2.400 ↓  7.282 ↑
China 16.740 ↑  1.068 ↓

US 14-day Recovery Deficit - 403,850
Recovery Rate after 14 days - 23.5 %  ↓
Recovery Rate after 21 days - 36.3 %  ↓

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1774 on: April 29, 2020, 05:52:14 am »
catfish wrote:
"Here are the largest American interests owned or majority share by China.
1. General Electric (GE)"

A correction:
GE sold off their appliance division (only) to the Chinese.
The rest of GE (perhaps the lion's share) remains under non-Chinese (American?) ownership...

@Fishrrman

Still,they need to be financially slapped upside their heads for selling ANYTHING to the freaking Chinese.