Author Topic: Coronavirus poses dreadful choice for global leaders: Wreck your economy or lose millions of lives  (Read 244 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Coronavirus poses dreadful choice for global leaders: Wreck your economy or lose millions of lives
By David Lauter Washington Bureau Chief

The coronavirus pandemic has confronted governments around the globe with the ultimate bad choice: Wreck your economy or lose millions of lives.

While some initially hesitated, leaders and legislators in the United States and worldwide increasingly have decided they have to accept the severe economic pain.

“Everything else will come back,” President Trump said Tuesday even as the economic downturn and global turmoil deepened. “Lives won’t come back.”

Read more at:  https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-03-18/coronavirus-poses-dreadful-choice-for-global-leaders-wreck-your-economy-or-lose-millions-of-lives

Exactly, lose-lose situation and even if the President does the right thing, undoubtedly, whenever the economy falters, a president is blamed though, it's silly to blame him for this.

I don't go along with those saying, let's go back to normal because the worse case scenario is the virus could be too powerful even for that.

Online Hoodat

Wreck your economy or lose millions of lives?  Millions of lives?  Good grief, stop it already.  Just stop.  Cease and desist the posting of leftist pre-election propaganda on this forum.  It is not a choice of sacrificing millions of lives to keep the economy going.  Think, man.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

The infection curves showed the same number of cases under either plan.  I think Trump probably should have just let everyone do their thing and take reasonable precautions depending on their overall health.  He could have still invoked the war powers to expedite the production of respirators, protective equipment, and temporary hospital facilities. 

Now it seems we're going to have 2 years of death accompanied by a severe economic contraction.  It's a tough situation.  The right course of action won't be obvious until this is over ... and may be debatable even then. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 09:29:02 pm by cato potatoe »

Online Hoodat

Only one thing left to do at this point.  Cook up some red beans and rice.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

...Wreck your economy or lose millions of lives.

Trump deserves credit for putting the safety of Americans first. It's sad we have such a dishonest media and Rat party. As bad as the Wuhan Flu, or China Virus, may be we are not going to see millions die. I would bet that we will see less than 15,000. Any death is regrettable but lets put it in perspective.

600,000 die every year from cancer

650,000 die every year from heart disease

20,000 - 30,000 die every year from the flu

Trump was in an impossible position. He could have had warnings issued for the elderly, or he could attempt to protect all Americans.

The economy is a mess right now. It won't be a mess in 6 months, if not sooner. Trump will be a hero and all the criticism of him will sound hollow. He will win big in Nov. and so will the Pubs.

I don't know about anyone else, but I believe Goldman Saks when they say the S&P 500 will shoot back up to 3200.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home