Author Topic: World Coronavirus News II with Updates  (Read 64764 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: World Coronavirus News II with Updates
« Reply #1325 on: April 11, 2020, 06:16:24 pm »
uh huh

I don't have any money.

I do have a fantastic wife. 34 years.

She woke me up at 5 this morning.

Leg cramps. So I stretched her legs behind her ears.

Last Sunday my son came over to report his water heater totally blew. I had pneumnia and really didn't feel like I wanted to be in the wind and 'cold' 45. 45 ain't bad. The wind chill was.

New water heater. From Home Depot.

Yesterday when I got home the DIL said she had no hot water. Breaker popped, wouldn't reset.

My son has some experience  with electrical. So I had that headstart. One hot leg had a break in the wire about an inch below the top of where it comes out of the water heater. Not going into all of the details. Fortunately I pulled the wire up enough from the break to reconnect.

My DIL asked me if they would warranty it.  I LOLed. Told her if she thought they had a chance...against me...to bring her camera.  So she could video one size fits any anyhole. I didn't go cheap. That water heater has a ten year warranty+. The last water heater I put in there was 17 yers ago. But damn, price seemed higher now.  :shrug:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1326 on: April 11, 2020, 06:47:05 pm »

I'm buying metals....

I'm buying beans.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1327 on: April 11, 2020, 06:51:24 pm »
If a person didn't have money in the bank, they'd be screwed at this point.

I HAVE money in the bank. I just can't get at it. The assumption that everyone has debit cards and electronic banking is not true.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Ted Cruz speculates China inadvertently released and attempted cover-up of coronavirus
by Anthony Leonardi | April 08, 2020 09:02 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz said the novel coronavirus may have inadvertently escaped from a Chinese laboratory and that his theory "explains" China's cover-up of the virus.

During a radio interview on The Michael Berry Show, the Texas Republican said it was possible China accidentally released the virus from a laboratory near Wuhan, China, and assigned blame to the communist government for the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States.

"What there's a real possibility of is that it accidentally escaped, that somebody accidentally got infected. They're studying the virus, and they accidentally got bitten or scratched, or somehow got the virus. And then they took it out and inadvertently caused the outbreak. And I got to say, that would explain a lot of the Chinese government's panicked efforts to cover this up," Cruz said.

Read more at: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ted-cruz-speculates-china-inadvertently-released-and-attempted-cover-up-of-the-coronavirus

Online DB

« Reply #1329 on: April 11, 2020, 09:25:49 pm »
I bought an affordable place, at the time gauging bills against one of two incomes, with one on unemployment, even though we were both employed. It's paid for now, but according to the tax district, is now worth six times what I paid for it (up over 40% from last year, no improvements, in a dying economy oil patch town). Those sort of arbitrary and unpredictable bills are the ones that get you, and the folks in government are skilled indeed at throwing those monkey wrenches into the works..

Prop 13 was one of the few things California got right.

Online DB

« Reply #1330 on: April 11, 2020, 09:34:55 pm »
I HAVE money in the bank. I just can't get at it. The assumption that everyone has debit cards and electronic banking is not true.

Why don't you like electronic banking? I've been using electronic banking since it was first available in the early 90's. It was a dial up bulletin board style connection back then. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem. In fact multiple times I was saved late charges on mortgage payments where the mortgage company claimed I paid late but the electronic records said otherwise. In every instance of that (there were multiple from the same dumb ass mortgage company) my bank straightened it out directly not needing my involvement short of letting them know about it. Paying by check would have been a disaster.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1331 on: April 11, 2020, 09:41:21 pm »
I'm buying alcohol...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:07:27 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #1332 on: April 11, 2020, 09:54:46 pm »
Why don't you like electronic banking? I've been using electronic banking since it was first available in the early 90's. It was a dial up bulletin board style connection back then. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem. In fact multiple times I was saved late charges on mortgage payments where the mortgage company claimed I paid late but the electronic records said otherwise. In every instance of that (there were multiple from the same dumb ass mortgage company) my bank straightened it out directly not needing my involvement short of letting them know about it. Paying by check would have been a disaster.

The lion's share of that is to counter my tendency to be introverted. I have a weird split in my personality. I am a very gregarious sort, if given the opportunity, but my tendency is to be satisfied with my own company.

