Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2  (Read 158895 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion 2
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2020, 08:27:56 pm »
And, in the long run, not sustainable.

If responsible, conscientious people abide by the rules, then we will continue to mitigate the negative effects of the pandemic and allow hospitals to equip themselves, manufacturers to make PPE's and ventilators, keep hospital staffs healthy, train medical personnel to do other tasks, and save lives.

I continue to see that some folks still don't seem to understand the point of what's going on.

There WILL be treatments.  There WILL be a vaccine.  Lives WILL be saved.  And hospitals will NOT be overrun.

If we do what we need to do in the short run, lives will be saved in the long run.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2020, 08:32:12 pm »
Wondering if the virus has mutated??

Coronavirus sickening young adults, children: We are learning 'that everyone is at risk'

When the coronavirus first started to spread from its origins in China earlier this year, the widely preached consensus was that it did not infect – or at least did not gravely harm – children and young adults. However, public health professionals are now raising the alarm that such information provided a dangerously false sense of security and invincibility.

"It is a misconception that children can't get critically ill. Children are getting sick, but they're not getting as severe cases," Dr. John Whyte, Chief Medical Officer at WebMD, told Fox News. "The highest rate of severe cases and deaths remains the elderly. But what we are learning is that everyone is at risk."

A study released this week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) concluded that of the 4,226 coronavirus – officially termed COVID-19 – cases reported in the United States as of March 16, 29 percent were of those in the 20 to 44 age range. And in New York City, now the international epicenter of the pathogen, around half the confirmed infections were of individuals aged between 18 and 44...................

https://www.foxnews.com/health/why-young-adults-children-falling-ill-coronavirus

Calm down @libertybele

Coronavirus has 'stable genome,' study suggests, so vaccine could help 'over many years'
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2020, 08:36:31 pm »
If responsible, conscientious people abide by the rules, then we will continue to mitigate the negative effects of the pandemic and allow hospitals to equip themselves, manufacturers to make PPE's and ventilators, keep hospital staffs healthy, train medical personnel to do other tasks, and save lives.

I continue to see that some folks still don't seem to understand the point of what's going on.

There WILL be treatments.  There WILL be a vaccine.  Lives WILL be saved.  And hospitals will NOT be overrun.

If we do what we need to do in the short run, lives will be saved in the long run.

I'm sorry @musiclady but that is just flat out wrong!  I have not seen anyone here say that this is not serious or that we don't need to take every sensible precaution. What I and some other here HAVE indeed said is that shutting down the entire economy over it is NOT reasonable.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2020, 08:37:03 pm »
And, in the long run, not sustainable.

That is technically exactly right.

Quarantine requires control over an air gap. ZERO possible vectors. Nothing in. Nothing penetrating the perimeter, except through a highly controlled gate.

The longer the quarantine, the more resupply. The more exposure, the more vectors.

The protocols currently in place are not stringent in any fashion, and thereby, not effective.
Again, in the aggregate: useless.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2020, 08:39:45 pm »
That is technically exactly right.

Quarantine requires control over an air gap. ZERO possible vectors. Nothing in. Nothing penetrating the perimeter, except through a highly controlled gate.

The longer the quarantine, the more resupply. The more exposure, the more vectors.

The protocols currently in place are not stringent in any fashion, and thereby, not effective.
Again, in the aggregate: useless.

On top of that, people won't stand for it, for long.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2020, 08:40:20 pm »
I'm sorry @musiclady but that is just flat out wrong!  I have not seen anyone here say that this is not serious or that we don't need to take every sensible precaution. What I and some other here HAVE indeed said is that shutting down the entire economy over it is NOT reasonable.

I'm not saying you aren't taking it seriously.

I'm saying you don't UNDERSTAND what is going on.

And that is all I'm going to say.

You will be on Ignore for the next few weeks to keep me from responding to your posts again.

Keeping the peace, and all that.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:22 pm »

:amen:

I figure it's not only wise, but my patriotic duty to my fellow Americans to follow my President's 15 day guideline, and my Governor, and the experts, and the unanimous Congress, and the news media, who all urge me to have patience and not promote the spread.   So until the rising daily fatalities of Americans starts tapering off I will do it. 

But I recognize that every #Masshole has a Constitutional right to their own opinion

Offline musiclady

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:37 pm »

That's why responsible state leaders are working diligently to keep the economy alive so that when this is waning, things can be brought back online and the full economic recovery will occur.

NO one thinks this is sustainable, that's why these measures won't be sustained past the point where they are absolutely necessary.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2020, 08:43:23 pm »
I'm not saying you aren't taking it seriously.

I'm saying you don't UNDERSTAND what is going on.

And that is all I'm going to say.

You will be on Ignore for the next few weeks to keep me from responding to your posts again.

Keeping the peace, and all that.

That's fine but understand this! Setting your hair of fire and running around in a panicked circle solves
 NOTHING!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2020, 08:44:53 pm »

I figure it's not only wise, but my patriotic duty to my fellow Americans to follow my President's 15 day guideline, and my Governor, and the experts, and the unanimous Congress, and the news media, who all urge me to have patience and not promote the spread.   So until the rising daily fatalities of Americans starts tapering off I will do it. 

