Author Topic: McConnell urging GOP-appointed judges to retire this year: report  (Read 549 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell urging GOP-appointed judges to retire this year: report
By Harper Neidig - 03/17/20 10:52 AM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his colleagues have been encouraging some federal judges appointed by Republican presidents to retire this year in order to ensure that their seats will be filled by ideological allies, The New York Times is reporting.

According to the Times, which cited multiple people familiar with McConnell's efforts, the Senate leader has been talking with senior judges to gauge their plans for the future and telling them that the best time to retire is while the GOP is in control of the White House and Senate.

The move shows that the GOP is preparing for the possibility that it lose control of either the upper chamber or the presidency or both in the looming election in November, which would bring to a halt the massive success the party has had in pushing the federal judiciary to the right with rapid confirmations of ideologically conservative judicial nominees.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/487982-mcconnell-urging-gop-appointed-judges-to-retire-this-year-report
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: McConnell urging GOP-appointed judges to retire this year: report
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 03:14:38 pm »
You don't usually see this kind of behavior from a party confident in their re-election.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »
You don't usually see this kind of behavior from a party confident in their re-election.

Well...you do if that party has two brain cells to rub together. Plan for the worst and work your butt off to achieve the best. Seems the common sense approach...particularly in times of national crisis. Doubly see when you are the Senatorial party with many more seats up for re-election. Don’t confuse realism with pessimism.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:39:30 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »
Well...you do if that party has two brain cells to rub together. Plan for the worst and work your butt off to achieve the best. Seems the common sense approach...particularly in times of national crisis. Doubly see when you are the Senatorial party with many more seats up for re-election. Don’t confuse realism with pessimism.

@Mesaclone Thank you for the reply.  I understand your points, and I'd like to think I have two brain cells, but from my perspective the President is occupied with damage control.  He might be less than thrilled about being forced to do a lot of vetting to prevent further political embarrassment.  I have a hunch the GOP is going to be politically damaged by the coronavirus mostly due to the President, so If I was a Republican during this National Emergency...A National Emergency that was freaking people out to the point they were buying guns, stockpiling food and medical supplies, and panic selling away 3 years of growth...well then I would want every story to be about the GOP fixing some of that.  I wouldn't want the news story to be about judges, or investigations into Hunter Biden.  But I'll admit I don't understand what motivates the GOP anymore.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 08:32:44 pm »
@Mesaclone Thank you for the reply.  I understand your points, and I'd like to think I have two brain cells, but from my perspective the President is occupied with damage control.  He might be less than thrilled about being forced to do a lot of vetting to prevent further political embarrassment.  I have a hunch the GOP is going to be politically damaged by the coronavirus mostly due to the President, so If I was a Republican during this National Emergency...A National Emergency that was freaking people out to the point they were buying guns, stockpiling food and medical supplies, and panic selling away 3 years of growth...well then I would want every story to be about the GOP fixing some of that.  I wouldn't want the news story to be about judges, or investigations into Hunter Biden.  But I'll admit I don't understand what motivates the GOP anymore.

You seem to be emoting, simply taking your feelings of dislike and disapproval of the President and seeking out confirmation bias within various media narratives related to our Coronavirus response...without acknowledging that the source of these narratives is deeply partisan and starkly lacking any factual support.

In evidentiary terms, the President and his administration have been light years ahead of European, Chinese and other world nations in mitigating this situation and in terms of getting information out to the public....DESPITE a media that is deliberately and almost absurdly partisan. The early bans on Chinese, Italian and Iranian travel...and the quick ban on European travel...have been decisive and seemingly effective. Further, States have been given access to vast federal resources and even rivals like Gavin Newsome have...at times...been, grudgingly, forced to express gratitude to the President for his response and support. Further, in putting the VP in charge of outbreak management and in placing Dr. Fauci as the centerpiece of our national response...he has communicated his seriousness and focus on this issue. As importantly, he is setting an example that our national response be decisive and honest whilst still advocating against panic and absurdities like stocking toilet paper.

As to the markets, pumping cash into the system and coordinating with banks to advance any and virtually all cash reserves for struggling businesses...advocating for extensive use of sick leave...and he is now talking of payroll tax cuts and other "pumping" of the economic drivers that will, over time, reassure the markets and set things up for a spring-loaded bounce once we hit the downside of the viral infection curve.