So I make it a point, once a month, to get my banking done in person, and then go around and pay my bills in person, and then get groceries and possibles as needed, thus relieving, at least for a time, my tendency toward being (relatively) alone.

I also make it a point, once a month, to go out to a sit-down dinner somewhere, picking a different establishment every time... gets me out of my ruts - Something that occurs naturally with a woman around, but left to my own devices, it is a discipline.

Likewise my decision nearing a decade ago, to simplify my life... Coming out of town, and back into country living. I deal with cash money. No checkbook. No loans. No payments. All cash on the barrelhead. Simple. Gloriously inefficient and organic. And a hard line toward living within my means.

I have said I am a basement geek. Introverted and tech-oriented. The other half of me is a luddite that lives outside, always around animals, always hunting and fishing. Finding joy as a tinker, fixing things others throw away.

The one way, I make tons of money and spend tons of money... The other way, I am happy. So I am hedging toward happy and leaving the other behind.

See?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #1333 on: April 11, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »
Iceland coronavirus testing shows half who test positive show no symptoms
Washington Examiner, Apr 11, 2020

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/iceland-coronavirus-testing-shows-half-who-test-positive-show-no-symptoms

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Shouldn't this be moved to "Politics" @TomSea

Offline TomSea

My view is it could be both, the same for AG Barr saying China was our biggest threat. It is dealing with China afte rall.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
He is basically saying what everyone in the entire world suspects, but no one apparently dares say. I am not sure whose behavior has been worse: the Chinese or the WHO that covered for them.

We expect deceit from China, but the WHO is supposed to have credibility as a caretaker of world health.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
But, but........he's lyin Ted Cruz!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1338 on: April 12, 2020, 01:35:48 am »
Dutch coronavirus cases rise by 1,316 to 24,413: health authorities

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the Netherlands rose by 1,316 on Saturday to 24,413, health authorities said, with 132 new deaths.

Read more at:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-netherlands-tally/dutch-coronavirus-cases-rise-by-1316-to-24413-health-authorities-idUSKCN21T0MD

It appears a fairly big jump but we need all facts and figures.

State minister says India set to extend nationwide lockdown to tackle coronavirus

Modi’s government said only that it was still considering states’ requests and that they mostly wanted a two-week extension to the 21-day lockdown, which is due to end on Tuesday.

Read more at:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southasia/state-minister-says-india-set-to-extend-nationwide-lockdown-to-tackle-coronavirus-idUSKCN21T085

Why coronavirus could be catastrophic for Venezuela

With a health system that is already on its knees, the arrival of coronavirus is a frightening prospect.
Quick to lock down

Within days of Venezuela recording its first cases of Covid-19 in the middle of March, President Maduro ordered a national quarantine to try and stop its spread.

See more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52204225?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.com/news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1339 on: April 12, 2020, 02:07:21 am »
India set to ship drug sought by Trump for coronavirus

This week India allowed some exports of the drug and Trump has thanked New Delhi for the decision.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-india-drugmakers/india-set-to-ship-drug-sought-by-trump-for-coronavirus-idUSKCN21S1A7

So, if one missed it, sounds like we are getting this hydroxychloroquine from India among, surely, others.

More world news at Reuters:   https://www.reuters.com/news/world

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1340 on: April 12, 2020, 02:09:31 am »
So, if one missed it, sounds like we are getting this hydroxychloroquine from India among, surely, others.

More world news at Reuters:   https://www.reuters.com/news/world

They have the largest supply because of the high malaria rates in the country.  IIRC they also have some of the lowest mortality rats from Chinese Corona Virus despite being a nation of 1.3 billion.

Makes sense they'd be able to ship us large amounts of the medicine.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1341 on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:51 am »
So many articles, I think I read Israelis can not go out without having a mask on... face covering.  Turkey sent a bunch of aid to the UK.

And then, this:

Duterte mulls selling government assets as last resort

Christina Mendez (The Philippine Star
) - April 12, 2020 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines — President Duterte is eyeing the sale of government assets as a last resort to keep the country afloat as the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic continues to claim lives and ravage the economy.

In a televised address late Thursday, Duterte said he would dispose of the Cultural Center of the Philippines and the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), among others, if the country’s financial condition worsens.

“What is the endgame? If we really run out of money, I will sell all the property of the government,” he said.