But I recognize that every #Masshole has a Constitutional right to their own opinion

As will every responsible citizen.

Fortunately people who actually DO know what's going on and are basing their opinions on facts are presently making the decisions necessary to preserve lives and ultimately our economy.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2020, 08:46:41 pm »

Months is not a "short run." It is upending the entire economy, isolating people and causing mass psychological trauma.

Even the measures used in the flu pandemic of 1918 only lasted a few weeks. It's not as simple as "stay home." People need contact with each other. They need to socialize, in person. And when they are barred from doing that, they need concrete answers on when they'll be able to do it again.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2020, 08:49:05 pm »

I'm doing what I can in that department, but it's wearing on me. I'm thankful to have a family support network but I'm missing a lot of things that we've lost quite dearly, and without any real answers as to when they'll be back, it only makes it worse.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2020, 08:50:48 pm »
Months is not a "short run." It is upending the entire economy, isolating people and causing mass psychological trauma.

Even the measures used in the flu pandemic of 1918 only lasted a few weeks. It's not as simple as "stay home." People need contact with each other. They need to socialize, in person. And when they are barred from doing that, they need concrete answers on when they'll be able to do it again.
How many people, going into this, were prepared for even a couple of months of being out of work and having limited resupply?

Empty store shelves all over still say, "Not many."

Start talking 6 months, and most people will be out of money, supplies, and likely have defaulted on any loans they have, including mortgages. It'll make The Grapes of Wrath look like a homecoming parade.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2020, 08:59:20 pm »
The Spanish flu came in three waves covering nearly a year:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:34 pm »

No, people CAN'T stand it for long. Sixty days out, at this scale won't simply be making do - It will be crash and burn for most small business, and almost all households.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2020, 09:06:57 pm »
How many people, going into this, were prepared for even a couple of months of being out of work and having limited resupply?

Empty store shelves all over still say, "Not many."

Start talking 6 months, and most people will be out of money, supplies, and likely have defaulted on any loans they have, including mortgages. It'll make The Grapes of Wrath look like a homecoming parade.

More like TWO months. Even one month off will put most behind the eight-ball.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2020, 09:11:41 pm »

I agree with you on this, Bigun.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2020, 09:12:53 pm »
That's why responsible state leaders are working diligently to keep the economy alive .  .  .

By cutting off commerce?  Government can't "keep the economy alive".  Government can only impede it.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2020, 09:15:22 pm »
That's fine but understand this! Setting your hair of fire and running around in a panicked circle solves
 NOTHING!

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:07 pm »

#TRUEDAT

Offline jpsb

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2020, 09:20:27 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2020, 09:22:18 pm »
I'm doing what I can in that department, but it's wearing on me. I'm thankful to have a family support network but I'm missing a lot of things that we've lost quite dearly, and without any real answers as to when they'll be back, it only makes it worse.

Thank you for your response.

President Trump hasn't golfed in 3 weeks.  We all know how you feel, and we all pray we will be sleeping better soon.  The President has said on many occasions and in many ways that we want to solve this with "the fewest lives lost," because "we have the best people" and we will need them when this crisis is over and we want to recover the fastest.  Unfortunately, mean ol' Dr Fauci says "the virus will decide the timeline."  I know our President wants a healthy and wealthy country to be his legacy.  I don't know if he is fit for the task, but we can't change quarterbacks today, and the good news is, as our President has reminded us in every press conference he recognizes "We have the best people."  As often as I complain about his speeches, conferences, and tweets I actually think President Trump has displayed more leadership in the last 2 weeks than his first 3 years.  He has had good days and great days since he declared a National Emergency.  His message has been remarkably consistent "follow my guideline for 15 days."  In a few days we will have an updated guideline and it will most assuredly address medical, and fiscal issues.

The reason why they can't provide real answers is because we don't have them yet.  Hopefully we will have some soon.

Stay healthy @jmyrlefuller     

Offline jpsb

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2020, 09:23:32 pm »
That's why responsible state leaders are working diligently to keep the economy alive so that when this is waning, things can be brought back online and the full economic recovery will occur.

NO one thinks this is sustainable, that's why these measures won't be sustained past the point where they are absolutely necessary.

:thumbsup:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2020, 09:29:30 pm »
More like TWO months. Even one month off will put most behind the eight-ball.

I could do 3, 4 months easy. But I'd have to stock up on dog food. I only keep a week or two of dog food.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:35 pm »
On a lighter note -- I just saw a kid on a minibike pulling another kid on a skateboard.  It looked hilarious.  Kids are board.  Parks are closed. Schools are closed.

On a more serious note -- I just received a public safety alert from my county to stay home this weekend to avoid the spread of Covid-19.  Well, folks, we've been home for the most part for the past 2 weeks.  We have 76 cases and 4 deaths.  Not good.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.