Put directly, the President has taken sharp and effective mitigative actions to flatten the viral curve, calm the markets to the extent they CAN be calmed, and to reassure citizens not to panic. The media can paint this any way they'd like, and yes there will be imperfections in our response...particularly visible in hindsight as is always the case in a crisis...but a strong pattern of extraordinarily good decision making throughout this crisis.

What "motivates" the GOP is not confusing or complex. Common sense and conservative policy that puts taking care of the people of THIS nation first...and strong leadership that won't wilt in the face of a partisan media barrage.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:35:58 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:52 am »
I agree with Mr. McConnell.

Let's "re-fill" these conservative seats with as many conservative judges as possible while we still have a Senate to confirm new nominees.

Too bad sitting federal judges can't be offered a "retirement incentive" to step down. But I sense that would require Congressional approval, which you ain't gettin' from this Congress...

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 03:41:14 am »
You seem to be emoting, simply taking your feelings of dislike and disapproval of the President and seeking out confirmation bias within various media narratives related to our Coronavirus response...without acknowledging that the source of these narratives is deeply partisan and starkly lacking any factual support.

In evidentiary terms, the President and his administration have been light years ahead of European, Chinese and other world nations in mitigating this situation and in terms of getting information out to the public....DESPITE a media that is deliberately and almost absurdly partisan. The early bans on Chinese, Italian and Iranian travel...and the quick ban on European travel...have been decisive and seemingly effective. Further, States have been given access to vast federal resources and even rivals like Gavin Newsome have...at times...been, grudgingly, forced to express gratitude to the President for his response and support. Further, in putting the VP in charge of outbreak management and in placing Dr. Fauci as the centerpiece of our national response...he has communicated his seriousness and focus on this issue. As importantly, he is setting an example that our national response be decisive and honest whilst still advocating against panic and absurdities like stocking toilet paper.

As to the markets, pumping cash into the system and coordinating with banks to advance any and virtually all cash reserves for struggling businesses...advocating for extensive use of sick leave...and he is now talking of payroll tax cuts and other "pumping" of the economic drivers that will, over time, reassure the markets and set things up for a spring-loaded bounce once we hit the downside of the viral infection curve.

Put directly, the President has taken sharp and effective mitigative actions to flatten the viral curve, calm the markets to the extent they CAN be calmed, and to reassure citizens not to panic. The media can paint this any way they'd like, and yes there will be imperfections in our response...particularly visible in hindsight as is always the case in a crisis...but a strong pattern of extraordinarily good decision making throughout this crisis.

What "motivates" the GOP is not confusing or complex. Common sense and conservative policy that puts taking care of the people of THIS nation first...and strong leadership that won't wilt in the face of a partisan media barrage.

Thanx again for your substantive reply.  Rather than argue it point by point, I'll let our statements stand as stated, and sincere opinions based on our own observations.  Stay healthy @Mesaclone

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:53:23 pm »

Let's "re-fill" these conservative seats with as many conservative judges as possible while we still have a Senate to confirm new nominees.

Too bad sitting federal judges can't be offered a "retirement incentive" to step down. But I sense that would require Congressional approval, which you ain't gettin' from this Congress...

Slow and steady. Replace conservative judges with younger conservative judges.
On average that will extend the interval where conservative judges prevail.

A smart move.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:58:26 pm »

Slow and steady. Replace conservative judges with younger conservative judges.
On average that will extend the interval where conservative judges prevail.

A smart move.

If this COVID-19 crisis has not abated, and recesssion hits big time, we may be looking at full blown blue wave-  Dim POTUS, Senate, and House.

A conservative judiciary, may be one of our last lines of defense left.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 01:15:43 pm »
If this COVID-19 crisis has not abated, and recesssion hits big time, we may be looking at full blown blue wave-  Dim POTUS, Senate, and House.

A conservative judiciary, may be one of our last lines of defense left.

Yes. We've got to get ahold of ourselves and fast.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 11:36:44 pm »

@Fishrrman

BINGO!

And early retirement should be all the reward they need. After all,nothing is keeping them from joining a major law firm.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:38:24 pm »

@catfish1957

Why else do you think the media and the left are ranting and raving about it day and night. They had no chance at all of beating Trump before this,and they see this as a gift.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!