Read more at: https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2020/04/12/2006727/duterte-mulls-selling-government-assets-last-resort

Offline Gemmarose

« Reply #1342 on: April 12, 2020, 02:36:54 am »
This was just sent to me thought I would share
Democracy is the worse form of government known to man, with the exception of every other form of government known to man.
-Winston Churchill

Online libertybele

« Reply #1343 on: April 12, 2020, 02:41:59 am »
This was just sent to me thought I would share

We shall see ... once I see that the number of cases in my area are not increasing as rapidly or new cases starting to decline -- I'm out of quarantine ... and I am extremely high risk. 

Only problem is ... there is a possibility that things will still be closed ... but I'm hoping that they'll re-open the parks and beaches!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1344 on: April 12, 2020, 03:02:47 am »
We shall see ... once I see that the number of cases in my area are not increasing as rapidly or new cases starting to decline -- I'm out of quarantine ... and I am extremely high risk. 

Only problem is ... there is a possibility that things will still be closed ... but I'm hoping that they'll re-open the parks and beaches!!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I got 15-20 minutes into it and it looks pretty interesting so far.... Hopefully time will allow me to watch the rest tomorrow (after my garden work).... Garden has been keeping me busy and I miss my TBR buddies.

Boy Spring Time is very welcomed.  It is so nice to be able to soak up some fresh air and sunshine.  I need to get going on the garden too.  Rototilling.  I usually wait to make sure that the rain isn't going to spoil the seeds.  I have done that more than once.  My garden is in a spot that collects water when we get our big rains in Washington.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
He is basically saying what everyone in the entire world suspects, but no one apparently dares say. I am not sure whose behavior has been worse: the Chinese or the WHO that covered for them.

We expect deceit from China, but the WHO is supposed to have credibility as a caretaker of world health.

I may not matter but I will say it.  I believe that it is true.  Not feeling comfortable with Trump and his communications with the Chinese dictator last month.  I fully expect that the world to hold China accountable for this.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You  don't have to have a PhD in virology to understand the implications of this: https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3985

Published in November 2015, in Nature, the abstract details the creation of a chimera virus from Bat borne Coronavirus SHCO14 and a mouse adapted SARS-CoV backbone (viral fragment) that
On the basis of these findings, we synthetically re-derived an infectious full-length SHC014 recombinant virus and demonstrate robust viral replication both in vitro and in vivo.
and
. The results indicate that group 2b viruses encoding the SHC014 spike in a wild-type backbone can efficiently use multiple orthologs of the SARS receptor human angiotensin converting enzyme II (ACE2), replicate efficiently in primary human airway cells and achieve in vitro titers equivalent to epidemic strains of SARS-CoV.[/b] Additionally, in vivo experiments demonstrate replication of the chimeric virus in mouse lung with notable pathogenesis. Evaluation of available SARS-based immune-therapeutic and prophylactic modalities revealed poor efficacy; both monoclonal antibody and vaccine approaches failed to neutralize and protect from infection with CoVs using the novel spike protein.
(quotes from the abstract)

Two of the researchers on this particular project (who are co-authors) went back to their jobs at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China.

That is just too much to be coincidental. Wet Market, my arse.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

The CDC went right along with them and IMHO it took the CDC some time before they actually dared to declare an epidemic and then a pandemic.

The U.N., and WHO are proving to be worthless!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1349 on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:53 am »
Reagan alumni, Economist, Prof Steve Hanke chronicles India's experience on this, for some reason he has it in for Modi and paints a negative picture. And he works for John Hopkins U but not apparently, in the health side of thigns.

Prof. Steve Hanke
@steve_hanke
·
2h
#Modi's #Lockdown does nothing to address #India's weak #Healthcare capacity. There are just 0.7 beds per 1,000 people. Even if 0.03% of rural Indians become infected, #Hospitals will be overwhelmed.
It takes action, not PR stunts, to fight #COVIDー19.
Prof. Steve Hanke
@steve_hanke
·
2h
#Modi's #India is unprepared for #Coronavirus. He has spent all his time telling Indians to applaud & light candles. With #Testing at woefully low levels at 137 tests per 1M pop, it is dawning on everyone: 'Dear Leader' has no plan. #ModiMadeDisaster.

And he praises Bill Gates at his twitter (along the lines that the private sector will develop something)

https://twitter.com/steve_hanke

Brazil too, is to be watched in all of this.